AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-16, 12:30   Link #1301
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I believe Mordin said something about humans being the most genetically diverse or something. To the reapers, military strength/advancement does not matter as those are negligible compared to what reapers already possess (for example, killing a spider vs a centipede).
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 13:21   Link #1302
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I just have to remind everyone that humans are over-acheivers in ME.

Technologically none of the normal races developed Mass Effect tech on their own. They all used Prothean tech. Ths meant tech advancement is a luck of the draw depending on how soon you find a Prothean site. Other races merely had a head start; humans developed technologically at an insane rate compared to everyone else, once you put that into account.

Essentially human evolved culturally and technologically much faster. By having higher variation in the population humans can change more. In comparison the other races are far more sluggish and inflexible. Even the Asari are guilty of this, as the Matriarch Barkeeper made a note of.

It is easy to take human traits for granted, as it is normal for us. But think in terms of the ME universe; it is not normal at all, in that world.
Old 2012-01-16, 13:28   Link #1303
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Yeah, I'd say it has to be the versatility/unpredictability of the human race and Shepard crushing all Reapers' plans so far that made Earth the No.1 target.

Spoiler for ME2 spoil:
Old 2012-01-16, 19:46   Link #1304
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
That's true I guess, though humans aren't as strong (militarily) as say, the Turians. The reason provided so far is because their plans in ME1 and ME2 were both foiled by Space jesus Shep. So they want to deal with him (and the rest of his kind) first before "assuming direct control" of the whole Galaxy again
The key here is "not as strong yet." During the First Contact War, the Turian advantage was mostly home-field and numerical. Even outnumbered and out-gunned, humans managed to score several victories against the Turians. Now that humanity and its fleets grow in numbers, Turian supremacy is no longer a certainty.

Not to mention that while the Turians are known for their military-centric society, humanity is not unexperienced in the act of war either. Our history alone would probably have made many of the other races pale and ask themselves if they really wanted these guys.

I mean, it took an external threat for humanity to stop bashing its own heads and look somewhere else. That's saying something about how dangerous we are.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 20:47   Link #1305
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Stephen King put it best.

"At bottom, you see, we are not 'Homo sapiens' at all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle."

And aliens are bothered by that.
Old 2012-01-16, 21:17   Link #1306
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

If it was just that though, we'd simply be more slowly reproducing Krogans in the eyes of the galaxy. No, the really bothersome part is that in addition to being experts on the area of murdering, we also know how to temper that and win our battles through talk. Humanity is as ruthless in politics and trading as it is at war, and we always have a need to want more. More power, more money, more everything.

And humanity is getting it. That is what has the galaxy scared. We came our of nowhere and suddenly we are everywhere and running everything. Even getting our own embassy before races that had been council members for centuries, if not longer.
Old 2012-01-16, 21:26   Link #1307
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm really looking forward to ME3!

I think Bioware has done a great job so far, particular because ME2 was a great improvement over ME1, so I'm quite hopeful that ME3 will be even better, though the whole multiplayer coop thing worries me a bit, seems like a weird feature to add at the end of a series.

I'm actually wondering where they'll go after ME3. If it's a success, they'll have definitely refined a good formula, and it would be a shame to see that go to waste. I'd prefer not to see another game in the same universe though, but I'd love to see another Sci-Fi RPG with similiar elements. Then again, they could do another game in the ME universe, that doesn't focus on saving the galaxy. Say, Running a mercenary company?

You guys have any idea what Bioware will be doing once ME3 ships and it's (presumably) a great success?

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2012-01-16 at 21:38.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 21:26   Link #1308
Who

^Rising Dragon sums it up best.

Humans are the jack of all trades. Only other large scale civilizations in the series that even comes close to humanity's mindset in general are the krogans and to a certain extent, salarians (because salarians have no problem striking without declaration of war, as opposed to humanity). But compared to humans, it feels more active and necessary for their survival whereas we do it for the shits and giggles. Basically, I feel like they're (krogans) the end result of what our civilization would become if the world powers were to engage in a World War III in the future. That being said, they're nowhere as threatening as Turians on a wide scale.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 22:52   Link #1309
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If it was just that though, we'd simply be more slowly reproducing Krogans in the eyes of the galaxy. No, the really bothersome part is that in addition to being experts on the area of murdering, we also know how to temper that and win our battles through talk. Humanity is as ruthless in politics and trading as it is at war, and we always have a need to want more. More power, more money, more everything.

And humanity is getting it. That is what has the galaxy scared. We came our of nowhere and suddenly we are everywhere and running everything. Even getting our own embassy before races that had been council members for centuries, if not longer.
Looking from the alien's perspective, Humanity doesn't NEED anyone. We have enough versatility to not need any other races to make up our shortcomings. As such, humans are the only race who could conceivably conquer the galaxy. Aliens could easily believe humans could absorb and adopt whatever tech advantage they had, then just swamp them through a combination of military might and diplomacy.

Maybe that's what Cerberus is actually planning; they KNOW human domination is achievable, and decided that humans are the Chosen Race to rule everyone everywhere. And no matter what path Shepard take in his life, Cerberus would still win philosophically; Shepard is a human, and the more successful he is in the galactic stage the more justified Cerberus is in being arrogant.
Old 2012-01-17, 00:27   Link #1310
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
That is of course assuming Cerebus is fighting for humanity.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 00:42   Link #1311
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
That is of course assuming Cerebus is fighting for humanity.
If TIM thinks humanity is best served by becoming Reapers, then it is still technically for the sake of humanity. Assimilate and become your enemy. Become stronger at all costs and via every possible means. It's the Renegade Way.
Old 2012-01-17, 04:37   Link #1312
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If TIM thinks humanity is best served by becoming Reapers, then it is still technically for the sake of humanity. Assimilate and become your enemy. Become stronger at all costs and via every possible means. It's the Renegade Way.
I think what he's implying is that TIM is only really looking out for TIM, ie his own interests. He comes close to even admitting as much in ME2

TIM really missed the boat anyway. The message of Mass Effect has always been united we stand, divided we fall. Each race brings something they do better than any other to the table. Asari, biotics. Turians, weapon development/calibrations (lol). Quarians, engineering. Krogans, well...I think that one goes without saying. Shep's teams in ME1 and ME2 were like a microcosm of the Galaxy as a whole. I have no doubt the same will take place in ME3 and as a result, TIM's plans will fizzle and Shep's will prevail. The idea that if all races would put aside their differences and work together (say, Quarian and Geth or Krogan and Salarian) they'd be stronger is a fairly basic concept in ME-verse. No reason it can't apply to humanity either.

--------

Anyways, has everyone decided what class they will be taking in ME3? I went Sentinel in ME2 for Insanity, but was disappointed at how easy it was. So unless they have increased the difficulty, I'll probably be sticking with my first choice Engineer.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 06:29   Link #1313
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I was an infiltrator. Sniping's fun
Old 2012-01-17, 06:40   Link #1314
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I was an infiltrator. Sniping's fun
Ah Infiltrator, I've always wanted to try. Did you use the Widow?

---

By the way guys, the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo is up on XBL. Will probably be up on PC/PSN too. If you download it you get extra stuff in ME3 (special armor, an assault rifle) sort of like the DA:O promotion with ME2.

Last edited by Darkbeat; 2012-01-17 at 06:52.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 06:42   Link #1315
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Vanguard: The Only Way To Play®

CHAAAAAAAAARGE + Shotgun FTW

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 06:56   Link #1316
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Unless they radically change the way Infiltrators play, I'm going to stick with that.
Old 2012-01-17, 07:03   Link #1317
Skane
Anime Snark

Well, I chose Infiltrator for my main playthrough savegame, so I will be finishing the saga as one.

*Boom* Headshot
Old 2012-01-17, 07:12   Link #1318
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
Ah Infiltrator, I've always wanted to try. Did you use the Widow?
Yup. One shot kill ... every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
*Boom* Headshot
Hell yeah! Nothing more satisfying then hearing that *BOOM* and seeing your enemy collapse onto the ground.

Nothing more dissatisfying as when you miss

Only problem with Sniper rifles was the lack of Ammo...
Old 2012-01-17, 08:51   Link #1319
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

ME 1 = Soldier , honestly , it was boring to play just shoot.....
ME 2 = Vanguard , so fun to play , Charge , Shockwave , Pull....
If we can change class in ME3 with imported save , i'll try the infiltrator next.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 08:53   Link #1320
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Infiltrator is also surprisingly fun to melee. With stealth you can sneak behind the lines and cause absolute chaos.

Tags
effect, games, mass