Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-09-20, 05:26   Link #1201
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Not a Muv-Luv product, but I'm tempted to buy one of these and mod it into you-know-who...
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...02328&page=top

...so, opinions? Do-able? Or a waste of time? I'm thinking of modelling the Dress Blues uniform version, but skill with aircraft and Gunpla != skill with modelling figures...
Why not? Do you know how to use putty? Get some modelling tamiya Epoxy putty, mold it into the general shape you want for the clothes, and put it together. You dont have to do much to the hair other than to shade it orange, but if you want it to be closer you will have to reduce the size of the balls = putty. You might want to re-do the eyes. If you are not confident with painting from scratch, you should find some pre-printed decals. Or order some custom made ones. Or print your own if you can locate the supplies.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 05:28   Link #1202
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchelJohn View Post
Plausible but high chances of seeing it become a disaster
- (looks at boxful of failed modelling projects)

...welcome to my world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr
Why not? Do you know how to use putty?
- Yes and no. I've used Tamiya Putty for filler, Milliput and Tamiya Epoxy Putty for scratchbuilding some sectionsof Gunpla/aircraft, and a bit of Polyester Putty. But as I mentioned, that's for mechanical bits. I'm not that good at smooth or 'organic' (EG cloth) surfaces. I've only recently started modifying a Phantasy Star Racaseal kit with putty hair---its not bad but not good.

Lots of work needed. Definitely not on the level of the Japanese Figma modders.

EDIT: Scratch that idea. That figure is 16cm tall, bigger than figmas (figmas are 14-15cm usually with a few exceptions). I was plannign to use a few 1:12 or figma-scaled bits and pieces on it, but at that size it's too big.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2013-09-20 at 05:40.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 06:38   Link #1203
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...yknow, there's probably Figma and Dolfie versions of Yui and cast out there....

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 06:42   Link #1204
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
...yknow, there's probably Figma and Dolfie versions of Yui and cast out there....
- There's four Muv-Luv figmas: Meiya, Sumika, Yui, and Cryska. And custom-built Dollfies abound.

But Lillia? Pft. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. And even if there was, the chances of a Lilia figure in Dress Blues is a negative value.

Oh, By the way: at least SOMETHING I'm building is coming along very nicely...
Old 2013-09-20, 06:55   Link #1205
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
-
Oh, By the way: at least SOMETHING I'm building is coming along very nicely...
Looks good, keep it up! I wish I had time to do my models, instead of leaving them in various states of unbuilt. Would need to stop translating to do them up.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2013-09-20, 08:33   Link #1206
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

You don't try to build them all at once, not unless you have nothing else to do. I basically build mecha, aircraft, write fics and juggle them because when I can't get the drive or inspiration to do one thing, I can usually shift gears and do something else.

If I find I can't get around to doing anything, then I'm royally @#$@$%ed.
Old 2013-09-20, 09:16   Link #1207
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Unfortunately I only have 2 hours of free time daily for the last 6 months, and you guys have seen the fruits of those hours.

Old 2013-09-20, 09:33   Link #1208
John117xCortana

Is that a Silent Eagle?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 09:44   Link #1209
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Not exactly. It's Icon-2 from my fic (meaning Strike Eagle body, few bits and pieces from the Silent Eagle/Gekkou, and some other modifications that I am not at liberty to talk about at the moment). you'll notice the leg-mounted conformal fuel tanks are huge compared to Silent Eagle's or Active Eagle's.

Yes, this is one other reason why my fic takes so long. I have to double and triple check that what I'm writing matches to a physical model for reference. I had tons of trobule with mountign the PB blade initially until I sanded a bit of the handle off to fit the Strike Eagle hands.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2013-09-20 at 10:04.
Old 2013-09-20, 12:09   Link #1210
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
- (looks at boxful of failed modelling projects)

...welcome to my world.

- Yes and no. I've used Tamiya Putty for filler, Milliput and Tamiya Epoxy Putty for scratchbuilding some sectionsof Gunpla/aircraft, and a bit of Polyester Putty. But as I mentioned, that's for mechanical bits. I'm not that good at smooth or 'organic' (EG cloth) surfaces. I've only recently started modifying a Phantasy Star Racaseal kit with putty hair---its not bad but not good.

Lots of work needed. Definitely not on the level of the Japanese Figma modders.

EDIT: Scratch that idea. That figure is 16cm tall, bigger than figmas (figmas are 14-15cm usually with a few exceptions). I was plannign to use a few 1:12 or figma-scaled bits and pieces on it, but at that size it's too big.
Don't remind me about the characters that needs merchandise that has nearly none. ;_;

柚香マイワイフ!<3
issuzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 18:42   Link #1211
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by issuzark View Post
Don't remind me about the characters that needs merchandise that has nearly none. ;_;
- ...you've got YUZUKA. She's got tons of merchandise compared to Lillia.
Old 2013-09-20, 22:39   Link #1212
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
- ...you've got YUZUKA. She's got tons of merchandise compared to Lillia.
Book covers, cards, daki cover, cloth, bed cover. tapestry, clear folder.
Whoever's smart idea are those to release such stuff and yet no fig?

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-09-22, 06:26   Link #1213
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I know it's not an official Age product, but damn, TSF Forefront is looking better each time I see it.
http://youtu.be/5BCsosYSJR8

Confirmed playable TSFs (from what I see since they scroll through them rather quick): F-4, F-25, F-18, YF-23, Shiranui, and I think a Takemi.

...oh yeah, be careful launching missiles when the ceiling is low.
Old 2013-09-23, 19:05   Link #1214
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by issuzark View Post
Book covers, cards, daki cover, cloth, bed cover. tapestry, clear folder.
Whoever's smart idea are those to release such stuff and yet no fig?
âge hates money: we haven't gotten a Latrova fig either. Not even a resin kit, at the very freaking least.
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 22:58   Link #1215
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

I think you guys miss the point. Kouki is trying to avoid the direction most commercialized series takes, which results in a much lower grade of product as the producers generate mediocre goods to appease the demands of the market and earn money. This usually means whoring out the franchise, and we can see how that is going for Gundam.

If you look at how the products have been released so far, you would would know just how long one has to wait for age to release the rights or move to allow for figures to be marketed. We had to wait for 8 years before the first model kit of TSFs to be released, and the first Meiya GSC 1/8 figure was the only Muv luv figure for 6 years, before the figma and Volks MOE series was released. Age seems to work by testing the market for a couple of years first, before moving to release the designs of characters for sculpting, instead of saturating the market with every single character with low grade products. The only mistake they made in my opinion is how they allowed the release of the softcore TE figures, before the audience knew what MLA was about, making ppl think for a while that MLA is about H.

Old 2013-09-24, 09:58   Link #1216
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
I think you guys miss the point. Kouki is trying to avoid the direction most commercialized series takes, which results in a much lower grade of product as the producers generate mediocre goods to appease the demands of the market and earn money. This usually means whoring out the franchise, and we can see how that is going for Gundam.

If you look at how the products have been released so far, you would would know just how long one has to wait for age to release the rights or move to allow for figures to be marketed. We had to wait for 8 years before the first model kit of TSFs to be released, and the first Meiya GSC 1/8 figure was the only Muv luv figure for 6 years, before the figma and Volks MOE series was released. Age seems to work by testing the market for a couple of years first, before moving to release the designs of characters for sculpting, instead of saturating the market with every single character with low grade products. The only mistake they made in my opinion is how they allowed the release of the softcore TE figures, before the audience knew what MLA was about, making ppl think for a while that MLA is about H.
I like how Muv-Luv is not commercialized much though. Too many fans spoil the whole fanbase, even if it already sucks.
I do look forward to more Mabu-ravu stuff apart from Total Eclipse and the main trilogy though.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-09-24, 14:21   Link #1217
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Oh, I completely agree with you, gab. I too am very glad Muv Luv isn't mainstream like other mecha series. However, all I'm saying is, well, a limited edition Latrova figure or resin kit would really be just...Godly.

I mean, outside the fandom and maybe the very hardcore figure collectors, who else will be interested in such merch? I mean, I can see the mecha kits/figures going somewhat mainstream, but the rest of the franchise? Very unlikely.

Which also makes me somewhat glad Total Eclipse wasn't a hit. Imagine just how bad the fanbase wars between "original trilogy fags" and "TEfags" would be right now. They already are bad enough.
Old 2013-09-24, 15:14   Link #1218
gbatemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServantOfPriss View Post
Oh, I completely agree with you, gab. I too am very glad Muv Luv isn't mainstream like other mecha series. However, all I'm saying is, well, a limited edition Latrova figure or resin kit would really be just...Godly.

I mean, outside the fandom and maybe the very hardcore figure collectors, who else will be interested in such merch? I mean, I can see the mecha kits/figures going somewhat mainstream, but the rest of the franchise? Very unlikely.

Which also makes me somewhat glad Total Eclipse wasn't a hit. Imagine just how bad the fanbase wars between "original trilogy fags" and "TEfags" would be right now. They already are bad enough.
I don't get it.. if muv-luv went mainstream, it's much more likely the trilogy would be animated.
Who gives a fuck about whether what I like is not mainstream or not, you either like it or not. Who gives a fuck about the fan base and their petty fanbase wars. Just enjoy the content on your own or with friends.

Who else would be interested in such merchandise? WHO else then the fandom would be interested in the merchandise? If I have never seen something, why would I buy merchandise for it. Makes absolutely no sense. The whole point is, if it went mainstream, their would be a sufficient amount of fans to make it worth producing more merchandise.
gbatemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 15:46   Link #1219
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbatemper View Post
I don't get it.. if muv-luv went mainstream, it's much more likely the trilogy would be animated.
The trilogy will never get animated though, whether it gets mainstream or not.

Too hard to do, too much of a gamble, and then there's the risk of Kouki wasting the budget on cars instead. And maybe expensive geishas too.
Old 2013-09-24, 19:09   Link #1220
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServantOfPriss View Post
The trilogy will never get animated though, whether it gets mainstream or not.

Too hard to do, too much of a gamble, and then there's the risk of Kouki wasting the budget on cars instead. And maybe expensive geishas too.
Expensive cars, eh. I wonder what does he have now.

柚香マイワイフ!<3