AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-07-23, 08:50   Link #141
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I can see storage mediums like this pretty little offering from WD becoming more common over the next couple years, as harddrive prices continue to plummet (particularly as magnetics strive to complete with SSDs as they mature).
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 10:41   Link #142
stubby42

I have a couple of terrabyte hard drives so I tend to keep them, to be honest I dont download a vast amount of series anyway so I might as well keep the ones that I do.

Plus I like the idea of being able to watch them on demand.

Right now I'm itching to re start clannad (season 1) but I didnt download it, I just streamed it and I'm having trouble finding torrents for it so thats extremely frustrating.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 11:10   Link #143
neomanxl
Sucker for moe ~_~

Send a message via AIM to neomanxl
ehh right now I haven't had a problem with space so I've just been keeping them on my external HD. I'm probably going to have to buy a new one soon though. This summer has been an animefest =P
neomanxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 13:19   Link #144
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just make sure you burn them at the slowest speed, verify the burn, and try to choose higher quality disks. Then store them in cool dark places.
Yep, of course I do keep the images of any DVD I make on my hard drive. It's just a lot more personal when you have a nice specific "object" for series that you like.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 22:07   Link #145
npcomplete

Just got this hotswap case from Newegg and 20 x 1.5TB HDs for storage (plus a separate HD for OS)
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 04:12   Link #146
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
I'm a messie level 2 so I can't delete them. I keep everything I'm attached to at least a little XD
I normally burn them, but lately I just keep them on my external HD. I just want to have the chance to watch them again in good quality whenever I want.
But I gotta say .. to buy a season takes up the most space <.< They always only press 3 - 4 episodes on one disc, without much extras.

I do tend to lend my burned DVDs to friends. A lot have yet to return to me xD Also they get damaged easily what frustrates me.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 04:22   Link #147
Demoned Away

Depending on the series I normally keep them on my computer. If it's something I really, really like I'll keep it until I can purchase the DVDs and/or the Visual Novels that go along with the series .

I have a friend who doesn't have the greatest internet connection so I always try to keep my stuff long enough to see if he's interested in watching it. I also download Bleach and Naruto for him but I usually delete them as soon as we put them on his flash drive...
Demoned Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 08:07   Link #148
Echoes

I wish I had enough room to keep everything I download and watch, but alas, I am a poor person, so I cannot. I keep what I enjoy most, and hopefully at some point in the future I'll be able to just buy external harddrives and store everything there.
Old 2009-07-26, 06:40   Link #149
blewin

I just burn them onto DVD once a series' completed. Can't keep them on the harddrive forever, not enough space.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 07:35   Link #150
stubby42

I'll never understand when people say I cant keep them on a hard drive forever, in the past yeah it made sense because space was limited and a hard drive was expensive but you can pick up an 1 tb external hard drive for $100, next year it will cost you $50 for 1 tb.

I mean sure its not as neat as having it in built into you computer but for the amount of films you'll have in that little box compared to how many dvds your buying and burning its worth it.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 09:09   Link #151
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
you can pick up an 1 tb external hard drive for $100, next year it will cost you $50 for 1 tb.
Yes, but next year the standard size for an anime episode will be at 700-800 MB.
Old 2009-07-26, 11:29   Link #152
miscs
Flying Dumb-ass

Bandwidth costs money and is limited, so I keep my anime stored on my hard drive.
miscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 11:36   Link #153
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
For the more memorable ones, I tend to keep and archive them. For the average or below shows, I delete after watching.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 23:49   Link #154
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
I'll never understand when people say I cant keep them on a hard drive forever, in the past yeah it made sense because space was limited and a hard drive was expensive but you can pick up an 1 tb external hard drive for $100, next year it will cost you $50 for 1 tb.

I mean sure its not as neat as having it in built into you computer but for the amount of films you'll have in that little box compared to how many dvds your buying and burning its worth it.
well, one other reason for burning on DVDs is that you can tell from the DVD cover what animes are in which DVD, whereas with a harddrive, you kind of have to open it to see what's on it... unless you're diligent enough to keep a list somewhere.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 04:39   Link #155
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
well, one other reason for burning on DVDs is that you can tell from the DVD cover what animes are in which DVD, whereas with a harddrive, you kind of have to open it to see what's on it... unless you're diligent enough to keep a list somewhere.
Diligent? Naa, not really. To keep such a list up to date I just have to type something like
Code:
ll -R /media/data1 > ~/Animedirs/dirtree_HD[N]
every time I write something on my HD #N.

And even if I were so lazy to not update for half a year it would still be the same line. Now the unlabeled DVDs on the other hand would soon be piling up on my desk.
Old 2009-07-28, 06:15   Link #156
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Opening an external HDD takes like what, 5 seconds?

For people with more than one external HDD they could sort them in a logical way so that they will always find what they need, like #-M on HDD1 and N-Z on HDD2. (or whatever way is more convenient for him/her).

I dont really see the problem.

Oh, I keep everything.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 01:49   Link #157
Plasma.

I only started watching anime on the computer recently, so i haven't watched too much yet. Until last month i didn't even download because my harddrive was so small. Then I bought a laptop with 320 gigs and im keeping all the anime i've downloaded from then on.

Im at about 50 gigs of anime right now, so it won't be long before i run out of space.
Plasma. is offline   Reply With Quote