AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-05-12, 06:15   Link #161
wrook

There are two chapters left. We'll be releasing them both at the same time (which is how they were printed originally). Also, Guixing (the other translator) has written a huge number of notes for the last chapter. Lots and lots of trivia about the series, names, Japan, etc. I certainly learned a lot from them, so I hope you'll enjoy it

Also, one quick plug! Even if the series doesn't get licensed, please consider buying the Japanese version. It's available in a lot of mail order stores. I worry a bit some times because Mahoraba is virtually unknown in Japan, it seems (a survey of 400 of my high school students turned up only one who had ever heard of it). When I bought the last 2 volumes they also came with tarot cards, which were pretty cool. So please support the author as much as you can! Maybe he can be persuaded to write a new series
wrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 11:11   Link #162
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrook View Post
There are two chapters left. We'll be releasing them both at the same time (which is how they were printed originally). Also, Guixing (the other translator) has written a huge number of notes for the last chapter. Lots and lots of trivia about the series, names, Japan, etc. I certainly learned a lot from them, so I hope you'll enjoy it

Also, one quick plug! Even if the series doesn't get licensed, please consider buying the Japanese version. It's available in a lot of mail order stores. I worry a bit some times because Mahoraba is virtually unknown in Japan, it seems (a survey of 400 of my high school students turned up only one who had ever heard of it). When I bought the last 2 volumes they also came with tarot cards, which were pretty cool. So please support the author as much as you can! Maybe he can be persuaded to write a new series
Dunno what should amaze me more. That you guys found this gem or that the japanese high school don't know about Mahoraba. o_O;;; Anyhow their loss. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 13:20   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I find that a bit stunning but its been a couple of years, so its possible that your peer group simply wasn't in the "bracket of interest" at the time of publishing and the anime series?

I have some of the tarot cards (from the books which I also have) -- the rest were apparently distributed in Japan via promos, magazines, etc.
Old 2008-06-23, 15:23   Link #164
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

At last, the final chapters of Mahoraba have been released!

A big to HnG for their excellent work on this manga that deserves to have a western release!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 15:32   Link #165
ellifeedn
Thinker

My heart is combusting with joy right now.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 17:39   Link #166
Man0warr

What a great ending, so her 4 personalities were reborn as their children
Man0warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 20:01   Link #167
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
I am impressed. I am truly impressed!

The last two chapters have MUCH better editing than the ones I read before (though I account that to onemanga's upload being lololdoldold). And the story itself--a shining, warm, fuzzy ending in which even the minor characters finally get a name! And seeing Kozue after all those years, and her children... my heart was touched. I was in a sour mood from something earlier, but this comic cheered me up.

Props HnG. Props.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 22:41   Link #168
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Yay, it's finally over!! What a manga, what an ending, what a ride!
Old 2008-06-24, 00:38   Link #169
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Despite the long wait, we're rewarded with an excellent ending - something very few manga manage to execute.

I was expecting our main man Shiratori to kinda look "manlier" with the passage of time (dude, grow some facial hair). Still looks like you can throw on a wig and confuse people. But whatever, it's the changes on the inside what count.

The thing I always like (and always expect :P) in an ending is the little montage showing how our characters are doing after some passage of time. I absolutely hate an abrupt end, and initially I was bracing myself for this. But, looking at the raws two years ago (Great Scott, it's been that long?) I knew I would get my wish.

General comments:
Spoiler:

With all that said, Mohoraba manages to tie up all loose ends before tackling the main one, and does the job of providing us some closure. The series was both engaging and charming, and it pains me that I will never have this in English print - sitting on my shelf to lend to those who might want to read something a little different. Ah well, a piece of writable digital media will have to suffice.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 06:25   Link #170
wrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
it pains me that I will never have this in English print - sitting on my shelf to lend to those who might want to read something a little different.
I agree with this completely. It is really frustrating for me as well. But it's all about business. From what I can tell, originally places like Tokyo Pop were getting rights for almost nothing (the numbers I've heard are $1000 per volume, *no* royalties). They spend maybe $5000 translating and editing, then sell the books for a couple of dollars a pop. The distributors/stores then jack up the price to $10-15. Everybody makes a mint but the author and Japanese publisher.

SquareEnix is relatively smart and (again, based on what I've heard) won't license their stuff for such ridiculously low prices. But this means that series that aren't slam dunks (like FMA, or I've heard a rumor that Bamboo Blade is licensed) will never get licensed.

Some US publishers (specifically Del Ray) have entered into reciprocal licensing deals with Japanese publishers, which keeps the actual money changing hands to a minimum, and seems promising. But we'll have to see.

Anyway, I've gone on a tangent. I'm glad you guys liked the scanslation. Please try to show your appreciation by buying the Japanese version of the manga. It's the only way that the author gets compensated. And even if it's Japanese (or possibly *because* it's Japanese), it looks great on the bookshelf! You can lend it out and give them a copy of the translation at the same time
wrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 07:10   Link #171
ellifeedn
Thinker

After seeing PastPrime's sig, I'm wondering if someone could make a sig of the quadruplets.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 11:12   Link #172
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
After seeing PastPrime's sig, I'm wondering if someone could make a sig of the quadruplets.
Here you go!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 12:47   Link #173
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

*tear

It ended. I guess all good things come to an end. It's a nice ending though I did think 4 was too much of a good thing, but I can deal with it. Huzzaa for my all time favourite manga.
edit: And a yay for HnG
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 14:14   Link #174
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
I've heard a rumor that Bamboo Blade is licensed
Not a rumor. Yen Press picked it up, and they're the same dudes who picked up Hidamari Sketch. Decent quality so far, btw.

Quote:
Anyway, I've gone on a tangent. I'm glad you guys liked the scanslation. Please try to show your appreciation by buying the Japanese version of the manga. It's the only way that the author gets compensated. And even if it's Japanese (or possibly *because* it's Japanese), it looks great on the bookshelf! You can lend it out and give them a copy of the translation at the same time
You bet yer toosh we loved the scanlation. I might have to add the Mahoraba set to my order of Aria.
Old 2008-06-24, 16:59   Link #175
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've owned the japanese complete set of manga since the series aired.

I certainly appreciate the scanlations to cross-check my interpretation of the dialog though. thanks to wrook and anyone else who worked on the scanlations.

Now if I could just convince Viz or someone to release it....
Old 2008-06-24, 19:32   Link #176
noneofcon

Does anyone know if HnG has any plans to translate the art book for mahoraba?
noneofcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 19:35   Link #177
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

question is the manga the same as the anime or is it a bit more???

cuz really i mrunning out of what t read T_T
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 22:25   Link #178
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
question is the manga the same as the anime or is it a bit more???

cuz really i mrunning out of what t read T_T
What is more? The anime or manga?. Anime kinda "plays it safe" when it comes to quirks (ie. Sayoko isn't suicidal in the anime). Ah, there's a list of differences that can be found here.
Old 2008-06-24, 22:35   Link #179
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

After a long wait, I finally read the last 2 chapters.
The long wait was paid with a very touching ending.
Kudos to HnG for their hard work.

Thank you very much!
Old 2008-06-24, 22:40   Link #180
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

that solve it

(readies some snacks and 3 bottles of 1.5 liters of mountain dew)

mharaba manga here i come
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen, slice of life