Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-27, 22:49   Link #81
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
They probably wait till the last minute to seek medical attentation.
They likely had no idea what swine flu was about either. Personally, I never had heard the term "Swine Flu" before this whole thing started, and it was likely the case for them as well.

You start with a bit of a fever and feel a bit of a headache, why should you suddenly feel that your life is at risk?
Old 2009-04-27, 22:51   Link #82
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I actually had a flu a few day/a week before this, but that fade away . Probably a common flu, and luckily hadn't spread to here. We don't really run a farm(or handle pigs) so joy to us, I am a vegetarian but it is not like you could get it from pigs in your diet. Anyways it won't be that serious if people keep proper hygiene and eat healthily.
Old 2009-04-27, 22:53   Link #83
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Forgive me if stuff in my post has been stated prior to this...

The only problem, as of now that I can recall, is that there is not vaccine for the flu. Based on what I remember watching on the news an hour or so ago, the vaccine should be finished in a few months.
The States, and probably the world, are trying to prevent a pandemic by discouraging flights to Mexico and are relatively confident in their ability in distributing medications against the symptoms of the flu or something like that. The news person said it wasn't a full out cure.

Personally, it is something to be "attentive with, not alarmed," quoth Obama. Even if it isn't the quote, the meaning is in there.

On a slightly odd note, a different news person was describing the incident in Mexico saying 150ish dead, if memory serves me right. However, that which was shown on the screen was a newspaper that had "108 Muertos" for a headline. Muertos is deaths in Spanish... meh. I just found it interesting and a flaw in breaking news stories.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 23:00   Link #84
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

... Hmm I should've asked my lab partner today if he recently went back to Mexico... he was rather coughing quite a bit ^^;

Anyhow, I hope the flue doesl not cause further deaths, especially outside of its outbreak origin.
Old 2009-04-27, 23:18   Link #85
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Might be time i stock up on some guns and survival gear
Guess I overreacted a little after seeing there's already case in South Korea since I live in Asia. On my further reading of the facts, the virus is indeed dangerous but not unstoppable since drugs can cure it. Body bags are not getting piled up like in the Ebola virus movie I've seen.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-04-27 at 23:27. Reason: removed the part which might be offensive to Mexicans
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 23:30   Link #86
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

What do you mean by drugs can cure it? Viruses can't be killed by drugs. Or do you simply mean toning down the symptoms of the virus, like coughing and fever, or stalling virus's development? Usually, its the body's immune system that cures ourselves against viruses. Drugs have no immediate effect in curing from the virus.
Old 2009-04-27, 23:33   Link #87
Liddo-kun
is this so?

What I mean is there's things that can help stop the disease, wasn't able to go into specifics since I was editing out the part of my post which Mexican AS members might consider offensive.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-04-28 at 00:02.
Old 2009-04-27, 23:34   Link #88
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Guess I overreacted a little after seeing there's already case in South Korea since I live in Asia. On my further reading of the facts, the virus is indeed dangerous but not unstoppable since drugs can cure it. Body bags are not getting piled up like in the Ebola virus movie I've seen.
The virus is new, no vaccine or especific cure has been found yet, so far, it is being repeled with strong dosis of vitamins and antibacterials, from where did you get that drugs could stop it?
Old 2009-04-27, 23:44   Link #89
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I've read this article that Tamiflu and Relenza seem to have a good effect.

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...ALTH/904250311

Quote:
Both drug makers confirmed that the swine flu strain is sensitive to their drugs.

Both Relenza and Tamiflu have to be taken early, within a few days of the onset of symptoms, to be most effective.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-04-29 at 07:16.
Old 2009-04-27, 23:45   Link #90
Zippicus

Yeah if you get the flu you're stuck with it until your immune system deals with it. Technically drugs help since they help you to get rest, which is what your body needs while fighting it off, but they don't "cure" it. There are some anti-viral drugs but all they do is slow the virus down rather than kill it, and they're mainly aimed at other illnesses (although they do have some for influenza).
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 23:52   Link #91
Liddo-kun
is this so?

My mistake then, guess I shouldn't have used the word "cure".
Old 2009-04-28, 00:46   Link #92
Shadow Kira01

Update: I have noticed that there are many people who don't know how to wear a surgical mask properly..

People are supposed to put the surgical mask over their nose, not their mouth only..

No wonder why the death toll is on the rise in Mexico, their government don't even teach its citizens proper usage of their surgical masks. Improper use of the surgical masks will deem it as useless.

From the looks of things..

WHO will most likely raise the alert level to a "5" in the next 2-3 weeks. However, a cure shall be obtained by autumn, if not before the end of 2009. It will probably spread to most nations around the world. Nations with huge populations will most likely be in deep trouble, especially if the people are too poor to purchase the cure when it is made.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-04-28 at 02:12. Reason: added surgical mask instructions..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 02:51   Link #93
Jill Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Assuming that the map is near accurate, looks like it's far more serious than previously thought.
Now I know why some mexicans were angered when their health officials tried to downplay the incident.
Yes it is, they are trying to hide some stuff from the world.

Terrestrial Dream I hope it doesen't go there, i've got friends from asia but it's a matter of time until it reaches by tourists and others who are coming from the danger zone.

Daniel E. Because there's no such thing as a coincidense in times like this, and people don't want to take any chances of losing there life just because they are denial sometimes
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 03:41   Link #94
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
People are supposed to put the surgical mask over their nose, not their mouth only..

No wonder why the death toll is on the rise in Mexico, their government don't even teach its citizens proper usage of their surgical masks. Improper use of the surgical masks will deem it as useless.
I find it a bit hard to believe, that not wearing the masks properly is the main reason for the resent happenings in Mexico.

You need to remember that the Swine Flu arrived without notice, and by the time people started to wear the masks, the flu had already spread out among possibly hundreds.

Not wearing the masks properly could be a factor now, but it would be just one among many.

EDIT:2 Ok, I seriously need to stop making so many damn edits. >_<!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake
Daniel E. Because there's no such thing as a coincidense in times like this, and people don't want to take any chances of losing there life just because they are denial sometimes
But a time like this wasn't a time like this at first. A headache is just a headache and people don't normally rush to the nearest hospital because of one. They had no real reason to worry at first, wich is probably why they didn't seek out medical attention quickly.

At a time like this, people will rush to the clinic at the first sign of a cough, but again, that was not the case in the beginning.

I mean heck, I just read about one of the first victims that died, and he and his family went through the whole ordeal never knowing the true cause of the problem. (the family only learned about it much later through the media)

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-04-28 at 04:34.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 03:51   Link #95
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I'm not all that worried even though everyone is screaming quarantine on the other side of the world. Mexico is a lot different from other countries, compared to mine we live with less people in a tight spot and hygiene is better than there

Also if I am correct no deaths have been made in the US so far, though some sites say Mexico has around 60 deaths others claim there are over 100, in other words the media is hyping it up so much that there isn't even a clear view on how many actually died from it or how many even have it.

I'm pretty sure we'll be infected as well, why? Cause when it was on the news there were still dozens of tourists going to Mexico without even caring about the precautions or warnings "Swine flu? Ha I'm going over there and enjoy my stay thank you!" was basically what one of them said.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 04:50   Link #96
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Last report i have seen today from BBC says there's been 150 fatality in mexico. WHO also had raise the alert level from 3 to 4 which is only 2 level below global pandemic. Other countries have started screening visitors from US, Canada, UK, Mexico, Spain and France.

This is getting more serious by the day.
As for Tamiflu, it's not a widely available drug. Different countries have different level of stockpile of this medicine with USA covering 15% of total pop and UK at 50% of total pop.
Old 2009-04-28, 04:56   Link #97
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

OMG 60 people died and... how many? 5 countries found infected?

Of course Swine Flu is a pandemic problem, not aids, not hepatitis and not other deadly illnes...

How is it possible just a few years ago from the las "flu pandemic" and people still believe in this? -.-
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 05:00   Link #98
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

We really can't expect a vaccine anytime soon either. It'll probably take up to 6 months to find one.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 05:15   Link #99
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
OMG 60 people died and... how many? 5 countries found infected?

Of course Swine Flu is a pandemic problem, not aids, not hepatitis and not other deadly illnes...

How is it possible just a few years ago from the las "flu pandemic" and people still believe in this? -.-
Somehow, peoples ''believe in it''. The lasts ''flu pandemic'' area was more restrain. This one is spreads to others country by tourists.
But the key is than peoples much more ''fear'' than ''believe'' in it.
Old 2009-04-28, 05:24   Link #100
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well I went over to the clinic today (had a terrible foot rot) and people are queuing up for the flu vaccine. When it was my turn to see the doctor, he mistook me for having come for the vaccine and told me that regular flu vaccines are unlikely to work.

This pretty much shows how misinformed people are. It has really created a despondency amongst the less intelligent masses despite having a 96% literacy rate over here.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote