AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 235 66.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 22.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 7.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.28%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.40%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-19, 05:47   Link #81
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Okay, so I watched it again. Now I really see and hear how good that concert is. One of the great sequences in all anime?

I could certainly find minor fault here and there: they sometimes attempt more movements than can be made to look smooth, like one time when Kyon was walking. And Haruhi's distorted face was a bit too much for me.

But that didn't stop me giving the episode a ten. This ep had that great animation, and also great character development and conveying of feeling.

And I realized the that the things going on in the background were not just fun easter eggs. When I saw them again, they gave me a feeling of a real world there, with various things going on at the same time, ready to come together later.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-06-19, 06:43   Link #82
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
My definition of perfect is flawless in every possible way, [...] I immediately could not give it a perfect)
Wooaah... Cool, cool. I understand how you see things, you understand how I see it I love forums.

Quote:
Of all the chapters I would have liked to have seen Snow Mountain Syndrome tops the list
Spoiler:
Either that or the one where
Spoiler:
. Basically if they had balanced out TsunTsun Haruhi and DereDere Haruhi a bit more it would have been a lot better, instead we get 80% TsunTsun 5% DereDere and 15% inbetween.
Sigh there's so much more to show? Actually, I think that KyoAni is deliberately keeping the pace of Haruhi's development slow. I mean, 11, 12 episodes to finally get to the more human Haruhi. Thats why I think they didnt include those chapters. But I would to see them. You know. I've never before, but I'm actually starting to want a S2.

Btw, could someone explain whats Tsun and Dere? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
And Haruhi's distorted face was a bit too much for me. [...] And I realized the that the things going on in the background were not just fun easter eggs. When I saw them again, they gave me a feeling of a real world there, with various things going on at the same time, ready to come together later.
I liked those expressions very much She was putting her all into it. Yeah, I also got that feeling from those happenings in the background. I can't find any betters words, so: it was a Simultaneous, Chronological timeline.

Old 2006-06-19, 06:53   Link #83
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I think the cinematography is the thing that is the most rewarding for me to behold. The camera movement on the stage and all the minute details really come together to create perhaps one of the best rendition of a school festival in recent memory.

This is Haruhi's moment to shine but every other character comes along for the ride. The added parts here and there do not weaken the chapter in the novel. I agree with the sentiment that the number of songs is just right and serves their purpose. The facial expressions are golden. Kudos for Kyoani with this (I remember seeing this sparingly in AIR)

On the marking scheme, I think of 10 as a relative thing. There's no way that anything can achieve true perfection therefore I think achieving the 'best of possible world' is far more realistic. Using that as full mark to me is reasonable.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-19, 07:03   Link #84
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
YUKI FTW!!!

She is the Guitar Goddess!!!

Yuki absolutely rocked that place down, she was banging out those fantastic solo!! Go yuki!

Although not a Yuki-centric episode just seeing cool yuki show off he 1337-ness was enough for me. Yuki banzai.

oh, was it just me or did that band remind me of the real life all female alternative Rock band, "ZONE"?

The drummer was also a cute thing too.... what was the name of that fictional band? ENOZ?

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-06-19 at 07:21.
Old 2006-06-19, 07:16   Link #85
bluemist
i am the mist

I'm floored. This is the best episode yet, and if you ask me, I would have preferred this one to be the last in chronological broadcast order (meaning Melancholy V and VI should have gone first).

Kyon's very first genuine smile towards Haruhi, then that long scroll to the horizon in the end plus the music made me feel that way. I wonder if any of you felt the same way. If anything, this feels more 'ending-like' than the real Episode 14.
Old 2006-06-19, 07:32   Link #86
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Now now, anything on Yuutsu's prohibited material and we shaltn't spoil anything as now it's not the time...

Should anything think that S.Haruhi has really turns around to dere, remember this: The day of Sagittarius happens after this festival.

Haruhi may not be an Aeon, but to me... this person's a demiurge. She is incredable yet 'flawed'. I like her a great deal (though that can be said for anyone in the series)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-19, 08:39   Link #87
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Btw, could someone explain whats Tsun and Dere? Thanks!
Here is a definition post by kj1980 about tsundere: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=29911

Regarding the 1-10 point scheme that we use to award our anime, I think a little bit of maturity will help some particular posters here. The fact is, everyone has their own particular measuring stick; people use a combination of some factors including enjoyment, technical achievement, meaning, consistency and even "absolute perfection". Point is, everyone's 1-10 scale is subjectively scaled, and it's just a rough marker of how good the particular episode is to the viewer.

I'm not quite sure, then, how people can complain about anime series or shows getting 10s. Sure, you don't understand, you don't give it a 10.. but you have to be quite a self-centered person to not realize that there are other people in this world who have different perspectival views. Even if their marking schemas are founded upon childish or ridiculous factors like panty exposure; that is their full right to determine what they want to see in a show. For one, I do find it quite amusing and even a little frustrating that Fate/Stay Night has so many supporters who really don't see its flaws, and to me that almost reeks of riding on "trend" waves. But I can understand the strengths of the show in its characters..

As such, I do think that people in general need to make some space in their worlds for a variety of viewpoints from other people.

Getting back to the show -- I won't be suprised if rotoscopy was employed for the Yuki-electric guitar scenes. That is some damn fine animation.. I think what lacks mention here are the animated scenes where Haruhi seems to exert herself at the mid-end of her first song. While a good attempt to communicate a sense of exertion, I thought it ruined alot of the aesthetic factor.. definitely didn't like it.

It's also interesting to note the "dere" discussion. We shouldn't expect Haruhi to be "dere" all the way even after these sort of epiphanies in her daily experiences.. her dereness is like an oasis in the desert Exceedingly rare. She'll most probably maintain her bullish self and occassionally reveal the softer side.
Old 2006-06-19, 09:12   Link #88
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Except the way I see it, I don't think Haruhi yet realizes what her dream is, I honestly think what she really wants is friends and that she's been shutting herself in all this time and isolating herself due to a character flaw. I think now where they are in episode 12 she realizes that she is not the great all-important perfect leader of the SOS-Brigade. If you want to think that Haruhi is going to remain a static character throughout the novels who is always self-centred always cruel, and always controlling fine, that's a possible ending, although a really depressing and sad one. I however, think Haruhi will eventually open up more and more as the novel progresses, the third party will continue to press her for a reaction and things will eventually come to a boiling point. What's key here, is what is Haruhi's real dream, is it what is presented on the surface (Finding aliens and stuff), or something that lies deep within her psyche, that she is only starting to become aware of as of episode 12's time period.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. I believed Haruhi's dream never changed, only that along the way to (consciously) realizing her dream, she's starting to settle for something less; which in a way is more fulfilling than simply playing with aliens, espers and time travellers.

At no point during the series did I feel that Haruhi was a static queen bitch that a few have labelled her. Sure it is justified because of her treatment of Mikuru, but this is anime; animators tend to stray from unlikable main characters for fear of fanbase backlash. Beyond that, back when the calls for Haruhi beheadings began, it was really too early to judge any of the characters. Similar to real life, it's completely pointless to judge a person's character based on first impressions. If all you do is put people (and subsequently characters) into stereotypes, you'll never see the good in them (ok enough out-of-show references from me for this thread )

So definately show the dere side of Haruhi, it really makes for interesting character growth. But the fact is, even though it's not apparent sometimes, it's her Tsun- side that showcases her character and develops the show's themes.

Personally I hope they never make Haruhi 50/50 Tsundere, she'd be so generic at that point
Old 2006-06-19, 09:17   Link #89
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

What I love about Haruhi is that even though she has several desires, she set her sights on just one dream. And she's willing to sacrifice everything and put all her heart and effort into it, its absolutely something I can never do. I'd love to spend all my life on Haruhiism lol, though I have no idea how am I suppose to do it.

Anyway next episode will tell us why Haruhi has such dreams and why she's like what she is now.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-19, 10:01   Link #90
shadowWizz

Send a message via MSN to shadowWizz
OMG!!!

I was actually touched watching Haruhi singing seriously. She's so much cooler than her usual self...

The insert song was GREAT so far i think that this would be the best one aired...

I think i'm in love with her all over again...

~ I’m always ready to learn, but I do not always like to be taught.~
Old 2006-06-19, 11:16   Link #91
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
Oh my somebody voted 1!?

Guys guys, lets take it easy on the next episode hints, okay? It's not good for the Haruhist.
Old 2006-06-19, 11:26   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth-kun
Oh my somebody voted 1!?

Guys guys, lets take it easy on the next episode hints, okay? It's not good for the Haruhist.
The "1" g0jira has never posted in the Haruhi forum. I doubt he has ever even seen the episode. But hey, it's a free forum, and he is a new member...
Old 2006-06-19, 11:30   Link #93
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
Hahaha. I was just surprised thats all. Well I did come across some of Haruhi haters in this forum, so I guess he's one of them.
Old 2006-06-19, 11:56   Link #94
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I just cant see this episode getting a 1. The lowest I could see in this episode is like a 6 . =/
Old 2006-06-19, 12:00   Link #95
M.D. Geist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare
I just cant see this episode getting a 1. The lowest I could see in this episode is like a 6 . =/
7+10 have 1 ratings, too ...

nothing serious though
Old 2006-06-19, 12:20   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've come to the conclusion some people misunderstand the ratings system and think "1" is tops --- otherwise I'd have to conclude they're trolls or incapable of analysis. Even if you hated this series - the production quality rates 5 points all by itself.
Old 2006-06-19, 12:25   Link #97
Lost

Ah, no point getting all flustered over a "1" Its as arias said: "that is their full right to determine what they want to see in a show." Or not want to see.
Old 2006-06-19, 12:39   Link #98
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I spend time in forums where some people really don't like this show, just watched a couple of episodes and went away. Some people are just so turned off by Haruhi's tsun side that they can't watch. Some don't see a story. Many don't get the depth of the characterization, or don't get the humor. Some think the only thing going for the show is the animation. Some are understandably turned off by the extreme praise, or think the show is exclusively for otaku.

I feel sorry for them. I think they "just don't get it." And I feel defensive of the show. But it's their right to miss out, if they want to. And I can understand the thrill of giving a "1" just to thumb your nose at the crowd. I mean, a show can't be as good as all these effing fanboys think, can it? Well, actually, yes, it can be.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-06-19, 12:57   Link #99
Moogster

Quote:
I spend time in forums where some people really don't like this show, just watched a couple of episodes and went away. Some people are just so turned off by Haruhi's tsun side that they can't watch. Some don't see a story. Many don't get the depth of the characterization, or don't get the humor. Some think the only thing going for the show is the animation. Some are understandably turned off by the extreme praise, or think the show is exclusively for otaku.

I feel sorry for them. I think they "just don't get it." And I feel defensive of the show. But it's their right to miss out, if they want to. And I can understand the thrill of giving a "1" just to thumb your nose at the crowd. I mean, a show can't be as good as all these effing fanboys think, can it? Well, actually, yes, it can be.
People who don't want to understand, won't understand.

Also, misinterpretation, since from the start most people who watched it would say its comedy, they think that the story can't get much deeper.
Old 2006-06-19, 12:59   Link #100
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Phew, I was getting afraid that it was only my Haruhi propaganda that was failing pretty badly. The French forum I'm praising the series on has mostly people who find Kyon's sarcasm truly annoying (he's even been called pathetic by one person). Most also can't stand Haruhi's tsun side... I wonder what reaction they'd have to the massive dere we've just been shown.
Closed Thread