AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-10, 09:21   Link #1941
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

There's no romance, no Yuri, the only love in this series besides Serah and Snow is family love.

Oerba
Dia Vanille

Oerba Yun Fang

What does that tell you? They are married? No, they are sisters.

Romance isn't the only form of love around, family and friendship are forms of love as well.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 10:39   Link #1942
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
There's no romance, no Yuri, the only love in this series besides Serah and Snow is family love.

Oerba
Dia Vanille

Oerba Yun Fang

What does that tell you? They are married? No, they are sisters.

Romance isn't the only form of love around, family and friendship are forms of love as well.
Err. They are definitely not sisters, they're just from the same tribe "Oerba". Read the novel if you want to know more about it.

While their relationship is probably not sexual, you can't deny that they really like to touch and hug. It's up to the gamer to decide how far their relationship goes, but a fact is that they have a really strong bond. Even up to the point where their only goal in life is to exist for eachother.

Quote:
And I just have to say this: Other than Ligtning and Hope, ALL THE CHARACTERS are FLAT. Really now, how bad does it have to go?
. . . You only got the game today and you're already saying that most of the characters are flat ...? Did you finish it already or was that your first impression? I'd say, please finish the game or play it a bit more before stating this like a fact. The only character who behaves pretty much the same way throughout the whole game is Snow, other than that, all characters have to deal with some kind of inner conflict.

Last edited by Serffix; 2010-01-10 at 10:50.
Serffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 11:44   Link #1943
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, Vanille definitely stated that Fang and her as well as all of the people who lived in their house were a family.

By stating themselves to be family members they acknowledge each other as sisters even if they weren't related by blood. They were a very loving family with a really strong bond.

Not just between Vanille and Fang, all characters' goals and motivations were their families. Lightning being her sister, Snow his fiance, Sazh's son, Hope's parents. The theme for this FF is really about family bonds.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 14:29   Link #1944
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well, Vanille definitely stated that Fang and her as well as all of the people who lived in their house were a family.

By stating themselves to be family members they acknowledge each other as sisters even if they weren't related by blood. They were a very loving family with a really strong bond.

Not just between Vanille and Fang, all characters' goals and motivations were their families. Lightning being her sister, Snow his fiance, Sazh's son, Hope's parents. The theme for this FF is really about family bonds.
Umm Fang and Vanille refer to their "families" separately. They refer to each other as Nakama or comrades.

Spoiler for for a side quest:
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 18:12   Link #1945
7Th
Mixtape

You're both all getting everything wrong.

To CA: Vanille and Fang share the Oerba last name because everyone in Oerba shares the Oerba last name. Oerba is a very tightly knit community in which everyone feels like if they were part of one huge family.

To wisteria233: That's wrong, actually. Vanille and Fang both lost their families long before the events of Ragnarok and Fang would never blame Vanille about it. Fang is about to punch Vanille because Vanille called herself a terrible person and "tried to carry the burden all by herself" by hiding the truth about her Focus, Ragnarok and the events from 500 years from Fang. Fang says that they're in it together and that Vanille shouldn't forget that whatever happens they are supposed to stay together to the very end.

Anyway, Fang and Vanille's relationship goes beyond that of sisters or best friends and from the game and the light-novels it is hard to not consider it stronger than the relationship between Serah and Lightning or Snow... but I don't think it wouldn't be very accurate to flat-out call them "lovers" or anything. It's just an extremely strong bond that transcends definition.

Spoiler for Light novel and ending spoilers...:
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 19:33   Link #1946
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

RPGFan import review. This one seems to be a pretty accurate one(wouldn't know for sure since I haven't played the game). I'm doing a pretty good job in lowering my expectation for the game, obviously still hoping to be pleasantly surprised(buying the game anyway might be the last I buy on release though o_O ).

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_...III/index.html
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 23:29   Link #1947
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
RPGFan import review. This one seems to be a pretty accurate one(wouldn't know for sure since I haven't played the game). I'm doing a pretty good job in lowering my expectation for the game, obviously still hoping to be pleasantly surprised(buying the game anyway might be the last I buy on release though o_O ).

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_...III/index.html
To be honest, in all the things written there, I personally don't see anything that would lower my expectations all that much. He praises the game for having a great battle system, bar-setting visuals and audio, and a good story. It's actually a very positive review, but he gives it a very negative slant because he approaches the game with a "this was supposed to be the game that changed the world" perspective. It's pretty hard not to find flaws and be nit-picky when you approach it with that mindset, even if the points he raises are legitimate.

If the main "problem" with the game is that there's little to do other than just continue through the (apparently enjoyable, according to him) game 'till the end, that will only make my life simpler, given how few games I have the chance to play through these days. When I get to the end and can shelf it, it'll be an accomplishment.
Old 2010-01-11, 06:51   Link #1948
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
To be honest, in all the things written there, I personally don't see anything that would lower my expectations all that much. He praises the game for having a great battle system, bar-setting visuals and audio, and a good story. It's actually a very positive review, but he gives it a very negative slant because he approaches the game with a "this was supposed to be the game that changed the world" perspective. It's pretty hard not to find flaws and be nit-picky when you approach it with that mindset, even if the points he raises are legitimate.

If the main "problem" with the game is that there's little to do other than just continue through the (apparently enjoyable, according to him) game 'till the end, that will only make my life simpler, given how few games I have the chance to play through these days. When I get to the end and can shelf it, it'll be an accomplishment.
I get what you mean, I always stick to the main part as well and never stray that much. It's just the whole thought of dungeon -> cutscene-> dugeon. Of course it opens up, but the majority of the game doesn't play that way. I like linearity, but there are limits. I think FF13 is going to be pretty much on that limit.

Don't get me wrong I'm still expecting a good Final Fantasy game. I appreciate them trying to change every time, but sometimes I just wish they wouldn't be so risky. I'm starting to appreciate what FF12 tried to do. It's funny FF12 and FF13 seem to be 2 extremes. What FF12 lacks FF13 has and vice versa.
Old 2010-01-11, 07:36   Link #1949
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Now that the game has been out for about a month, I like to point out a particular message I've posted back on page 74, a moth before the game is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Entry from a particular Japanese Blog :-

Quote:
先般、リストラ話が出たので気にはなっていたのだが、某年末大型の最終版を少しフラゲ。確かに 、このデキで は早期退職を考えなければならんような内容。

前作もゲームとしてのデキが悪く、おおいに叩かれたけれども、今回はそれ以上に「どうしてこう なってしまっ たのだろう」という感じで、少なくとも西海岸では「いくら金を払われても、これは褒められない 」と一致した 評価に。
自分でやってみたけど、ギミックディールとなる雑魚戦の極端なつまらなさが作品全体のテンポを 悪くしすぎて いるような気はしました。
作り込みは凄いけれども、アンチャやその他大型作品に比べて、作り込みにかける方向が根本的に 間違っている か、ディレクションが不徹底でかなりの程度厳しい評価を受けざるを得ない内容になってます。

http://kirik.tea-nifty.com/diary/2009/11/post-148c.html

Loose Translation :-

Quote:
Sometime back, after being retrenched by my company, I'm left wondering why. After playing around a bit with a final build of particular major game that's schedueled for release at year's end, I can't deny this is a major factor in me being laid off.

The previous title of the game is undeniably bad and left some bad taste in gamer's mouth. But this time it will perhaps left more of an impact on their mind as to why had this series hit an all time low ? Comments from overseas gamers might even go like "I might have paid a premium for it, but that does not mean it's good." For me, after playing the final build, I would say that it's a fantastic lightshow but the flow of this game is full of bumps from the begining to the end.

The game might be of good impression to people now but when compared to huge titles like Uncharted 2, it's definatly focusing more on it's packaging and presentation. The producers definatly left a lot of holes to be filled in and people will no doubt left wondering about it's contents.

There you have it. Comments from a disgrunted ex-employee or is FFXIII truly another rushed job ? We shall see.
so how much of this prophetical post turns out to be true ?

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2010-01-11 at 07:47.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 13:18   Link #1950
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post

I'm not expecting a Yuna "sudden changeswap" or Zidane "the womaniser" or Tifa "watermelons". (In fact, I'm actually GLAD FF13 doesn't have the above.) But other than Lightning and Hope, everyone else seems to be either VERY cliche (Snow - rebellious leader, Vanille - genki, Fang - Hitagi Senjougahara, Sazh - Eddie Murphy) or shafted to one side.
I wasn't going to say anything but this sort of generalized uninformed opinion just makes me angry.

How is Sazh = Eddie Murphy... he's not even comedic relief... Vanille is also NOT genki... the genki is a facade to cover her overwhelming guilt because everything is mostly or indirectly her fault.

Fang = Senjougahara... what? Were you watching the same bakemonogatari as me? There is nothing that Fang has in common with her... you are on crack.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 16:00   Link #1951
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Now that the game has been out for about a month, I like to point out a particular message I've posted back on page 74, a moth before the game is released.

[...]

Wait, so you've been a "doomsayer" about this game for that long?

In the end, the game isn't designed to be a single definitive/comprehensive work. It's one of a trilogy of games set in the same universe (à la Starcraft 2). So the fact that each game has a more limited scope is pretty much to be expected; it's a "do few things well" sort of approach that reflects the increased development costs. Not that this is necessarily going to soothe the wounded gamer's soul, but I think we can probably expect more of this sort of thing for "blockbuster titles" in years to come. Even so, the value proposition (hours of enjoyment/dollar spent) of a videogame like this is still good, unless the very things you enjoyed were the things that aren't featured heavily in this particular part (which is no doubt the case for some, but I sort of doubt it's the case for all that many).

I sort go back to what I said earlier wondering what all the point of this armchair quarterbacking is. Are there prizes to be won and I just missed the memo?
Old 2010-01-12, 00:45   Link #1952
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Wait, so you've been a "doomsayer" about this game for that long?

In the end, the game isn't designed to be a single definitive/comprehensive work. It's one of a trilogy of games set in the same universe (à la Starcraft 2). So the fact that each game has a more limited scope is pretty much to be expected; it's a "do few things well" sort of approach that reflects the increased development costs. Not that this is necessarily going to soothe the wounded gamer's soul, but I think we can probably expect more of this sort of thing for "blockbuster titles" in years to come. Even so, the value proposition (hours of enjoyment/dollar spent) of a videogame like this is still good, unless the very things you enjoyed were the things that aren't featured heavily in this particular part (which is no doubt the case for some, but I sort of doubt it's the case for all that many).

I sort go back to what I said earlier wondering what all the point of this armchair quarterbacking is. Are there prizes to be won and I just missed the memo?
I dunno, I really enjoy puzzles and exploration in my dungeons

Anyways, probably not going to be a day 1 buy for me from the looks of it. It was one of my original reasons to get a PS3 =/
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 15:38   Link #1953
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/in...-fantasy/60730

The international trailer is pretty epic have to say, surprised to hear Leona Lewis, it does somewhat fit the game.
Old 2010-01-13, 17:49   Link #1954
ShinGundam

Quote:

Hmm
Final Fantasy XIII Had Lots of Deleted Content

Quote:
Apparently, the FFXIII design team created a number of areas that ended up not going into the final product. How much? Enough to create an additional game, according to Kamikokuryou.

Kamikokuryou shared a few locations with the magazine. Apparently, the design team created a full area surrounding Lightning's home. This area resembled a park. There was also a secret base for resistance group Nora inside a shop somewhere. Nautiuls Park, an amusement facility, at one point also included a zoo.

The content was already running on actual PS3 hardware, it seems, but was left out due to considerations for game volume and overall game balanace.
Ok i want prequel
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 17:54   Link #1955
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
The international trailer is pretty epic have to say, surprised to hear Leona Lewis, it does somewhat fit the game.
I'm going to have to disagree.

The song doesnt fit with the trailer (nor the game) at all imo. :x
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 19:15   Link #1956
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
They could have at least let that amusement park in the game. Since that would probably be an optional area, it wouldn't disturb the overall game balance at all...unless that park wasn't intented to be an optional place with mini-games, like gold saucer in FFVII.

/edit: Have already been corrected

Last edited by ZGoten; 2010-01-13 at 19:58.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 19:24   Link #1957
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
Why the sad face? Stuff get scrapped from games all the time. It's all going to be DLC anyhow. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
I'm going to have to disagree.

The song doesnt fit with the trailer (nor the game) at all imo. :x
Can't see how this is any different then the standard J-pop theme song.
Old 2010-01-13, 19:26   Link #1958
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Yeah, as 2H-Dragon said, the thing about deleted content that is that it happens pretty much all the time with all software titles, videogames or not. It's pretty clear from past interviews that the production team got the classic management edict at some point "you must ship this year (so we can save face/meet our sales estimates)". So anything that's extra or unessential gets cut back so they can properly complete and debug whatever's essential. What would the game have looked like if they had been given more time and didn't have to worry about things like the 360 port and not stepping into the territory of their sister products? Who knows. But in the end, you can only judge a product for what it ends up being, not necessarily for what the designers and developers wished it could have been if they had been given more time and resources. (That constant struggle between the "big dream" and "business reality" is the story of the life of any software producer/designer. )

In other words, the only difference here really is that they're talking about it. And of course, with DLC and re-releases, there's always a chance that they could revive some of it (even though that pisses some people off too).

(I bet people would be surprised to see how many games were created by collecting the unfinished parts of past projects... )
Old 2010-01-13, 19:35   Link #1959
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
They could have at least let that amusement park in the game. Since that would probably be an optional area, it wouldn't disturb the overall game balance at all...unless that park wasn't intented to be an optional place with mini-games, like gold saucer in FFVII.
Nautilus IS in the game, as far as I know. It's the only 'real' town.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 19:59   Link #1960
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Nautilus IS in the game, as far as I know. It's the only 'real' town.
Oh, my bad, it was just the zoo that didn't make it to the final version.

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360