AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Mai-Otome Character Do You Hate The Most?
Nina Wong 12 4.69%
Erstin Ho 9 3.52%
Mashiro Windbloom 12 4.69%
Arika Yumemiya 19 7.42%
Shizuru Viola 8 3.13%
Irina Woods 1 0.39%
Natsuki Kruger 2 0.78%
Juliet Nao Zhang 0 0%
Haruka Armitage 1 0.39%
Sergey Wong 61 23.83%
Tomoe Marguerite 74 28.91%
Nagi Dai Artai 26 10.16%
Miya Clochette 11 4.30%
Other (list below) 20 7.81%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-17, 06:55   Link #101
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, I kinda forgot about this thread it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki23 View Post
More years? At what age do students enroll at Garderobe, I was under the impression that it was around the age of 14. Meaning that Erstin didn't spend YEARS with them, she spent at most, a year or two.
Again, note the exageration. However, my point still stands. In Garderobe she was surounded by friends that helped and supported her to achieve her dream, her own familly trains her to kill said friends. I don't know about you, but I'm having trouble calling that love. So yes, she did indeed spend more years being loved in Garderobe then she spent years being loved by her own familly.
Old 2008-02-17, 20:08   Link #102
amythest*moon
has too much imagination

Send a message via AIM to amythest*moon
Although I don't hate her with a BURNING passion, I really didn't appreciate Miya's additude and way of doing things. She was so willing to do whatever Tomoe said, but found it all so morally ambiguous- she always ended up regretting it, or screwing up, and that pissed me off. If you can't think for yourself, and you can't be a good lackey, then focus on your studies. Don't just mess around and then get all upset about it.
Old 2008-02-17, 20:20   Link #103
Tsubaki23
Glomp no Jutsu master

Send a message via AIM to Tsubaki23
I suppose we'll never know since you never get to know what's in Erstin's head.

"Because it's the law" "Mother, Father, Grandmother Grandfather" - Now then, are these all people told her to do so? Or were these family members who had died as well? "The Ho family lost several females during the war"

There's nothing to say that Erstin did not love her family, even if they did most likely treat her crappy, or at the very least "expendable" ALL Slave Lords are treated as expendable.

Erstin, I believe.. thought to a degree what they were doing was right, that unlocking technology would make everyone happy, that there would be no more wars. That part, I think she did agree with. The fighting part? Not so much.

I'm not saying that her summoning a Slave is forgivable, not at all. I just saw it more as a backed into a corner, confused action, than a random "Ok! I'll kill my friends now!"

........... and I still think Nina is the worst. XD
Old 2008-02-25, 02:03   Link #104
Yorassuko

1. Shiho
2. Tomoe
3. Nagi

I'm gonna go with Shiho. Her only point in the show was humor and it failed horribly in my opinion

Tomoe is second. The whole bad character vs evil character point makes sense but naturally evil characters leave more of a negative effect on people than bad characters. Hence why she has the most votes.

Nagi was pretty funny and his character was intriguing... once again, but he was still annoying as hell and they still didn't explain his motives enough. Guess that's just how he is xD

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised so many people hate Sergay. I thought he was a huge improvement over Tate, who was among my least favorite in HiME. I also thought Nao was vastly improved here too.
Old 2008-08-18, 23:33   Link #105
Friday
Im shy too...

Nagi......I want to beat the stuffing out of him
Old 2008-08-19, 10:05   Link #106
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
I'm with the majority here. I hated Tomoe, though I'm pretty sure that we were supposed to hate her. She was sick through and through, and the writing offered her no sympathy.
Spoiler for Tomoe spoilers:

I don't hate Sergay, but I don't like him. I strongly disagree with most of his choices and his annoying lack of a spine when it came to two girls young enough to be his children.
Spoiler for Pedobear:
Old 2008-08-21, 07:34   Link #107
DemonInDiscuise

I dotn hate someone from an anime fast....

but I FREAKIN HATE TOMOE!!!
she deserves worse than death, but first they need to cut her hair, I cant stand it.
some say she is like shizuru from mai hime, but shizuru is way better, she has a better demeneor, smarter, better and just lost control, and when she lost control she did everything for natsuki, tomoe just out of rage and in the end did not hesitate to attack shizuru as well(when she was completly sane at the moment)

and by the way, she did not fall for the real shizuru(like natsuki did) but for the good little onee-sama shizuru pretends to be
Old 2008-08-21, 15:12   Link #108
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Actually it was the very Shizuru who said to Tomoe "you remind me a bit of myself", warning her to steer clear of trouble. Or so the Italian subs I have say.
Shizuru Hime has of course a better demeanor, but they are basically born from the same prototype: this.

That said, I still prefer Shizuru over Tomoe anytime.
Old 2008-08-23, 00:32   Link #109
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
Actually it was the very Shizuru who said to Tomoe "you remind me a bit of myself", warning her to steer clear of trouble. Or so the Italian subs I have say.
Shizuru Hime has of course a better demeanor, but they are basically born from the same prototype: this.

That said, I still prefer Shizuru over Tomoe anytime.

Hmmmm...last week I pulled out my R2 dvds of Mai Otome and rewatched this scene. While she did actually say that...it's not in the same context of what you think. It's a common misconception too so it's understandable.

Not sure if you heard the Otome Drama CD where there were flashbacks of Shizuru and Natsuki back in their Schools days at Garderobe but during their youth, Shizuru was depicted as a spoiled brat that wore a mask. She even managed to full Natsuki, who had a crush on her and wanted so much to be her Hey-gakari. After a moment of being alone with her, Shizuru had assumed that Natsuki was like all the other fan girls and wanted to be treated the same way. So after making a pass at Natsuki, Natsuki out of shock, slaps Shizuru and says something to the effect of, "How could you, Oneesama?!"

Shizuru was shocked over the slap and had assumed that is exactly what Natsuki had wanted seeing that all the other fangirls would have enjoyed the same treatment. So later on, Shizuru is inside the Trias headquarters still thinking about that incident and Natsuki. She thinks to herself "Anoko" (translation: That girl...). Haruka notices how out of it, Shizuru is and reprimands her for not being true to herself. She basically points out that she wears a mask all the time. Though with a little help from Yukino, Haruka devises a plan to get those two under speaking terms again. So she marches directly to Natsuki (with Shizuru in tow) and claims Natsuki as her own Hey-gakari much to Shizuru's dismay. Haruka calls her on it and challenges her to a butou with the winner claiming Natsuki.

Mai is present during this announcment so she tries to pep up Natsuki. But then Natsuki feels apathetic and unmotivated to care because of how disappointed she feels knowing that Shizuru-oneesama wasn't the image that she constructed in her mind. Mai mentions that it's Natsuki own fault for conjuring up that image and then in one last attempt to encourage Natsuki, she in turn says that perhaps she should make an effort to be her Hey-gakari instead. Natsuki is not thrilled to hear this so Mai peps her up some more and pushes her to get what she really wants.

So after that motivational speech, Natsuki is out looking for Shizuru. She encounters Shizuru walking somewhere and runs after her. And with a raspy, frustrated sounding voice (and close to tears_ she yells out, "Shizuru-oneesama! PLEASE make me your heya-gakari! I want to know more about you...the REAL you!" Shizuru hears this and is so moved that her own voice is shaking and she herself is on the verge of tears when she softly say's "Natsuki"

So yeah, it's basically just about the "fake" image that she created (and by "fake" I mean her so-called perfect serene front that she puts up in front of other people)...which is also what Tomoe had created as well in front of most of the students (I'm not counting her own croonies) as well as her own Oneesama and school faculty.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-08-23, 16:36   Link #110
LotusGenie13

I voted Sergay. It wasn't really his own fault, but I feel disgusted by his relationship with Nina. At the very least, he could have told Nina clearly that her incestuous feelings would go nowhere and tell her to find someone else. Also, Arika's sudden crush on him seemed to be a bit of an ass-pull.
Old 2008-08-26, 07:50   Link #111
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
NAGI FREAKIN ARTAI!! (i mean not that HiME one)
Old 2008-08-29, 04:08   Link #112
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Hmmmm...last week I pulled out my R2 dvds of Mai Otome and rewatched this scene. While she did actually say that...it's not in the same context of what you think. It's a common misconception too so it's understandable.
Thank you for the throughout explanation! Yeah, I read the synopsis of those Drama CD but I missed the connection with the words of Shizuru. I really thought she was referring to her Hime counterpart.
Old 2008-09-10, 10:53   Link #113
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

(Note: Warning for wall of text. If I get complaints, I'll put it in a spoiler box to not spam the thread).

Heh, Tomoe seems to be the one everyone loves to hate. Her hatred and anger seemed to come from nowhere. It's explained by Shizuru's feelings for Arika? Huh? I'd figure Tomoe would hate Natsuki a lot more... I didn't really notice anything besdies friendliness from Arika to Shizuru, and Arika's just friends with everyone (which is why she's my favorite in the series ), and Shizuru is kind of a creepy perv with ALL the girls, so Arika's no real exception.

Sergey was a close two for me and NOT because of the age differences. I think a lot of people have this "Judaic/Western (especially American) arrogance" with regards to how people must live their lives and relationships, or be called "sick" and "wrong." To me, that's the ultimate hubris, especially given how immensely screwed up American society is. As long as both parties are consenting, generally past puberty (ie. 15-ish) and hence better able to understand what's happening, then I think it's more a matter of what other aspects of the relationship draw them together. Honestly, if Arika was 24, and Sergey (logically should be at least 30-ish) just wanted to seduce her for sex, I think it's way more demeaning than Arika being 15 and Sergey actually being attracted to her because of her spirit, energy, and enthusiastic optimism. The latter is actually attraction to someone and caring about who they are, while the former is pure lust, with no regards for anything else. IMHO, which is more likely to screw someone up? Anyways...

@LotusGenie, I think the Arika-Sergey matchup makes a TON more sense than Nina-Sergey. I can completely understand both parties. Arika had no father, so when someone is showing affection for her and being there for her when she needs it, I think she gets these jumbled up feelings and can't quite determine if it's gratitude, affection, love, romance, or what. I think his attraction towards her is understandable. She's (obviously) cute, but also energetic, honest, friendly, and idealistic, which I think are attractive traits to a lot of people. The age difference is obviously a factor, since he DOES mention it, but truly I think that matters less than a lot of the other obstacles (her dreams of being an Otome, Nina's feelings, Nagi's Xanatos Gambit, etc.).

IMHO, Nina-Sergey is a bit odd, not because of age, but rather the father-daughter thing. It just seems odd that a girl would develop romantic feelings for a (even foster) father. But, I guess it's not unheard of. It's really hard to tell how those feelings developed, but it appears in the series to have a lot to do with Nina confusing those feelings of protectiveness, affection, warmth, and safety that she felt with him, with romance. I think a lot of it may also stem from a lack of maturity (as in Arika's case) to understand her own feelings, and Nina's own personality of outward stoicism and holding her emotions inside instead of allowing them room to move around.

@Kagamin - I agree that the daughter-father thing was what bothered me (and not the age thing so much), but I don't think Sergey really returned the romantic feelings with Nina. It seemed pretty clear that he always thought of her as a daughter. It was also made very clear that he did NOT have sex with her in the series. I think the reason he seemed "not able to resist" was more that he was very conflicted as to how to spare her feelings without taking a step he saw as one too far. I think him kissing her was a bit of a compromise to that effect. Now, it may be a compromise that's even too far for most people, but that's one of the reasons his character was #2 on my list (which is where I come in agreement with you, Kagamin ), because instead of doing the right thing by Nina and just being HONEST with her about how she means too much to him as his daughter to go down the path she wants to go and treating her like an adult, he treats her like a lost childish Tom Cruise and figures she can't handle the truth.

Plus he's kind of a bastard in how he cruelly manipulates her into doing those terrible deeds even knowing how much it's ripping her up inside. And when she FINALLY gets around to letting her emotions out, instead of comforting her and letting her drain out all that poison inside, he yells at her to "Shikarishirou, Nina!" Way to go... prick. In a way, he treated Arika with more respect and kindness than he did his own daughter, because at least with Arika he up front let her go and saved her from Nagi's wicked plans.

_I_ think Nina was remarkable in the end in that she DIDN'T reject responsibility for her actions, even though she was cruelly played by the two biggest bastards in the series. She accepted responsibility and resolved to live her life atoning for her mistakes (also more evident in Zwei).

Again apologies to anyone who received critical damage from the wall of text. I hope you make the fortitude save.

Ciao!
Old 2008-09-13, 02:54   Link #114
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Wow, thank you KitsuneNineTails, your post was very interesting to read.
In particular what you wrote about Sergay.

Tomoe is also the one I hate the most, but if I have to think about poor character development Sergay is the one, along with Arika, that I find more disappointing.
My problem with Sergay is his lack of decisiveness or, better, the fact that at a certain point of the series he starts to act completely Out of Character with what it was stated before.
In the first episodes he is shown as a capable soldier and politic, the Ambassador of his country, the right-hand man of a ruler. A man that under a mask of kindness hides a cunning and selfish soul. And considering that in the past he even was the State Assassin, one could assume that his character is... a truly bastard (not that I hate them when they are well done and necessary for the show).
But, as long as the real bastard arrives and the real plot emerges, Sergay's character crumbles and in the end of the show he's nothing like he was in the beginning. He's indecisive and conflicted, and an epic failure as a father, soldier, and counselor. And, in my opinion, no clear reasons were given to justify this involution from what he was before.

Sergay is unable to protect his daughter or even to support her. He is shocked when Nagi's uses her powers against her very friends but what was he expecting? He himself has raised Nina with only one goal in mind, to be Nagi's Otome, and I find truly impossible that Sergay didn't know Nagi's plans, considering he was his right-hand man. Or was he really convinced that Nina's future would have been to clean to castle of his Master!?!
Then, when finally Nina asks his help, in that heartbreaking way (yeah, Nina is a manipulator second only to Nagi), he neither decides to accept her feelings, not he rejects her. It would have been a truly act of honesty, in both cases, but no. Sergay prefers a compromise that costs him a bullet through his brain...

With Arika, I can understand he is attracted by her enthusiastic optimism, to the point that he even betrays Nagi for the first time in his life,to protect her, but how could he think that his secret support for Arika wouldn't have angered Nina?
Again, Sergay treats Nina as if he doesn't know any of her, despite the fact that he has raised her like a daughter.

I mean, he's truly the cliché of the anime man/woman who walks in the world unaware of what happens around him, but this wouldn't be bad if before the script hadn't introduced him as a totally different character.
But then they gave Sergay too many conflicting affections, towards too many people, Arika, Nina, Nagi and even Lena, so that in the end he results indecisive and pulled where the script needs him, even to the point that his very distinctive characterization in the beginning is modified for the sake of said script.
Old 2008-09-15, 09:32   Link #115
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

@AL: I dunno if it was bad writing per se, although I can completely see where you are coming from. The writers may have started off with an idea for Sergey to be this conflicted dark and manipulative character who had a secret agenda to help the protagonists (kinda like Mashiro in MH), and they just didn't really do enough to bring that around.

Or, they may have intended for him to be a weak, indecisive character who can't really decide what he's doing or why. I agree that some of his actions seem... odd. His protectiveness for and attraction to Arika makes sense to me, especially since he had a crush on Arika's mother when he was a kid, but IMHO you are also right in that he doesn't really seem to know his own daughter well enough to understand what's going on (even though he later admits he knew about Nina's feelings... ?). Also, how he treats Nina seems pretty casually cold and manipulative given how much she appears to mean to him early on in the series, and like you said, how could he not know or care what Nagi intended to do with her. I guess real people are sometimes conflicted like that, and sometimes act outside of what would be considered their normal character, but I dunno if I can see a person like that becoming the right hand aide-de-campe to a powerful ruler like Nagi or being emotionally stable enough to have been a good father up until that point...

I guess either way, he's kind of a dick...

Ciao!
Old 2008-09-15, 14:47   Link #116
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Ahah! Definitely he's that, and this is exactly my point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
I guess real people are sometimes conflicted like that, and sometimes act outside of what would be considered their normal character, but I dunno if I can see a person like that becoming the right hand aide-de-campe to a powerful ruler like Nagi or being emotionally stable enough to have been a good father up until that point...
I can justify Tate in Hime for being indecisive, but he's a teen. And it's not unreal for a fifteen years old boy (or girl) to act that way. To be selfish, insecure, and to be mean to people they care about. All things considered almost all the characters in Hime are that way, but they are slightly more than children.
Sergay, on the other hand, is a totally different matter. And he acts too awkwardly in the series, considering his age and the background they gave him.
Old 2009-06-10, 10:37   Link #117
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Nagi bothered me quite a bit in Mai-Otome. He just sorta has this aura around him that makes me hate him. Surprisingly enough, after seeing how loving Tomoe was around Shizuru, I sorta stopped hating her. I also though "Rado" (Reito) was a little annoying in this series.
Old 2009-06-13, 20:58   Link #118
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Tomoe and Nagi... but I voted Nagi because I hate him more than Tomoe! XD
Old 2009-06-22, 02:40   Link #119
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Prayer View Post
Nagi bothered me quite a bit in Mai-Otome. He just sorta has this aura around him that makes me hate him. Surprisingly enough, after seeing how loving Tomoe was around Shizuru, I sorta stopped hating her. I also though "Rado" (Reito) was a little annoying in this series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
Tomoe and Nagi... but I voted Nagi because I hate him more than Tomoe! XD
Hey guys, that's exactly what I like to know! I mean Same goes as mine Until i've felt bothered (Paranoid.) during real life.

Yeah, the way they talked truly pisses me off.....

Oh SUNRISE..... Why those shows was all about EMOTIONS & FEELINGS?

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2009-06-26 at 17:32.
Old 2009-07-27, 07:16   Link #120
tonjajtop

tomoe did serve herself as a bad person in Mai otome
but think about in OVA, she turned into some sort of amused character
it changed all of my ideas about her and think she is somewhat so cute
so i'am going for Sergey
Closed Thread