Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2022-06-14, 00:45   Link #121
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I don't really blame him for forgetting stuff since the franchise has been running for decades and a lot of it isn't even his direct responsibility anymore (even better authors like Araki forgets a lot of things with Jojo), but people really do idolize him too much.
Araki forgot just a meme though.
Its result of him double checking with his editors before and after chapter released thus it looks like he "forgot".

Toriyama OTOH seems to be case of author in need of strict editor.
Old 2022-06-14, 01:25   Link #122
Galaxian

Spoiler for Just saying...:
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-14, 07:00   Link #123
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I don't really blame him for forgetting stuff since the franchise has been running for decades and a lot of it isn't even his direct responsibility anymore (even better authors like Araki forgets a lot of things with Jojo), but people really do idolize him too much.

It's not really exclusive to him either. People just tend to credit the single public-facing identity they know and overlook the other collaborators. It happens with games and movies too. Even for the real creative auteurs their works are still a collaborative effort.
Forgetting the title of the series, when he is supposedly working on the manga, is still pretty bad.

The worst part is that when something good happens in Super, Toriyama gets the credit. But if it's something bad, then it's Toyotaro or Toei's fault.
Old 2022-07-15, 09:37   Link #124
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The movie is under-performing compared to the ones that came before it.

Don't know if it's because of the CGI, Gohan and Piccolo being the MCs rather than Goku and Vegeta, or a combination of this plus other factors.
Old 2022-07-15, 12:50   Link #125
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Might be the villain, or lack of publication of the villain.
Old 2022-07-15, 13:19   Link #126
Kazu-kun

It's highly unlikely that there's a single specific factor to blame. This movie had several things against it. The CG, the fact it focused on Gohan who is less popular than Goku in Japan, it also got delayed because of Covid, and the marketing was subpart.
Old 2022-07-15, 17:29   Link #127
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's highly unlikely that there's a single specific factor to blame. This movie had several things against it. The CG, the fact it focused on Gohan who is less popular than Goku in Japan, it also got delayed because of Covid, and the marketing was subpart.
I don't think covid delayed it, but rather that one hack that delayed everything for the studio.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-15, 18:16   Link #128
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yeah, it was the hack that was responsible for the movie being delayed. I doubt it was the biggest factor.
Old 2022-07-16, 01:28   Link #129
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Popularity aside, Gohan have no standard, that's the problem IMO.

When it comes to Goku, you know what to expect because he's been doing that for years. Gohan OTOH, someone naturally stronger than Goku and the one who defeated Cell mostly known for that guy who fighting thugs as masked hero. So the expectation never high to begin; Super itself never truly commit on making him sounds important to have his own movie.

I do like the "Gohan family life feat. Piccolo" format but Gohan need his own "Frieza" to keep both him and audience wary.
As Cell is not into redemption, I hope the staffs bring Bojack to canon like Broly if they wanted to continue the "Gohan protecting earth while Goku is away". He's been acting as "Frieza" for Gohan in SDBH so its already there for rewriting materials.

Old 2022-07-16, 08:28   Link #130
GDB

Isn't "canon Bojack" just the Heeters from the current manga arc?
Old 2022-07-16, 21:44   Link #131
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Isn't "canon Bojack" just the Heeters from the current manga arc?
If Toriyama or Toyotaro confirmed it; the race design indeed similar enough (a group, teal skin, sharp ears, have berserk transformation).
IIRC before their appearance SDBH manga got SSJ2 Gohan killed Bojack. So either reusing design or perhaps there's consideration to bring him into Super through Heeters.
Old 2022-07-16, 22:06   Link #132
Shadow5YA

Please. You think someone who can't even remember the title of the series will remember a movie made decades ago with his involvement?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-17, 00:05   Link #133
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Toyotaro is the one responsible to Heroes and Super manga, he should be aware of design similarities.

Then again, it all depends on how they perceive Super Hero revenue.
If they consider it performed well enough to keep Gohan as side protagonist, not many option for reworked past enemies with ties to him than OG Cell and Bojack.
Or they could go easy way with Android 21 as Super Hero reaffirmed information from DB Kakarot that Red Ribbon survived and rebuilt through its pharmaceutical branch.
Old 2022-07-17, 07:03   Link #134
GDB

They could also, you know, not just retread old villains?

Beerus, Black, and Jiren are like the only "new" villains in all honesty (and two of them became allies afterwards). Frieza is obviously old, Hit was basically Pikkon, Moros is basically a combination of King Piccolo and Cell, Broly is Broly, and the Heeters are Bojack.
Old 2022-07-20, 08:55   Link #135
B214

Well it probably won't change Toei's decision on making another movie or series.
Dragon Ball is arguably one of their most popular series.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-20, 18:55   Link #136
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
Well it probably won't change Toei's decision on making another movie or series.
Dragon Ball is arguably one of their most popular series.
No doubt, but it may affect Gohan and Piccolo's screentimes in future movies.
Old 2022-07-21, 14:38   Link #137
justavisitor

If you told me 3 years ago Gohan would be the main character in a movie and have obtained a new form, I would have said you were dreaming...I don't really care does the movie sell or how it affects gohan and piccolo's screen times in the future, I am just enjoying this moment XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-21, 20:58   Link #138
B214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
No doubt, but it may affect Gohan and Piccolo's screentimes in future movies.
Well their screen time is pretty much non existent. This feels more like they want to make a movie to show in between of Super and the Uub Saga. I'm not going to bother calling it peaceful anymore cuz there's nothing peaceful going on with Super....
Old 2022-07-23, 06:52   Link #139
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
If you told me 3 years ago Gohan would be the main character in a movie and have obtained a new form, I would have said you were dreaming...I don't really care does the movie sell or how it affects gohan and piccolo's screen times in the future, I am just enjoying this moment XD
Yeah, I guess we should be happy we got a whole movie dedicated to them. It certainly didn't feel like that would ever happen.
Old 2022-07-29, 20:02   Link #140
B214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, I guess we should be happy we got a whole movie dedicated to them. It certainly didn't feel like that would ever happen.
They probably wanted to do a change of feel. Dragon Ball has quite a number of characters, and the TOP did gave them a bit of spotlight in the anime. Like Master/Muten Roshi who many would think isn't able to keep up anymore.

That said, Japan's covid cases has been increasing till about 200k cases daily now, so it did probably affect the movie's profit. Even without covid, i won't go out to watch any movie if i'm having a fever.