AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 69 24.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 93 32.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 19.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 13.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.35%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 2.83%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-05, 17:25   Link #141
Yushi

I liked how they handled the first episode.
I was worried in how would they handle the first bit of the anime because in the first season/version they actually followed the manga quite closely, so I thought they would just reanimate those bits or just skip it forward. Instead, they created an original episode to introduce us to the main cast and concepts. =) Nice going~
Old 2009-04-05, 17:44   Link #142
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
On another note for people who have not read the manga while the Isaac thing was all "anime only" there were little things here and there in this episode that will be relevant to the main storyline later on. Of course I won't say what because you will discover this for yourself. I just want to make it clear that this episode is not a complete throwaway.
Makes sense. The impression I've gotten is that the Isaac story is to take the place of some of the introductory storyline that was shared between the manga and anime. For those who don't know, until roughly the 26th episode (with a few differences) the manga and anime storylines were very similar, and the sooner they can get to that point the better, because there is a lot of story in the manga that the anime never covered.

Now excuse me, I need to go find a way to turn that gorgeous shot of the moon reflecting off of the river into a Vista motion background... ^_^
Old 2009-04-05, 17:50   Link #143
blewin

I agree, the pacing and humour seem out of place.... but I can see why they prefer to include all those elements in the 1st episode for the benefit of a majority of of viewers who would have ALREADY either seen the 1st anime or read the manga.

It'd be totally boring for us if they started the 1st episode back from the very beginning, describing the past of the Elric brothers.

about the drawing though, Edward's hair is so much more golden than before (prolly coz the black outline of the fringes are taken out), and their faces also look chubbier. um, I prefer the old style.... though there really aren't that many differences.

Love to OP and ED!
Old 2009-04-05, 17:52   Link #144
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Makes sense. The impression I've gotten is that the Isaac story is to take the place of some of the introductory storyline that was shared between the manga and anime. For those who don't know, until roughly the 26th episode (with a few differences) the manga and anime storylines were very similar, and the sooner they can get to that point the better, because there is a lot of story in the manga that the anime never covered.

Now excuse me, I need to go find a way to turn that gorgeous shot of the moon reflecting off of the river into a Vista motion background... ^_^
I would say FAIRLY similar at best. I believed it was decided very early on that the show would take an original route. But that is neither here nor there.

Good intro ep LOTS of cool action and setting up a lot of cool things to come

I like Miki as Roy. I could barely recognize Koichi Yamadera as Issac but he sounds great too. I am so happy that Kenji Utsumi came back as Armstrong!

Liked the way Irie handled the ep overall.

Unsurprisingly visuals were above par for TV and music is just fine.

Like both OP and ED, ED animation in particular is cute.

Sunday night fixture.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:33   Link #145
Souryu
nothing at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymor View Post
I'm a little disappointed. Mainly because I loved Mustang in the first series, but now he sound and acts soft and does weird faces way too often.
I'll say just one thing: you won't be dissapointed later. Seriously.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:35   Link #146
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
I agree, the pacing and humour seem out of place.... but I can see why they prefer to include all those elements in the 1st episode for the benefit of a majority of of viewers who would have ALREADY either seen the 1st anime or read the manga.

It'd be totally boring for us if they started the 1st episode back from the very beginning, describing the past of the Elric brothers.

about the drawing though, Edward's hair is so much more golden than before (prolly coz the black outline of the fringes are taken out), and their faces also look chubbier. um, I prefer the old style.... though there really aren't that many differences.

Love to OP and ED!
If you look at Al and Hohenheim they are also drawn that way, the general consensus is that it shows people that the Elric brothers and Hohenheim are different from other Amestrians.

Also in the manga its noted that the Elric brothers hair is described as Golden and different from everyone elses.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:54   Link #147
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

Quote:

Love to OP and ED!
Cool, I did notice the brighter hair, I just couldn't put my finger on why it was so bright.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:57   Link #148
chrisbad726

Quote:

Love to OP and ED!
his hair with no outline reminded me of samurai jack.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:03   Link #149
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Saw it, loved it. I liked the Ice Alchemist. I thought he was very cool, and no, he's not a manga character, but he was an interesting way to start off the series.

So nice to see Hughes and his family again. I missed him. Armstrong was hilarious, as usual. Only thing missing from this episode was Winry, but I suspect she'll be in episode 2 a whole bunch, so I shouldn't complain.

Personally, I thought this episode was great, touched on some of our favorite characters, and yet had a bit of a twist on both the manga and the old anime series that made it new and fresh, not just a copy-and-paste redo of the other two FMA versions that we've already seen before.

I think Edward Elric's voice was very good. They did a good job on ALL the voice actors, in my opinion.

All in all, it promised and I think it delivered. I look forward to the next episode. Hell, I can't freaking wait. 10/10
Old 2009-04-05, 20:06   Link #150
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

It was great to see a Full Metal Alchemist after all this time! (Bear it in mind, I have no clue what's happening in the manga, as I'm not really motivated enough to follow any.)
I'm just quite confused how much the whole story differed comparing to the old series. Even the timelines are far away from each other. Here Elysia was already 1-3 year old. And when they had to be introduced I was like wtf.
[snip]
Otherwise I liked the episode. I think the animation was nice enough. The only thing bothered me how we ignored the reintroduction of the characters (so if someone just started watching FMA would be a bit confused about who's who), but they can still do it later episodes if they want, and later we can have the impression that episode1 was a recap-like ep than, in order to refresh everyones memory with cool fast paced action, some (huge) relevance to the main plot and with light jokes.

I admit I couldn't resist not to laugh in every scene Armstrong was there. Hell whenever I hear his voice I immediately associate on his lines and his famous muscles when he boasts with them. It was funny as hell to hear when he visited the hospital ("There I shall console you of the boredom of being hospitalized! Aren't my splendid muscles warming your heart? You don't have to hold back, you can touch them")

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2009-04-05 at 20:13. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 2009-04-05, 20:15   Link #151
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Im being leanate since this is epi one but WATCH THE SPOILER TALK!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-04-05, 20:20   Link #152
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Im being leanate since this is epi one but WATCH THE SPOILER TALK!
They're not spoilers. What we were discussing already happened in season one!
Old 2009-04-05, 20:22   Link #153
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I did warn everyone with 2 well indicated spoilers .
Well anyway I wonder how strictly and till which point season 2 is going to be faithful to it's predecessor, but there are already countless differences (strictly speaking I wouldn't even call it faithful already ), so I don't really know what to think about it. It's sure going to be faster paced compared to the first series, but that's not necessarily a good thing to the new viewers. I'm sure going to follow it though.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:27   Link #154
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
They're not spoilers. What we were discussing already happened in season one!
It doesnt matter, this is an anime-only episode thread, only what goes on in this episode can be discussed just like in every other sub forum we have. Also keep in mind that not everyone has watched the first series so what I deleted would have ruined a major part of this for them.

We have a spoilers and speculations thread for a reason.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-04-05, 20:29   Link #155
crow-kun

People complaining about humor seem to have bad memories because the first anime had it's far share of humor too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymor View Post
I'm a little disappointed. Mainly because I loved Mustang in the first series, but now he sound and acts soft and does weird faces way too often.
He used to be mysterious, cool and emotionally damaged. Just awesome.
And you. You may have a problem with the voice actor and that fine and all but character wise, Mustang would had the same reaction to being wet as he did this episode. And just for the record manga Mustang > anime Mustang thats just pure fact. And no stupid eyepatch.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:46   Link #156
ptoss1
Banned

My thoughts on the 1st episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

1. This seriously wasn't hyped up enough. Many viewers of the original series probably didn't know about the remake. I just told my friend who was a fan of the series and he didn't know about it. Bones should have marketed the remake alot more. More comercials, more pages in magazines, do a 2 episode premier (which i was fuckin hoping for), and o, more coolness.

2. Isaac was pretty cool as an anime only character (sort of like ep 1 of dtb). He was a good guy, despite the crazy laughs, and stupid grins, which I can tell are so noobies can't guess the future plot (but we all know the plot, so screw that). He even used water as alchemy, i mean!!!wtf!why didn't they think of that in the original!!!!and why not keep him as an archenemy of roy mustang!!!he could have had potential, but he died

3. The only voice Im worried about is roy. I hated lockon, hes a gay homo. now roy sounds like a gay homo. Alphonse has cute voice. Ed has purhaps a younger voice than im used to, but it adds more character to him so get used to it, fanboys.

4. The action wasn't as fluid as I would have like.

5. During the Op, when I saw Winry have her spaz attack, I thought:

Ed: leg and arm dissapears
Al: body dissapears
Winry: I'm gonna do that too, guys!!!!!!!!!!! "steps back following step", or not

6. I loved the op and ed.

7. The preview tells me the next episode is gonna suck unless theres some bizzare twist at the end that makes me go "holy f**king s**t.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:49   Link #157
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, my problem with Lockon as Roy is that Ali is Hughes. Seriously, I'll never take scenes where they appear together seriously.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:59   Link #158
ptoss1
Banned

i didn't notice, no wonder it felt so weird, i knew i heard hughes voice somewhere.....
Old 2009-04-05, 21:01   Link #159
ptoss1
Banned

i have a problem with hughes voice now....
Old 2009-04-05, 21:04   Link #160
ptoss1
Banned

you no what would be awesome: if the 1st opening was the intro with the full 4 minutes of Again
Closed Thread