Notices

Old 2013-09-29, 00:20   Link #761
shadow1296

Old 2013-09-29, 08:32   Link #762
Kreceir

Old 2013-09-30, 11:25   Link #763
shadow1296

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-03, 17:47   Link #764
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

RWBY episode 12 Jaundice Part 2

Well, up until the last episode, I never thought I'd say this about this series, but after this episode, I'm about ready give up on this abortion of an animated series.

Up until the last episode, I don't know if you could have found a more enthusiastic fan of this series. I had watched all of the trailers and each episode multiple times, and had thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

But with episode 11, I became thoroughly disgusted not only with the students, but also with the staff of Beacon Academy. Sure, lots of folks here made excuses for the students, attempting to justify their behaviour, but, as far as I was concerned, team RWBY and JNPR were just a bunch of cowards, not heroes.

And now with this episode, the director (that would be the "great" Monty, right?) and the writers have turned what seemed to have promised to be an innovative, if not spectacular show, into the most humdrum, boring and very clichéd High School series.

To say that I am extraordinarily disappointed would be putting it extremely lightly.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 19:23   Link #765
shadow1296

of course they had to have cardin over hear juanne and pyrrha just add more drama i mean it was enough for just pyrrha to find out but no they had to add a blackmail plot seriously, also is it just me but did pyrrha's voice actor drop quality in that scene. the thing is for that reveal scene everything else was right but only if cardin didnot over hear and did not blackmail him, would have been fine with him going to the headmaster about this and the headmaster revealing he already knew but no it had to be blackmail

Last edited by shadow1296; 2013-10-03 at 19:38.
shadow1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 19:52   Link #766
Xiyon

I'm a fan of Jaune, and much as I love the focus on him (and Pyrrha) these two weeks, I do agree that the drama feels forced. In a school like Beacon, I kinda expected things to be different from normal school.

I honestly wouldn't mind a drama that arises from Nora breaking Cardin's legs. Sure it's not the heroic thing to do, but it would involve more of the cast, and it would be something different. I hope a Rooster Teeth doesn't drag this for too long (and that it'd finish next week, though unlikely). I'm hoping for something surprising now-- even if it's no longer new.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 20:13   Link #767
GreatTeacherKen

Spoiler for episode 12:
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 20:50   Link #768
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

The Greenhaired teacher seriously sounded like Stan's Dad from South Park...
Old 2013-10-03, 21:02   Link #769
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
... also is it just me but did pyrrha's voice actor drop quality in that scene.
I didn't really notice any difference in the quality, it seemed pretty natural considering the situation, but I'm so disgusted with the episode that I'm not gonna go watch it again just to re-check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
I'm a fan of Jaune, and much as I love the focus on him (and Pyrrha) these two weeks, I do agree that the drama feels forced. In a school like Beacon, I kinda expected things to be different from normal school.
I was a fan of Jaune's, and I am still a big fan of Pyrrah's, but the so-called "drama" of a blackmailing bully is so pathetically ordinary Monty oughta be ashamed of himself. The whole aspect of Jaune being a cheater (which, like the bullying itself, is also pretty much unbelievable that the school didn't know) was a plot-twist that I did not see coming, but the bully blackmailer is just to, hmm, corny I think is the word I want to use.

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't mind a drama that arises from Nora breaking Cardin's legs.
I wouldn't mind seeing Nora breaking one and Pyrrah breaking the other.

Quote:
I hope a Rooster Teeth doesn't drag this for too long (and that it'd finish next week, though unlikely).
Last week I thought that they might tidy this farce up with this episode, since we were informed of an upcoming tournament, for which I would have thought they would have spent the rest of the episodes on. Plus, there are supposedly only four more episodes to go for this "season" of RWBY. But no, they are going to waste at least another episode on this joke plot. Of course this will probably be the overriding plot for the next four episodes since Jaune doesn't have the necessary male anatomy to man-up and do the only thing that would cut this crap short: confess his sins to Professor Ozzie.

Quote:
I'm hoping for something surprising now-- even if it's no longer new.
Well, considering the surprise we got with this episode, I don't think I'd be wishing for any more surprises, new or not, since, like this episode, another surprise might just drag this show deeper through the muck and mire of poor writing and directing.
Old 2013-10-03, 22:16   Link #770
shadow1296

i think the most problem with the scene was it happened to early,well that and the blackmailing, it should have happened later or before the assault on beacon which we all know is going to happen, and by before i mean right before like pyrrha's about to leave and she notices the assault starting
Old 2013-10-04, 00:45   Link #771
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Treating the bullying issues like a cliche is neither the problem of the episode nor of Monty.
Bullying happens everywhere, and I'm a bit impressed that the writing staff added this facet of school life in Beacon. Besides, Beacon — battle training institution aside — is a school.

Cardin continues to get on my nerves as a victim of bullying myself, and now, he has Jaune right where he wants him. Phyrra's clearly concerned about him, but she needs to make the next move to save Jaune count while avoiding a scandal in the process.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 03:10   Link #772
CBredbeard
Banned

This was a great episode.

History was my favorite class in school and Bartholomew is officially my favorite faculty member. He actually disciplined Jeane and Biff. Rather than disrupt the flow of his lesson, he has them wait afterwards to give them a piece of his mind.

The lesson itself was also interesting. We learned a fair amount about Faunas, that they used to be isolated to one area on the planet, and that they fought and won a war for freedom...which as we know hasn't turned out like they'd hoped. They might have been allowed to leave the enclosure, but the laws and business practices pertaining to them were just as restrictive. The cage grew a bit, but it's still a cage.

Also, that they have night vision could lead to a certain someone slinking around at night to put a certain other someone in their place if you know what I mean?

The roof was a very romantic setting. I know if I were Jeane, I'd be thinking of something other then training if a cute girl were to lead me to a dark, isolated place to be alone. I'd be feeling pretty darn special under those circumstances...which is probably why it came as such a blow to him to have Pyrrha offer to train him. He was high and then knocked low.

I kind of hope that Pyrrha holds the fact that he lied and rejected her offer against him. She is one of the top students at Beacon. She has worked her butt off to be where she is. What she's achieved, she has gained through hard work and probably no small degree of personal risk. In fact, all of the students at Beacon have put their lives on the line to be where they are. For him to sneak in and try to claim what others have likely died to attain, it's really beneath contempt.

Worst yet, she has been nothing but supportive of him. Even after admitting he'd lied, she might have still helped him if he hadn't rejected her offer so selfishly. Suffice to say, I really hope they're on the rocks. She should turn him in, but I'd settle for refusing to even look at him, let alone speak with him.

Of course, she is just sweet enough that she might forgive him right out. Who's to say?

Now, obviously some of you think the blackmail is bad. I disagree. Clearly what Biff was doing to Jeane wasn't enough to instigate anything. Jeane was just taking it on the shoulder and carrying on. Now that Biff has something to hold Jeane to, he can compel him to do whatever he wants. Even, let's say for example...hurt someone?
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 07:31   Link #773
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

first bullying now blackmailing........this show started out great..........now its just pathetic to watch. looks like its only gonna get worse from now on too
Old 2013-10-04, 07:58   Link #774
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

well.. bullying to blackmail... I hate this though

just admit your lie, Jaune... and stop pushing Pyrrah away... she's nice, ya know?
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 08:29   Link #775
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
i think the most problem with the scene was it happened to early,well that and the blackmailing, it should have happened later or before the assault on beacon which we all know is going to happen, and by before i mean right before like pyrrha's about to leave and she notices the assault starting
Huh? I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. The academy is going to get attacked? When was this stated, or even implied? And by whom or what? I suppose I coulda been too busy fuming over the current trend of the show to have noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Treating the bullying issues like a cliche is neither the problem of the episode nor of Monty.
Bullying happens everywhere, and I'm a bit impressed that the writing staff added this facet of school life in Beacon. Besides, Beacon — battle training institution aside — is a school.
Yup, another justification for poor writing and directing. Is it believable that a school which has surveillance of every nook and cranny of a forest, as well, apparently, as the city itself, doesn't have the ability to detect when students are getting bullied, and then do nothing about it? Did Glynda not notice a locker being launched right in front of her own eyes? I am willing to suspend dis-belief for a lot of things that this series has to offer, but this aspect is just too absurd.

Quote:
Cardin continues to get on my nerves as a victim of bullying myself, and now, he has Jaune right where he wants him. Phyrra's clearly concerned about him, but she needs to make the next move to save Jaune count while avoiding a scandal in the process.
As far as I'm concerned right now, Jaune deserves all the misery he gets. Whether he suffers miserably at the whim of Cardin's blackmail, or gets horribly maimed or even killed during the tournament, or loses the affection and kindness of Pyrrah, or gets thrown out of the academy, he's got no one to blame but himself. He's a cheater, a wimp, a loser, and a jerk all rolled into one. Unfortunately, it's pretty much assured that he's not going to get thrown out of the academy. I'm now pretty much convinced that that male figure in the statue that Jaune keeps staring at every episode is [one of] the founder[s] of the academy, and is probably his great, great, great grandfather on his mother's side, who probably had the maiden name of Beacon, hence the name of the school.
Old 2013-10-04, 08:45   Link #776
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Huh? I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. The academy is going to get attacked? When was this stated, or even implied? And by whom or what? I suppose I coulda been too busy fuming over the current trend of the show to have noticed.
The theory is that Roman Torchwick is going to attack during the tournament.

Quote:
Yup, another justification for poor writing and directing. Is it believable that a school which has surveillance of every nook and cranny of a forest, as well, apparently, as the city itself, doesn't have the ability to detect when students are getting bullied, and then do nothing about it?
Just because they have the forest under surveillance doesn't mean the same for the school itself.

Quote:
Did Glynda not notice a locker being launched right in front of her own eyes? I am willing to suspend dis-belief for a lot of things that this series has to offer, but this aspect is just too absurd.
You're missing the point of bullying, if the bullied party doesn't ask for help, it's not going to get better.

Even if she did notice, if Cardin says they were playing around and Jaune agrees, what can she do?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 08:53   Link #777
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Yup, another justification for poor writing and directing. Is it believable that a school which has surveillance of every nook and cranny of a forest, as well, apparently, as the city itself, doesn't have the ability to detect when students are getting bullied, and then do nothing about it? Did Glynda not notice a locker being launched right in front of her own eyes? I am willing to suspend dis-belief for a lot of things that this series has to offer, but this aspect is just too absurd.
Huntsmen are not children to be pampered. The teaching staff considers every single moment inside the academy as a sort of training for real life as people and as Huntsmen. They cannot intervene every time something comes up. That's not what being a Huntsman is all about.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned right now, Jaune deserves all the misery he gets. Whether he suffers miserably at the whim of Cardin's blackmail, or gets horribly maimed or even killed during the tournament, or loses the affection and kindness of Pyrrah, or gets thrown out of the academy, he's got no one to blame but himself. He's a cheater, a wimp, a loser, and a jerk all rolled into one. Unfortunately, it's pretty much assured that he's not going to get thrown out of the academy. I'm now pretty much convinced that that male figure in the statue that Jaune keeps staring at every episode is [one of] the founder[s] of the academy, and is probably his great, great, great grandfather on his mother's side, who probably had the maiden name of Beacon, hence the name of the school.
I can really sense your hate on Jaune in this post.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 09:16   Link #778
Tormenk

I'm no fan of the situation Jaune is in or the current stage this show is in but it's too early to condemn it after one(two?) unfavorable episodes. I'll just take it as necessary development for Jaune's character since the second half of this season might be shaping up into Jaune's turn in the spotlight.

Jaune's self-absorbed over his inability which has been properly built up thus far, which seems to me fair justification for his rejection of Pyrrha's help even if isn't ideal. He can't stand to be relying off the others' expense and isn't going to change his position even with reassurance as Ruby or Weiss did. It'll probably take a dire situation to make forceful change in his disposition later on.

As cliched and intolerable the issues may be to the individual viewer, the issue and the characters' reactions are deserving of their status as characters who have much to learn and change. They may be the heroes of the show but still very much humanly so.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 09:22   Link #779
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

That forest was test and it lasted limited amount of time and with only first years students. Do you realy think teachers are free monitour three times as much people 24/7? That's stupidiest argument I ever heard, even comming from you.

Quote:
He does deserve that, he is cheater and wimp. But wanting resolve his problems on his own is not something looser would do. As long as one has some pride even if misplaced he is not looser. Though with Cardin having his secrets that pride is going to be torn apart quickly. I will wait how it will goes before writing Jaune off.

As long as he give Cardin sound beating in the end all is good.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 09:32   Link #780
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
The theory is that Roman Torchwick is going to attack during the tournament.
Yup, I musta been asleep at the keyboard. Would you mind terribly pointing out when it was stated or implied that Torchwick's target was specifically the academy. As far as Torchwick's map goes, the academy did not appear as a specific target.

Quote:
Just because they have the forest under surveillance doesn't mean the same for the school itself.
Every nook and cranny of the forest and the city itself, but not the academy? That's laughable. Oh, yes, possible, but still very laughable.

Quote:
You're missing the point of bullying, if the bullied party doesn't ask for help, it's not going to get better.
That sounds like the attitude of an actual bully who knows he can get away with it. Attitudes like that are what also contribute to the bullying problem itself. If a student is obviously being bullied (such as Velvet) and nobody does anything at all about it, those nobodies are just as guilty as the bully himself, especially the staff of the academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
I'm no fan of the situation Jaune is in or the current stage this show is in but it's too early to condemn it after one(two?) unfavorable episodes. I'll just take it as necessary development for Jaune's character since the second half of this season might be shaping up into Jaune's turn in the spotlight.
I haven't written off the series yet, but with only four more episodes to go, this season is far more than half over, and the director and staff could be doing better things with the show than this. While it is true that Jaune needs a lot more character development than the rest of the two main teams to bring him up to snuff, so to speak, I think his development should have been handled in more innovative and less clichéd fashion.

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby