Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-12-20, 20:40   Link #381
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Well I would just turn it off and run the HEN or whatever it was called again; wasn't too difficult... anyways that's long since been circumvented. You can turn off a 3000 now while retaining custom firmware.
I see....

how long did it take roughly for the solution to come out?
Old 2011-12-20, 20:42   Link #382
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
The stand by....

People around here couldn't fully crack the 3000, thus had to be permanently in that mode and charging batteries most of the time.
Currently you can already permanently hack your 3000 PSP. No need to leave it on standby mode anymore.
You may want to try to google for it, though. The site provide method and tutorial disappeared without a warning.

Btw, how easy to crack the PSP is shouldn't be considered as one of the plus points.

Back on topic, even though I think it's too soon to decide between the Vita and 3DS, my initial impression toward the Vita is already better than the 3DS based on what it can do.
Old 2011-12-20, 20:44   Link #383
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I see....

how long did it take roughly for the solution to come out?
I'm not sure... maybe a year ago? Before that there were easier ways to load the temporary firmware so one didn't have to leave it in standby if they were willing to take a couple seconds to run it.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 14:23   Link #384
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Uhh... I don't really notice much of a difference at all. And even if there is... does perhaps a $5-10 difference here and there matter so much that you'd play totally different games than you might have? I mean, wow. What a paltry thing to base your decision on when there are so many other more relevant factors. Like, say, what games you like to play. lol
$5-10? I'm talking more $10-20 difference and considering I'm in Europe I should fix that to €10-20 which is a substantially larger difference!

And I wasn't talking about the release pricing but the pricing one or two years down the line. Currently the DS doesn't even have any Nintendo Selects games and the Wii has a paltry 9 according to Wikipedia. Add to that the fact that retailers tend to not discount Nintendo games around here while Sony games get regular sales and it's more than enough to tilt the decision in Sony's favor.

As for the games I like to play it's a non-issue: I'm a pretty avid gamer and enjoy a wide span of titles on every platform so I can usually find more than enough games on any given console to completely overwhelm me. With that in mind the price factor becomes again the deciding one and we're back to square one. As much as I would love to play the next Phoenix Wright on the 3DS I just can't afford paying full price for it when I can get the Vita version of Uncharted for half-price when it inevitably gets added to the Platinum line of games.
Old 2011-12-21, 14:57   Link #385
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
$5-10? I'm talking more $10-20 difference and considering I'm in Europe I should fix that to €10-20 which is a substantially larger difference!
If numbers serve or if they haven't changed since the leak in November, that difference will be made up by the PSV's proprietary memory system (as it has no built in memory) where the prices per gigabyte are as bad if not worse than the $/GB for Xbox360 proprietary hard drives. You're going to pay 30$ for 4GB, or 120$ for 32GB, where the equivalent for what the 3DS requires (mSDHC) costs anywhere between 5$ to 60$ depending on speed/brand and size.

4GB won't hold more than 16 DS games (in their entirety, not just saves nor am I talking about 3DS), its going to hold much less than that for the PSV (again, full games that are downloaded/put on memory, not just saves).

This isn't only a price per game issue with these competing systems. If you were to buy both systems right now, the 3DS (at a regular price of 150$, ignoring all deals at 100$ point that appear) would be about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the PSVita (at its current price of 300$ for the full deal and with no memory), which is about a difference of somewhere between 150$ and 200$.

You're not going to be buying the PSVita for a cheaper price, you're going to be buying it for the fact that its a PS3 in your hands.
Old 2011-12-21, 15:01   Link #386
jedinat

Quote:

And I wasn't talking about the release pricing but the pricing one or two years down the line. Currently the DS doesn't even have any Nintendo Selects games and the Wii has a paltry 9 according to Wikipedia. Add to that the fact that retailers tend to not discount Nintendo games around here while Sony games get regular sales and it's more than enough to tilt the decision in Sony's favor.
Well this isn't true at all around here (US) as far as I know. And I was referring to pricing down the line. Heck Dragon Quest IX, arguably the biggest title on the DS, is on sale for $5 right now.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 15:17   Link #387
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
If numbers serve or if they haven't changed since the leak in November, that difference will be made up by the PSV's proprietary memory system (as it has no built in memory) where the prices per gigabyte are as bad if not worse than the $/GB for Xbox360 proprietary hard drives. You're going to pay 30$ for 4GB, or 120$ for 32GB, where the equivalent for what the 3DS requires (mSDHC) costs anywhere between 5$ to 60$ depending on speed/brand and size.
i personally hoping a company will sell generic ver for a lot less ro come up with a adaptor for the vita cards so that you can use regular micro sd cards.
Old 2011-12-21, 15:22   Link #388
amasposu

http://andriasang.com/comzel/psp_vita_comparison/

I'm quite impressed by the PSP vs Vita comparison. My problem is, the Vita is not only bigger than my PSP-3000 but it also has a shorter battery life. I will probably wait until a second or third generation comes out before buying one.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 15:28   Link #389
Sides

Quote:
Well this isn't true at all around here (US) as far as I know. And I was referring to pricing down the line. Heck Dragon Quest IX, arguably the biggest title on the DS, is on sale for $5 right now.
Well there is a big difference. The loses in case of DQIX are sucked up by the retailers, whereas budget reprints are shipped at a lower price to the retailers.
With sony focusing more and more on using PSN distribution for PSV games, I really doubt we will see many budget reprints this time around. This will give publisher and sony more control for pricing, meaning some devs will probably be happy by that, since retailers have been notorious in devaluing good games, because they don't sell as quick as they want them to, and hence trying to clear up the storage space for the new big thing by dumping the price.

Just read that the PSV sold half of it first shipment during its launch week (2 days counted, just like 3DS). It is not bad for such an expensive device.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 15:40   Link #390
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I have a question, is it worth it to buy a PS Vita right now, if you already own a PSP?

(I own a PSP 3000, System Update 6.40)

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 15:45   Link #391
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
I have a question, is it worth it to buy a PS Vita right now, if you already own a PSP?

(I own a PSP 3000, System Update 6.40)
unless you are into hacking or having the latest gadgets, i would just wait for the 2nd gen. there would also be more games available and 3rd party accessories (memory card) would make the overall cost less.
Old 2011-12-21, 15:50   Link #392
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i personally hoping a company will sell generic ver for a lot less ro come up with a adaptor for the vita cards so that you can use regular micro sd cards.
I am hoping for this too but I have yet to see anything concrete taking shape. This isn't going to be the same (or as easy) as the Xbox360 case where it was just a 2.5" form factor hard drive in a fancy case.
Old 2011-12-21, 16:05   Link #393
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Unless you are into hacking or having the latest gadgets, I would just wait for the second generation.

There would be more games available and third party accessories (batteries and memory cards) would make the overall cost less.
Fixed...but yeah, you've got a point, my mommy is not "made of money" anyways.

Old 2011-12-21, 16:09   Link #394
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

considering the vita is suppose to be a portable ps3. For the ps4 is sony should design it like a laptop which would solve the whole portable and non-portable issue.
Old 2011-12-21, 16:18   Link #395
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Question

Quote:
considering the vita is suppose to be a portable ps3. For the ps4 is sony should design it like a laptop which would solve the whole portable and non-portable issue.
Wait, if the PS Vita is supposed to be a portable PS3, then why would it have memory cards ?

Old 2011-12-22, 17:02   Link #396
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

4GB won't hold more than 16 DS games (in their entirety, not just saves nor am I talking about 3DS), its going to hold much less than that for the PSV (again, full games that are downloaded/put on memory, not just saves).

This isn't only a price per game issue with these competing systems. If you were to buy both systems right now, the 3DS (at a regular price of 150$, ignoring all deals at 100$ point that appear) would be about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the PSVita (at its current price of 300$ for the full deal and with no memory), which is about a difference of somewhere between 150$ and 200$.

You're not going to be buying the PSVita for a cheaper price, you're going to be buying it for the fact that its a PS3 in your hands.
Fair enough but, like others have mentioned, I'm hopping we'll get to the same situation as with the PSP where you can get an cheap adapter to a more standard type of memory card down the line. I'm also not buying it right away but yes, I'll give you that the 3DS is a much cheaper up front cost than the Vita currently even if I still stand by my games pricing reasons.

Quote:
I'm guessing I should risk importing some more games from the US then. Dragon Quest IX is selling all the way from 20 to €40 here.
Old 2011-12-22, 17:08   Link #397
amasposu

I'm not too worried about the Vita memory card. As long as they are physically big enough, a memory card adapter for micro sd can be made, similar to the MS Pro Duo adapter for the PSP (they are so affordable considering how cheap 16 gig micro sd cards are).
Old 2011-12-22, 17:46   Link #398
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Fair enough but, like others have mentioned, I'm hopping we'll get to the same situation as with the PSP where you can get an cheap adapter to a more standard type of memory card down the line. I'm also not buying it right away but yes, I'll give you that the 3DS is a much cheaper up front cost than the Vita currently even if I still stand by my games pricing reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisui View Post
I'm not too worried about the Vita memory card. As long as they are physically big enough, a memory card adapter for micro sd can be made, similar to the MS Pro Duo adapter for the PSP (they are so affordable considering how cheap 16 gig micro sd cards are).
The issue isn't the adapters being made, really, (inevitably some knock off brand will come around) its what steps Sony takes against them post production. There are two issues here: (1) Sony loses money on a system that they are already selling at a loss, (2) the moment you can actually control the card (mSDHC/SDHC) is the moment you can easily root, pirate, and, in general, turn the PSV into whatever you might like.

I'll be very surprised if they don't fight this very aggressively either through updates that check hardware (usually meaning, that like the PS3, the only way around it will be mod chips or them mucking up again and giving away their key to the recovery/bios) or they are going to have very specific hardware locks on what the system will actually attempt to even read from. Nintendo and Sony learned from the NDS (see: flash karts), they're not going to let the system run games only on a code check in the software. There will very likely be hardware checks.

Now can hackers get around this issue is the question if you're going to want to use 3rd party stuff.
Old 2011-12-22, 18:11   Link #399
amasposu

Quote:
The issue isn't the adapters being made, really, (inevitably some knock off brand will come around) its what steps Sony takes against them post production. There are two issues here: (1) Sony loses money on a system that they are already selling at a loss, (2) the moment you can actually control the card (mSDHC/SDHC) is the moment you can easily root, pirate, and, in general, turn the PSV into whatever you might like.

I'll be very surprised if they don't fight this very aggressively either through updates that check hardware (usually meaning, that like the PS3, the only way around it will be mod chips or them mucking up again and giving away their key to the recovery/bios) or they are going to have very specific hardware locks on what the system will actually attempt to even read from. Nintendo and Sony learned from the NDS (see: flash karts), they're not going to let the system run games only on a code check in the software. There will very likely be hardware checks.

Now can hackers get around this issue is the question if you're going to want to use 3rd party stuff.
What are you talking about? Are you suggesting that the appearance of memory card adapters will directly lead into piracy? The posts you are quoting are talking about how expensive the Vita accessories are.

Either you are quoting the wrong posts or you are a master at employing fallacious slippery slope arguments.
Old 2011-12-22, 18:15   Link #400
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisui View Post
What are you talking about? Are you suggesting that the appearance of memory card adapters will directly lead into piracy? The posts you are quoting are talking about how expensive the Vita accessories are.

Either you are quoting the wrong posts or you are a master at employing fallacious slippery slope arguments.
I'm talking about why Sony would fight third party memory cards (as a possibility). They expect to recoup their losses in part from the price that you pay for the memory card, and they are also going to want to fight piracy (and probably rooting, if the PS3 is any indication of their stance). The main issue is the money they are losing on third party gear, the piracy/rooting is a secondary issue but it is an issue none the less.

Tags
playstation, vita, vita tv