AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-29, 03:34   Link #1401
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, yeah -- this is not by any stretch of the imagination a mainstream movie or a mainstream movie release, nor does it have anything near a mainstream movie budget. It's only playing in around 30 theatres, where as more major productions can play in hundreds of Japanese theatres (and when you're talking about the major blockbusters, thousands of theatres worldwide). Anime aimed at young adults is an extremely niche market in Japan; it's not ever going to compete with mainstream stuff.
And that doesn't even take into consideration that movies in Japan in general just don't make anywhere near what they make in North America. Avatar has made $160M in 13 weeks in Japan. In Japanese terms this is a monstrous amount, probably top 10 all-time.

In North America, Avatar made that in it's first week, and another $580M since then. $160M doesn't even get it in the top 150 all-time. It's just a wildly different market, in multiple ways.

Haruhi's ~7M so far is very respectable, all things considered. The makers will get most their money on DVD/BD sales and licensing, anyway.
Old 2010-03-29, 04:46   Link #1402
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

And the merch, and the toys, and the food, and whatever else Japanese marketers can make otakus lap up...which is practically anything. XD
Old 2010-03-29, 17:35   Link #1403
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Haruhi's ~7M so far is very respectable, all things considered. The makers will get most their money on DVD/BD sales and licensing, anyway.
It may be a respectable amount but we can probably divide the ticket sales in 3 to get the actual total number of unique viewers. Kadokawa is really pushing the "See it again, and again, and again, and again" angle.
Old 2010-03-30, 20:39   Link #1404
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Box Office Mojo update:

Haruhi placed 14th (up one from last week). This weekend earned $148,987 USD (13,776,828 yen) and total earnings rose to $7,479,561 USD (691,635,006 yen). Almost at the 700 million yen mark!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-03-31, 00:25   Link #1405
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Box Office Mojo update:

Haruhi placed 14th (up one from last week). This weekend earned $148,987 USD (13,776,828 yen) and total earnings rose to $7,479,561 USD (691,635,006 yen). Almost at the 700 million yen mark!
I read too quickly and was about to correct you in that it already passed $7mil last week, but then I realized you put 7 hundred mil, and then I realized you put yen.

So...uh...carry on...
Old 2010-04-04, 16:07   Link #1406
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
There were some updates on Friday while I was on vacation this weekend, so here's an updated list of the theatres showing the Haruhi movie and their current status as of Friday. Google Documents is not wanting to have my spreadsheet uploaded, so I shall attempt that again tomorrow for a list I shall update easier.

Theatre/ Status
United Cinema Sapporo/Still Showing
Forum Sendai/Still Showing
Cinema Sunshine Ikebukuro/Still Showing
Wald9/Still Showing
United Cinema Toyosu/Still Showing
Tachikawa Cinema Two/Ended 19-Mar
Warner Mycal Cinemas Minato Mirai /Still Showing
Cinecitta Kawasaki/Still Showing
TOHO Cinemas Ebina/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Hiratsuka/Still Showing (Ends 9-Apr)
Keisei Kog/Still Showing
TOHO Cinemas Ichikawa Colton Plaza/Still Showing
Movix Saitama/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Wakaba/Still Showing (Ends 9-Apr)
Kadokawa Cineplex Tsukuba/Still Showing (Ends 9-Apr)
Movix Utsunomiya/Still Showing
Movix Isesaki/Still Showing
Century Cinema/Ended 19-Mar
109 Cinemas Nagoya/Still Showing
Burg 7/Still Showing
Nanba Parks Cinema/Still Showing
Kobe Shochiku/Still Showing
Kyoto Cinemas/Still Showing (speculation of ending 23-Apr)
United Cinemas Canal City/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Mito/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Okazaki/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Hirakata/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Kokura/Still Showing
Kadokawa Cineplex Kumamoto/Still Showing
Tachikawa Cinema City/Ended 2-Apr
United Cinemas Kanazawa/Still Showing
Tomiyama Daitokai/Waiting (10-Apr)
Fukai Cinemas/Waiting (24-Apr)
Cinema Sunshine Kinuyama/Waiting (Golden Week)
Bunkahonopo Cinema/Waiting (1-May)
Nagano Rogishi/Waiting (1-May)
CinemadictWaiting (8-May)
Kadokawa Cineplex Niza/Waiting (8-May)
Kadokawa Cineplex Satte/Waiting (8-May)
United Cinemas Niigata/Waiting (8-May)
Kadokawa Cineplex Asahikawa/Waiting (15-May)
Sakura Zaka/Waiting (22-May)
Akita LumiereWaiting (5-Jun)
Forum Hachito/Waiting
Forum Morioka/Waiting
Forum Yamagata/Waiting
Forum Fukushima/Waiting
Kadokawa Cineplex Makuhari/Waiting
Warner Mycal Cinemas Gifu/Waiting
Warner Mycal Cinemas Suzuka Bell City/Waiting
Warner Mycal Cinemas Kusatsu/Waiting
Merpa/Waiting
Warner Mycal Cinemas Hofu/Waiting
Warner Mycal Cinemas Kagawa/Waiting
Cinema Sunshine Kitaijima/Waiting
T Joy Parks Place Daifu/Waiting
Kagoshima Mitte 10/Waiting

Old 2010-04-05, 08:47   Link #1407
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Strangely enough, I feel no rabid desire to immediately watch the movie, camrip or otherwise (Blasphemy!). Ah wells, August it is then! I'll probably put the DVD on re-run after my exams and start an Endless Disappearance screening where I'll cry my eyes out

Question for Koizumi-megax! With all the information you've been getting, have you actually went to watch the movie already? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up...

Another one; on the list you complied, when it says 'Waiting', does it mean waiting for information to be updated, or waiting for the movie to start screening in those theatres? Looks like the movie end date in theatres might even hit June.
Old 2010-04-05, 09:02   Link #1408
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Strangely enough, I feel no rabid desire to immediately watch the movie, camrip or otherwise (Blasphemy!). Ah wells, August it is then! I'll probably put the DVD on re-run after my exams and start an Endless Disappearance screening where I'll cry my eyes out

Question for Koizumi-megax! With all the information you've been getting, have you actually went to watch the movie already? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up...

Another one; on the list you complied, when it says 'Waiting', does it mean waiting for information to be updated, or waiting for the movie to start screening in those theatres? Looks like the movie end date in theatres might even hit June.
I was working on plans for a trip to Japan in June, but my traveling partner cannot make the trip so I will not be able to see it in theatres like I had wanted to. I'm now waiting for the BD/DVD release, which hasn't been given a date yet, to see the movie in great quality.

The "waiting" term means that the theatre has not began showing it. For the theatres that have stated their start date, I put that in parenthesis beside it.

Old 2010-04-07, 08:07   Link #1409
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Box Office Mojo updated their weekly earnings for Japan earlier today. Haruhi is not listed in this week's update. I can think of two possibilities for this: 1. It earned less than $4,722 over the weekend or 2. The earnings were not reported for some reason this week. I'll keep checking to see if there is anyone else that reports the weekend earnings.

Old 2010-04-07, 11:59   Link #1410
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Box Office Mojo updated their weekly earnings for Japan earlier today. Haruhi is not listed in this week's update. I can think of two possibilities for this: 1. It earned less than $4,722 over the weekend or 2. The earnings were not reported for some reason this week. I'll keep checking to see if there is anyone else that reports the weekend earnings.
Most certainly the latter. Sometimes the studio stops reporting earnings after they fall below a certain point, or after a certain amount of time. For it to have made less than $4,722 over the weekend, assuming the same number of theaters, it would have had to average under $200 a theater, which at 12-15 showings per weekend means fewer than two patrons per showing, after it had made well over 25 times that the weekend before.

My guess is, assuming the same number of theaters as last week, no less than $100,000. Or maybe just less than $100,000, with that being Kadokawa's reporting cutoff...
Old 2010-04-07, 12:13   Link #1411
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Most certainly the latter. Sometimes the studio stops reporting earnings after they fall below a certain point, or after a certain amount of time. For it to have made less than $4,722 over the weekend, assuming the same number of theaters, it would have had to average under $200 a theater, which at 12-15 showings per weekend means fewer than two patrons per showing, after it had made well over 25 times that the weekend before.

My guess is, assuming the same number of theaters as last week, no less than $100,000. Or maybe just less than $100,000, with that being Kadokawa's reporting cutoff...
It could also be the fact that it's been 8 weeks since the movie's been out and two months were the cutoff point. If the per-theatre rate dropped $500 like it did over the previous week, it'd still be around $125,000 for the weekend. I didn't believe the movie made less than $4,722 since the number of theatres only dropped by 1 and we'd be seeing a lot more theatres drop it if it was showing that poorly, but that possibility still exists until proven otherwise.

Edit: Finally made a spreadsheet that I'll do my best to keep updated with current theatres that are listed for showing or have shown the movie. It's here for those wanting to know when the movie's being shown at a place or when it'll end.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-04-07 at 15:48.
Old 2010-04-09, 10:58   Link #1412
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Cinema update!

There are 26 theatres still showing the movie as of 4/10/2010. 4 theatres stopped on the 9th and one started today (Daitokai). I've updated my list of theatres here for those still planning to travel. There are starting dates for theatres until 6/5/2010, so the movie will still be in theatres until that weekend at the very least.

We're up to 62 theatres that plan to or have shown the Haruhi movie.

Old 2010-04-14, 13:08   Link #1413
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Okay, you'll notice that a lot of posts are gone, which is because I created the "Impressions & Reviews" thread and moved a lot of posts to that thread. There is also a poll over there now. Please read the opening post for important information about spoilers in that thread.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:09   Link #1414
bayoab

And we got the announcement already:
http://asosbrigade.com/
Old 2010-04-15, 04:21   Link #1415
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
So movie will premiere on 5/21 at Viz Theater, huh? Anyone here in or plan to go to San Fransisco?
Old 2010-04-15, 11:39   Link #1416
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

You guys getting the movie screened over in the US? Lucky people

Local film distributor basically just shrugged off my e-mail...
Old 2010-04-15, 11:57   Link #1417
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

According to ANN, Bandai has licensed it and will also be having a theatrical run in Hawaii in June, and will release a DVD "at a later date". BluRay for me, plz?

Can it come over here? Anywhere within four hours of DC? Please? I'd like to see it in theaters.
Old 2010-04-15, 13:04   Link #1418
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
So movie will premiere on 5/21 at Viz Theater, huh? Anyone here in or plan to go to San Fransisco?
Holy crap, r u srs!!!!! Well, no crappy camrips for me, then.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-04-15, 13:09   Link #1419
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Ironically, I was in the process of planning a trip that would have me there two weeks later. Let's just move the departure time up about two weeks.

Old 2010-04-15, 13:32   Link #1420
baltakatei

Quote:
I'll be there. Definitely.

Tags
science fiction, shounen