Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-03-03, 21:52   Link #1121
yaw1017

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Well, sometimes good writing = moving plot = good excuse to finish off some characters with style. Like Nicol or Mwu (sic...) in SEED. That's basically how I see it and why I am fond of the series filled with dramatic deaths which have a huge emotional impact on the viewer and thus improve the plot by maintaining a proper degree of suspense.

Yup. My idea was just one of many which one could really develop from the current geopolitical situation in CE.
Yup, totally agree with you. That's the difference between a GREATE Anime and nice Anime
yaw1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 22:21   Link #1122
4Tran

Quote:
Well, sometimes good writing = moving plot = good excuse to finish off some characters with style. Like Nicol or Mwu (sic...) in SEED. That's basically how I see it and why I am fond of the series filled with dramatic deaths which have a huge emotional impact on the viewer and thus improve the plot by maintaining a proper degree of suspense.
Heck, good writing would improve all Gundam shows, regardless of how many characters die. While killing a few here and there can generate emotional impact, I feel that it's often more a matter of the writing than it is the deaths themselves. For example, Victory is my favorite Gundam show, but all but a couple of the deaths in it do much for me. On the other hand, something like the first appearance of the Zanneck was awesome despite nobody biting the dust.
Old 2008-03-04, 04:23   Link #1123
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Heck, good writing would improve all Gundam shows, regardless of how many characters die. While killing a few here and there can generate emotional impact, I feel that it's often more a matter of the writing than it is the deaths themselves.
But of course. Nevertheless, a war show where nobody dies dramatically usually seems a bit lacking to me :P
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 11:58   Link #1124
4Tran

I don't know about that. Very few characters died in Turn A, for example, and it wouldn't have changed too much if those that did had survived. Admittedly, Turn A isn't really about war, but there you do.
Old 2008-03-04, 12:45   Link #1125
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
I don't know about that. Very few characters died in Turn A, for example, and it wouldn't have changed too much if those that did had survived. Admittedly, Turn A isn't really about war, but there you do.
Which means you liked Turn A? I don't know about the plot the way you do, because I've watched 5 episodes before giving up on the show.

I watch Gundam because, to me, it is a "war show". And war show without dramatic death is just lousy, IMO. That's my whole logic. It's as simple as that.
Old 2008-03-05, 12:33   Link #1126
Guppy

Quote:
Which means you liked Turn A? I don't know about the plot the way you do, because I've watched 5 episodes before giving up on the show.
I liked Turn-A. The setting was unusual, to say the least, but the characters grew on me steadily. I didn't miss worrying about who would die next, because I was still interested in what would happen next (besides which, a few characters did die, in suitably dramatic fashion).

Quote:
I watch Gundam because, to me, it is a "war show". And war show without dramatic death is just lousy, IMO. That's my whole logic. It's as simple as that.
Perhaps, but on the other hand having too many character deaths tends to dilute their individual impact. It also throws away a valuable chance to build universe depth, via returning secondary characters.

For instance, I thought it was totally wasteful writing to kill off all three of the Astray prototype pilots in the final episodes of SEED. One, even two, but all three? I frankly didn't care much about the Orb expeditionary force in Destiny, because I didn't know anybody in it; putting even a single familiar face aboard would have changed all that.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 13:01   Link #1127
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Yeah. But I was talking about CRUCIAL deaths. And the surprisingly quick demise of the three Astray girls was not that crucial in my eyes. I was like... "WTF? A'right... let's go on..."

Maybe death is not that necessary. But the suspense should be there. And the most powerful way to build up suspense is through killing someone whose death would be crucial enough to act as an "example". It's like... "See? Nicol/Tohru died, so... Maybe Athrun or Kira's next?
Old 2008-03-05, 17:02   Link #1128
4Tran

Quote:
Maybe death is not that necessary. But the suspense should be there. And the most powerful way to build up suspense is through killing someone whose death would be crucial enough to act as an "example". It's like... "See? Nicol/Tohru died, so... Maybe Athrun or Kira's next?
I agree that dramatic tension in combat scenes go a long way into making them feel more organic. However, it's also something that isn't used to particularly good effect in Gundam shows in general. Most the battles go out of their way to provide a relatively easy out for our heros, so there's much lesser sense of danger attached to the combat scenes. While having characters die will sometimes alleviate the problem, it's still endemic in the franchise. I think that the only real way to fix it is with better combat choreography, but that doesn't seem to be in the offing.
Old 2008-03-05, 18:08   Link #1129
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
I agree that dramatic tension in combat scenes go a long way into making them feel more organic. However, it's also something that isn't used to particularly good effect in Gundam shows in general. Most the battles go out of their way to provide a relatively easy out for our heros, so there's much lesser sense of danger attached to the combat scenes. While having characters die will sometimes alleviate the problem, it's still endemic in the franchise. I think that the only real way to fix it is with better combat choreography, but that doesn't seem to be in the offing.
I dunno... So far, so good. At least that's how I see it in Zeta and SEED.
Old 2008-03-11, 02:39   Link #1130
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

I really hope they make a third series... I enjoyed watching Seed and Destiny and was not disappointed at all.

Some people mention a movie that's suppose to come out after Destiny, did this come out already? (Is it the special edition?) Or has it yet to come out in 2008?

Thanks.
Old 2008-03-11, 03:27   Link #1131
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher7 View Post
I really hope they make a third series... I enjoyed watching Seed and Destiny and was not disappointed at all.

Some people mention a movie that's suppose to come out after Destiny, did this come out already? (Is it the special edition?) Or has it yet to come out in 2008?

Thanks.
the movie is currently in development hell
________
ASS TUBE

Last edited by OMG_Zerg_Rush; 2011-03-21 at 15:38.
OMG_Zerg_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 13:43   Link #1132
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Development hell...?
This just came out on Gunota:
Quote:
Whatever happened to the Gundam SEED movie?

Reports from Japanese sites, such as Ayano☆Diary, say the most recent issue of Animage gives a long-awaited update on the situation surrounding the Gundam SEED movie, originally announced back in May of 2006. Chiaki Morosawa, who was the subject of an interview, says the plot has been done for some time now but that following the end of SEED Destiny, she fell ill, underwent examinations, and currently goes to the hospital for treatment. Apologizing more than once, she states the delay was simply due to that and though there isn't a plan in place, she has no lack of energy so she asks fans to please wait a little longer.
Old 2008-03-12, 14:21   Link #1133
hero147

Hope she gets Better....A third seed series should be nice to watch. Only problem with Destiny was the fact that there was no character development. If there is another series I hope it involves something to do with Kira, and "the ultimate coordinator" I dont want it to be another war and them trying to bring peace.....
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 15:36   Link #1134
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Ummm what else is there to go on from SEED after Destiny?

I mean LOGOs was annihilated along with blue cosmos. Then you got the EAF that was pretty much decimated leaving only that island in the pacific as the only capable nation.

Everyone else is in ZAFT.

Soooo what else is there? I'm not even sure if we even want the EAF back given their awful performance last season.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 15:45   Link #1135
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

As shown with Durandal, there could always still be someone who believes he has a master idea of how Humanity should be molded and where should the ignorant masses be herded, like sheep obediently following a holy guide of sorts.

Since the villains' intents always revolved on ideas of genetic supremacy, there could still be a few ideas to be scraped up while they're still there. Blue Cosmos might be lights out for a while (although I imagine most of the popular hatred was focused on LOGOS and not your everyday racist or supremacist), but in PLANT there could be a few Zala loyalists left biding their time for a final moment of glory, like those old Zeon veterans in the F90 manga. I surmise a rift within the colonies could be enough to warrant EA rearming in order to 'pacify space'...but I'm not sure about the odds of this being the movie's central plot.

And...since EA pretty much desintegrated courtesy of LOGOS-sponsored tyranny, one could always venture into suchcountry vs. suchcountry, although it'd be less enticing or thought-spurring than a genetics-centered battle.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-03-12 at 16:02.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 16:00   Link #1136
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Why some people just defiantly claim that "there is nothing we can do with CE now"? It's the universe like any other. There's enough good and evil to fuel all kinds of conflicts that'd form a good basis for yet another scenario.
Old 2008-03-12, 16:10   Link #1137
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

*Sigh*

So your perfectly ok with some new racist faction popping up demanding the destruction of all coordinators and waging war against ZAFT where Orb/Clyne comes in to save the day? that's what I meant.

With all the main characters in ZAFT/Orb and the EAF pretty much destroyed who else is there?

Though I suppose some evil maniac from jupiter coming down isn't a bad idea...
Old 2008-03-12, 16:15   Link #1138
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Though I suppose some evil maniac from jupiter coming down isn't a bad idea...
The evil maniac or yet another crazy idealist could come from everywhere.

Saying that CE is a finished and barren land for ideas is like saying the whole Gundam universe is barren, too. How many faces of war could be there? Another group of terrorists? Another army of 'spacenoids'/colonists? Another maddened idealist with strong backup? Maybe aliens. Yes, aliens are nice (just joking).

I just think that there could be a hundred new ideas of starting up with a good story in CE. Just like there could be a hundred ideas for the new series in the robot/war franchise we all like.
Old 2008-03-12, 16:17   Link #1139
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

No what I meant was could CE do something other than some racist earth faction arising to eradicate the coordinators?

Since as I've already stated everyone is in ZAFT/Orb, it's pretty much set that whoever goes against them is pretty much screwed and pwned.
Old 2008-03-12, 16:21   Link #1140
ipernorris

We have Freedom+Justice+Destiny on the same faction. It's useless to say anything more.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep