AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-12-15, 21:21   Link #101
MCAL

I'm not entirely sure having mostly girls in anime instead of boys begets high expectations, considering 85% of anime already does that. Anyway, I read some of the manga. While I agree its rushed, the manga really isn't good.

Some disappointing anime include Hayate Cuties (Love the manga and this anime is just a disgrace. I see where people hate Manglobe getting manga to adapt), Kyoukai no Kanata and Kami Nai.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 22:10   Link #102
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Coppelion being plain bad is not equivalent to it being a disappointment. You have to expect something to be disappointed. I'm not sure how many people actually expected anything from that show.
This is exactly why I didn't list Infinite Stratos 2, and am curious why others listed it. How could anyone go into that series expecting anything other than what it is?

Same for Hayate Cuties. I didn't even bother with it because I knew it'd be awful.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 23:11   Link #103
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
This is exactly why I didn't list Infinite Stratos 2, and am curious why others listed it. How could anyone go into that series expecting anything other than what it is?

Same for Hayate Cuties. I didn't even bother with it because I knew it'd be awful.
IS 2 expectations mostly came from the novel readers. It turns out that s2 is a whole new level of bad adaptation compare to s1: butchering and compressing many things in the novel and replacing with fillers (think of Railgan s1 and Shana 2). Adaptation wise, I'd say that s1 is mediocore at best, but s2 is where people are debating whether it's total crap or almost total crap with tiny bit of redeeming aspect to salvage.

What's worse about Hayate Cuties and CTMEOY is that the the mangaka completely gave a thumb up to it. Things like this happen because what the author had in mind go against what fans really want.

With this season's IS2, KnK, Coppelion, and Ars Nova put together, I wonder if we can call Fall 2013 the flop season of the year? By flop I don't mean simply personal disappointment, I mean series where we heard lots of discussion and people saying great things about it during the primer phrase, but turns out worse than expected resulting in massive backlash of complaints and disappoints.

I don't meant to say there aren't any good series in Fall 2013. There are lots series that stands out like Log Horizon and Kill la Kill for me, but it's just that I felt there are more flops than usual this season compare to other season of 2013.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 00:23   Link #104
Alf

No need to be too serious about what other people vote, everyone have their personal tastes. As long as it's voted for disappointment instead of anti-hype reasons it would be reasonable enough, and I trust whoever making the list know how to make a judgement.

My votes:
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge - The abnormality bonded relationship was very well drawn at first and brought high expectation, then the madness went down and getting cheaper and cheaper.
Maou-yuu Mahou Yusha - Liked the novel a lot but this adaptation just don't get the point of being an animation work.
Suisei no Gargantia - Although overall it's still good, but the ending is a disappointment. With all those details of social aspects, I was expecting a resolution of bigger scale.
Golden Time - I might be contradicting myself by mentioning it as higher than expectation, but I got a mixed feeling for this show. It got very well at showing what it is like to be in love, and the comedy is decent enough to keep me going. BUT the drama is not well designed, and the main herione isn't treated like one. These flaws are becoming annoying lately, especially when there is the WA2 heart attack on the other side to bear.

Last edited by Alf; 2013-12-17 at 08:29. Reason: Canceled bold, and a few typos
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 02:01   Link #105
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post

IS 2 expectations mostly came from the novel readers. It turns out that s2 is a whole new level of bad adaptation compare to s1: butchering and compressing many things in the novel and replacing with fillers (think of Railgan s1 and Shana 2). Adaptation wise, I'd say that s1 is mediocore at best, but s2 is where people are debating whether it's total crap or almost total crap with tiny bit of redeeming aspect to salvage.
I have very little familiarity with the source material for Infinite Stratos but genuinely enjoyed season one -and I don't think I'm alone in that regard. Sure it wasn't the anime equivalent of great literature, but it was amusing, had some decent action scenes, and the characters at least got some development –it might have been a harem show, but there was quite a bit of focus on individual characters to offset the harem antics. Season two has a lot less individual focus, a lot more harem antics, fanservice elevated to a sleazy level, not a lot of action, and a plot that keeps getting put off in favor of more filler when it seems like there’s a hope of it finally getting moving (granted I didn’t exactly watch S1 for the plot, but S2 is so lacking that the plot was arguably a source of hope).

Granted Id wondered if the series had exhausted itself with the first season, but I still wasn't expecting the sequel to be this terrible.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 02:10   Link #106
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Stepping in here to re-remind people to keep discussion civil and balanced; let people cast their votes on things and/or be dissappointed in what they were, however they were rather than being dissappointed in what or how others went about being dissappointed.
Old 2013-12-17, 02:57   Link #107
DLH112

3.Steins Gate: Fuka Ryoiki no deja vu . Not bad at all, but disappointed because of extremely high expectations. The tension just wasn't there leading up to the climax, despite paralleling something in the series that had loads of it. the 90 minute length was also disappointing. Though that may be because I had watched several 2hr-2hr 30 anime movies recently.

2.Danganronpa I thought this would be the best anime of 2013 or close, like a new mirai nikki. Then the ending completely destroyed my high expectations.

1. Kimi no Iru Machi. I'm a huge fan of the manga and, as many others have stated, this adaptation is a travesty.
DLH112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-18, 21:21   Link #108
Miraluka
Banned

Well, now that Kyoukai no Kanata ended we can say how this series wins the award hands down
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 00:04   Link #109
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

After watching just one episode of Coppelion I could see they were overshooting their premise and it was pretty boring for a intro episode, so I gave up on it, but how is Samurai Flamenco not really mentioned? I waas really hyped on that show only to find out it was like a lukewarm love story between this rent-a-cop and this Kickass protagonist wannabe...That was disappointing...

I shutter to say Kyousaiga aswell...Maybe I'm wrong, but it started off so oddball cool and wondrous then it started getting into the "kids" backstories and became boring as hell...

On the flipside though I feel like almost every new sports show this year has been great from Ippo Rising, to Kuroko B-Ball, to Ace of Diamond and more...
Old 2013-12-19, 13:12   Link #110
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
but how is Samurai Flamenco not really mentioned? I waas really hyped on that show only to find out it was like a lukewarm love story between this rent-a-cop and this Kickass protagonist wannabe...That was disappointing...
Have only watched 3 episodes but from all the reactions after a certain episode seems to me there is more to it than that
Old 2013-12-19, 18:05   Link #111
Fuyuno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
how is Samurai Flamenco not really mentioned? I waas really hyped on that show only to find out it was like a lukewarm love story between this rent-a-cop and this Kickass protagonist wannabe...That was disappointing...
I dropped that show after 4 episodes and perhaps that was main reason why I forgot to mention it earlier and yeah Samurai Flamenco need more mentions in this thread.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 19:07   Link #112
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Have only watched 3 episodes but from all the reactions after a certain episode seems to me there is more to it than that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
I dropped that show after 4 episodes and perhaps that was main reason why I forgot to mention it earlier and yeah Samurai Flamenco need more mentions in this thread.
It kind of grew into something that blew away most people's expectations a bit after where you guys dropped the show.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 19:34   Link #113
Kirarakim

The ironic thing is Samurai Flamenco did disappoint me after an early great start but the show is absolutely nothing like what the previous two posters are complaining about.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-12-19 at 21:10.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 20:08   Link #114
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The ironic thing is Samurai Flamenco did disappointment me after an early great start but the show is absolutely nothing like what the previous two posters are complaining about.
It didn't really disappoint me but I totally agree with you

Some people are really just making this an "the anime i hate in 2013"
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 20:21   Link #115
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Infinite Stratos While I wasn't expecting much, but had I known that it was mostly fan service, execution poorly done, cliche popping out like rabbits out of a hat, and removal of a good amount of content. I would have saved myself 30 minutes per week.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 22:52   Link #116
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
It kind of grew into something that blew away most people's expectations a bit after where you guys dropped the show.
You might as well put it in a spoiler tag and tell me because its more likely I'd go back and watch it based on that then ever watch it again based on what I've seen so far...
Old 2013-12-20, 02:52   Link #117
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
Blazblue: AM was/is terrible. Just play the game, the animation is better there and you can actually understand the story if you start from the first game.

Attack on Titans anime was overhyped and cut up into the worst 25 episode billed thing possible. The manga is strong.

Devil Survivor 2 just bland, hated the characters.
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 02:57   Link #118
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Infinite Stratos 2 just stolen the crown from Coppelion as the TOP MOST DISAPPOINTING ANIME of 2013 in my list
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 10:49   Link #119
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
Infinite Stratos 2 just stolen the crown from Coppelion as the TOP MOST DISAPPOINTING ANIME of 2013 in my list
Then you need to watch Galilei Dona or KnK .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 20:52   Link #120
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

While I think the worst and the most disappointing anime can be the same thing, I think it should be reminded that the two do not have the same meanings at all (I think a number of people are forgetting this fact). Kyoukai no Kanata is getting a lot of flak here and it probably is my choice too for the most disappointing anime of the year but in my opinion, it is no way NO WAY the worst show of 2013.