AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 7 29.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 20.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 37.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 4.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-02-06, 13:01   Link #41
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshino_crimsonwings View Post
Anyone else replay the Leilei magic sword scene while playing Unlimited blade works theme in the background?
No, but I did replay two mini dragoons death scene while playing 'America f**k yeah!' in background
Old 2016-02-06, 13:05   Link #42
Dart-Sama

sucks... this chapter sucks more than the others even... awfully omitted, awfully rushed and awfully emotionless, i couldnt fell any emotion the whole damn fight!! fisrt season was okay but second... huff.
3.-
Old 2016-02-06, 13:40   Link #43
ReddyRedWolf

Just as when you think Lelei is going on the path of Explosions she goes for the path of sword projectiles instead.

Combat magic is feasible but the Empire doesn't have the motivation to develop and deploy it.
Old 2016-02-06, 14:18   Link #44
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart-Sama View Post
sucks... this chapter sucks more than the others even... awfully omitted, awfully rushed and awfully emotionless, i couldnt fell any emotion the whole damn fight!! first season was okay but second... huff.
I agree that the second season seems a pale echo of the first, but I personally felt a lot of emotion through most of the fight, especially the last part.

I also agree that the whole second fight came upon us extremely suddenly, and without any build-up. But because I already knew Rory loathed and feared Hardy, and because of the first fight having just ended, I was up and ready to be moved by the second. It's always nice to have overwhelming firepower on your side.

In fact, I enjoyed this ep more than others in season two.

Not sure if you were implying that you had read the novels, but I usually find that having read the original reduces my enjoyment of the anime. Novel/manga can always include more of everything -- except in a case likeHoney & Clover season one, which was almost frame for frame the same as the manga.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2016-02-06, 18:45   Link #45
rladls2121

Sakura Ayane, now if there are two more main Voice Cast from the gochuumon wa usagi desu ka, take a character role on this series then it is going to be the straight flush.

I was kind of confused about what going on in the battle in this episode because i was too focused on how the elves suffers in the hands, leg, tail, and breath of that one big dragon.
And Itami was like "God damn it!!!" about the situation in the whole episode, trying hard to take control of the situation.
Then Itami, just to be pointed as the one who defeated the dragon as in all alone to Giselle.
To think he had the stamina left to carry Rory and run away.

I kind of think Itami is rather saved since the dragon pinpoint targeted the elves first before him.
It seemed to me I was watching some kind of a Jurassic Park movie that everyone was rather too scared to fight back, even though they actually tried everything they got to fight back and crushed or eaten alive.

Im sure there's going to be some mourning of the lost elves in the next episode.
It's kind of an irony because even the elves were prepared to fight, they rather seemed to be the ones who should be protected.
Old 2016-02-06, 19:02   Link #46
abc0716

Lelei performs UBW while saying Kirito's quote...

Also lol @ Producer of (Im@s) Cinderella Girls as one of the dark elves. Unfortunately they have only about 10+ mins. of screen-time.....
Old 2016-02-06, 19:04   Link #47
cloud04
Scanlator

they really toned down the gore on this one ._. and those jokes by the dark elves
Old 2016-02-07, 00:15   Link #48
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Just as when you think Lelei is going on the path of Explosions she goes for the path of sword projectiles instead.

Combat magic is feasible but the Empire doesn't have the motivation to develop and deploy it.
About the only thing that levels the playing field. So sucks to be the Empire, archers arent doing them any good...some powerful magic users though well that can change the tide.
Old 2016-02-07, 00:16   Link #49
mergele

Rory may take Itamis wounds, but when did her cloths form a contract with him?
And in regard of that scottish apostle: "Behold, the NEW gods are here!"
Old 2016-02-07, 02:01   Link #50
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
Rory may take Itamis wounds, but when did her cloths form a contract with him?
And in regard of that scottish apostle: "Behold, the NEW gods are here!"
She was in mortal fisticuffs with another apostle. She had internal bleeding, doesn't mean she wouldn't have ahem...external wounds fighting an apostle who was at the time probably going at it at full strength.

I can't believe they cut off the Rory victory walk...it's like the best part.
Old 2016-02-07, 14:02   Link #51
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
It seems Rory's true power is still rather unmeasurable.
Giselle herself said that she can fight evenly with Rory with the two dragons tamed by her side.
And here Rory just took the damage because of some contract with Itami, wait how did Itami received damage?
I thought Itami did not even once took a direct physical hit from the dragon?
You misunderstood. Giselle said she and Rory were evenly matched, but with the dragons by her side she would surpass "her sister". That is why she was so confident she could bring Rory to Hardy.

Plus, you did not saw Itami receiving damage because of the retarded censorship the studio applied in this anime. It seems that when you fire those "Iron cocks" ( xD ), some sort of small explosion/incineration is created in the back of the shooter. We saw it when one of the dark elves shot the dragon and also accidentally hit the two elves behind him. Although they had no blood or any injury shown, being hit by that is deadly and gruesome. We also saw that happening to Itami when the female elf made the same mistake and shot the dragon while Itami was behind her. That is why Itami was fainted for a while until Yao woke him up. Rory just saved his life there with the contract thing.
Old 2016-02-07, 22:19   Link #52
Jaden

The RPG backblast is real! Certainly enough to lift people off the ground and F them up pretty badly. A 10-20 meter safe zone in a cone behind the shooter is recommended, depending on the weapon being used.

There's lots of untrained people in Syria shooting RPGs these days and they also have cameras, so you can go on YouTube to see what happens!
Old 2016-02-07, 23:31   Link #53
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The RPG backblast is real! Certainly enough to lift people off the ground and F them up pretty badly. A 10-20 meter safe zone in a cone behind the shooter is recommended, depending on the weapon being used.

There's lots of untrained people in Syria shooting RPGs these days and they also have cameras, so you can go on YouTube to see what happens!
how about using RPGs in tight & closed spaces? if CSI somehow manages to thought us that the victim aka attacker manages to fry himself alive by the back exhaust while hiding in a cement mixer barrel...........

so who's here now still thinks Lelei being a Rei Ayanami expy despite she shows more emotion & as of this episode, her MURDER HAPPY FACE.
Old 2016-02-08, 02:30   Link #54
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
so who's here now still thinks Lelei being a Rei Ayanami expy despite she shows more emotion & as of this episode, her MURDER HAPPY FACE.
Actually, that IS what being the "Blue Oni" is all about. Being the quiet, shy and reserved type who became dangerous when enraged. While the "Red Oni" is extrovert, loud, but secretly vulnerable and gentle.

Rei and Asuka, Yuki Nagato and Haruhi Suzumiya, Lelei and Rory. it is an ancient tradition.
Old 2016-02-08, 04:48   Link #55
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Actually, as the manga makes more clear, she's still on the Path of Explosions. That's how she was accelerating the swords to get them fast enough to pierce the dragon's hide. Rudimentary rocketry, mage style. Her telekinesis was only to position them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshino_crimsonwings View Post
Anyone else replay the Leilei magic sword scene while playing Unlimited blade works theme in the background?
No, but I had Megumin's chuuni theme from KonoSuba going in the back of my head. "Fufufu... My name is Lelei! An arch-wizard, and one who controls Explosion magic, the strongest of all offensive magics!"

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2016-02-08 at 07:23.
Old 2016-02-08, 06:04   Link #56
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Late in the party, but I'm glad that Lt. Itami and his party defeated the Fire Dragon, although it's sad that Yao's tribe wasn't so lucky.

On the other hand, the JSDF did a great job of scaring the shit out of Giselle by killing both young wyverns!
Old 2016-02-08, 07:19   Link #57
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
young wyverns!
Actually no, those were baby dragoons.

Kids of that one red flame dragoon that was just killed.
Old 2016-02-08, 10:05   Link #58
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
LOL... "Is everybody all right?" "Yeah." Well, not any of the other dark elves you took with you... The lucky ones died immediately from being crushed, eaten, or dismembered. A few of them might have actually survived being burnt or hit with the RPG backblow if you hadn't run off and left them...
The guys who would survive not just the flame dragon but also the pile of C4 that was enough to kill said dragon? The explosion basically covered that entire nesting cliff, so I don't really think anyone's surviving that. Not that surprising he was full sprint after setting it up, and trying to get the guys to run (like the guy with the sword who started swinging when the dragon was down while Itami was trying to get him and Yao to back off).

Asking the people who had made it through if they're "All right" seems only natural. And FYI, he knew the mission was suicidal, it's the reason he didn't bring his squad. Not only did the dragon get the drop on them, but Itami technically died if not for Rory, so I doubt he was surprised the dark elves didn't make it through. And while they skipped it in the anime, he does close the eyes of one of the dark elves that died in front of him. Saying he just run and left them is acting like he's some cold heartless bastard, when the entire situation was pretty desperate.
Old 2016-02-08, 19:26   Link #59
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
It seems that when you fire those "Iron cocks" ( xD ), some sort of small explosion/incineration is created in the back of the shooter.
The Panzerfaust fires a solid "counter mass" (counterweight) out the back of the tube to balance the recoil of the rocket being launched forward. Itami actually mentions this to the Dark Elves when he's explaining how they work (about 4:20 in the episode). RPG-7 launchers don't use this counterweight system but they are easily reloadable unlike the Panzerfausts which are effectively single-shot devices.
Old 2016-02-08, 22:18   Link #60
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
The guys who would survive not just the flame dragon but also the pile of C4 that was enough to kill said dragon? The explosion basically covered that entire nesting cliff, so I don't really think anyone's surviving that. Not that surprising he was full sprint after setting it up, and trying to get the guys to run (like the guy with the sword who started swinging when the dragon was down while Itami was trying to get him and Yao to back off).

Asking the people who had made it through if they're "All right" seems only natural. And FYI, he knew the mission was suicidal, it's the reason he didn't bring his squad. Not only did the dragon get the drop on them, but Itami technically died if not for Rory, so I doubt he was surprised the dark elves didn't make it through. And while they skipped it in the anime, he does close the eyes of one of the dark elves that died in front of him. Saying he just run and left them is acting like he's some cold heartless bastard, when the entire situation was pretty desperate.
The remarks—mine, and presumably others'—are more in response to the way the scene was presented, than any judgment of Itami. We've seen enough of him to know he's not some "heartless bastard", but the differences between the anime version and the manga version (no opinion on the novel version, since I haven't read it) do seem to make his anime version look like the worst parody of Captain Kirk ignoring the latest batch of dead red shirts, thanks to his non-mission-oriented interactions with the hapless dark elves being almost entirely excised for time, in addition to the ambiguity of phrasing in his first statement after they left the caldera.

This arc really needed another episode to be adapted properly. The manga version of this battle (chapters 44 and 45 for anyone who's interested, 46 for the Giselle stuff) is some of the best action ever put to print, but the couple chapters before, most lost in adaptation, are what properly frame it. The anime version was probably done as well as it could have been given the time constraints, but outside of the technical quality, the only real highlights were Lelei's and Tuka's critical moments. And that's not even counting the emotional investment lost from what was cut this season prior to the fire dragon operation, but I'm frankly glad that angst didn't drag out as long as it could have.