Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for Ending spoilers:
Old 2020-04-29, 00:55   Link #1062
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think the reason them not knowing about it is concern about game size.
What if you wanted to make it trilogy but technology said "two more installment for Gold Saucer and Junon"; Midgar became a living city with some coordinated dance pleased me but TBH kinda make me worried if they intended to remake Gold Saucer the same way with every possible interactions there.

Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2020-04-29, 01:10   Link #1063
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Well if they will aim to make a set number like a trilogy then the next game will probably take another 4-5 years to come out. Nomura did say he wants the next game released ASAP

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-29, 09:00   Link #1064
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Well if they will aim to make a set number like a trilogy then the next game will probably take another 4-5 years to come out. Nomura did say he wants the next game released ASAP
I'd rather wait a few extra years and have just two more games that cover the rest of the story than having a game padded to hell and back every two years for who knows how long like this one. Now, I enjoyed the game a lot, but you could cut about half the content and lose nothing. There were quite a few moments I found super boring, like the beginning of chapter 9 (those shitty robot arms) and the entirety of chapter 11. Or the majority of the side-quests.

I think 3 is a good number. It's symbolic as well since it's the same number of disks as the original game. More than that, assuming they all last 40 hours like this one, would be overkill for me.

I've been meaning to ask, what did you think of Roche? To me, he's the single most pointless addition in the entire game. I don't even know why they advertised him in the trailers given how irrelevant and annoying he was. I'm sure they'll have him pop up in future games, but I have zero expectations for his storyline.
Old 2020-04-29, 09:22   Link #1065
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

I personally like that they fleshed out the characters more in this remake with the added content. And hey you get to spend more time with Aerith in that collapse expressway so I'm not complaining. I love that scene of Aerith trying to get Cloud to high five
Quote:
I've been meaning to ask, what did you think of Roche? To me, he's the single most pointless addition in the entire game. I don't even know why they advertised him in the trailers given how irrelevant and annoying he was. I'm sure they'll have him pop up in future games, but I have zero expectations for his storyline.
I thought it was interesting to see another SOLDIER other the well known ones, even if Roche is only a third class one. But I don't believe he'll play a huge part in the sequels.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2020-04-29 at 09:32.
Old 2020-04-29, 09:29   Link #1066
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Unless PS5 incredibly improves their options for the environments and world map, I still doubt they can deliver the rest of the remake series with just 2 games, considering how they barely scratched 20% of disc 1 with the first release. That would mean they have to go through Kalm village until the Temple of the Ancients, which would give barely any room for additional stuff (and you bet they will flesh out some lack luster parts of OG FF7 like Wutai).

Personally, the way how sidequests work are definitely on the meh side, since you don't exactly do much aside of fedex quests and mob extermination.
On the flip side, I find them interested regarding the world building and stuff (like the kids, Folia tied to Biggs and so forth).
Spoiler for More details up to chap 18:
Old 2020-04-29, 09:35   Link #1067
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Unless PS5 incredibly improves their options for the environments and world map, I still doubt they can deliver the rest of the remake series with just 2 games, considering how they barely scratched 20% of disc 1 with the first release. That would mean they have to go through Kalm village until the Temple of the Ancients, which would give barely any room for additional stuff (and you bet they will flesh out some lack luster parts of OG FF7 like Wutai).

Personally, the way how sidequests work are definitely on the meh side, since you don't exactly do much aside of fedex quests and mob extermination.
On the flip side, I find them interested regarding the world building and stuff (like the kids, Folia tied to Biggs).
Yeah, if they gonna aim for a trilogy then it's gonna be inevitable that they will cut a few events from the OG game and that would suck.

Old 2020-04-29, 18:52   Link #1068
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

On the flip side, I find them interested regarding the world building and stuff (like the kids, Folia tied to Biggs and so forth).
The amount of side-quests that helps build the world up are sadly very small. I liked the ones from chapter 8 the most because it felt we were diving into Aerith's daily life.

Spoiler for chapter 18:
Old 2020-04-29, 19:04   Link #1069
Wandering Soul

My take on Roche is the same as everyone' else's: it was nice to see another SOLIDER, but that's really it. I can see him as another minor antagonist down the line, but I'm not expecting much from him.
Old 2020-04-30, 02:36   Link #1070
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

As much I myself bored by the 'fed-ex' side-quest, its ironically Cloud job after defeating Sephiroth as you can see in AC; made me thought, is this the reason why he do delivery service after OG? Then again, maybe I'm overthinking it. At least looking around while doing side-quest is fun enough, people of the slums with each of their daily topics.

My impression about Roche is, unlike others; I felt that he's intended just so you can enjoy bike on new-gen console more.
I find it difficult to like him when I know on very same game there's Shin-Ra security guard recognize Cloud, with Kunsel name thrown, his senpai who also Zack best friend during his 3rd class days. Made me think, "Why it have to be Roche instead of Kunsel" after Leslie who is character from AC side-materials. I can imagine both Nomura and Kitase agree to made him for that single purpose so Midgar can keep one of it most appealing part within game size limitation instead of potentially derailing the game by having more CC characters details there.

As for dividing parts, Remake first part already simplified early part of 'Cloud inner problem' issue that I'm OK not going to Kalm.
That leaving Avalanche, Rocket, Wutai, Rufus, Gold Saucer, Nibelheim, Ancients, Weapons, Vincent tie-in and Omnislash, probably with Costa Del Sol too as everyone wanted their own villa also potential beach scenes.

We can make guess which part get cut or modified (digging Lunar Harp, desert prison, etc.) but fitting all of it into two installment with similar scale as Midgar is something else unless they goes full Eva Rebuild and make the order somewhat different. Zack timeline stuffs can go to DLC.
Old 2020-04-30, 16:13   Link #1071
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
My impression about Roche is, unlike others; I felt that he's intended just so you can enjoy bike on new-gen console more.
I find it difficult to like him when I know on very same game there's Shin-Ra security guard recognize Cloud, with Kunsel name thrown, his senpai who also Zack best friend during his 3rd class days. Made me think, "Why it have to be Roche instead of Kunsel" after Leslie who is character from AC side-materials. I can imagine both Nomura and Kitase agree to made him for that single purpose so Midgar can keep one of it most appealing part within game size limitation instead of potentially derailing the game by having more CC characters details there.
Had to google who Kunsel is since I didn't play Crisis Core. They couldn't include him at this point because he knows too much about Cloud.

Old 2020-04-30, 22:51   Link #1072
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
As much I myself bored by the 'fed-ex' side-quest, its ironically Cloud job after defeating Sephiroth as you can see in AC; made me thought, is this the reason why he do delivery service after OG? Then again, maybe I'm overthinking it. At least looking around while doing side-quest is fun enough, people of the slums with each of their daily topics.
Perhaps someone more familiar with the Japanese can correct me, but don't they use the word "nandemo" (which can mean freelancer) for Cloud's occupation instead of "youhei" which is the more typical word for mercenary?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-01, 06:00   Link #1073
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes, his occupation in JP is 何でも屋, which basically means jack of all trade, general store/merchant or handyman. I don't recall that term to be used for freelancer at all. Not sure why they used merc in the first place considering the side quests involving kids as clients and non fighting ones, moreso they are officially named "odd jobs".
Old 2020-05-01, 07:09   Link #1074
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Yes, his occupation in JP is 何でも屋, which basically means jack of all trade, general store/merchant or handyman. I don't recall that term to be used for freelancer at all. Not sure why they used merc in the first place considering the side quests involving kids as clients and non fighting ones, moreso they are officially named "odd jobs".
If you don't mind, do you know the name of the Whispers in Japanese? It sounds like "feelers" (which the French translation romanized as "fileurs") but I have no idea if it's supposed to be an actual word or just a made-up one.
Old 2020-05-01, 08:17   Link #1075
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The JP term used for them is フィーラー.
Spoiler for Chapter 18:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-05-01 at 08:37.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-01, 11:39   Link #1076
Shadow5YA

Quote:
The original FF7's translation called them mercenaries, so it stuck. I never questioned it since I've never seen or read the Japanese version, and because in Cloud's case back then, all he did was fight.

Now that I think back to the truck scene with Zack, it makes a lot more sense.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-01, 18:58   Link #1077
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
The JP term used for them is フィーラー.
Spoiler for Chapter 18:
Thanks! I knew it wasn't a Japanese word but didn't know if it was supposed to be a foreign one (Feeler feels right to me) or just a term they completely made up.
Old 2020-05-01, 19:17   Link #1078
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

For those who didn't fancy the idea of buying butterfinger candy bars (or asking someone to do that if you weren't a US resident) for Tifa's dynamic theme, it is available for free on JP/Asia PSN. No string attached to it, so pretty much available to anyone with a JP account linked to their PS4.
Old 2020-05-03, 10:42   Link #1079
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So, in the end, do you think this game ended up being friendly to newcomers?

Old 2020-05-03, 12:53   Link #1080
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

For me who hasn't played the OG game this remake actually made me want to play it now knowing that this new game is not a 1:1 remaster. I want to play the OG game so that I can compare on what the difference between the two game will be in the sequels. So I guess mission accomplished for them if that was what they set up to do.

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg