Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-19, 10:55   Link #141
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

I'd say watch each group's and decide for yourself. Each one has their own style on how they subtitle the show. That way you'll pick the one that agrees with your tastes.
Old 2009-04-19, 11:18   Link #142
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku

I just watch the shiki subs and I think it's great if you don't mind the large filesize.

My thought on ep2, I find the character interactions to be cute. Nothing much happen, tho'.
plzd0ntkeelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 12:57   Link #143
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by topboy View Post
which one is best? watch only ep1 from jade so far and it seem to be good one.
Depends what you want in a sub. shiki-subs doesn't do the OP/ED Karaoke's or the next episode preview (at least they didn't in the version of Ep1 I have), but they do outdo all the other groups in terms of speed.

Personally I like MJN a little bit more than Jade, but it's only for choice of words on the translation.
Old 2009-04-19, 13:02   Link #144
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Just watched the second episode by Shiki-Subs, and they are pretty good. My only observation would be that the translation in few areas seem to veer off slightly from the intended meaning of a sentence. For example:

At 3:35: "Hey come along with me for once" - I thought it should have read something along the line of, "Come over here. I'll introduce you to some of my fans."

At 3:44 "I'm not going with you." I thought it would read better if, "don't put me up there with you." or something along the line that would indicate Aoh is telling Senda not to put him in the same league as Senda himself.

There are few more, but mostly those are as minor as the two example above where the intended meaning can be brought out just by adding one or two keywords here and there. Mind you, I'm far.. far from being a literate in Japanese, so take the above observation with a grain of salt.

I am so addicted to the song, Summer Rain. It's easily one of the top songs in OP/ED themes amassed in the Spring 2009 shows'. Just loved their interaction, Koh and Aoh. I was seriously concerned for any residual emotional affect that may have lingered on in light of the previous episode in mind. So was relieved to see the concept of time-heals-all in good use in episode 2. I also love the use of subtlety the show uses, and how easily it avoids the stereotypes that are so adamant in today's shows. When Waka says to Aoh that she can't have Koh, your typical series would have the character (voiced by Kugimiya Rie ) either vehemently denying or blushing crimson. Here, Aoh is introspective of what just has been said. I loved it.

Will be eagerly looking forward to episode 3. The episode has strengthen my belief that it will be able to come out of the land of mediocrity and with consistency to boot with. We shall see.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 14:32   Link #145
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Just watched the second episode by Shiki-Subs, and they are pretty good. My only observation would be that the translation in few areas seem to veer off slightly from the intended meaning of a sentence. For example:

At 3:35: "Hey come along with me for once" - I thought it should have read something along the line of, "Come over here. I'll introduce you to some of my fans."

At 3:44 "I'm not going with you." I thought it would read better if, "don't put me up there with you." or something along the line that would indicate Aoh is telling Senda not to put him in the same league as Senda himself.

There are few more, but mostly those are as minor as the two example above where the intended meaning can be brought out just by adding one or two keywords here and there. Mind you, I'm far.. far from being a literate in Japanese, so take the above observation with a grain of salt.

I am so addicted to the song, Summer Rain. It's easily one of the top songs in OP/ED themes amassed in the Spring 2009 shows'. Just loved their interaction, Koh and Aoh. I was seriously concerned for any residual emotional affect that may have lingered on in light of the previous episode in mind. So was relieved to see the concept of time-heals-all in good use in episode 2. I also love the use of subtlety the show uses, and how easily it avoids the stereotypes that are so adamant in today's shows. When Waka says to Aoh that she can't have Koh, your typical series would have the character (voiced by Kugimiya Rie ) either vehemently denying or blushing crimson. Here, Aoh is introspective of what just has been said. I loved it.

Will be eagerly looking forward to episode 3. The episode has strengthen my belief that it will be able to come out of the land of mediocrity and with consistency to boot with. We shall see.
That is a common phrase and it is a shame for them to translate it wrong. You are correct, basically he is saying "Don't put me in the same league as you" or basically saying "I am not like you". I can understand why they got it wrong. the translator probably didn't convey the meaning well to the editor(the editor job is to take the translator words and put them into English that make sense)
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 14:52   Link #146
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post

(Self-plug) Please give ours a shot. I think you'll like it.
Old 2009-04-19, 21:42   Link #147
typhonsentra

This show has a nice flow to it. I like that they don't obsess over the death but don't ignore it either.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 23:18   Link #148
Jin and Toanic
Vide supra
*Fansubber

I wouldn't touch Jade's releases, considering their snafus with the first episode. Central Anime has done a good job, however.
Jin and Toanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 02:59   Link #149
Solecs

I thought Jade's release was pretty good of the episodes I've seen. Didn't care for shiki myself for one reason or another. Watched Central Anime's ep 2 and the audio didn't sound right to me, like it had been compressed too much or something. Also some of their phrasing felt odd, but that's probably just because I'm used to the way they phrase things in the manga translations. Otherwise I thought it was well done.

ANBU also just released their version of ep 1, and I'm going to check them out. I've always thought they do quality work .
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 03:06   Link #150
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm quite impressed with the groups taking on this series. It should suggest the excellence of the source material as well: Central Anime (of LoGH), MJN (of Major and Hiatari Ryoukou [please finish that]), and ANBU (of Sunred!). Quite a likable group of subbers we have.

I've watched Shiki-subs - I don't have consistent internet, and barring a few grammatical errors (lack of apostrophes and whatnot), it was a pretty good, but more importantly, fast translation. I'll probably keep on watching them.

The first episode was beautiful and emotional. If there's a shounen writer capable of depth and perception, it's Mitsuru Adachi. His works practically revolve around baseball, but they're all very well-made.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 03:09   Link #151
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I'm quite impressed with the groups taking on this series. It should suggest the excellence of the source material as well: Central Anime (of LoGH), MJN (of Major and Hiatari Ryoukou [please finish that]), and ANBU (of Sunred!). Quite a likable group of subbers we have.
we have to see which group stick with the series for the long run. it will be 6 months to a year before the series ends. I know Ambu has always finished their show in a fashion or other
(they even finish their shows after they a get C&D letter by just releasing under a pseudo-name).
Old 2009-04-20, 03:14   Link #152
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I'd say watch each group's and decide for yourself. Each one has their own style on how they subtitle the show. That way you'll pick the one that agrees with your tastes.
^ This. Although frankly people might want to stay away from Shiki; decimating this show to ~24fps is not the proper way to process it. Enjoy the jerky video
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 03:20   Link #153
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I started with Shiki. I'll probably end up with Shiki, at least if they do keep up their speed.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 03:53   Link #154
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Anyone else notice the subtle change in the logo from episode 1 to episode 2?

EDIT: It changed in episode 1's next episode preview too.

Last edited by Willen; 2009-04-20 at 04:18.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 06:40   Link #155
Solecs

I did notice that, actually, it was a nice touch. Though probably something that is easily overlooked. Rather, I missed it the first time I saw the episode.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 06:47   Link #156
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It's quite a charming way to emphasize the loss the characters felt in the first episode.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 08:05   Link #157
jpwong

Wow, didn't notice it at all... which is funny since I did notice it in the manga at some point. I think it's very nice, I wonder if we'll see any other subtle changes to the OP/ED as the series progresses.
Old 2009-04-20, 08:58   Link #158
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Wow, didn't notice it at all... which is funny since I did notice it in the manga at some point. I think it's very nice, I wonder if we'll see any other subtle changes to the OP/ED as the series progresses.
yikes, you people are pretty observant. Didn't notice that logo change. pretty nice touch. Also, I didn't notice that snapshot into the future at the very beginning, i don't remember if that happened in the manga or not.
just noticed that after i rewatched the episode to check the logo change.
Old 2009-04-20, 19:59   Link #159
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin and Toanic View Post
I wouldn't touch Jade's releases, considering their snafus with the first episode. Central Anime has done a good job, however.
Considering there were only a few (5-6 very minor, mostly typos), and considering it was the first translation of an anime series episode ever by the translator, I'd say you should give them a little slack. They've already admitted to the mistakes (and they are all pretty minor, really, mostly typos), and there will be a v2 of that episode being released pretty quick here.
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 02:09   Link #160
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
u do realise animesuki that this is a troll - a fake release - delete it.
My Anime List
Wavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports