AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-10, 07:05   Link #981
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I think it's more because there are other selling points other than this.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 07:09   Link #982
Tenzen12

Well there are only two selling point Magic and Incest (maybe politics in future) and magic didn't get enough exposition yet. So I don't see how it justify hypocrisy.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-10 at 18:05. Reason: removed spoiler about other show
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 07:29   Link #983
kenshinstyle

I can already see why miyuki is so attached to her brother. Its probably something along the lines of tatsuya sacrificing his lifeforce or spiritual energy or something to save miyuki in the past and thus tatsuya is kind of nerfed now. Basically the same as tsukihime.
kenshinstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 08:17   Link #984
Taiku

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well there are only two selling point Magic and Incest (maybe politics in future) and magic didn't get enough exposition yet. So I don't see how it justify hypocrisy
If you really want to know the reason behind Mahouka's popularity, go read its novels.
Something like 'incest' is hardly its major selling point.

About selling points for anime-only viewers (other than the so-called 'incest' and magic):
From what I've seen after visiting various forums, some got hooked by the uniform and others are interested in the mystery and secret that has been hinted in the first episode. Then there are people who have high expectations of Tatsuya, and many people really liked the fighting scene and animation.
There are also some viewers who liked the combination of 'magic + science'.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-10 at 18:05. Reason: removed spoiler from quote
Taiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 08:42   Link #985
Tenzen12

Well if you tell me that manga is screwed adaptation that doesn't have a even fragment of merit that novel has I can think about that and I promise I will, otherwise I don't see anythyng but SAO-esque fanboying.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-04-10 at 08:58.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 08:56   Link #986
Kakurin
大佐

After a single episode I don't think Mahouka warrants an "incest" tag. First of all, semantically "incest" is not fitting, as that word specifically refers to sexual activitiy and not sole feelings of love between siblings. But semantics aside, from what I can see in the first episode what Miyuki has isn't really love, even for a middle school / high school anime character. It rather looks like the feelings a young girl has, when she goes "I want to marry daddy!". Admiration and childish infatuation, not really romantic love. Well, let's see how this'll continue.
Old 2014-04-10, 09:12   Link #987
zztop

What does everyone here think of the Rising Hope OP? Love it or hate it?

Personally I like the guitar riff very much, and I'd put it as my favourite together with Wounded Innocence from Akuma no Riddle(Devil's Riddle).
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 09:18   Link #988
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well there are only two selling point Magic and Incest (maybe politics in future) and magic didn't get enough exposition yet. So I don't see how it justify hypocrisy (not mentioned show in question is Koiuta which also had other selling points, or to be exact where whole that ship was actualy out of focus.)
Well, let me explain how I see it: otaku/fujo-wank bro/siscon relationships of recent times (and their fandom equivalents a la wincest and most slash-y tumblr style material) do not interest me. Neither do idealised girls in general, wish fulfilment characters and all that goodness. So naturally, when that shows up, I would complain about it.
Although, ofc, if you happen to be into that, more power to you!

But if it's a well- written, well fleshed out pair of characters with good reason to feel that kind of affection or have that kind of relationship, then I'm fine with it- in fact, I am interested. I'm talking the likes of Angel Sanctuary, possibly Utena/ Penguindrum or rather serious portrayals of the topic in general here.
In other words, as long as it's compellingly written and not played for fanservice, it is fine with me.

This may or may not be a reason why other people also seem more ok with it here, but in either case, that is my reasoning for why I don't mind it (so far).
Old 2014-04-10, 10:20   Link #989
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It's impressive how much conversation a single episode has generated. That's hype for you eh?
I was thinking just the same.

I re-watched the episode and apart having finally caught the name of that final girl the episode ended with, Mari (looking forward to her, or is she some minor character? the episode ended with her facing Tatsuya, hiding completely the council president), definitely the council president has to know something about Tatsuya. I mean, she approached him even if he was a weed, did she pretend to not know who he was? And she is apparently the only one bloom student that has not embraced this discrimination system/feeling. She approached him first and later said out laud she wanted to have a long talk with him. This or it's just MC male inner power

Anyways, definitely the episode had a slightly harem-ish presentation. I mean, Imouto, megane, tomboy, council president and probably the tsundere (Mari?). Oh, and the loli teacher. I'm not saying that it is, just that we started with the full set.

Spoiler for Comparison to Koiuta:

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-10 at 18:08. Reason: added spoiler tag for comparison
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 10:30   Link #990
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Anyways, definitely the episode had a slightly harem-ish presentation. I mean, Imouto, megane, tomboy, council president and probably the tsundere (Mari?). Oh, and the loli teacher. I'm not saying that it is, just that we started with the full set.
On the other hand, how many harem shows have the full set of members appearing right away in episode one?

But damn, the second episode hasn't aired yet and we are already on page 50?
Old 2014-04-10, 10:40   Link #991
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
On the other hand, how many harem shows have the full set of members appearing right away in episode one?

But damn, the second episode hasn't aired yet and we are already on page 50?
Too much for me, I don't know if I'll be able to keep track of it. By the way, my Jedi senses are telling me that probably a sub-forum is coming.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 11:11   Link #992
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Too much for me, I don't know if I'll be able to keep track of it. By the way, my Jedi senses are telling me that probably a sub-forum is coming.
These 50 pages go months back though, since around the time it was announced. They are not from the first episode alone.

Edit. @Ultragunner: I think people are a bit more cautious these days because they were burned or bored out of their minds by hyped shows, strung along by promises or hopes of "it gets better later, it just takes a while to get there"
Old 2014-04-10, 11:16   Link #993
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
Yes, I vote for a sub-forum. A 50 page thread is a good indicator that this show needs one... :P

I have cameras in your head!
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 12:21   Link #994
solhaz

I'm actually interested in this series after reading the manga and then I proceed to read LN. I think the story really start to get interesting and deeper from around vol 3-4 ^-^ I like the world setting and the mystery in it.

Maybe it's because I read and watch Game of Thrones (which got real Incest there), to say Tatsuya n Miyuki relationship as incest is such a joke.
solhaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 13:59   Link #995
Quol
That Guy

I wonder if even reading will do anything, if you go into something thinking "Im going to hate this" then there is a really good chance you will hate it, even if under different situations you would have loved it.

Also i'm pretty sure having a Kirito and Tatsuya discussion here is an obvious break in the rules, in addition to being inaccurate, since there is no mention to Tatsuya being a "wish fulfillment character" in any way (closest is the 5 min martial arts scene which in my opinion isnt enough to make that connection)
Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:51   Link #996
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Not sure what type of wish fulfilment Tatsuya really is. But for now he is the badass underdog.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:21   Link #997
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Not sure what type of wish fulfilment Tatsuya really is. But for now he is the badass underdog.
No he isn't. Right now he's just a guy who is taller than his sister.
That's all we know about episode 1.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:29   Link #998
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
No he isn't. Right now he's just a guy who is taller than his sister.
That's all we know about episode 1.
And that he's good at reading activation sequences, has topped the theoretical score in the entrance exam and is good at martial arts.
Old 2014-04-10, 15:35   Link #999
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
And that he's good at reading activation sequences, has topped the theoretical score in the entrance exam and is good at martial arts.
He is also better at reading situations than anyone we have been shown so far.
Old 2014-04-10, 15:46   Link #1000
rladls716

Yes, the situation in the first episode, Bloom vs Weed Miyuki could not foresee what is going to happen, Tatsuya already realizes that Mari and Mayumi would show up.
Not even Miyuki reading situations is better than Tatsuya does.
These kinds of feat are rare and ideal for some people.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural