AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-04, 23:31   Link #161
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Really nice first episode. Very unique art style and nice use of ink, reminds me of SFIV a bit in it's implementation.
Old 2010-09-05, 00:22   Link #162
Pheonix03

The first episode was pretty good. The art style is fantastic and the execution of it in the animation is quite good; that paired with the strong character designs, the visuals are a joy to look at. Voice acting was quite good as well.

Still, I'm not sold on the series yet. For an anime that is built upon the foundation of its female characters, they really came across as weak in this episode (outside of the prologue sequence, of course). Yaguu just seemed very dominant in his presence throughout the episode; heh, a samurai-themed Queen's Blade this is not. Later on, I hope the female characters develop a stronger presence in the show. If I wanted to see a man fight, there's plenty of other better stuff out there for that.

I'll keep an eye on this one for now. There's a lot of potential for this series with it's stylish execution of the animation and great character designs. Hopefully that potential won't be wasted by making this a Negima rip-off.

If worst comes to worst, I'll check on the show every now and then to see Hanzou's yuri antics, heh.
Pheonix03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 00:45   Link #163
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I personally agree that complaints on this basis are nonsense, since just about all mainstream anime borrow heavily from each other. What they do with the material is more important than shallow similarities of plot. But I do think the similarities are real. One strong Sekirei connection is a magical fighter dropping (semi-)naked from the sky.

So far, I find the humor here in ep1 funnier than in any of the other three, and the art style is certainly a lot different from any of them. And more inventive and interesting. The strong male lead is a difference, too, is it not? And for some reason, I find it easier to follow and be interested in the story.

I wondered if I might just be biased in favor of a show with a seiyuu I like, Yuuki Aoi, but QB and Sekirei have two other favorite seiyuus of mine -- Hirano Aya and Hayami Saori.

EDIT: A new 2channel post gave me a laugh. Someone has listed 21 shows this show has ripped off:

Strawberry Panic, Ikkitousen, Negima, Sekirei, Sakura Taisen, QB, Sengoku Basara, Dai Maou, Stratos 4, Ookami (PS2 game), Qwesar, Katanagatari, Koihime Musou, Laputa, 11eyes, Blassreiter, Zero no Tsukaima, Ooedo Rocket, SD Gundam Sangokuden, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Shaft direction.

Um, if it's like that many different shows, perhaps it's original?
It's not Qwesar but Qwaser.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 01:40   Link #164
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
It's not Qwesar but Qwaser.
Thanks. I can never remember which it is. I wish they just spelled it like the real word "quasar." In Japanese, it's クェイサー kueisaa.

By the way, the guy who made that long list of things this is derivative of left out Strike Witches. I'm just watching the episode again and enjoying the silliness of those aerial battles -- a more adult version of the SW girls, underclothes and all.

Surely the irony of the nationalistic narration is intentional? "We're so beautiful people keep invading us. (Of course, we never invaded anyone....)" I guess part of the set-up in this alternate world may be that Japan remained closed off and really didn't invade others.

Also, please feel free not to quote all of my tl;dr post. Feel free just to delete everything but the bit you're making reference to.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 03:07   Link #165
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix03 View Post
Still, I'm not sold on the series yet. For an anime that is built upon the foundation of its female characters, they really came across as weak in this episode (outside of the prologue sequence, of course). Yaguu just seemed very dominant in his presence throughout the episode; heh, a samurai-themed Queen's Blade this is not. Later on, I hope the female characters develop a stronger presence in the show. If I wanted to see a man fight, there's plenty of other better stuff out there for that.
I think giving focus to Muneakira and showing he is a capable main character was necessary, because he is bound to be overshadowed later, when the girls "awaken".
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 05:43   Link #166
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Hmmm...I just watched the episode, and I rather liked it. I'm not really critical about art style or whatever, it doesn't bother me at all and I loved the animation of the fights, especially the bit at the beginning before the opening song. To be honest though, I liked those things far better than the fanservice/comedy bits. I loved the fighting scenes and is more looking forward for them, especially seeing the variety of cool weapons the girls wield (my personal favorite is D'artagnan's dual huge swords. Can't wait to see those in more action).

It's still the first episode but as I said before I'm not really interested in the comedy, like the bit about the usual ecchi misunderstanding. Hanzou Hattori kinda annoys me (btw, ninja maids are quite popular these days, huh?) and I've seen quite a lot of different interpretations of Yukimura Sanada (Kyo, Basara, Samurai Warriors) but seeing him as a tsurupettan, voiced by Rie Kugimiya no less, is a bit bizzare. The ink blots is rather creative, but gets kinda annoying. I'd rather Matabei clothers herself better than got that annoying blot in the middle of the screen. I don't care about originality though, everything is inspired by something at some point and I don't think this show's prime objective is to be a genre-breaking original work.

In short, I'm still a bit apprehensive but I'll watch the next few episodes again when it comes out. Now, seeing them makes me want to replay Sengoku Rance again, I think there's still a route I haven't played...
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 06:07   Link #167
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I loved the fighting scenes and is more looking forward for them, especially seeing the variety of cool weapons the girls wield (my personal favorite is D'artagnan's dual huge swords. Can't wait to see those in more action).
I know those swords are amazing and the only action of it was I think in the OP! I still say D'artagnan = to Saber with a mix of Samurai Showdown's Charlotte and some girl I forgot in Guilty Gear XX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Matabei clothers herself better than got that annoying blot in the middle of the screen. I don't care about originality though, everything is inspired by something at some point and I don't think this show's prime objective is to be a genre-breaking original work.
Yeah I know about the censors being but!.......her underwear which is a fudonshi makes up for that part and you got to admit not too much of that in anime anyways.
Quote:
Surely the irony of the nationalistic narration is intentional? "We're so beautiful people keep invading us. (Of course, we never invaded anyone....)" I guess part of the set-up in this alternate world may be that Japan remained closed off and really didn't invade others.
It obvious that the B-29s are a USA opposition of leave us alone or super beings will come after you or Gundams for that matter. Well I did speak to someone about that part and USA simply do not trust Japan to leave it alone. Of course not when you can exploit it easily.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 07:15   Link #168
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Thanks. I can never remember which it is. I wish they just spelled it like the real word "quasar." In Japanese, it's クェイサー kueisaa.

By the way, the guy who made that long list of things this is derivative of left out Strike Witches. I'm just watching the episode again and enjoying the silliness of those aerial battles -- a more adult version of the SW girls, underclothes and all.

Also, please feel free not to quote all of my tl;dr post. Feel free just to delete everything but the bit you're making reference to.
The real word is Qwaser, not Quasar according to TVTropes.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 07:38   Link #169
Thino

I really like the art style , how the characters are outlined and stuff .

It seems weird to watch an anime about gorgeous girls with super powers destroying planes and whose powers are improved by kisses while Sekirei is still airing , but I guess I'll give it a few more episodes

Im half sold on the Great Japan shogun era , samurais , big artistic kanjis everywhere , that whole kind of medieval japan atmosphere in general (like Katanagatari or Okami the game , as mentioned before ) + inkdrops

I'll see how it turns out , as Im not really bothered by lack of originality
Thino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 07:41   Link #170
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

OMFG episode 1 is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but DAMMIT INK SPLOTS!!!!!!DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!

but hey its better than fogs right?

god the echiness is awesome love the art work

the fight scene seems nice cant wait for episode 2
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 09:01   Link #171
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Yuuki Aoi's tone was so much win. Definitely sounds like a merciless, badass b****.

The ink blots made me feel like I was playing Okami. Just wicked.

Great start.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 09:26   Link #172
Wrath88
Kissing...

Uguu, I must watch this right away! Stupid homework...
Old 2010-09-05, 09:32   Link #173
tsunade666

well stupid fog and long not transparent sunlight or just ink blots here and their. Theirs been lot of censoring type but ink blots are lot better though the ink blots are too random and even in not the spot that needs not to be censored are hit by it.
Old 2010-09-05, 11:13   Link #174
Wrath88
Kissing...

Hmm, with the inkblot censoring, I kind of don't mind it.

Power up = kiss, girl falls down from sky...
But the guy is GAR! Still...

I facepalmed when the princess took out the picture.

Juubei's fall in the ED was quite cute.
Old 2010-09-05, 13:25   Link #175
Eternal_Sin
Useless Human Being

I love the Art

And I kinda love the censoring technique

the character also looks cute...esp.Jubei

Hope It won't be like Queen's blade.....
Eternal_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 13:59   Link #176
tsunade666

oh it won't be queen's blade because their is a guy and it won't be sekirei because at least the guy can fight. well let's wait and see but at least I'm grateful that the guy can fight and not some hide behind girls back. I hate that type.
Old 2010-09-05, 14:08   Link #177
Echoes

This was cool. Fantastic art, and the character designs are just lovely. I wasn't a big fan of the ultra-nationalistic opening, but maybe it was tongue in cheek, I don't know the language well enough to tell.

I'm really looking forward to this either way. It looks like mindless fun at its finest.
Old 2010-09-05, 14:54   Link #178
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:

Perhaps, I guess it depends on how seriously the characters themselves take it. Either case I didn't find it very funny, so I hope there's less of that, and more of the crazy fights of the first few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
I think giving focus to Muneakira and showing he is a capable main character was necessary, because he is bound to be overshadowed later, when the girls "awaken".
That's probably going to be case, I just hope he doesn't end as nothing more than a walking energy battery.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 18:18   Link #179
tsunade666

is all the girls awaken anyway to begin with? or only jubei is the one that need "chu" to awaken? though in the first part with the crazy fight against planes it looks like all are awakened or something and even I can't seem to identify sanada at first because she looks different..... a lot different.
Old 2010-09-05, 22:34   Link #180
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

Surely the irony of the nationalistic narration is intentional? "We're so beautiful people keep invading us. (Of course, we never invaded anyone....)" I guess part of the set-up in this alternate world may be that Japan remained closed off and really didn't invade others..
Watched it. I definitely want to say that portion of the narrative should be taken in as silly. At the same time, however, considering the growing anti-gaijin (especially for the Korean and Chinese immigrants) sentiment Japan is undergoing at the moment, I'm sort of reluctant to brush off anything.

Fortunately, I'm in it for the fanservice alone. I already dislike the male protagonist because of that particular seiyuu for the voice, so skins to distract me from the implicated plot point from various degree.

Oh, and the thread is now moved to the Current Series section.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, light novel adaptation, seinen, shounen