AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-12-15, 14:41   Link #13201
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
This kind of bugs me because girls have been shown to not go fangirl on any guy that enters the Academy. Look at Dan, he had no fangirls chasing him and he's been described as a long haired pretty boy in TVtropes. It just feels odd that girls are relegated to people who say "Kyaaa~" every time a guy opens his mouth. The girls weren't even that bad in canon. Is this usually the norm?
Maybe author aware of this phenomenon by any chance? Maybe Dan are just hit with 'generic cuteness' syndrome, drawn bishonen style but described as generic.

@Blitz: any opinion of above posts?
Old 2011-12-15, 14:45   Link #13202
Eratas123

I'm more on the fact that no one can seemingly write a male OC without girls fangirling over the guy. This was one of the main reasons for all the Gary stu syndromes since girls seem to act like the males are some of God's gift to men. Is this the standard nowadays?
Old 2011-12-15, 14:50   Link #13203
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
I'm more on the fact that no one can seemingly write a male OC without girls fangirling over the guy. This was one of the main reasons for all the Gary stu syndromes since girls seem to act like the males are some of God's gift to men. Is this the standard nowadays?
Stemming from the fact that most intentional Gary Stu in harem story are self insert (whether said or not), so they must be idealized. Meanwhile, ACCIDENTAL Gary Stu is not one, but still fulfill 'better than the main lead' concept.

(Admit it, most of the pointless rom-com harem story is wish fulfillment, hence why protagonist SHOULD be relatable to fandom, and has not enough personality/importance compared to his harem)
Old 2011-12-15, 14:52   Link #13204
Eratas123

Are girls really just fodder fans in story's? Even stories that have decent OC's like Rain and xtenchix have girls turn into fangirls for most of their appearances. The only one to avoid this so far is Stratos and I'm also planning to do so.
Old 2011-12-15, 14:55   Link #13205
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Are girls really just fodder fans in story's? Even stories that have decent OC's like Rain and xtenchix have girls turn into fangirls for most of their appearances.
Would you believe me if I said Kyuukai is started as Gary Stu-ish? I was literally gone "WTF is this guy again?" in chapter 1, but later not so bad.

Quote:
The only one to avoid this so far is Stratos and I'm also planning to do so.
Go ahead and be proud of your effort.
Old 2011-12-15, 14:59   Link #13206
Eratas123

I also found him a bit stuish early on since Laura acted almost completely opposite and, as one reviewer pointed out, he practically owns an IS anyway. This was made better when Rain got here I was even considering dropping him from Shadow since he seemed way too strong for me to write about.

I'm not proud of what I'm doing, I'm just accounting to personal taste. Besides, who would fangirl over a white haired shota with a mean strak the size of a train?
Old 2011-12-15, 15:06   Link #13207
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
I also found him a bit stuish early on since Laura acted almost completely opposite and, as one reviewer pointed out, he practically owns an IS anyway. This was made better when Rain got here I was even considering dropping him from Shadow since he seemed way too strong for me to write about.
Not only strong but omnipotent and omnipresent, Rain's current plan is like countering that.... while slowly reducing the fact that Kyuukai drives the plot.

(There's actually a Gundam SEED Fanfic that work the same way as HoTM, Gary Stu first, Broken Ace later)

Quote:
I'm not proud of what I'm doing, I'm just accounting to personal taste. Besides, who would fangirl over a white haired shota with a mean strak the size of a train?
Crazy fangirls, such girls are obviously very rare.

Last edited by ZeroXSEED; 2011-12-15 at 17:41.
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 15:12   Link #13208
Eratas123

@ Senpai - It was more on the fact that he seemed too good at everything. The first draft of chapter 4 showed him panicking when Charlotte nearly shot the wall (Even a grown man would) and yet this was OOC so I had to trash it. If Rain didn't allow me to weaken Kyuukai, I would have dropped him after the London Arc and replaced him with Maximillian. He seemed too strong at his base form and I don't need a problem solving messiah since the pint of everything is that they're flawed individuals.

Good thing I dropped the fangirls I don't want to bother writing corny chase sequences by mobs That's why I wrote Irish's slice of life as more serious.
Old 2011-12-15, 15:18   Link #13209
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
@ Senpai - It was more on the fact that he seemed too good at everything. The first draft of chapter 4 showed him panicking when Charlotte nearly shot the wall (Even a grown man would) and yet this was OOC so I had to trash it. If Rain didn't allow me to weaken Kyuukai, I would have dropped him after the London Arc and replaced him with Maximillian. He seemed too strong at his base form and I don't need a problem solving messiah since the pint of everything is that they're flawed individuals.

