AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 26 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 43.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-01, 17:54   Link #101
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Those are indistinguishable vaguely humanoid (but still kind of blobby) looking shapes. How can you be so certain of this?

Have you been drinking by any chance?
I agree, they look like those generic little decorative figurines that people tend to somehow accumulate.. I don't know how many of those things I have at home. (At school, my work area has Pinky:St figures scattered everywhere.. I cannot *wait!* for the Haruhi ones to come out. )

As for the episode itself.. man, I would've watched episode four last night had VLC not been freaking out on me... sometimes it does that.
Old 2007-05-01, 17:55   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know if you remember a television show called "Beavis & Butthead" which lampooned the outrageously stupid and drug-addled teen population of idiots and empty end of the genepool. Guess who it was enormously popular with?
(The characters were the sort of people you avoided even if you were a metalhead and made the people who lived in "Wayne's World" look positively genius and sensitive by comparison)

Now, Lucky*Star is pretty gentle in its lampooning ... but a lot of us do see elements of ourselves in the characters.
Old 2007-05-01, 18:12   Link #103
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I agree, they look like those generic little decorative figurines that people tend to somehow accumulate.. I don't know how many of those things I have at home. (At school, my work area has Pinky:St figures scattered everywhere.. I cannot *wait!* for the Haruhi ones to come out. )

As for the episode itself.. man, I would've watched episode four last night had VLC not been freaking out on me... sometimes it does that.
Man I've been reading a lot about people having computer troubles the past few days. I had some of my own when I installed Java SE 6.0 Update 1, causing Opera to constantly revert its settings, Azureus to crash on load and Alcohol 120% not to boot. Before it could do anymore damage it was gone with a quick visit to my Add/Remove list. Whatever you do, don't install it or it will kill your Java programs, Wait for an announcement from Sun Microsystems.

I just use Media Player Classic. Everything's built in and it uses almost no system resources. It also seems to play everything.
Old 2007-05-01, 18:38   Link #104
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't know if you remember a television show called "Beavis & Butthead" which lampooned the outrageously stupid and drug-addled teen population of idiots and empty end of the genepool. Guess who it was enormously popular with?
(The characters were the sort of people you avoided even if you were a metalhead and made the people who lived in "Wayne's World" look positively genius and sensitive by comparison)

Now, Lucky*Star is pretty gentle in its lampooning ... but a lot of us do see elements of ourselves in the characters.
I think we've all got a bit of a masochistic tendency. It's also not uncommon for people to make fun of the ones they really love. ^_^

Kinda reminds me of Welcome to the NHK! in a very strange sort of way...
Old 2007-05-01, 19:12   Link #105
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Kinda reminds me of Welcome to the NHK! in a very strange sort of way...
NHK portrayed some of the most extreme cases I've seen in my entire life. I'm not talking about Satou himself (who, though he has an actually real syndrome, doesn't portray your average otaku), but people like the ultimate hikikomori he meets (the brother of his old class president). NHK was terribly reflexive about it, while LS is just poking fun at it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-01, 23:54   Link #106
krln99

Anyone here a Nakano fan? I like her interactions with Kona, especially when Kona is BSing calling in sick. Nakano simply calls her on her BS and tells her to more or less "get her ass to school." I wish there were more teachers like that in real life.

Nakano also seems to pick on Shiraishi in class, as kind of a counterpoint to Kona. Not because he's a model student, but because he's a slacker, and Kona an even bigger slacker.
Old 2007-05-02, 00:02   Link #107
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nakano ... I love her accent and she manages to retain class authority while being an obvious carouser.
Old 2007-05-02, 00:15   Link #108
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

LC's sub is out. I'm going to try it and see what the fuss is about...

Happy Leeching!

Old 2007-05-02, 02:27   Link #109
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Its out?!!...Alright!!!....

this better not be a joke or something..><''
Old 2007-05-02, 02:41   Link #110
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumiko View Post
Its out?!!...Alright!!!....

this better not be a joke or something..><''
No joke! Observe: [LC]Lucky Star Ep 4

I just watched it, and just based off of LC's sub, I can give this ep a 9 but I'm going to wait for a.f.k.'s sub to make my final judgment. As to the subs themselves, I thought that some of the word choices could've been better, and it probably wouldn't hurt to go through the editing pass one more time.

Old 2007-05-02, 03:21   Link #111
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
No joke! Observe: [LC]Lucky Star Ep 4

I just watched it, and just based off of LC's sub, I can give this ep a 9 but I'm going to wait for a.f.k.'s sub to make my final judgment. As to the subs themselves, I thought that some of the word choices could've been better, and it probably wouldn't hurt to go through the editing pass one more time.

And a spell-checker too.
Old 2007-05-02, 03:35   Link #112
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. thats why they call them "speed subs" ... nuance and quality figure less than speed.
Watched EnA's ep 3 .... I'm still preferring their translation. The egg/sausage joke was dimmed a bit (mostly only the egg got through) but otherwise I thought they handled the dialog pretty well.
Someone told me that if one is really into the details then Wind's may be the ticket: next time I get a few 100 spare megabytes of schedule, I'll take a look at theirs.
Old 2007-05-02, 04:22   Link #113
Anime Online

No fighting games this week, but Lucky Star is not without a fighting game reference this week! I'm wondering how long they can keep this up.

Figurine in Konata's room

Terry Bogard from the fighting game Fatal Fury
Old 2007-05-02, 04:41   Link #114
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
That little figure to the left of the big one reminds me of L from Death Note, with the mass of crazy black hair, white shirt, and blue jeans. I highly doubt it is, but I just wanted to mention it.
Old 2007-05-02, 05:19   Link #115
Telliamed
sensei no pet

I've got to stop watching Lucky☆Star at 3am. I nearly woke up my housemates a couple of times during this episode.

I am now officially in love with Kuroi Nanako. Sensei is a gamer! I'd have been in so much trouble if any of my teachers ever played online with me.

I've gotta do screenshots to summarize this ep.

Spoiler for bandwidth:

Please tell me that's not an analog connector. Blasphemy!

Spoiler for bandwidth:

Maybe this will stop all the HaruhiHeads from bitching... or not.

Spoiler for bandwidth:

Sorry, Kona-chan, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

The part I laughed hardest at (actually, that was the first bit with Nanako... but this is close), and it was really unexpected, was the but about cutting the cake. Of course, we keep returning to the infamous how-do-you-eat-food meme. But I have a personal connection to this particular joke.

Do you remember a long while ago when Penny Arcade had a sister-site called The Bench? Anyone could upload comics based on (or not) a template with PA drawings. I did a couple of them, even though I can't draw worth crap. (But after seeing how little talent some other people had, I figured what the hell.) This was one of the jokes I did...
Spoiler for bandwidth:

Spoiler for bandwidth:

Black screen for 10 seconds. Obviously done to cut costs.

Spoiler for bandwidth:

Eh?

Spoiler for bandwidth:

The background music during this scene sounded familiar. Anyone else recognize it?

Spoiler for bandwidth:

You just know Konata built that box herself.

Spoiler for bandwidth:

I am so getting the raws next week. So what if I can't understand a word they're saying. Having to read subtitles will just distract me from watching cute high school girls in kimono.

edit: Another difference between the twins. Kagami says "shankyu" and Tsukasa says "arigatou".

Last edited by Telliamed; 2007-05-02 at 07:06.
Old 2007-05-02, 05:30   Link #116
Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
No fighting games this week, but Lucky Star is not without a fighting game reference this week! I'm wondering how long they can keep this up.

Figurine in Konata's room

Terry Bogard from the fighting game Fatal Fury
No it isn't. It's the back end of this guy:

Old 2007-05-02, 07:10   Link #117
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The fighting game reference would be the Akuma toy on her desk when she's trying to study.
Old 2007-05-02, 08:21   Link #118
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I don't even know why exactly, since it wasn't really all that different, but in comparison with the earlier episodes, which I found funny but nothing more, this one was absolutely awesome!
The only thing that I thought was not hilarious this time was the Lucky Channel part, Akira's change of mood-gag is kind of getting old.

Oh, and Kona-chan doesn't only resemble me studying...she IS me studying.
Old 2007-05-02, 09:43   Link #119
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've watched this episode three times now (raw, Chinese sub, English sub) and the line that never fails to force a chuckle out of me is : "Iku." (Konata saying "I'm coming" on the phone after hearing about the cookies.) Hirano Aya's tight little delivery is just so perfect.

I can honestly say that the three performances this season that really do it for me are Aya's here, Kawasumi Ayako's as Nono in Hitohira, and actress Ando Mabuki's as Barsa in Seirei no Moribito. Absolutely top notch, all three. I really never knew Aya had this comedy in her.

EDIT: Just having watched ep5 of Touka Gettan, I have to add Itou Miki's sensual performance as Yumiko and Juna.

And yes, like others, I enjoyed ep4 of LS best. Perhaps we're just getting used to it. Perhaps the show is really finding its rhythm, as has been said.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-02 at 11:22.
Old 2007-05-02, 10:42   Link #120
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

This is the funniest episode for me out of the rest that's been aired.
It seems like Konata's habit mirrors mine a bit too closely for comfort >.>
Cleaning the room when you don't feel like doing anything, can't get off a manga/novel, watching anime and end up cramming a few hours before going to school.

However, Lucky Channel's gag is getting a bit old for me as well.