AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-13, 20:21   Link #1381
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
If they were trying to hide Mario's name, they would have labelled him as "Boy with apple" or something like that. But given Ikuhara's penchant for misdirection, I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.
I thought you have to state the voice actor role in the credit as a part of airing process?
I means can director misuse it for their advantage?

New Theory:
The earthquake in 1995 killed both Momoka and Mario. These two met in the broiler room and share their fate apple, and is reborn as Himari and her fated person(Character X). That makes Natsume quite similar to Ringo....

Then later on, we will have a dramatic moment. Natsume: *point gun*"you prevented me to resurrect my brother" Character X : "No, i'm your brother, come to the Penguinxxxxx side"
Old 2011-09-13, 20:32   Link #1382
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I thought you have to state the voice actor role in the credit as a part of airing process?
Yeah, I don't think they can mess with the credits (though I'm not sure). But it's true that if Ikuhara didn't want to reveal his name he could have credited him as "fated one" or "apple boy" or whatever. As long as "role + VA" is indicated in the credits it's ok I think.
Old 2011-09-13, 21:11   Link #1383
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

New Theory:
The earthquake in 1995 killed both Momoka and Mario. These two met in the broiler room and share their fate apple, and is reborn as Himari and her fated person(Character X). That makes Natsume quite similar to Ringo....

Then later on, we will have a dramatic moment. Natsume: *point gun*"you prevented me to resurrect my brother" Character X : "No, i'm your brother, come to the Penguinxxxxx side"
Lulz. What if Ringo is the reborn version of Mario while Himari's the reborn version of Momoka? Would be all sorts of fun
Old 2011-09-13, 21:16   Link #1384
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Lulz. What if Ringo is the reborn version of Mario while Himari's the reborn version of Momoka? Would be all sorts of fun
That would be all sorts of fun.

Ringo's position in particular would be absolutely mind-blowing, lol.

She's trying to become her sister, when she's fated to be with the reincarnation of her sister, who just happens to be her new best platonic friend and the Penguin Queen.

Edit: By the way, according to Wiki, Ringo was born on the day of the Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway. Not sure what importance there is to it, but it might be of some importance.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:10   Link #1385
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
夏芽 真砂子, Natsume Masako

夏芽 マリオ, Natsume Mario
Thanks! Ok, so they're probably related.
I just realized that Mario is such a weird name. I mean, it's not even a proper Japanese name, is it? It's more like a Latin-American one. I think all the other characters have Japanese names, so Mario kinda stands out. There might be something there.... or not.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:39   Link #1386
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I just realized that Mario is such a weird name. I mean, it's not even a proper Japanese name, is it? It's more like a Latin-American one. I think all the other characters have Japanese names, so Mario kinda stands out. There might be something there.... or not.
Is Ringo a normal Japanese name?

I mean, the only time I can recall hearing that name before, it was referring to a drummer that's even more famous than K-On's Ritsu...

Edit: Mario is a somewhat common name in Quebec, Canada (Mario Lemieux, Mario LeBlanc, Mario Roberge, Mario Tremblay, etc...). It's both French and Italian. Never thought it was also Japanese, though.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:00   Link #1387
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Is Ringo a normal Japanese name?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Edit: Mario is a somewhat common name in Quebec, Canada (Mario Lemieux, Mario LeBlanc, Mario Roberge, Mario Tremblay, etc...). It's both French and Italian. Never thought it was also Japanese, though.
As far as I know it isn't (plus it's written in katakana). That's why I thought it was weird, since all the other characters (including Masako) have Japanese names.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:13   Link #1388
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Yes it is.

As far as I know it isn't (plus it's written in katakana). That's why I thought it was weird, since all the other characters (including Masako) have Japanese names.
I would say that maybe Mario had an eccentric father similar to "Battler's" grandfather in Umineko. Someone who for whatever reason wanted to give his Japanese children European names. But then, Masako is a normal Japanese name.

Maybe Mario and Masako are half-Japanese/half-Italian? Or half-Japanese/half-French? One parent being full-Japanese and the other full-Italian or full-French. So they compromised by giving one child a Japanese name, and the other a French/Italian name.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:25   Link #1389
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
That would be all sorts of fun.

Ringo's position in particular would be absolutely mind-blowing, lol.

She's trying to become her sister, when she's fated to be with the reincarnation of her sister, who just happens to be her new best platonic friend and the Penguin Queen.
Wow, that means the line when Ringo said that she has to becomes one with Momoka is less tragic now and rather romantic....

Anyway, back to speculation. I think it's true that Ringo is born the same day Momoka died, the 20th March, which is also the day of the Sarin attack.

However, it's possible that Ikuhara is messing up with our head here. Momoka seems to die in 1994, one year before the attack and possibly Ringo birth(1995). Because during the flashback of ep 6 (the calender said it's 1999), Ringo's father mentioned how they agreed 5 years ago that they would pour their love (toward Momoka) into Ringo. So it's possible that the sarin attack is just Ikuhara's diversion, because even when it's famous, Tokyo's sarin attacks only killed 13 people, and it would be bold of Ikuhara to include Momoka into that short well-known list
Old 2011-09-13, 23:26   Link #1390
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Maybe Mario and Masako are half-Japanese/half-Italian? Or half-Japanese/half-French? One parent being full-Japanese and the other full-Italian or full-French. So they compromised by giving one child a Japanese name, and the other a French/Italian name.
Maybe Mario is an illegitimate child. The product of one of his father's "adventures" in France/Italy.
Old 2011-09-14, 15:46   Link #1391
Oxides
dhvafblsdki

Been lurking on this thread since the start of PenguinDrum mostly for any little details pointed out that I might have missed.

Spoiler for Episode 9 and two other episode Cast Lists:

I recommend reading SparkNotes analysis after reading SuperFrog Saves Tokyo. I think it gives more meaning to PenguinDrum [and Utena] than just superficial connections. I love these stories that aren't just taken at plot face-value, which leads me to...

Spoiler for Utena:
Old 2011-09-14, 15:57   Link #1392
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Mario huh? So is it like Super Mario Brothers with Kanba and Shouma being Mario and Luigi? :S

Nah, that would be too insane even for this...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-14, 16:31   Link #1393
Kazu-kun

Here's a Mario fanart I found. It's the only one right now, I think.
Spoiler for image:
Old 2011-09-15, 12:40   Link #1394
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Episode 10... Holy shit.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:47   Link #1395
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I will evacuate myself from this thread until i have time to watch ep 10 then.....
Old 2011-09-15, 12:53   Link #1396
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Episode 10... Holy shit.
Because of the shitty quality you mean?

Seriously, they must have used all their budget in episode 9 because this episode looked horrible.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:53   Link #1397
gumi

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2011-09-15, 12:56   Link #1398
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Because of the shitty quality you mean?

Seriously, they must have used all their budget in episode 9 because this episode looked horrible.
Who cares?

Spoiler for ep10:
Old 2011-09-15, 12:59   Link #1399
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Who cares?

Spoiler for ep10:
I care!! Besides, there was a lot of nonsensical shit going on in this episode...
Spoiler:
Old 2011-09-15, 13:02   Link #1400
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I care!! Besides, there was a lot of nonsensical shit going on in this episode...
But there's nonsensical shit in EVERY episode. Just look at the stuff the penguins do.

Spoiler for ep10:
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism