Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-09, 21:45   Link #1
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Talking Bleach Interviews

Quote:
This thread is to post all the valid Bleach Interviews you come across I have a few will post them later

This was published in the Vibes Book MelodyMix was sweet enough to translate it for us . Credits Goto her for bringing this to us

Quote:

* Kubo-Sensei makes sure he watches anime every week. Morita-san, do you buy Jump every week as well?

M – Yes. Every Monday I read it at the Convenience store

K – You buy it with your own money?

M - Of course! *laughs* what, can I get one for free? I’ve been buying Jump since year 2 (7~8 years old in Japan), with my own money *laughs*

* Ever since you voiced Ichigo, have you changed the way you read Jump?

M – It did change. When I read Bleach now I get really nervous. I go home, take a bath, and prepare myself to read *laugh*

K – It’s like a script *laugh*

M – It is like a script! I read before going to bed, making sure the area around me is quiet. Being a voice actor, first impressions are always important when reading a script. That’s why I make sure I’m in a quiet area so I can concentrate.

* Favourite character?

M – People ask me that a lot. This also applies to real life as well but there are humans with different background stories, and when those humans interact a story is born. They present this very well in this manga so reading it is always fun. That’s why whenever someone asks me “Who is your favourite character?” I really don’t know the answer since they are all unique. But when they tell me to chose one I couldn’t think of anyone but the character I’m voicing, so I would answer Ichigo Kurosaki. Oh, and maybe Rangiku Matsumoto too

K - *laughs* Awesome. It was interesting listening to your answer. You really do read it carefully.

* There is an image of Ichigo Kurosaki that is inside Sensei (Kubo) and inside Morita-san. Is there any scene you thought both your image of Ichigo was well presented?

M – I think the part where Renji and Ichigo roared out in synchro. Ichigo and Renji’s relationship is very interesting, that you can’t put it in words. They are rivals yet friends. Like if you are spelling out ‘enemy’ but you read it as ‘friends’ *laughs*. An amazing person called Kentarou Itou does this role (Renji’s voice) and because of this, that “TO MY SOUL!” speech made me think that those two (Ichigo and Renji) has unleased themselves using words. That speech was extremely hot. It was a very memorable scene as well.

(On this page there is a tiny screen cap, where Renji and Ichigo both shouted “TO MY SOUL!” and next to the screen cap it says “The scream of the soul. Episode 52, For Rukia, they have once fought against each other with their swords – Now they scream with their soul.)

M - Inside themselves they are doing ‘Gatsu-Pose’ but they would never tell anyone about it * laughs * (this means, they act tough and strong on the inside but they would never tell anyone about it). Playing Ichigo Kurosaki, there are ways I want him to say stuffs. Like if I want to put my own taste in him, or put my own thoughts about this character inside him. During the Grand Fisher arc, the part where he met Rukia in the forest, Sensei also found this scene memorable but the scene where he is mumbling out his words. In that scene there was this taste I wanted to present in his sentence

* What was his sentence?

K – The part where Rukia told Ichigo that a Hollow might have killed his mum, right?

M – The part where he said “なんでもねーよ” and “残念でした” and left

K – In that scene when I first saw it on TV, I was so thrilled I actually got goose bumps. Morita-san put his own taste inside Ichigo and that made me really proud. I was very thankful and made me want to listen to it. And because of that, my image of Ichigo was different to his and made that scene really deep. I was really thrilled. That time I really thought making an anime is an awesome thing to do.

M – While reading a script an image just popped up into my mind. Even if Ichigo was just mumbling out his words I wanted to put my all into it because I wanted to show how I want to voice Ichigo Kurosaki and my image of him. I wanted to show Ichigo is a normal high school boy. The taste I wanted to show in that scene was how normal Ichigo is.

K – He did a good job

* If it gave you goose bumps then that ‘image’ of Ichigo must have been powerful?

K – I guess you’re right. I’m happy with anime following the manga but what makes me even happier is making me think “Oh, so that’s how it’s shown” when watching the anime. That time, Ichigo’s attitude made me think “Oh, so that’s how Ichigo expresses himself”

M – That scene was a pretty normal scene, but that’s why it was so important and shows Ichigo’s character very well. Ichigo is pretty blunt and usually speaks few words. Even the time when he rescues Rukia, all he says is “Yo!”

K – “Saying that “Yo!” was an important bit in that scene. Ichigo was a normal high school boy who turned into a Shinigami. Him being a Shinigami isn’t that main point. So I wanted to express that in that scene. Ichigo isn’t very talkative. Even the time with Renji, all he says is “ああ” (referring to episode 32)

M – That speech really got to me. He was listening to Renji’s story you couldn’t help but cry. But he has to say something back to him so he said “ああ”. After I finished voicing that scene I was so worried if my voice turned out right that I couldn’t even watch it on air.

K – That episode was really amazing! Renji and Rukia. Watching those two was truly amazing and Morita-san’s speech “ああ” was amazing too. In that episode Orikasa-san (Rukia’s voice actor) said she got very emotional while doing that scene where Renji’s hand’s were on Rukia’s shoulder and says “ああ そうかありがとう” while letting go of his hands. I was thrilled, listening to the way she said “そうか”

M – That Rukia’s sentence “そうか” affects her relationship with Renji later in the episode so unless she puts a lot of emotions into it, it would sound plain and unimportant.

K – There are bits in the manga where I draw scene that wouldn’t get the reader’s attention too much. I always put all my effort into my manga but how each audience read my manga are different. So it’s really important to make sure they would end up all having a similar idea of my story, but then again, it’s really up to them how they read the manga, but then there are scenes where I want the audience to be touched, so it’s really hard.

M – The creators want everything to seem natural.

* Where is your goal aimed at?

M - Voice actors are always living under the rules. Firstly, there is a rule called “Script” and inside the script there are lines you have to read. And there are also director’s rules. But inside those rules I want voice actors to be able to find a place where they can be free and express themselves. And when you find that space I don’t care whether it’s small or big, as long as it’s a place where they can play around then it’s okay. The director says “Instead of thinking “Oh no, what should I do?” you should try and find an route where you can escape, and when you find that route you think, “This is it!” and truly express yourself”. I want a place where I can spread my wings, and still continue working on Bleach while my wings are spread. I really think my wings can still get bigger. My wings aren’t fully opened yet. It can still spread and grow. I truly think Bleach is an enjoyable masterpiece that I would die for.

K – You must be number one fan of Bleach. Maybe you love Bleach more than me * laughs *

* Any words to your fans?

M - a movie has been decided to be released. And I hope you are all able to see a new Ichigo after returning from Soul Society.

Credits : MelodyMix
Old 2007-11-12, 12:23   Link #2
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Awesome interview by Kubo-sensei of Morita-san (at least thats what it felt like). Sometimes, these Q&A sessions focus on telling us more about the people who bring Bleach to us each and every week. But this one emphasized how seriously Morita-san takes his work, and the insights he has into Bleach, particularly Kurosaki Ichigo's character.

I especially appreciated his point about how a story is all about interaction of characters, rather than each one playing out separately. A lot of us analyze characters like Orihime, Ichigo, Rukia, Byakuya etc in isolation. But its only when you look at them through the aspect of relationships, that one can get a better perspective. What intrigued me most was this quote:

Quote:
Ichigo and Renji’s relationship is very interesting, that you can’t put it in words. They are rivals yet friends. Like if you are spelling out ‘enemy’ but you read it as ‘friends’ *laughs*. An amazing person called Kentarou Itou does this role (Renji’s voice) and because of this, that “TO MY SOUL!” speech made me think that those two (Ichigo and Renji) have unleashed themselves using words. That speech was extremely hot. It was a very memorable scene as well.
I remember once again why IchigxRenji has its yaoi fans .
Old 2007-11-12, 13:03   Link #3
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Because Yaoi fans are ususaly messed up and look too deep into same sex friendships.

Truth no false lies .. don't denie it yaoi fans...
Old 2007-11-12, 20:16   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

All Manga kas favor Yaoifangirls
Old 2007-11-13, 02:21   Link #5
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
All Manga kas favor Yaoifangirls
Shounen Mangas are AIMED at yaoi fangirls...Guys watch mecha or harem.
Plus, KT have always been suspected to be a (yaoi)fanboy.
Old 2007-11-13, 02:30   Link #6
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Firstly credits goto MelodyMix for finding and translating this interview I made an error and posted it before her

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
Shounen Mangas are AIMED at yaoi fangirls...Guys watch mecha or harem.Plus, KT have always been suspected to be a (yaoi)fanboy.
I sure KT is one .... it was suspect when KT made Renji's relationship with Byakuya so deep and touching . Then he added Yumichika Luppi to the story and now
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2007-11-15, 02:25   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Shonen Jump interview from 2006:

Quote:

* Shonen Jump: How did you get into creating manga?
- Tite Kubo : The summer of my third year if high school was the first time I’d ever written a manga. I didn’t have any experience or knowledge of how to draw manga – I didn’t know you were supposed to draw rough pages first, so I just drew directly on the paper and submitted to Weekly Shonen Jump for a contest. I didn’t win, but I got a phone call from one of the editors who suggested we work together.

* SJ : Which comes first, the story or the art?
- TK : Of course, it’s either the pictures, or the characters – sometimes I have ideas for the characters’ appearances, or sometimes their personality. Once you get those characters set, then the story kind of moves on by itself. The key thing is that I come to love the characters, as if they re real.

* SJ : If you weren’t a manga-ka, what else would you do?
- TK: Industrial design, architecture – I never studied them, but I’m very interested in them.

* SJ : What are Rukia’s favourite manga?
- TK : She loves horror manga, shojo-orientated horror titles. She’s from the afterlife, but there’s actually nothing scary to read in the afterlife.

* SJ : How involved are you in making the Bleach animated series?
- TK : I’m involved with the character designs. Usually the character designs are done with manga artists just overseeing, but in my case I actually draw what all the characters should look like. I am essentially drawing all of the characters that appear in the anime. It is very rare for the artist to be involved this much.

* SJ : What aould your dream cast be fore a live-action Bleach movie?
- TK : If it were possible to do Bleach as a live movie, then I wouldn’t have drawn the manga. I want to draw something that can only be done as manga.
Credits : Slev
Old 2007-11-15, 17:32   Link #8
UnderscoreX
The Post Whisperer..Shhh!

Bleach Exile has another interview with Kubo and Morita.

Spoiler for For looooooong:
Old 2007-12-07, 21:16   Link #9
T3rmina
...muso

5 noble houses?

so theres two we dont know about?
interesting.
x
Old 2007-12-12, 16:20   Link #10
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Know Your Manga Ka

This isnt exactly an interview but some info on KT

Quote:
* His popular manga Bleach has sold nearly 7 million volumes.

* He sometimes goes by the pen name "Kubotite" .

* He was born in the year of the (Fire) Snake.

* He likes total silence when working on his manga. He especially doesn’t like a radio being on.

* He purposely writes and draws manga so that it can only be done as manga or anime.

* He does not want a live action Bleach movie.

* He wrote his first manga, Zombie Powder, in his third year of high school.

* He has an interest in industrial design and architecture, and would have gone into a business involving them if he did not become a manga-ka (manga artist).

* He does the character design for the Bleach anime, which is a rarity among manga-ka.

* He is featured in an interview in Viz’s Shonen Jump March 2006, Volume 4, Issue 3.

* His zodiac sign is “cancer” .

* His favorite manga artist is Yun Kouga, creator of Loveless .

Quote:
Kubo : I never imagined when I started writing Bleach that it would eventually be published in the U.S., so I'm really glad that American readers have taken to it and enjoyed my work. Please continue to support Bleach. I've also been told that I should visit America someday.

Kubo (talking about his hit manga Bleach) : I'm the type who worries about the difference between the season in the story and season in reality. This series [Bleach] started in the summer [for the manga version]. At that time, the season in the story was the month of May. That difference has always weighed on my mind. With this volume [3], the main character Ichigo's introduction ends at last. The stage is June. Unexpectedly nice timing. If you can, please read it [volume 3 of the manga] on a rainy evening .
Credits : Scooz / Tv.com
Old 2007-12-25, 13:25   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

All Color's but Black

KT's insights on Posters

Old 2008-01-31, 01:07   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Bleach 308 Kubo Interview

Credits : Melodymix

Quote:
Hiya. There was an interview with KT on chapter 307 and I have translated a part of it. I already posted it on the IchiRuki FC but I thought I might post it here as well.

About the character. 1 Until Ichigo and Rukia were made

Okay, let’s ask about this months topic “Characters”. First of all, let’s start with our main characters Ichigo and Rukia

“The first Ichigo I drew wore glasses. He wore glasses and had black hair * laugh *
He also had kind eyes… and it looks like a different person from the Ichigo we have now”

Is it true that Rukia’s design was decided before Ichigo’s design?

“Before the story was decided a Shingami uniform popped up into my mind. Unlike the design we have now it was like a uniform from Catholic school where they wore a black jacket over a white blouse with a black bowtie… and they carried a huge scissors. I thought that was what Shinigami was like. After that, to match Rukia’s design I changed Ichigo’s character design. Like Rukia had black hair so it’s best if Ichigo didn’t have black hair.”

Cedits : Kaya

Quote:
I would love to share with everyone here with my own SJ's issue about Kubo's interview. I think everyone should read this as this interview is such a treasure and Kubo is such a darling here. In here, Kubo shown us how he works from drawing nemu to the final process, his workplace and his ipod. He is such a lover for music and a BIG inspiration to his works.

I am sorry I couldn't provide complete translations now as my japanese is not good enough, but I'm sure someone is going to provide translations later. I have to thank you first! :hug

I dedicated this to to debbiechan TEH LOVER, and to everyone who loves Kubo and Bleach dearly.

The pictures are big so please click them for larger pictures.

EDIT:
On page 2: Kubo Tite's one week work's schedule

Sunday-Tuesday: he will work with his helpers on original sketches(inking)
By Tuesday night,he must completed everything and pass to typesetter to do the words.

Wednesday
is his rest day and doing on random chores(color spreads,SJ promotion etc.)

Thursday to Saturday is his story paneling. They called those pre-sketches, "nemu" (not our nemu XD)

Sunday: More works.

Page 3(The box with ipod's pic)
The ideas are born from music?
  • BLEACH THEME MUSICS- Characters' themes
  • Espada, Fraccion and some Arrancar- their themes, for HM people
  • Kill Me Music- battle musics
  • Kiss Me Music- for tear-jerking part
  • Soul Society Commanders and sub commanders- their themes, for SS people
Anytime the music suits the styles he wants, he just add into his ipod, even western musics. Most of his titles are western musics' title, for example:
Chapter 297: "King of the Kill" is by Annihilator

The ipod is really in Jet-black.

EDIT: Page 1 brief translation
On his workplace
Kubo has an impressive and neat studio. His helpers work on the 1st floor and up the spiral stairs, his table is on 2nd floor.
"When my helpers are not around, I will move to 1st floor as working on the 2nd floor is kinda lonely.*laugh*" said Kubo.

Kubo will put little small accessories and arranged them so colorfully for his copic markers(see page 4, upper left picture. 200 copic markers!:yell I only owned 26 and they already cost me $200. )
"For the things I use, basically, I would pick clean, neat designs. For my manga tools, and for my furnitures too." Kubo replied.

Then a bit on how he created his manga weekly.

Page 2: MelodyMix more or less has translated everything there,except the parts how he works on his manga.

Page 3:More about characters designs

Page 4: On his Ipod and how musics inspired Bleach.

More coming up! :yay
Old 2008-01-31, 02:31   Link #13
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Spoiler for And here are the first sketches Kubo mentioned:
Old 2008-01-31, 02:36   Link #14
Jays

o_O

Glad to see Kubo went in another direction!
Old 2008-01-31, 02:42   Link #15
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post

And here are the first sketches Kubo mentioned

Ask me Ichi with glasses looks better adds a mysterious aura to him .
Old 2008-07-27, 11:09   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Kubo's Comic Con Interview 08

Credits : Inuhanyou

Quote:
* 1:15 PM - Kubo has entered the stage in sunglasses. Looks like a pop star or something.

*1:16 PM - Kubo presented with an award from Comic Con Int’l. From the cheers I can tell the audience just got much younger than from the preceding Transformers panel.

* 1:19 PM - 10 kids from Japan are here, Shounen Jump essay winners. Also, we will be getting limited edition posters as we leave.

* 1:20 PM - “I am very glad to see you all, thank you very much” –Kubo

* 1:22 PM - Kubo thinks this is “immensely huge” compared to Japanese events. First impressions of being in America: he had to get his passport for this. Strong sunlight makes everything colorful here.

* 1:25 PM - Has Kubo done any drawing in his time here? (He has to produce 19 pages a week, after all.) He actually worked ahead of time so he could home here. Not a procrastinator.

* 1:26 PM - Footage of his workspace. World exclusive. There are desks for his assistants as well, a big screen TV. Pictures of his chairs and metal suitcase he bought to come ovr here. A miniature TV just as decoration. A rare Bleach watch. Oddly enough, Bobobobo in some background art; he had asked a sketch/autograph exchange. The man has a vast CD collection, too (1200-1300 on a shelf; others stacked up). Picture of a kitchen, which is clean because they never cook!

* 1:32 PM - Upstairs: Kubo’s actual work area. Footage of him working with a ton of markers next to him. He’s coloring. HIs work chair was chosen based on design and he drew Aizen’s chair like it. Handing manuscripts and fan letters to his editor.

* 1:35 PM - Video portion over. Now questions from audience.

* 1:35 PM - What inspired him to become a manga artist? Decided when he was in elementary school. He became interested in architecture and design after he had already become a manga artist.

* 1:38 PM - What comes first in Bleach? : Kubo puts character, not plot, first.

* 1:39 PM - What inspired him to put Spanish/Mexican culture in Bleach? Nothing intentional with the character Chad. However, he just sensed he had a Mexican heritage. Someone in audience shouts “Viva La Raza!”

* 1:40 PM - Where does he come up with the opening drawings? He puts characters in clothes he can’t get.

* 1:40 PM - Advice for aspiring manga artists: Seems stumped…”believe in your talent.” Do something you yourself must enjoy; otherwise it’s dishonest to charge someone for your story.

* 1:41 PM - What was the initial thought for bleach? "Bleach was inspired by the fact that i wanted to draw shinigami in kimonos, and to make something no one had seen before, started with Rukia’s design."

* 1:42 PM - How did Quincy and its name come about (JEREMY’S QUESTION!): “I created Quincy to be Ichigo’s rival character, so, for that, I put him in white clothing.” He uses arrows because it’s long range, and it will be difficult for Ichigo to fight him. The Quincy name is from his five point star; in Japan this is a symbol. If you call every archer a “Quincy Archer” it sounds like a person’s name, so he liked it.

* 1:45 PM - How do you draw action scenes? Plays rock music in his head as he draws it. He pauses the action and try to swing around in 3D mentally to find the best angle.

* 1:46 PM - When did he realize he had such a big fanbase in the US? Yesterday!

* 1:47 PM - Pancha Diaz, Viz editor asks: What part of the process does he enjoy the most? When thinking of the story, if it’s something he’s been waiting to do for a while, he enjoys it very much. Usually has a scene rundown of things to draw in his head. Connecting scenes are a bit harder. Inking is also enjoyable for him.

* 1:49 PM - Pancha Diaz again: How long between drawing and publication? Between 2-3 weeks. Diaz, by contrast notes, has to do 6 months in advance.

* 1:50 PM - Will there be an Isshin backstory? Yes! He knew from the start he was a Soul Reaper.

* 1:51 PM - Three minutes left. Is the Kon doll inspired by something from his childhood? Wanted to create something fake looking, where you put random things together–like a sewing line in the middle of the face. Backstory: a father bought a cheap stuffed animal for his child, and the child threw it away because it was ugly–that’s why he is on the street.

* 1:54 PM - Idea for Hell Butterflies: Looked up in a dictionary for word that goes well with “Soul Reaper.” It is a kind of butterfly that is another name for a real butterfly species. Prefers to fly in the dark, and it fits well with the Soul Reapers.

End of panel.
Old 2008-07-27, 11:28   Link #17
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quite curious has there been a more "recent" interview lately? I know fans have a lot of questions as to whats been going on since the S.S. Arc ended. If not, has there been any news for any upcoming interviews?
Old 2008-07-27, 11:29   Link #18
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

* 1:26 PM - Footage of his workspace. World exclusive. There are desks for his assistants as well, a big screen TV. Pictures of his chairs and metal suitcase he bought to come ovr here. A miniature TV just as decoration. A rare Bleach watch. Oddly enough, Bobobobo in some background art; he had asked a sketch/autograph exchange. The man has a vast CD collection, too (1200-1300 on a shelf; others stacked up). --> Explains his chapter titles that are so often inspired by song/album names Picture of a kitchen, which is clean because they never cook!

* 1:32 PM - Upstairs: Kubo’s actual work area. Footage of him working with a ton of markers next to him. He’s coloring. HIs work chair was chosen based on design and he drew Aizen’s chair like it. --> Not the square one in HM i hope XD Handing manuscripts and fan letters to his editor.

* 1:49 PM - Pancha Diaz again: How long between drawing and publication? Between 2-3 weeks. Diaz, by contrast notes, has to do 6 months in advance. --> Time to up your efficiency then apparently.

* 1:50 PM - Will there be an Isshin backstory? Yes! He knew from the start he was a Soul Reaper. *Cheers*

Interesting stuff. Btw, didn't OD say she would be at this convention? Or did i remember wrongly
Old 2008-07-27, 13:50   Link #19
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Quite curious has there been a more "recent" interview lately? I know fans have a lot of questions as to whats been going on since the S.S. Arc ended. If not, has there been any news for any upcoming interviews?
Would you consider chapter 307 recent?
Old 2008-07-27, 14:32   Link #20
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
I appreciate the interviews you guys!
A Great read really.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Closed Thread