AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-11, 00:10   Link #101
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
Do the characters at all remind you of K for some reason?
Not at all. Why K, of all shows?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 00:13   Link #102
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

The main character.
Old 2013-10-11, 00:39   Link #103
kuromitsu

Quote:
The main character.
I don't think they're similar at all...
Old 2013-10-11, 01:36   Link #104
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 05:40   Link #105
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Never seen the trailer, only its cover so I thought it's going be a real henshin hero anime, or at least a parody of one like Tentai Senshi Sunred, instead episode 1 felt like a toned-down, anime version of Kick Ass
Old 2013-10-11, 06:23   Link #106
RollingPenguin

Oh man it is nice to see "old" noitamina back!I liked the fact that this had a pretty low key comedy,rather than usual anime humor that mostly relies on energy to be funny.The interaction between main characters is pretty great,they play off each other really well.Production values are poor though,but who cares when the script is so great.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 09:49   Link #107
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
Never seen the trailer, only its cover so I thought it's going be a real henshin hero anime, or at least a parody of one like Tentai Senshi Sunred, instead episode 1 felt like a toned-down, anime version of Kick Ass
Yep, this totally felt like Kick-ass, except with no badass loli ( ). I wasn't particularly impressed with this first episode but this has potential. I'm very curious to see where they will take this. Is the OP an indicator of things to come or does it simply display Masa's chuunibyou fantasies that will never come true?
Old 2013-10-11, 10:00   Link #108
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Tiger and Bunny meets Chuunibyou meets intentionally aiming at BL fans/fans of dreamy guys (the whole "My actual job is being a model" bit, plus the already apparent bromance). Interesting mix here.

I won't lie - I was hoping for "For Real!" Superheroes, but this can be good too. If nothing else, it's nice to see Sentai/Superhero fans get their time in the spotlight as well, and not just you're more conventional otakus (Ore no Imouto, Outbreak Company, etc...).

I do like how the cop looks a bit like Bruce Wayne, and has a practical but contemplative air to him. He's not afraid to tell "Samurai Flamenco" when he's acting crazy and crossing the line, but he'll also hear out the guy and seriously consider what he has to say.
Old 2013-10-11, 12:42   Link #109
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

I'm not going to lie, I was much more annoyed by the obvious BL elements here then in Tiger and Bunny. The reason was that the oversexualized character here happened to also be the more obvious fantasy fulfillment character. Sure Barnaby was fujoshi bait, but you were never meant to empathize with his struggle, you were empathizing with Kotetsu.

Here? I don't really know who they are targeting, because the story is a more classical male targeted one, but all the Josei elements beffudle it.

Maybe, I'm just a prude who can't handle it when it's the other side gets objectified. I bet this must annoy the crap out of girls when the "releatable" girl is wearing a skimpy outfit. However, this feels more like if you took a show like chihayafuru and tried to give her huge boobs and cleavage so "men will want to watch too!"
Old 2013-10-11, 12:49   Link #110
Kirarakim

Quote:
Maybe, I'm just a prude who can't handle it when it's the other side gets objectified. I bet this must annoy the crap out of girls when the "releatable" girl is wearing a skimpy outfit. However, this feels more like if you took a show like chihayafuru and tried to give her huge boobs and cleavage so "men will want to watch too!"
Well I am happy you admitted that. As a woman I don't completely understand what bothers guys in terms of objectifying for the most part (there was a shot in Free! where the focused on a guy's behind in a speedo that bothered me).

As for the BL elements I do notice them right away. I am not necessarily a BL fan but I do like stories of male friendship and I tend to see the relationship "both ways". Like I think it is fun to see the subtext that can make it something more. However on the canon side I do just love a good friendship story with no subtext.
Old 2013-10-11, 12:56   Link #111
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well I am happy you admitted that. As a woman I don't completely understand what bothers guys in terms of objectifying for the most part (there was a shot in Free! where the focused on a guy's behind in a speedo that bothered me).

As for the BL elements I do notice them right away. I am not necessarily a BL fan but I do like stories of male friendship and I tend to see the relationship "both ways". Like I think it is fun to see the subtext that can make it something more. However on the canon side I do just love a good friendship story with no subtext.
I don't really care that much about fanservice shots of men. I found the fact that he was naked at the beginning more amusing then annoying. It was the way that Samurai Flamenco's personality was shaped as an uke that annoyed me. Because, even when he was being excited or doing something cool there was always a vibe of "isn't he just so precious, don't you think that big strong manly cop guy should sweep him into his arms!" that just felt like it made no sense. It's trying to both be a story a story about a guy trying to be a super hero even fi that makes no sense, and the story about the romantic friendship between a cop and a male model, and the two just don't gel.
Old 2013-10-11, 13:55   Link #112
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Having just watched the first episode, I think that this is going to fit into either the buddy picture or buddy cop genres and anything else is up to the overactive imaginations of the viewers.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 16:11   Link #113
kuromitsu

Aaaand here we go again, a show has two guys as the main characters and unsurprisingly people cry "BL! BL! Oh no!" I could be ironic here pointing out that the same people usually don't go "Fake lesbians! Oh no!" every time female characters blatantly grope each other and whatnot in shows targeted at male otaku viewers, but it's late and I'm tired, so I'll just roll my eyes some more. ->

Quote:
Because, even when he was being excited or doing something cool there was always a vibe of "isn't he just so precious, don't you think that big strong manly cop guy should sweep him into his arms!" that just felt like it made no sense.
Maybe it didn't make sense because it was just you trying to see something that was not actually there? Masayoshi is precious, in an "aww he's stupid but so earnest you just want to cheer for him" way, but it's not like Gotou is a "big strong manly cop" or the writers are doing a wink-wink nudge-nudge. Again, here I could be making ironic comments on overreactions and the hypothetical connection to feeling secure/insecure in one's sexuality but it's late.

There's also some irony in how in my day certain people used to accuse a certain group of mostly female fans with "NOT UNDERSTANDING FRIENDSHIP" and trying to see guy friends as more than that; and how nowadays it's guys seeing two guy friends immediately as more than that just because there's no female love interest in sight so obviously the writers are trying to imply that they're liek totally romantic. Meanwhile, this particular rotten woman is sitting here wondering if we've been watching the same show.
Old 2013-10-11, 16:14   Link #114
RollingPenguin

I really didn't any BL vibes and speaking as a guy the friendship between two main characters seems pretty normal to me.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 17:22   Link #115
Kirarakim

Well when I said I saw signs of BL I didn't necessarily mean they were purposely setting up a seme/uke situation. I meant more that I felt producers probably know what audience they are targeting. Still I highly doubt there is going to be any actual BL in this show.
Old 2013-10-11, 18:33   Link #116
Dop
Mmmm....

Sometimes I swear that if Star Trek started now there'd be people complaining about the BL elements. After all, Kirk/Spock is the archetypal slash coupling.

But only in the eye of the beholder.

Masayoshi being naked in an alley was a joke, he was such a crap 'hero' that he'd been beaten up by a drunken idiot and ruined his fancy costume. Goto is just a cop who was passing by and decided that Masayoshi was more a hazard to himself than to the public.

Sure. Masayoshi and Goto are eminently slashable, but take off the damn goggles.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 18:35   Link #117
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Sometimes I swear that if Star Trek started now there'd be people complaining about the BL elements. After all, Kirk/Spock is the archetypal slash coupling.
Ahem it is actually a threesome between Spock Kirk and McCoy
Old 2013-10-11, 18:44   Link #118
takai
Easy Muffin

Anyone else getting a Tiger and Bunny feel from this? Not a bad first episode though.

God, I can already see the waves of all the yaoi doujins of these two.

Last edited by takai; 2013-10-11 at 19:14.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 20:06   Link #119
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is there something in the current Japanese scene that has produced this sudden spate of off-beat superhero shows? I've been watching anime for about seven years now, and I don't recall seeing two superhero shows within months of each other. I will admit I'd prefer to have Hajime or OD backing me up than Flamenco.

I thought the existence of Goto's girlfriend was designed to undermine any BL implications right from the start.

Though this episode was amusing, I'm still in a wait-and-see mode. Of course all superhero shows are by nature absurd, but I found the Gatchaman team somehow more believable even though the story was entirely unrealistic. I presume SF will eventually level up and be able to beat down a bunch of middle-school punks with his eyes closed in some later episode. Fighting real evil? Well, I think I'd rely on Goto-san for that.

The girl who stood staring at him at the end of the beat-down looks like the sort of character who will actually play a role in the story. I'm waiting for the time when she or some other girl realizes who SF really is.

Are the girls in the ED the anime representations of the song's performers? Is one of them really called "Moe Moe?" The letters were somewhat obscured.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 20:11   Link #120
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought the existence of Goto's girlfriend was designed to undermine any BL implications right from the start.
Except he did say that it was a long distance relationship.

Ha Ha found this Samurai Flamenco drinking game on tumblr. I admit I am guilty of some of these myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolen from Tumblr
SAMURAI FLAMENCO TAG DRINKING GAME

take a shot whenever someone mentions “it’s so gay!!11” (“it’s so yaoi!!!1” works too)

- three shots if “the yaoi” is seen as something very Wrong by the poster

take a shot whenever someone points out said “gay yaoi scenes!1” or calls the show “fanservice”

take a shot whenever you see a post comparing the show to another show

- four shots if the show in question is Tiger and Bunny

Take two shots whenever you see someone saying “it’s not what i expected”

drink the whole bottle if someone flames the yet to be introduced female characters

Tags
action, noitamina