Quote:
Good thing I dropped the fangirl I don't want to bother writing corny chase sequences by mobs That's why I wrote Irish's slice of life as more serious.
Fun stuff: corny romance/ ecchi stuff is deconstructed in TLR Stratos because Sainan is safe heaven for the guys and girl to act honestly, seeing each other as equal without doubt, out of the school... well...

Mio: "I couldn't believe school is more fun than walking in Shinjuku" :

Saruyama: "Agreed, cheers"

(Oh, I forgot to tell you that I ship Saruyama & Mio)
Old 2011-12-15, 15:22   Link #13210
Eratas123

Even now I think I'll have to lower Kyuukai's involvement since me and Rain have too many similar plans. That and Kyuukai seems a bit odd in the world of Shadow due to his representations. Kyuukai seemed to be meant to be a main protagonist unlike Irish who was made to be a tritagonist. This kind of feels odd to write since Kyuukai seems to be involved in too many things now and he might look like a spotlight hound if this continues.

Why are they so sad? I don't exactly understand their problem here.
Old 2011-12-15, 15:30   Link #13211
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Why are they so sad? I don't exactly understand their problem here.
"Male these days are essentially useless cowards gave up to their fate ended up being slaves", "All females are selfish, prude dominatrix". This kind of prejudice is unbearable sometimes, especially amongst adults.

Allegedly, most teens are the victim, and even their carefree nature is not enough to cover their paranoia. This makes boy-girl relationship REALLY awkward.
Old 2011-12-15, 15:33   Link #13212
Eratas123

Ohhhh~ So the Sexism is almost/completely non-existent in the school! That's why they're so sad when going outside of school

Can a person fight without being fully aware of what's happening? Like if they're suffering from dehydration or even gas effects.
Old 2011-12-15, 15:37   Link #13213
Eratas123

Going to sleep, see ya in a few hours, Senpai You should get some sleep as well.
Old 2011-12-15, 15:45   Link #13214
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Ohhhh~ So the Sexism is almost/completely non-existent in the school! That's why they're so sad when going outside of school
They meant it's more fun to hang in school than outside it, but your conclusion is correct.

It's so weird that in the Kyoto arc, as Sainan Students undergo their Study Tour and VERY lovey dovey and cheerful in the process, they're reported in local newspaper as anomaly. Normal teenagers can be smitten and that, but not as far as mass-skirt-flipping game!

(for all intent and purposes, Rito win the game... because Risa threaten to drive a lot of slu-ahem, forceful girls to torment him. His reward? A temporary ensemble of harem... )

Quote:
Can a person fight without being fully aware of what's happening? Like if they're suffering from dehydration or even gas effects.
Dehydration maybe, gas... not so much. (dehydration might kick the adrenaline up and boost your reflex... but say goodbye to your endurance)
Old 2011-12-15, 15:55   Link #13215
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
Maybe author aware of this phenomenon by any chance? Maybe Dan are just hit with 'generic cuteness' syndrome, drawn bishonen style but described as generic.

@Blitz: any opinion of above posts?
Well to me, Ichika's appearance is more like a prince charming to the girls in IS academy, same thing with their reaction when Charles came in. Dan strikes to me, while as a guy, but maybe the girls don't hit on "bad-looking" guys because to me, his appearance gives me the impression that he's a delinquent/gangster.

I can see that girls will go for Irish (if he looks like Yuriko that is), is that he has an appearance of a bishonen and in most shoujo stories will draw girls faster than a magnet.

EDIT: I got your link Zero, thanks. Time to get to drawing that Kurogane...xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.

Last edited by blitz1/2; 2011-12-15 at 17:33.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 19:07   Link #13216
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

Anyone online?

@ Eratas and Zero: Kyuukai's more or less a stu. But I intend to change his outlook one way or another.

Kyuukai and Irish are foils to each other, and it's highly reasonable that you want him to have much less spotlight in Shadow. After all, Kyuukai's got a fic for himself.

... Yep, I have a lot to work on. The fic is in fact my first fanfic I have gotten critical praise and attention from, so I'm a high novice at writing and pleasing my readers. I'm learning the best I can, with advice from the best people I know about writing things like this.

Heart of the Machine is intended to run for about three seasons, about 20 chapters each. From the beginning, Kyuukai thinks of the world as revolving around himself and the people close to him. So he's bigheaded, overconfident, and a bit cocky. The next season, after settling down from wounds both literal and figurative, his outlook begins to change. His world isn't simply about himself and the people in it.

Everyone has a story to tell, and his isn't the most important no matter what he does. The POV begins to switch between characters that have the most impact in the world, such as Adam, and Matthias (Matthias Anderson Davies, my third OC). He's more meek, more eager to listen to what other people have to say about themselves. He learns that his world isn't driven by him, but the people who help inhabit it. He learns his job in life isn't to just simply keep his own going. He learns that his job in life is to keep other worlds going themselves. But as he starts focusing on helping others move their lives forward, he starts to neglect his own.

He begins drifting apart from Laura, when Canan and Koneko enter his life. Soon, they don't spend as much time as they used to together. It's possible that they might just break up.

During the third season of HotM, Kyuukai's main task amongst the plot is to fix the rift jammed up in his own life. Everyone's moved on, life is moving on it's own pace and he's beginning to be left behind. So he takes a deep metaphorical breath. And he starts sprinting for the finish line.

And there, he'll find the answers he's been looking for.

On a random side note, I've been planning to do a bigger sidestory that could be it's own fic.

"Through the Eyes of Another", will take place in the HoTM universe. But through the eyes of Ichika Orimura. From childhood, to ISA, to when he becomes a man, a hero, and maybe a father, he'll live through his life, and due to different events...

This will be a different Ichika Orimura then canon.

Also, I may need Zero's help in this one. He knows how to pull off a kickass Ichika.
EthernalRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 21:07   Link #13217
Eratas123

@ Rain - Don't worry, Irish is pretty much a Stu as well One of the reasons I made him a normal is because I wanted him to be unique from all the other OC's who use power armor. Also, Irish was made with the intention of deconstructing how living in a world like the IS is. This is why he's markedly different in personality and actions.
Old 2011-12-15, 21:28   Link #13218
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
@ Meistah -

1. Yeah, she's a second year. A third year being better than Tatenashi makes sense since she'd have more experience. Also, Louise is a PT mole so it makes sense.

Okay! We haz epic boss fight.

Without crazy name screaming. At least not yet.

Quote:
2. What about Erika and Celeste? Erika has normal parents and the German military probably would be shocked that one of their super soldiers is an ISper.
Erika... Her parents actually know of it; her grandfather Vulkan Weber was the one who discovered the trait in her. But her parents love kids (that's why they have 8 of them) so something like this wouldn't scare them. Furthermore, Erika loves IS; that's just basic for any IS pilot IMO, and having this trait makes it easier for her to succeed. Vulkan also has been crafting a special weapon to take advantage of that trait for Erika. So her family's been very supporting.

In my story, Germany is the first country to officially seek and create ISpers. The Schwarzehase pursue this trait as one of their objectives, and the top 10 of the Rabbits (from Laura, Clarissa, Heidi to Gertrude, and Celeste) are all ISpers that they've managed to create. As Germany has 10 IS according to Zero, that means all of them are given to the Adeptus Rabbites (1 Regen + 9 Schwarz MPIS).

In Deutchland, ISpers own IS, and you.

Quote:

A. Awww~ Happy ending all around for Karon. I'd imagine her pay is crap since she constantly had to pay for her students medical bills

B. Doubly awkward since her parents are Military offices and irish was, by some accounts, a terrorist. That's going to be awkward as all hell to explain.

Now I really want to read something like that

Eventually...

Quote:
@ Senpai -

1. Clarissa has no boyfriend? Might be good for some humor if someone comments on the fact that she's a fervent shipper yet has no experience in relationships herself. This happens later on when Irish comments on it.....then he finds Joshua spending time with her in the city in casual clothes. Cue Big No and Anti-Heroic BSOD
THIS MUST HAPPEN FOR GREAT JUSTICE.
Old 2011-12-15, 21:45   Link #13219
Eratas123

@ Meistah

1. Where does the fight take place? It can't be a public area or the teachers will immediately try to break it up and I'm assuming they're stronger than the students.

2. So none of the parents react with disbelief at all? Man, those are some cool paremts Hopefully they'll do the same when Karon introduces Irish

3. I'll be looking forward to that draft I want to see Karon teaching a class I bet most of her students go WTF since she probably still looks like a student.

Side note - They were just shopping for some stuff. Pf course, Tatenashi whispering random date stuff to Irish made him think otherwise.
Old 2011-12-15, 22:58   Link #13220
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Is Astra Exodus too heavily armed for a test platform?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest