AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-20, 16:19   Link #1
TheLaughingMan
Nee-san is...

Send a message via AIM to TheLaughingMan
What role does the internet play in your life?

This was something I was pondering at 3 AM, lets see if I can properly express my thoughts. The question is, how deep/involved is your online life? Do you just casually post on message boards, and check your email, or do you live 3/4 of your life online? Are you drastically different in RL than you portray yourself online? A friend and I were recently commenting on how, over the years, our RL and online persona's have mixed into each other.

Another question, how much, if at all, do you value "net friends"? Is it healthy to be mainly social active online?

I will attempt to answer my own questions after I see some replies. Hopefully this isn't a dumb topic.
TheLaughingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 16:22   Link #2
GustaveElazul
Gus

~truncated~

Last edited by GustaveElazul; 2013-10-16 at 09:10.
GustaveElazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 16:34   Link #3
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustaveElazul
What there's a difference between life and the internet? Uh oh... j/k

I casually post at AnimeSuki because I saw that there were some fun discussions and nice people (I finally stopped loitering). I'm kind of the same in RL and on the internet, it depends though. I'd have to post alot more often for people to see what I'm like. I think online friends can become just as good as real life friends after awhile. The best thing to do is actually meet good online friends and become real life friends .
Too true. It works, I met one of my best friends in a chat room back in 2000. She lives half way around the world in New Zealand and we finally met this summer in person when I flew over for her wedding. We had talked on the phone and exchanged all kinds of junk by mail.

I am the same online as in rl. I do spend alot of time here cause I am at home alot and have Cable Modem so for me it is easy to be here and I like alot of the people of AS. Call me crazy but this place is addicting lol
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 16:36   Link #4
???
Unknown

Waste of time. but you get things for free and very usefull if you have a website.
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 16:40   Link #5
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I would say that I spend and obnoxious amount of time on the internet , but that doesn't mean I don't have a life outside of the net! :-P I think I show a certain light heartedness on the net that is still apart of my personality, but doesn't come out as often during the day. I sort of just let all the pressures go when I get on, and I think it's almost theroputic in a sense. I don't stay up until late hours into the night on my computer like some though. I think I'm fairly casual and resonable when it comes down to it.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 17:20   Link #6
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shabaz
How deep/involved is your online life?
--Not much, just roam around the internet when I'm bored.

Do you just casually post on message boards, and check your email, or do you live 3/4 of your life online?
--Maybe a little bit more than casual, but I definately don't spend 3/4 or even 1/2 of my life online.

Are you drastically different in RL than you portray yourself online?
--Not really, I'm pretty much the same. I like to express opinions, but am usually not too good at it.

Another question, how much, if at all, do you value "net friends"? Is it healthy to be mainly social active online?
--It's nice to talk with people over the internet about obscure hobbies, like anime, that I don't talk about in RL. In that sense, being able to communicate about something I would normally keep to myself, I think that's a good thing.
Of course when someone you meet on the internet becomes a real life friend, thats even better.
Mr. Shabaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 18:41   Link #7
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Life? What are you talking about, it IS my life!

Do you just casually post on message boards, and check your email, or do you live 3/4 of your life online?
3/4...sounds about right.

Used to, not anymore.

I'd want my online friends to end up eventually as real friend.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 21:08   Link #8
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Not that deeply, I browse 2 internet forums. One is animesuki (duh) and the other is a philosophy board. I watch a few anime series and check email, etc.

I spend most of my time working, time spent on the internet is a relaxing time for me.

I think I act pretty similar on and off the net.

I find it very easy to be friends with people off the net (just tonight I went inside this guy's house and have a chat with him like I've known him for years), maybe due to that reason I never have any particular motive or desire to make friends online. I like to think that I'd value net friends but the truth is that I never take the extra step to meet them. Also I already have a real hard time in keeping in touch of many long-time friends because everyone is so busy.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 04:07   Link #9
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

The question is, how deep/involved is your online life?
To paraphrase Homer Simpson: "Teacher, mother, secret lover..."

I think even a 1/4 would be an exageration on my part...

I'm less vocal in real life, though the same in the way I act.

Another question, how much, if at all, do you value "net friends"?
Quite a bit, only one person I'd consider a net friend though and I've talked to her for nearly 3 years now.

Is it healthy to be mainly social active online?
I see no real difference so just a matter of whatever floats your boat.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 04:20   Link #10
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan
This was something I was pondering at 3 AM, lets see if I can properly express my thoughts. The question is, how deep/involved is your online life? Do you just casually post on message boards, and check your email, or do you live 3/4 of your life online? Are you drastically different in RL than you portray yourself online? A friend and I were recently commenting on how, over the years, our RL and online persona's have mixed into each other.

I will attempt to answer my own questions after I see some replies. Hopefully this isn't a dumb topic.

hmmm im online almost 24/7

If im at home im online, even in the car im online, since i have a lap top and mobile. Im not as active on forums as i used to be, but the ones i do go on i check a few times a day.

Email i check 4 times a day.

I dont see much difference between being social active online or IRL. I've spent hours chatting to my mates and colleagues in the states, russia, china and a load of others.

I couldnt really talk to them if it wasnt for the net, since there are a few thousand miles between us, so i cant just nip down for a coffee hehehe.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 08:14   Link #11
BellaD

I usually go online just to check the mail and a few forums and i am out.. i dont chatt that much..when i got the net(cable con) yeah i did spend quite a bit off time online but after, it just got boring now i use it for research and other quickies nothing more.
Hmm...friends most of the ppl that i chatt with are just online friends... but no i never go out of my way to actually call someone on the phone or meet them(to lazy for that ^_^).I think i am less shy on the net cause i guess i dont know the ppl that i am talking to that well so i just dont care lol.
Who is the friend of all.
--
BellaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 08:37   Link #12
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Truly not, mostly animesuki, and used to be diablo2 a bit, but not much anymore

I do spend most of my time being techniclly online (MSN, ICQ, IRC, Browser..), be it at work or at home. But that doesn't mean I spend so much time actually doing something online.

No, not at all, although I've always wandered about people displaying a reallly different personality online. Some people seem to feel like they can do anything online, but I tend to still show the same amount of respect as I cannot forget that, be it off or on line, it's stilll another human being on the other end.

I've met some very nice person on the net that I'm still talking to and some of whom I'm planning to meet. My opinion on the subject is that there's nothing wrong with having an online social life, but that having an offline one as well is quite necessary too. There just are too many small things missing online ^ ^.

I think this could turn out to be an interesting thread, I've always wandered about people that are pretending to be someone/something else while online. What do they get out of it? What's the point? Do you know some? Have you practiced it yourself?
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 10:05   Link #13
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Let's see now....

Well, the internet has replaced my tv as source of entertainment. The only thing I now watch on tv is either the Discover Channel or the Food Network. I hardly read the newspaper anymore, I usually have my homepage as CNN.com so I still know what's happening in the outside world. I find that joining a forum and chatting away to be quite fun and educational. It's more interactive and I learned quite a few things I probably would not have if I was still stuck on my tv. An example would be the japanese tshirt folding post that came in real handy for me. I've got a lot of people on my IM but I have no idea who half of them are and they don't even talk to me so in short, I think it's better to get real friends. I'm like 12/7 on my computer everyday, I estimate. I think I'm the same online as I am in RL...
Old 2004-10-21, 11:16   Link #14
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
Well, the internet has replaced my tv as source of entertainment.
Me too. I don't even watch tv anymore. But i do read newspaper though.

I used to be a lurker of this forum, but now I decided to be more active because I realize that people here are nice to talk to and posting on forums is a good way to improve my writing skills.

But forums is the only thing I spend time on while I'm online. I don't use AIM or any kind of instant messenger anymore (no one wants to talk), and I only check email once per week to delete spams (no one knows my email address).

As for me in real life...I'm more reserved than I am online, but other than that I'm the same.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 11:21   Link #15
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The question should be more like "what role does anything other than the internet play in your life?"
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 11:37   Link #16
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

the internet is my lifeblood
without it, i'd be an empty shell of a man with...well i might be thinner...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 11:43   Link #17
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

OHhhhhhhh YEAH!!! I"M ADDICTED TO THE INTERNET!!!! >_< ONCE i get on I can't stop.. I'm zone in.. I do this I do that.. hehe.. and I meet diffrent ppl and I often get in trouble for staying on to long. My parents think I spend to much time on line.. then with anything or anybody else..
I also tend to worry to much.. and I talk .. I really need to stop talking.. I always tell someone something I shouldn't tell them.. and always having a friend mad at me... *sad face* I'm must up..
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 11:48   Link #18
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase

I try to get as much in as possible (You know, after the homework, school, sleep, and 2 others ho get on each day.) Not very deep due to being on about 4 hours at the maximum each day.

I don't check mail, I delete it because I get spam about stuff that I don't even want. I DON'T WANT THE STOCK MARTET REULTS! I'M NOT A FRIKKIN' ADULT! 0_o

I go on about 3 or 4 message boards regularly each day. You can bet that's a buttload of forum boards. I don't live 18 hours online each day. I don't even go online for half that time. I need to sleep too, you know.

I'm significantly different online than off. I'm extremely anti-social at my school because of the "How big is you dick?" question coming every other minute. Don't care how much you exaggerate your penis size, because you're still be an idiot.

Unlike in real life, on the internet there are real conversations that's aren't stupid beyond reason. The most intelligent conversation I've heard at my school involved something about beating up some guy after school. Whoa! Slow down! The knowledge is too much for me![/sarcasm]

Beats me. They're more intelligent then the people at my school and that's good enough for me. I perfer to be social online where no one knows just who the hell you are or what you look like. If you really felt like it you can lie about who you really are. For example:

Real life: You're a boy who works at Burger King at the age of 16
The lie: You are really a girl at the age of 22 who is a rocket scientist.

Real life: You have black hair and a hairy back and you're white with brown eyes.
The lie: You are a handsome muscular dude with brown shiny hair who is white and has blue eyes.

Real life: you have DSL and one phone in the house
The lie: You have Comcast High Speed Internet with 5 cell phones in your pocket right now.

Fake name: Masher the Black Blaze

See? Just that simple. You can take that fake name if your name is "Shelly" and you're a dude.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 12:12   Link #19
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Well, If you don't have MSN messenger, you don't have much of a social life here in NL.
The more people you have on your MSN list, the better your social life is.
And if you don't have acces to the internet, you're a freak.

But we can't be the only country like this.. right?
Old 2004-10-21, 17:00   Link #20
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy

I suppose it's very involved, considering the internet is something of a cornerstone of my life and a fundamental component of the freelance work I do. It's also a way for me to keep in touch with all kinds of people, with the news, to learn new things, to play games and to just relax. The internet almost makes my browser window a portal to an entire world of information and experience I'd never otherwise be able to even conceive of.

Hm, I discuss a lot of things online that are often important to my work and, as a journalist, I have to keep myself informed of what people think, what they feel and what they're doing and the internet is one of many fields to keep an eye on, especially since computer games aren't quite mainstream culture and their community has developed more... organically online than anywhere else. I'd like to think I'm reasonably good at multitasking too so it's easier for me to work and continue a conversation online rather than talk on the phone whilst I'm trying to type out a news piece.

No. I've not really understood why that's the case with some people. I'm probably quieter, more withdrawn and less confident in person but I feel like I'm largely the same kind of creature.

Mainly social? I'm not sure. It doesn't allow you to eat out or go to the cinema... at least not in the traditional sense. I don't think it can take over your social life but I think it can compliment it perfectly. The thing with net friends is many friends who I've made over the internet are no longer solely internet friends, they're people I've met many times and share much in common with, and many of my friends who I didn't initially meet over the internet I talk to or stay in touch with using the internet anyway. As far as I'm concerned it's just another medium for communication and the people I'm talking to are no more or less 'real' friends than any others.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote