AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-09-01, 02:57   Link #81
Inferied

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Anime isn't just for kids. Take Pokémon. I'm not sure who here battles competitively, but the average 8 years old isn't going to understand the mechanics and strategies involved. Most anime has two different levels of understanding. Cardcaptor Sakura is an excellent example of this. From just watching casually, you explore the life of a 10 year old magical girl who tries to captures all the cards to fulfill her contract. From another view...well you'll have to watch it yourself to see if you can see it in another way. I certainly did, and that's why it's on my top 10.
That's true. Take Naruto, for example, it's not the most adult show ever, you can show it to your little cousin without being embarrased, right? There's a little boy and message "protect your loved ones", so they fight and protect, it's simple.
But then, I can look at it another way and find some of the most sick and twisted relationships in anime world:
Spoiler for manga pic:

I have also heard that many Ghibli movies are like this... Meant for all audiences, but still mature.
Inferied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 03:08   Link #82
anselfir
Style Über Alles

meh, naruto is the definition of for kids shows. kids are not alien to 'mature' themes, 'save the world' 'pime taradox' etc are commonly found in shows targeted for kids.

Basically, for kids animu can be distinguished by it not having moments of reflection and doubt, there is one idea that runs through the show and you are expected to follow it. be it rawww courage, rawwww protect teh world, etc, it is a simplistic formulation designed to make the audience follow the show and buy into its story.
Old 2007-09-01, 07:28   Link #83
PigChan
Yoroshiku Onegai Shimas!

usually.. i bash those ppl tt ask me those question. nahs, juz jk

i will juz ignore them as those ppl are too retarded to talk to..
PigChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 07:49   Link #84
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigChan View Post
usually.. i bash those ppl tt ask me those question. nahs, juz jk

i will juz ignore them as those ppl are too retarded to talk to..
They really aren't.

I assume you only talk to people who like anime then?
Old 2007-09-19, 05:22   Link #85
RagDollx

Ive been asked why I watch anime quite a few times and I must say it is annoying and my usual reply is ¨why do you watch soaps?¨ or ¨why do you watch horrors?¨ and if their is cause they find them entertaining or such i just reply ¨well theres your answer dont ask again.¨
In the end we're all going to watch what appeals to what we like for example; theres no point in me watch The O.C if I dont like that kind of thing is there?
But it is a pain in Britain because the only anime we actually get on tv(believe it or not) is children stuff for example; Naruto and Pokemon. We only get these on Cable channels aswell. So where Im from it is classafied as children shows because thats all we actually get.
Dont get me wrong we have an anime section in our media stores like Virgin and HMV but most of the animes there are the overly popular ones. (well from the part of Scotland Im from anyway)
RagDollx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 07:44   Link #86
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagDollx View Post
Dont get me wrong we have an anime section in our media stores like Virgin and HMV but most of the animes there are the overly popular ones. (well from the part of Scotland Im from anyway)
Haha I would've said you were wrong a few weeks ago.... but then in a DVD shop I saw a whole section for anime DVDs including Elfen Lied and Grave of Fireflies. O_o With my anime-hating friend. It seemed very surreal.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 17:44   Link #87
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Isnt Anime for kids? How do you respond?
I don't know if anime is for kids but if it is I don't care and I'd watch it anyway and hope I could remain a kid forever.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 22:15   Link #88
Tsuna
Giga Slave

I've been watching anime since i was very young and just like many things as you get older your taste changes to more adult themed shows. So while i agree that there are anime series geared towards kids there are also more adult themed shows.
Tsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 08:43   Link #89
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Agreed. Excactly the same with English cartoons I think.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 09:00   Link #90
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Agreed. Exactly the same with English cartoons I think.
The only three examples I can think of are The Simpsons, South Park, and Family Guy, and all of these are situation comedies. I can't recall seeing any cartoons, in the US at least, with the level of sophistication and drama that you find in the best anime shows. Even the big-budget theatrical cartoons are all targeted at children, and few of these have much in the way of drama. Among animated movies released in the past decade or so, the only one I'd classify as having any drama that might appeal to adults is The Lion King. That's not to say I didn't enjoy shows like Toy Story or Aladdin, but they pale in comparison to Mononoke Hime or Millennium Actress from an adult's perspective.

Despite the growing popularity of anime in the US, I don't see any evidence that the "cartoons are for kids" attitude has changed much in Hollywood.

Some Canadian and European animators do produce cartoons for adults. The one that comes to mind immediately for me is Allegro non Troppo, a sophisticated parody of Disney's Fantasia. The sequence that depicts evolution drew applause from the audience when I saw it in a theater.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-09-20 at 11:28. Reason: typo
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 11:08   Link #91
Kyomi
What do I know?

Quote:
Isnt Anime for kids? How do you respond?
Bible Black

*nuf said*
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 11:32   Link #92
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyomi View Post
Bible Black

*nuf said*
lol, Well, I guess that would be enough to tell someone it's not just for kids Never seen Bible Black, but I know what it's about, I've done my research XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The only three examples I can think of are The Simpsons, South Park, and Family Guy, and all of these are situation comedies. I can't recall seeing any cartoons, in the US at least, with the level of sophistication and drama that you find in the best anime shows. Even the big-budget theatrical cartoons are all targeted at children, and few of these have much in the way of drama. Among animated movies released in the past decade or so, the only one I'd classify as having any drama that might appeal to adults is The Lion King. That's not to say I didn't enjoy shows like Toy Story or Aladdin, but they pale in comparison to Mononoke Hime or Millennium Actress from an adult's perspective.

Despite the growing popularity of anime in the US, I don't see any evidence that the "cartoons are for kids" attitude has changed much in Hollywood.

Some Canadian and European animators do produce cartoons for adults. The one that comes to mind immediately for me is Allegro non Troppo, a sophisticated parody of Disney's Fantasia. The sequence that depicts evolution drew applause from the audience when I saw it in a theater.
And you are correct...Alot of Cartoons in America arn't for kids...so usualy...when someone brings something up saying they are...I ask them if they like South Park or somthing, and if they say Yes...well they normaly realize why I asked and walk away XD Really, Anime teaches us good things, And normally you learn about Japanese culture or something..I know I have learned alot..and not Just about Japan, from Watching Anime....Most American cartoons, are retarded, Ones meant for adults are just completly stupid and retarded, and usualy racis....Then the one's for kids teach you nothing except how to fail in life and be an idiot...Like, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy...WTF?? Or Blues Clues...I was babbysitting my neice one day and she wouldn't shut up (and me being in an instance on WoW XD) I turned on the TV...Granted, it kept her shut up for like 5 hours till my dad got home...but the things on there are like WTF???...This is what the dude said on there...."What....A foo...A doo...OO..Clue!...*Turns around* Look...we found a clue!...There is a ball and a box...Ok...I need your help...If the box is directly in front of me...and I have to bounce this ball into the box...which way do I need to bounce it to make it go into the box?"...That's not a joke either...That's exactly what it said...SO I feel if we are going to let are kids (I'm only 15 and have no kids, but I'm definatly going to do this) watch cartoons, Don't let them watch the crap on Cartoonnet work...and Nickalodiean and stuffs...make them watch anime...Pokemone, DBZ..Sailor Moon...all them

Last edited by siya; 2007-09-20 at 11:43.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 17:35   Link #93
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Why should I care what people think of what I watch? I'm not that insecure with myself that I feel a need to validate it to them. If they come to enjoy it with me that's fine. If not because they think it's for kids, Oh well.

Though to be honest my usual response is, "Depends on the show." If they ask further I reply "There's a fair share of deep and sophisticated stuff, though there's also plenty of childish crap. Just like everything else in entertainment." I leave it at that and get on with my life unless they ask for examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
Don't let them watch the crap on Cartoonnet work...and Nickalodiean and stuffs...make them watch anime...Pokemone, DBZ..Sailor Moon...all them
What useful stuff are they going to learn from those shows? Yelling like your constipated makes things go boom and fighting solves everything? Making animals fight each other is fun? ... I honestly can't think of anything Sailormoon taught except from those "Sailormoon Says" things at the end and those are things your average preschool show like Sesame Street and Blues Clues (at least the old one) will teach them anyway.

And Avatar's way better than those three you listed.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 19:36   Link #94
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
I don't really have a grudge against people who call anime "for kids," because I understand why the majority of Americans (adults and teenagers) centralize their opinions regarding anime around what has been aired on television. Their opinions are reflected off of shows such as Pokemon, Digimon, and Naruto. How anyone would think that these shows aren't geared towards kids is beyond me. It still is their fault for being biased around their opinion of anime, but you can't expect everyone to know everything about every hobby, and that's when they take their opinion and burn it into their head as fact.

But then there are people like you and me, who have watched these shows as kids and became more interested as we aged, and decided to see what else is out there. And of course, after researching, we come to the conclusion that there's a vast majority of different genres available, suited for both kids and adults.

About a year and a half ago, I bought the movie Grave of the Fireflies. Anyone who hasn't seen the movie, read the synopsis in ANN's review. Anyhow, as someone who collects and watches anime as a hobby, I really wanted this in my collection. My Mother, who had only seen a couple episodes of Pokemon and Digimon, had always had an opinion of anime being "childish, and a waste of time." One day, while I was at work, she decided to figure out why I liked anime so much, and decided to blindly pull it off the shelf, and watch it. When I got home, and told me she watched it, and she said it was one of the most depressing movies she's ever seen. I could tell she was in a down mood, as the film probably did that to her (it did that to me too, I was kind of 'down' after I watched it the first time). She hasn't really questioned any other anime I've bought, and even watched Now and Then, Here and There with me. That was a cryfest for her, too.

If you can get someone to sit down and show them series/movies as mentioned above, usually their opinion will change. I know my Mother's did. But it won't change the fact that many are hard-headed about anime, and won't see what the hobby has to offer.
Good for you, able to influence another person in changing their opinion about anime (even if its just your mom). My friends are too mainstream and "kool" to watch anime or play JRPGs, i dont blame them, i immigrated to Canada more than 10 years ago, and i've watched anime (chinese dubbed) ever since i was a kid, my uncle was a huge Otaku and he really got me sucked into it lol. Even after immigrating here i still watch plenty of anime and its been part of my life for as long as i remember.
However, i lived in a very, excuse my language, "white" neighborhood and all my friends are either white or very much assimilated. I grew up with these peeps, and i understand their point of view, and to be honest, they r are too mainstream to be able to accept anime as another mean to good storytelling, i've given up all hope in convincing anyone to watch anime, and my friends have accepted the fact that i watch anime and there is no way they can change me and my ways. This is the kind of mutual understanding that u can get from mainstream folks, but u'll never get to sucker them into watching anime....i pity them
Old 2007-09-20, 23:25   Link #95
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Why pity them?

If they accept that you watch and enjoy anime, and you accept that they don't, all is well and good - mutual acceptance
Old 2007-09-20, 23:25   Link #96
CloroAsakura
I fear the JAM

Send a message via MSN to CloroAsakura
in my country exist a problem there are people who likes anime but they just watch the pseudo popular animes like like DBZ, naruto, and bleach (they are not bad shows but well overrating is bad) there a few like me who search and watch anime of any kind mainly i get comedies or harems because they helps me to relax. in vacation i search for more action its a cycle.

isnt anime for kids?, is like ask someone why they watch the Simpson's hehe.

but for those who says what anime IS for kids we need to show them, tenjou tenge, love hina, sola, shuffle! and many other series like those or well death note.

trying to introduce ppl to the anime world is annoying very annoying.
CloroAsakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 13:06   Link #97
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Is this suppose to be a trick question?

I don't bother to defend my hobbies and interests. When people ask, i just give a shrug and a smile. If they really insist on asking for a reason, i just show em some of the titles i watch.
Old 2007-09-21, 18:03   Link #98
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

I explain the gist of Monster or show some claymore/black lagoon.

DazarGaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 18:57   Link #99
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
What useful stuff are they going to learn from those shows? Yelling like your constipated makes things go boom and fighting solves everything? Making animals fight each other is fun? ... I honestly can't think of anything Sailormoon taught except from those "Sailormoon Says" things at the end and those are things your average preschool show like Sesame Street and Blues Clues (at least the old one) will teach them anyway.

And Avatar's way better than those three you listed.
lol, Well, Anime teaches you stuffs like Determination, and stuffs like that (some anyways XD) or it did for me...and I agree, Avatar is btter then the ones I listed
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 19:49   Link #100
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
lol, Well, Anime teaches you stuffs like Determination, and stuffs like that (some anyways XD) or it did for me...and I agree, Avatar is btter then the ones I listed
There's plenty of American kids show that tells kids to believe in themselves and work hard no matter what. You're point?

What makes Avatar so special that you don't label it "retarded" like all the other ones.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote