AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2019-01-23, 13:58   Link #541
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Spoiler for Episode 3 Comments/Feedback:
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 14:06   Link #542
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

The most difficult thing watching the first parts of this series is...holding back the urge to sock those foolish 3 "heroes". Urghhh!!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 14:44   Link #543
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
Ahh finally another one that gets it! This is just the genderbent version of Yui's arc!!!

About Raph though, do they age as they gain more levels, or is it just Raph? Do loli raccoons age faster than humans? she's definitely older compared to last week!
As I understand it, and based on the smith saying approximately "dude, you don't know about demi-humans?", this is the nature of demi-humans. I suppose their lineage dealt with a lot more monsters in their homeland, and so developed a trait where children who have no one to defend them and have to fight for themselves reach adulthood quickly, thus ensuring their ability to best deal with monster attacks.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 14:52   Link #544
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

I have a friend who will occasionally point out architecture in shows or movies, and say, "That city was designed by an asshole." For example, the big glass-domed cities in space stations, or whoever made the dual-leveled city in Tiger and Bunny.

Well, I saw that church in the first shot they described it, and I have to say, that church was designed by an asshole. It looks like some sort of origami paper construct, and you have to wonder how anyone uses the upper levels.

I do have to say, it was weird when, during Naofumi's gripes about the country being full of lolicons, a bunch of street vendors were gushing over how cute Raphtalia was. Anywhere else, I wouldn't have considered it odd, but in this capital city, with active, "We do not serve demi-humans" levels of prejudice, it just felt strange. On the other hand, if these are the merchants that are willing to sell to Naofumi, maybe they're not as prejudiced against demi-humans. I suppose it shows a little that not everyone in the city is the same.

Also, Raphtalia has seemed to have picked up Naofumi's bargaining skills (or at least obsession with getting a good deal). Probably a good thing, as Naofumi just seemed depressed and not in the mood to haggle. (He had bags under his eyes pretty much the whole episode.) By a week past the dog fight, they'd gotten to 180 silver, which is a nice amount.

Also, Raphtalia is no longer wearing the slave collar; just the bracelets. She seems to still be wearing the same outfit as before. The sleeves come down to mid-forarm, instead of her wrists, and the bottom of the skirt is mid-thigh instead of knee-length. Despite the fact that the rest of the outfit shouldn't fit her, regardless, it can largely be passed off as clothes-fitting magic.

Naofumi has a ridiculous number of shields, and manifested another couple new effects: Shield Prison (handy for keeping something pinned down), and the elemental defense aura. (Side note: I'm annoyed he didn't get to go feed the Wave's boss monster to the shield.)

The fight was fairly disappointing. The action parts were good, but anytime anyone stopped to talk, it seemed like all the monsters just stopped and did literally nothing. It just felt sloppy.

Current levels by end of episode: Raphtalia is 22, and Naofumi is 19 (though they each might have made another level in the concluding fight section). The super big zombies each gave about a quarter of a level to each of them. Raphtalia continues to get more XP, ranging from +27% to +40%. Still no clear explanation on why the disparity fluctuates so much.

The level gap was still 2 levels for most of the episode, but is now in Raphtalia's favor instead of Naofumi's. That means the XP difference can't simply be due to level scaling, since if it was, it would even out when they were both at the same level. I think someone has mentioned it being a bonus from Raphtalia getting the kill shot, but it varies too much for that, too.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 15:27   Link #545
Twi

There's probably other modifiers when it comes to leveling party members we aren't aware of. Some reviewers have pointed out that the anime does skip over details found in Light Novels, like the Wet Ore Shield, the Pickaxe Shield, Naofumi picking Raph up because she was a woman and he was projecting his disdain for Myne, etc. As per usual, if you want the finer details you'll have to hit up the source materials.
Old 2019-01-23, 16:22   Link #546
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
There's probably other modifiers when it comes to leveling party members we aren't aware of. Some reviewers have pointed out that the anime does skip over details found in Light Novels, like the Wet Ore Shield, the Pickaxe Shield, Naofumi picking Raph up because she was a woman and he was projecting his disdain for Myne, etc. As per usual, if you want the finer details you'll have to hit up the source materials.
I've reviewed the web novel on this scene, and I don't think I agree with that assertion.

1) Naofumi had a preference for a male slave, though not a requirement.

2) The only three slaves in his price range (40 silver) were two males and a female.

3) One of the males cost 40 silver, which would have left 0 for equipment, food, lodging, and everything else. (Not to mention the slaver's "commission" fee.) It rather undercuts the entire purpose of buying a slave if you can't give the slave the equipment needed to actually fight. Yes, he could go collect more money, but it would likely take a couple days for what was needed, and time was the more important resource.

4) The other male was a demi-rabbit with his arm broken and healed badly, such that it bent the wrong way. I can't imagine that being viable for someone you want to help you fight. Not that a little girl is much better, but still...

5) The screed about Myne, and being able to imagine her face in place of the slave's, felt very much like him making up justifications for why it was reasonable for him to choose the girl, despite the preference for a guy, and the background fear of another girl betraying him[*]. Because the guys were, sadly, worse options than Raphtalia, when considered logically.

And I think all of that adds up to why the anime didn't bother putting in that bit. It's difficult to fully interpret, providing an artificially skewed view of Naofumi's personality, and doesn't add anything significant once the purchase is made. Given the pacing the anime is going through, if they emphasize too much hate early on, it's harder to make a believable reduction in that in the time they have available, and they're clearly wanting a slightly less edgy protagonist here. Given that that particular incident wasn't "real" hate, it's easy to drop.

[*] Special note: When Naofumi and Raphtalia went to the blacksmith's shop in episode 3, there were certain callbacks to Naofumi's original visit with Myne. Namely, the budget (180 silver in this case, 250 in the original case), and that the girl was pushing for things to be bought, including getting armor for Naofumi.

In a lot of ways it seems like an event that might trigger Naofumi, due to the similarities. Yet in other ways, there were differences. Namely, though the purpose of the visit was to get equipment for Raphtalia, she insisted on getting armor for Naofumi as a priority, compared to Myne buying tons of stuff for herself (in the second visit).

Overall, it was mimicking the original visits, yet Naofumi seemed much more laid-back about it — possibly due to the stress and depression he seems to be suffering under (he actually seems mildly surprised by the back-and-forth between Raphtalia and the blacksmith when she's trying to get a discount), but also due to him seeming to trust Raphtalia more. Or at least just not worried about her.

At least, up until the incident with the other heroes at the church. That brought everything boiling back to the surface. He's in a very complicated emotional space, and very worried about losing the only bit of light he's found in this world. (And, assuming he has a realistic view of his own actions, he likely also recognizes that Raphtalia being a slave would be a huge lever the other heroes could use against him in any effort to take Raphtalia away, or 'free' her and have her abandon him.)
Old 2019-01-23, 16:26   Link #547
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
As I understand it, and based on the smith saying approximately "dude, you don't know about demi-humans?", this is the nature of demi-humans. I suppose their lineage dealt with a lot more monsters in their homeland, and so developed a trait where children who have no one to defend them and have to fight for themselves reach adulthood quickly, thus ensuring their ability to best deal with monster attacks.
Makes sense, animals IRL do mature quickly.

Now, as to Naofumi's observation about how everyone in that world is a lolicon, that's a little bit more inexplicable
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 16:34   Link #548
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I like how Ralphalia is more assertive this episode.
Old 2019-01-23, 16:35   Link #549
BWTraveller
Born to ship

From the manga, they changed one thing distinct from the smith scene. In the manga, the smith didn't offer a huge plate mail, he offered chainmail, and Naofumi reacted just about the way you'd expect given the last one he had.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 17:22   Link #550
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There's been an interesting swing in emotional behavior between the two of them, actually.

Raphtalia started out terrified, then was relatively quickly won over (mainly by the kid's meal and ball), reached "normal kid" status, practiced hard, and eventually overcame her other fears as she fought incarnations of each. In this episode, she has continued to grow, being assertive and happy, and in the end, feeling like she might actually be making a difference, due to being able to save some people. Only at the end, after their fight in Lute, do some of her own real insecurities seem to leak through.

Naofumi, on the other hand, seems to be spiraling downward. He started off gruff and edgy (post-betrayal), using his anger to get what he needed, and keep people off his back. He kept that gruffness when purchasing Raphtalia, but afterward seemed to be relaxing back into a happier state.

However in this episode, rather than reaching a comfortable balance with Raphtalia, he seems to have fallen even further downward. Without his anger propping him up (sort of like an adrenaline rush in a fight), and without needing that anger to get what he needs (now that he has Raphtalia helping him), he seems to be dropping into a severe state of depression.

He still works through the routines, grinding XP and medicine, but there's a complete lack of motivation to go much beyond that. He was seriously wounded by the porcupine, yet barely reacted to it, and doesn't have the personal motivation to get better armor to protect himself. He doesn't haggle, or have any of the banter with the blacksmith he had early on.

And in fact, Raphtalia's behavior seems almost an explicit counter to Naofumi's depression. She's happy and perky and trying to lift his spirits. She chastises him like a mom big sister (despite her status as a slave), likely just to try to get a reaction out of him. Naofumi sees it, and considers it Raphtalia standing up for herself now (or maybe just being rude), but doesn't see it as Raphtalia trying to help keep his spirits up.

In fact, it's worse, in a way. He sees Raphtalia becoming someone who can survive in this world without him. She's strong, and capable, and standing up for herself. She's surpassed his level. People actually like her (cf: street venders). The only thing tying her to him is the fact that she's his slave. His sword, as she reminds people. A possession; not a person.

Remove the slave contract, and what reason does she have to stay? She might be swept off her feet by a dashing lady's man like Motoyasu. Or she might just leave him with a, "It's been nice knowing you!" Or she might look down on him with the same eyes as everyone else, once she hears the rumors about him.

Naofumi had a bit of a crush on Myne, because she was so pretty. Her betrayal hurt him, but not in a truly personal way. What really hurt him — what triggered the 'anger' — was everyone else siding with her, against him.

Raphtalia, on the other hand, has practically been a daughter to Naofumi. He made medicine for her when she was sick. He comforted her when she woke up screaming from nightmares. He taught her how to fight. He splurged on the child's meal, and bought her presents. There was no romance, but she's certainly found a place in his heart. If Raphtalia left him — if she saw him as a horrible person, not only for the false accusations, but for his later actions, and keeping her as a slave — that would be intensely personal. And I think the depression he's feeling is that dread anticipation leaking through.

Some of it is probably carryover from the original accusation incident, but it really did seem like he was getting over that by the end of episode 2. Right now he seems more to be working on an "I don't deserve good things/things will eventually get worse" attitude.

Last edited by Kinematics; 2019-01-23 at 17:37.
Old 2019-01-23, 17:46   Link #551
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Yeah, it's a nice way to show how comfortable she is around Naofumi now.
Old 2019-01-23, 18:28   Link #552
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
That XP Share though, pretty sure Raphatalia is getting a little more than our Hero.
Old 2019-01-23, 18:32   Link #553
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
I've reviewed the web novel on this scene, and I don't think I agree with that assertion.
Web Novel, manga, and LN change things around from what I know. Especially with the web novel. But you're probably right. If they had him act edgy then it'd be contradictory to everything he does right afterwards.

Quote:

Now, as to Naofumi's observation about how everyone in that world is a lolicon, that's a little bit more inexplicable
Considering how Demi-Humans are treated as slaves in that city, the fact that they take note of her being mature and pretty is more worrying. If this were Arifureta, we'd already be at the stage where someone offers to buy her. Especially when you consider she just jumped from looking 10 years old to legal age. That's creepy.

I think they also decreased her bust size for that reason as well compared to her manga counterpart, which I am grateful for. But I didn't see the man with a scar on his face in the chapter. Is that part of the LN or is it Anime-Exclusive?

Last edited by Twi; 2019-01-23 at 19:00.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 19:10   Link #554
Keila

Quote:

Not really
○ Naofumi has a human understanding of biology/maturity (physical maturity as a function of time, the more that time passes the more that your body will grow/change/physically age).
○ It's been about 1 week since the battle in the mine with the dog (and Naofumi hasn't really spent that much time in the world)
○ One week ago it would be hard to classify Raphtalia as anything other than a fragile little girl

In our (real) world the law doesn't care if someone is over 6ft tall and has massive boobs, if they're a minor (underage) you're going to be in massive strife if you do anything 'adult' with them.

From Naofumi's perspective
○ He obtained a mentally unstable little slave girl
○ A little over a week ago she enjoyed kids meals and playing with a ball and he'd even cradle her whilst she cried in his arms over her parents
○ A week after (life or death in mine) the old guys in the town are hitting on said little girl

If you make an exception for demi-humans (power leveling results in maturity, so if you power level them enough you can consider them all grown up) then it sets a creepy precedent, assuming that ushering in the next generation doesn't have any obvious downsides (like loss of lifeforce, etc).

Just because someone seems to be all grown up doesn't stop them from being a child (and thus, all the guys hitting on her in town are more or less lolicons due to hitting on said child). Hell, one of the 'rites of passage' so to speak for children is the denial of being a child anymore.

One of the extreme (worst case scenario type things) would be if demi-humans wanted to form an army asap. Obviously we don't know the finer details about conception/pregnancy, but assuming no practical limitations (and since exp is shared) they could probably form a super powerful army fairly quickly.
Old 2019-01-23, 19:10   Link #555
Mars Terra

While I'm glad that 4 years haven't passed like I initially thought to be the case, I can't say the actual explanation for Raphtalia being older in this episode is any better--I feel like they just did it to justify her's being in love with Naofumi, and it's a little convenient that he doesn't have to explain having someone so young traveling with him to the other heroes.

But I don't hate her as a character, the fact that she's grown so much means they've been spending a good amount of time together, so her being in love with him feels a little earned--even if I did wish they just kept the father-daughter sort of relationship they seemed to be building towards in the last episode. She also has some trauma she's been trying to overcome, so that gives her depth beyond that.

I think it's sweet that some of the knights actually decided to stick around and fight the monsters with Naofumi. I just wish the wave lasted a bit longer than it did as it didn't really feel like much of a threat--especially if this is supposed to be a global catastrophe.

Currently reading:: The Sirens of Titan.
Mars Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 19:13   Link #556
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

It's pretty clear, at least to me, in the latest episode that Naofumi's greatest fear (maybe unconsciously) is the possibility of Raphtalia deserting him. It's probably why he still hides the "rumours" about him from her, and his possessiveness during the scene with Motoyasu.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 19:19   Link #557
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Well that's because the other 3 heroes killed the boss.
Sort of like an game event.
Old 2019-01-23, 19:30   Link #558
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Terra View Post
While I'm glad that 4 years haven't passed like I initially thought to be the case, I can't say the actual explanation for Raphtalia being older in this episode is any better--I feel like they just did it to justify her's being in love with Naofumi, and it's a little convenient that he doesn't have to explain having someone so young traveling with him to the other heroes.

But I don't hate her as a character, the fact that she's grown so much means they've been spending a good amount of time together, so her being in love with him feels a little earned--even if I did wish they just kept the father-daughter sort of relationship they seemed to be building towards in the last episode. She also has some trauma she's been trying to overcome, so that gives her depth beyond that.
Well-spoken. This is one of the issues I have as well.
Old 2019-01-23, 19:44   Link #559
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
It's pretty clear, at least to me, in the latest episode that Naofumi's greatest fear (maybe unconsciously) is the possibility of Raphtalia deserting him. It's probably why he still hides the "rumours" about him from her, and his possessiveness during the scene with Motoyasu.
I think it's more along the line of Raphtalia believing those rumors as well since, as a slave, she physically cannot abandon him.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 19:49   Link #560
Ichinotachi

This episode was great without a doubt, love how Raphtalia changed so much, is obvious that she's more mature at this point judging by how she express herself and her reactions to different situations like when the knights didn't gave a damn about Naofumi during the battle. By the way what kind of training are they receiving? that isn't even close to a Phalanx.

The spear hero is just a piece of shit of a human, same goes for the other 2 heroes who just follow what he does. That scene was great not only because of Raphtalia but it was good too because Naofumi showed how afraid he is of losing her especially after the rumors and how he thinks that may affect the way she look at him. Personally I believe in her words that no matter what she'll be there at his side because she wanted to, not because of her status of slave.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isekai, traumatized protagonist