AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2020-05-03, 13:39   Link #1081
juanlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
It better have Japanese voices available. If it doesn't I won't buy it no matter what. Can't stand the English ones, although it was OK for the trailer at least.
agree with you
juanlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 13:53   Link #1082
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

The english voice acting in this game is superb imho. Most of voices are spot on for the characters.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 18:33   Link #1083
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So, in the end, do you think this game ended up being friendly to newcomers?

Spoiler for Ending spoilers:
To be fair, even those who played the original are lost on the ending

I don't think they expect us to fully make sense of the ending. It's a sequel hook.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 19:29   Link #1084
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I watched the final trailer today... Not sure I've seen a more spoilerific trailer ever. I mean, while I know this game isn't a 1:1 remaster, it's still based on a timeless classic... so a lot of plot points will be known anyway.

But it does seem like they gave away a lot.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 23:38   Link #1085
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
So, in the end, do you think this game ended up being friendly to newcomers?

Spoiler for Ending spoilers:
I'd say this game managed to do very well on telling people to play OG FF VII, which I believe to be Kitase and Nomura main goal considering development time until next installment and potential that next installment might derail even further following first installment outcome (LOL).

Since this game released I saw fair amount of comparison and potential Remake plot change or simply 'Should I play OG FF VII now?' discussions. I'd say that's a very positive outcome; then again, let's not forget how it became more challenging for both sides in future as next installment will have everyone learn OG FF VII, some might dig deep to Compilation games, hopefully Nojima, Kitase and Nomura ready for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
The english voice acting in this game is superb imho. Most of voices are spot on for the characters.
That reminds me, for dub, I missed previous Sephiroth VA (example: Dissidia); hopefully he became better for Sephiroth next appearance.
Old 2020-05-04, 17:08   Link #1086
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
That reminds me, for dub, I missed previous Sephiroth VA (example: Dissidia); hopefully he became better for Sephiroth next appearance.
He was the only English VA I really wish they had just kept him in the remake.
Old 2020-05-05, 02:59   Link #1087
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

What's wrong with the current Sephiroth ENG VA?
Old 2020-05-05, 04:10   Link #1088
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
What's wrong with the current Sephiroth ENG VA?
Hopefully he (and Zack dub VA for Remake) learn more about their characters by next installment of Remake.

Spoiler for Example of the old dub; may contain spoiler:
Old 2020-05-05, 17:10   Link #1089
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
To be fair, even those who played the original are lost on the ending

I don't think they expect us to fully make sense of the ending. It's a sequel hook.
I did say it was confusing for us too. But new players must be confused by a lot more than that. The game raises tons of questions for new players and answers very little, and I'm not sure people are willing to wait years to get the answers. Hence the interest in playing the original game, the Whispers being one more incentive.

I think they chose a good approach. Just not sure how many people are willing to play a game that's possibly older than they are.
Old 2020-05-06, 02:19   Link #1090
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll say the ending on this one kind of pushed me to go and replay the original FF7....and kind of forget about the remake.

Spoiler for Ending:

Definitely good with people taking what they want from this. And certainly fine with some being really excited. I think a lot of what they did with the remake worked well. But, that ending just doesn't leave me feeling good about it. At least I did give the remake a shot. Can see what the creators want to do here and where their focus is. I'll just pass on the rest of it though. This was effectively the last chance I was ready to give to the Final Fantasy series with honestly a lot of the last few main games just not working for me that well. If the next few parts come out and work out well then who knows. But, I'm ready to put this one back on the shelf and move on.
Old 2020-05-06, 06:16   Link #1091
Twi

Spoiler:
Old 2020-05-06, 07:02   Link #1092
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Ending spoilers for OG and Remake:

More of the Ultimania guide was translated. They talked about part 2 and said they wish to give players the same sense of freedom they got after leaving Midgar in the original, but they appear to be unsure how to do it exactly.
Old 2020-05-06, 10:12   Link #1093
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'll say the ending on this one kind of pushed me to go and replay the original FF7....and kind of forget about the remake.

Spoiler for Ending:
Spoiler:

Quote:

More of the Ultimania guide was translated. They talked about part 2 and said they wish to give players the same sense of freedom they got after leaving Midgar in the original, but they appear to be unsure how to do it exactly.
Well they did say to expect FF7 events to still play out. That 95% of the game is still gonna stay faithful to the OG but expect that 5% to be something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2020-05-06 at 10:40.
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-06, 12:32   Link #1094
Shadow5YA

Quote:

I think it's a bit simpler than that.

It's discussed in the Ultimania that Nojima wanted to incorporate all of the Compilation into one game (i.e. the Remake). You can see this with all the nods to Crisis Core, and Hojo's lab design being pulled from the Deepground in Dirge of Cerberus.

Of course, the original never accommodated the Compilation in any way, so naturally they had to rewrite some aspects. Including Crisis Core is easy since it was set in the past, but how would you incorporate Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus when they are set ahead of the events of the original game?

Spoiler for ending:
Old 2020-05-07, 17:12   Link #1095
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Just reached chapter 18 in hard mode. Rufus was annoying as fuck, it was the first boss I had to retry several times. After this, I looked up what strategy people were using and... what? Sleep and stop actually work on bosses?! Decades of playing Final Fantasy have taught me those spells never work, so I never even attempted to use them.

So basically: use them, it will make your life a lot easier.
Old 2020-05-07, 19:26   Link #1096
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The thing is that the vast majority of people don't pay attention to the actual data found in the assess screen aside of Combat Data and Weaknesses (also pleading guilty of that during my first playthrough since normal was a breeze).
The moment you don't see sleep or stop/slow in any resistance or immunity category, the target is pretty much exposed to it, to a certain degre since you can still see resist, unless it is part of the weakness category.
Also, use R2 to see their skill set. That also helps figuring out what's physical and what's magical for Protect/Manawall.

Or you can simply use counterstance. That skill works for 99% attacks of the game. It trivializes the vast majority of the bosses, particularly humanoids.
Frankly, its cost should have been 2 ATB gauges or have a shorter active window and/or longer vulnerability window.
Old 2020-05-07, 21:18   Link #1097
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Counterstance made the final boss a cakewalk.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-07, 21:45   Link #1098
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Or you can simply use counterstance. That skill works for 99% attacks of the game. It trivializes the vast majority of the bosses, particularly humanoids.
Frankly, its cost should have been 2 ATB gauges or have a shorter active window and/or longer vulnerability window.
I do think it's a bit silly that it can counter magic, but the skill needed something to incentivize using it when Punisher Mode counters are for free.
Old 2020-05-07, 22:05   Link #1099
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The thing with Counterstance, as I've encountered, is that it cancels the animation of whatever attack Cloud was in when you activate it. Punisher Mode counters, aside from being melee only, couldn't be used immediately while Cloud's in the middle of an attack.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-07, 22:08   Link #1100
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The thing with Counterstance, as I've encountered, is that it cancels the animation of whatever attack Cloud was in when you activate it. Punisher Mode counters, aside from being melee only, couldn't be used immediately while Cloud's in the middle of an attack.
It can, actually. In the frames where you switch from the standard Operator Mode to Punisher, it autocounters. This can be done during Operator Mode attacks as well.

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg