Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-08, 22:33   Link #10481
flying ^

this is so going to die in the senate
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...dream-act.html
Old 2010-12-09, 01:01   Link #10482
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Would Italy be willing to elect Puglia governor Nichi Vendola, a gay, catholic and ex-communist as Prime Minister?
Old 2010-12-09, 01:03   Link #10483
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
this is so going to die in the senate
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...dream-act.html
As it should.
Old 2010-12-09, 02:06   Link #10484
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
As it should.
Why?

Quote:
The legislation would give hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants a chance at becoming legal. The requirements state that, to be eligible, a person must have been brought to the United States before he or she was 16, been in the United States for five years, earned a high-school degree and be attending college or be in the military.
So they had to be brought in the U.S before 16, been there at least 5 years, and either went through high-school and earned a degree or joined the military.

That's a very narrow definition. Are you of the opinion then that those people that serve in the military, live and die for your country shouldn't be able to at least be a legal immigrant?
Old 2010-12-09, 02:11   Link #10485
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Are you of the opinion then that those people that serve in the military, live and die for your country shouldn't be able to at least be a legal immigrant?

some interesting info i gathered...

An Executive Order signed by President Bush on July 3, 2002, provided for the “expedited naturalization for aliens and noncitizen nationals serving in an active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States during the period of the war against terrorists of global reach.”
Under this order, any noncitizen in the military can apply for expedited citizenship on his first day of active duty. Not only is this order still in effect, but it has been codified in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2006, that authorizes the enlistment of (1) nationals of the United States; (2) aliens who have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (green card); (3) residents of several former U.S. territories; and (4) any other person “if the Secretary of Defense determines that such enlistment is vital to the national interest.”
Old 2010-12-09, 02:15   Link #10486
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
You can't be naturalized if you're an illegal immigrant because you're not in any database. These are kids that were brought to the US before they were 16. Hence the 'very narrow' qualitative I employed. If your parents forced you across the border when you were a minor, shouldn't you have the opportunity to legalise your stay in the U.S. if you're already part of its national framework?
Old 2010-12-09, 03:19   Link #10487
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

World is getting more corrupt, says transparency poll

Well that's depressing.
Old 2010-12-09, 04:06   Link #10488
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.N. climate talks seek to avert damaging failure
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AR1OI20101209
Why not to try to succes insted ?
Old 2010-12-09, 05:12   Link #10489
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
U.N. climate talks seek to avert damaging failure
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AR1OI20101209
Why not to try to succes insted ?
thats why
Old 2010-12-09, 05:13   Link #10490
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Though I'd like an explanation for this :

BOTH by the government and Transparency International. Though it would be funny if it appeared on frontpage news tomorrow*.

* - @ TRL : Do you think you can make that happen?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-12-09, 05:24   Link #10491
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

BOTH by the government and Transparency International. Though it would be funny if it appeared on frontpage news tomorrow*.

* - @ TRL : Do you think you can make that happen?
Oh, tomorrow morning we'll have our Ministers quoted on the news making up all sort of BS to defend the media and/or discredit the findings. That, or we'll see them take out a slander charge on Transparency International.
Old 2010-12-09, 06:01   Link #10492
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Oh, tomorrow morning we'll have our Ministers quoted on the news making up all sort of BS to defend the media and/or discredit the findings. That, or we'll see them take out a slander charge on Transparency International.
It was done by CRC Research, a Canadian Research firm. It is an online survey, and a sample of 1000 respondents was taken.

Since it was an online survey, I bet that the government are going to criticise it as unfair because it wasn't done by :

1. A Singaporean company
2. Ground-based field recon-type of methodology
3. <insert whatever bullshit the PM can fabricate>

Rather they are going to brag about the 9%.....in a country of 4.1m people, 9% represents a more standardised proportion than those in populous countries.

Also, according to the article on page 35, "research has indicated" that more people are willing to take part in the fight against corruption. Seriously speaking, I don't think so - it is all talk and no action.

I am still hoping that TRL catches this and takes it to work.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-12-09, 06:04   Link #10493
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

As it is, I don't feel there is a need to respond to it, lest we do a China + US (Overreaction ending up doing more damage than the actual thing).
Old 2010-12-09, 08:15   Link #10494
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So it seems the TSA detained the Ambassador from India and forced her to submit to a patdown search.

