AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Old 2014-03-19, 20:59   Link #1421
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

No. Why is this delayed????
Old 2014-03-19, 21:24   Link #1422
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
No. Why is this delayed????
Because Aniplex USA's translator can't meet deadlines?
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 09:20   Link #1423
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Because Aniplex USA's translator can't meet deadlines?
How about because Trigger can't meet deadlines? That's just as plausible.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 09:35   Link #1424
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I've understood it's that they want to prevent leaks. But there are many theories floating around, so anything goes, really.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 11:40   Link #1425
Gravitas Free Zone

I don't see how delaying the English (but letting through the subs for several other languages) actually prevents leaks, while also screwing with the streaming business model by causing people to seek out fansubs, which come out anyway.

Unless they think the English translator is doing the leaking, in which case sack the guy.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 11:49   Link #1426
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How about because Trigger can't meet deadlines? That's just as plausible.
Not really, since other simulcasters always release on time (delayed only by 1 hour at most). The problem is definitely on the English side's end.

Edit: Damn, I spoke too soon. Wakanim said they didn't receive the episode on time this week. They received Samurai Flamenco late as well, but it came out on time on CR... I don't know how it works.

Last edited by Kanon; 2014-03-20 at 13:57.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 16:21   Link #1427
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Production delays are always more likely toward the end of a series (since, unless you're South Park, it takes more than a week to make an episode), but it has definitely been an English version issue most the time. The other languages are up as we speak on Daisuke.net, so there's clearly still an English issue this week as well.
Old 2014-03-21, 04:20   Link #1428
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Edit: Damn, I spoke too soon. Wakanim said they didn't receive the episode on time this week. They received Samurai Flamenco late as well, but it came out on time on CR... I don't know how it works.
Last time I asked them, Wakanim told that they get their KlK from CR. Not sure whether they only get the English subs or also the raw+script for... what do they do overseas? French subs?

Old 2014-03-21, 10:00   Link #1429
Romanticide

does anyone know if the thing about the bd ep2 commentary is true? i haven't found any source but that single screenshot, not even the actual commentary.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 10:42   Link #1430
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Last time I asked them, Wakanim told that they get their KlK from CR. Not sure whether they only get the English subs or also the raw+script for... what do they do overseas? French subs?
Yes, they do French simulcasts (they're a French company), and this past 6 weeks or so, they've always released long before CR. This was the first time their subs for Kill la Kill were delayed for 10+ hours as well.

I don't know how the UK Wakanim works. They probably have a partnership with CR.
Old 2014-03-21, 10:49   Link #1431
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't know how the UK Wakanim works. They probably have a partnership with CR.
They work like "Oh, you have a Crunchyroll subscription? LET US BUY THE LICENSING RIGHTS FOR THE SEASON'S BEST SHOWS SO THAT YOU NEED TO PAY US AS WELL IF YOU WANT TO WATCH ANYTHING BUT THE LAST EPISODE THAT ANYWAY WE GET FROM CRUNCHYROLL AND IS EXACTLY THE SAME PRODUCT". Free market my ass. The market would be free if multiple sites could air the same shows and I could get to choose the one that I like more/offers me the best price.

Old 2014-03-21, 10:52   Link #1432
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Also a satire on recap episodes.

Done at high speed.
Old 2014-03-22, 12:03   Link #1433
BadtheGuy

Nearing the end, this show was definitely overhyped. Not that it wasn't fun, but the way it was touted as revolutionary and an instant classic was too much.

That said, I wish more shows actually tried to make strong heroines without reinforcing the unrealistic idea that 90 pound girls can body the average man. Super powers or not, I cringe.
BadtheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 12:47   Link #1434
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It only took me twenty-three episodes, but I finally saw the Final Fantasy VII references in this show. See "Mako" and "Shinra" for details if you need them. In FFVII, "Mako" is the planet's life force, an appropriate moniker for the hyperactive girl in Kill la Kill. Shinra, like REVOCS, exploits their control over a key technology, energy in this case, to become a dangerous and repressive force.

I've browsed a bit to see what both words might mean in Japanese. "Shinra" is translated as "sylvan" in this article about the Yu-Gi-Oh! card of the same name. The initial character in 森羅万象, or shinrabanshō, mentioned in that article translates to "forest." However "shinra" itself, 森羅, is untranslatable at Google. They suggest Chinese as an alternative which returns "the flowers." Flowers or trees, Ragyo is now apparently wrapped in nature itself.

Google translates Mako's full name, 満艦飾 マコ Mankanshoku Mako, as "Rainbow dress Mako." Hmm. I thought only Ragyo was permitted to be the rainbow girl. Final opponents perhaps, with Ryuuko and Satsuki looking on in wonderment? Once again "mako" itself, マコ, is untranslatable.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 14:15   Link #1435
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadtheGuy View Post
That said, I wish more shows actually tried to make strong heroines without reinforcing the unrealistic idea that 90 pound girls can body the average man. Super powers or not, I cringe.
Well, it's true that "strong heroine" shouldn't mean only physically strong. But honestly, "super powers or not" is nonsense here - if a girl with super powers was still jobbed by a normal man, now THAT would be absurd. Hell, I'm pretty sure a girl who knew some martial arts could hand me a smackdown without many problems. Strength isn't the end-all in fights.
And on the other hand, with Fiber Synchronize Ryuko is super-strong, has a skin as hard as steel and regenerative powers. Ragyo has shown to be even more powerful. Nui is around the same level. How exactly should being a man or a woman make any difference against such superhuman beings?

Old 2014-03-22, 19:28   Link #1436
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

There are very lethal women in the world. Obviously their values are usually focused on skill and speed rather than strenght. The most kickass "realistic" action heroines i saw are hypercompetent gunslingers. Skilled assasins and such. Ya'know taking advantage of any weakness on their opponents and always aiming to vital areas for critical damage.

It can also be observed between the Destiny Sisters. Satsuki employs not only skill in combat but also psychological warfare as well. She manipuylates opponents she knows are too much for her to take head-on. Ryuuko on the other hand has been exploiting her endless physical potential almost the entire series and while she takes horrible beatings she quickly adapts and is able to deliver brutal beatdowns to almost any opponent regardless of gender.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 03:01   Link #1437
EroBotan
Nasty Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadtheGuy View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people will cringe if they implement your idea.

When it comes to business, the company tend to favor majority's taste most of the time because not many of them dare to bet their fate on niche market (in this case, muscle woman fans). If things goes wrong they might go bankrupt.
Old 2014-03-23, 09:36   Link #1438
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroBotan View Post
When it comes to business, the company tend to favor majority's taste most of the time because not many of them dare to bet their fate on niche market (in this case, muscle woman fans). If things goes wrong they might go bankrupt.
A common argument about this is that making a woman a female version of the Hulk (and hey, it even happened literally) is the quickest, less creative way to make a strong heroine and thus fulfil the required "quota" of strong female characters to appease all fans and not make the show look like it's a sausagefest. On the other hand, one might look at a very good show like FMA and see multiple kinds of strong women - Riza Hawkeye (skilled sniper), Lan Fan (martial arts/ninjutsu), Izumi Curtis (physical strength and alchemy), Oliver Milla Armstrong (charisma and military competence). However, I'd say that in shows that are action in nature, the trend is either to make the protagonist a male, or a female but exploit her for the sexiness - since these shows are perceived as targeted to men.

Kill la Kill come closer to the second type rather than the first, though its characters are defined enough to appeal to men and women alike beyond their appearance. Satsuki especially. But I also think the strong women in Kill la Kill have different ways to be strong - the most important examples being Ryuko, Satsuki and Mako, the first powered by pure brawns, the second a cold, charismatic, smart strategist, the third a brainless bunch of vitality and heart able to overcome all odds and carry on just by sheer willpower. Yes, Ryuko is way stronger than you'd expect any woman to be - but then again, she's way stronger than you'd expect any man to be as well. Which is understandable as she isn't even human. So this criticism really doesn't apply.

Old 2014-03-23, 09:44   Link #1439
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Google translates Mako's full name, 満艦飾 マコ Mankanshoku Mako, as "Rainbow dress Mako." Hmm. I thought only Ragyo was permitted to be the rainbow girl. Final opponents perhaps, with Ryuuko and Satsuki looking on in wonderment? Once again "mako" itself, マコ, is untranslatable.
Funny it should say that, because 満艦飾 literally means "dressed in fancy clothes".

(Heheh, it's funny cuz she's poor.)

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 14:31   Link #1440
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
They work like "Oh, you have a Crunchyroll subscription? LET US BUY THE LICENSING RIGHTS FOR THE SEASON'S BEST SHOWS SO THAT YOU NEED TO PAY US AS WELL IF YOU WANT TO WATCH ANYTHING BUT THE LAST EPISODE THAT ANYWAY WE GET FROM CRUNCHYROLL AND IS EXACTLY THE SAME PRODUCT". Free market my ass. The market would be free if multiple sites could air the same shows and I could get to choose the one that I like more/offers me the best price.
Free market means that Aniplex can do whatever they want with the show they made.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aniplex, comedy, fanservice, high school, imaishi, trigger