Aside from the usual humiliation aspect of it, this does bring up a very major thing to consider about the importance of diplomatic immunity. How would the US respond if the US ambassador to China found himself detained the second he took a step outside of the embassy and found everything on his person frisked and confiscated? In terms of security threat, the Chinese would have a much better justification for violating diplomatic immunity because they thought the ambassador could be carrying intelligience on him. It's certainly more reasonable than suspecting him of being a security risk because of his clothing.
Old 2010-12-09, 08:55   Link #10495
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

BOTH by the government and Transparency International. Though it would be funny if it appeared on frontpage news tomorrow.
Where Singaporeans are concerned, it's not news unless it's reported by the Temasek Review. It's a bit slow on the uptake this time round, but I'm sure the good people there will get around to it soon.

The last time Transparency International talked about Singapore, the country was listed, together with Denmark and New Zealand, as being the least corrupt in the world (Oct 27).

Which earned this withering remark from a discerning reader of the Review:
"Why do people take Transparency International seriously?

It's a survey of 'experts' and business people, all of whom love the Singapore model of democracy. Why give this organisation any credit? If I were a rich businessman, I would love to give high marks to a country that suppresses wages, allows extreme laissez-faire capitalism to thrive and has a government that bends over backwards to please me.
"

Meanwhile, the Singapore Press Holdings in September fired a senior vice-president after he admitted to "receiving illegal payments and misappropriating shopping vouchers handled by his unit". His dismissal was prominently reported in The Straits Times, the company's flagship newspaper.

I guess the reality appears to match the perception, no? As the current brouhaha over faulty plumbing in the secretive States shows, mainstream media is already guilty until proven innocent. How much more so when you have, gasp, facts to support the verdict.

So... I'll take yezhanquan's advice and avoid adding too much to the froth. I'll leave that to the conscientious truthseekers of the InterWebs. After all, when it comes to dirt, you know can always trust someone you do not know to tell you everything you need to know.

Meanwhile, I'll be happily spending my ill-gotten gains at this weekend's Singapore Toys & Comic Convention. How much can I get with these, ahem, limited-edition shopping vouchers, I wonder?
Old 2010-12-09, 12:51   Link #10496
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Why?

So they had to be brought in the U.S before 16, been there at least 5 years, and either went through high-school and earned a degree or joined the military.

That's a very narrow definition. Are you of the opinion then that those people that serve in the military, live and die for your country shouldn't be able to at least be a legal immigrant?
There are already legal ways to become a citizen here. A friend's wife just went through the right way after coming here from the Philippines. I live next to the Mexican Border and have to deal with the illegal immigrant problem every single day. I see what it's doing to our schools, our hospitals, and everything else.

Get in line like everybody else who is trying to become a citizen here. And if you're not here legally, you should be sent back to your home country.
Old 2010-12-09, 13:01   Link #10497
Asuras
Dictadere~!

My Dad's been here more than he hasn't and only just became a legal US citizen. He speaks fluent English, works for IBM at a very high level, and is married to my citizen mother. One wold think that he was already a citizen without having to register.

That's just how the system works. And he was fine with it.
Old 2010-12-09, 15:21   Link #10498
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

African Union suspends Ivory Coast over election dispute
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1830866/
Another reason for a bloodbath in Ivory Coast...
Old 2010-12-09, 17:27   Link #10499
AnimeFan188

Iran Placing Medium-Range Missiles in Venezuela; Can Reach the U.S.

"Iran is planning to place medium-range missiles on Venezuelan soil, based on
western information sources[1], according to an article in the German daily, Die
Welt, of November 25, 2010. According to the article, an agreement between the
two countries was signed during the last visit o Venezuelan President Hugo
Chavez to Tehran on October19, 2010. The previously undisclosed contract
provides for the establishment of a jointly operated military base in Venezuela,
and the joint development of ground-to-ground missiles."

See:

http://www.hudson-ny.org/1714/iran-m...s-in-venezuela

If Chavez wants to be the new Castro, I guess it was only a matter of time before
we had another missile crisis.
Old 2010-12-09, 17:34   Link #10500
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I have a very strong feeling that large ground to ground missiles don't actually pose much of a threat anymore. I have no doubt that we have anti-missile technology in our arsenal at the ready.

I already know we have kinetic missiles, meant to disable the missile in midair without detonating it; and they work.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international