Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 15:42   Link #61
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I live in a country with no tipping culture. But I always wondered how does it work. I expect you rarely have the exact amount of money to pay the bill and the tip. Usually when I go to a restaurant I just give the waiter the money without saying anything and he comes back with the change.
However in the U.S. the tip is at the client's discretion, so when you pay do you actually tell the waiter the amount of money he must keep as a tip?
Well, a lot of people pay with credit or debit cards these days, in which case there's an extra line on the receipt to fill in a tip amount before you sign. In the case of paper money, you give the waiter the cash and they'll bring you back the change, usually in small bills such as $5 and $1 bills. You leave the amount that you wish to tip on the table and then leave. You can also give the waiter more cash than would be necessary for the bill itself and ask for change in order to have the proper amount for a tip.
Old 2009-11-17, 17:39   Link #62
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I rarely eat out, and when I do, it's in one of those "come and get it yourself" kinda places.

As for tipping in places where it is expected from the costumers...... I sometimes do it, I sometimes don't. I never bother wondering about the correct % involved that's for sure.
Old 2009-11-17, 20:49   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Well, a lot of people pay with credit or debit cards these days, in which case there's an extra line on the receipt to fill in a tip amount before you sign. In the case of paper money, you give the waiter the cash and they'll bring you back the change, usually in small bills such as $5 and $1 bills. You leave the amount that you wish to tip on the table and then leave. You can also give the waiter more cash than would be necessary for the bill itself and ask for change in order to have the proper amount for a tip.
I try to leave a cash tip even if I'm paying debit/credit... that line on the paper is just a taxable/trackable thing (I believe taxes can even be deducted from the paycheck for it). Whatever - I prefer giving the waiter cash as they're little bugs in the big scheme of taxation. That leaves the option up to them.
Old 2009-11-17, 20:57   Link #64
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I try to leave a cash tip even if I'm paying debit/credit... that line on the paper is just a taxable/trackable thing (I believe taxes can even be deducted from the paycheck for it). Whatever - I prefer giving the waiter cash as they're little bugs in the big scheme of taxation. That leaves the option up to them.
So you're saying you always tip cash so they can choose to not report the tips as income?
Old 2009-11-17, 22:20   Link #65
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I usually tip 15-20% of my bill, I knew friends who were into catering and they had the nasty habit of spitting into food/beverages when the customer was rude . So after hearing about that I make it a point to be nice and tip . Most of my food though is take out then in-house
Old 2009-11-17, 22:24   Link #66
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Not to mention the staff would prefer cash a hundred times over too. I don't know how they go about getting a tip that was included in a charge though. It's probably a pain in the ass depending on the establishment I bet.
Old 2009-11-17, 22:34   Link #67
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
(Reply since the rep button hasn't cooled off from ages past.)

*click* I don't know WHY that factoid about that being trackable never occurred to me before. I believe it is time to start adjusting my habits to keep enough tip-appropriate bills on me rather than relying on that.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 00:33   Link #68
FateAnomaly

You mean waiters earn enough to be taxed? Now i know exactly how low paying my job is.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 02:24   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
You mean waiters earn enough to be taxed? Now i know exactly how low paying my job is.
Its more like the IRS withholds everything that moves and its your job to file a return to get it back. The piddling scale cash economy ruins their sleep at night... all those waiters and strippers and cab drivers getting by with a few untracked extra dollars (meanwhile the fat cats happily avoid paying taxes on millions and millions with shell games).
Old 2009-11-18, 06:10   Link #70
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
I usually tip 15-20% of my bill, I knew friends who were into catering and they had the nasty habit of spitting into food/beverages when the customer was rude . So after hearing about that I make it a point to be nice and tip . Most of my food though is take out then in-house
See, that's the thing then.

Then it's like you walk with the need to tip just to get good service or in hope that they're nice to you and that your food stays safe.
What if a customer is a jerk or is just fussy (which to you = "rude"), gets their food messed with but leaves a big ass tip at the end?
Then what, the waiter/waitress is an ass then, no?

Sounds to me like total disregard of professionalism no matter how crummy the resturant or how annoying the customer, that's what working for the public is about 9 times outta 10.

@ Americans:
Speaking of resturants, technically Maccy D's is considered as one (agreed, a fast food one and you pay before you eat).
So family places or general eats like... uh I forgot some of the places we went to, but Pizza Hut, Hard Rock Cafe or some cafe and so on.
(Although at HRC I tipped the guy cause he was awesome, the thing being, i couldn't help but wonder if he was being awesome for the money or a bigger 'tip' or if that was truly his character and professionalism with the job).

But are there generally known resturants/fast food places where you sit down to eat and pay at the end where you don't need to tip?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 06:27   Link #71
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
But are there generally known resturants/fast food places where you sit down to eat and pay at the end where you don't need to tip?
You don't tip in fast food restaurants.
There are some higher end restaurants that tell customers not to tip because they pay their staff over minimum wage. But those are usually really expensive places.
Old 2009-11-18, 07:23   Link #72
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
You don't tip in fast food restaurants.
There are some higher end restaurants that tell customers not to tip because they pay their staff over minimum wage. But those are usually really expensive places.
It's not always because they pay the staff over the minimum wage, sometime it's because the tip (AKA the service) is includes on the price. But you can still tip on those kind of place.
Old 2009-11-18, 12:10   Link #73
Nosauz

Honestly in America tipping has gotten to an absurd point, tipping was usually meant as a thank you for execellent service but now adays your expected to tip, and if you don't your the jackass, even if your waiter/waitress probably only refilled you water once in the two hours you were at the resturaunt or didn't even give you the utencils you were looking for. Tipping is meant to incentivize service quality but in America you can bet your ass that its more of person sticking their hand out.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 14:11   Link #74
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Honestly in America tipping has gotten to an absurd point, tipping was usually meant as a thank you for execellent service but now adays your expected to tip, and if you don't your the jackass, even if your waiter/waitress probably only refilled you water once in the two hours you were at the resturaunt or didn't even give you the utencils you were looking for. Tipping is meant to incentivize service quality but in America you can bet your ass that its more of person sticking their hand out.
Exactly, people thinking tipping is a right not a reward. I cant remeber the last time I tipped a waiter, mostly because I take out alot, because these days frankly service in most places sucks. And when I order out and end up having the delivery guy arrive a half hour late or a taxi driver brings it why should I tip?
Old 2009-11-18, 16:34   Link #75
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wervy View Post
Exactly, people thinking tipping is a right not a reward. I cant remeber the last time I tipped a waiter, mostly because I take out alot, because these days frankly service in most places sucks. And when I order out and end up having the delivery guy arrive a half hour late or a taxi driver brings it why should I tip?
If they don't follow through on their promise then they don't deserve a tip. But if they did do their job, they should get something.
Old 2009-11-19, 16:37   Link #76
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The only reason tipping is expected in America is because the business expects the tips to make up a significant portion of their income, and thus they pay less accordingly.

If that wasn't the case, it would be more exclusive/a reward for exceptional service.

Edit: And I don't care if it's expected or not, if the service sucks, I won't tip and I probably won't come back, either.
Old 2009-11-19, 16:51   Link #77
Cinocard

Quote:
The only reason tipping is expected in America is because the business expects the tips to make up a significant portion of their income, and thus they pay less accordingly.
Many restaurants nowadays pay fairly high for their waiters/waitresses. And what about family business, when kids works for their family? If you don't tip, you still are a jackass.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 16:52   Link #78
Irkalla
I asked for this

Tipping is not really a custom here where I live, so I don't usually tip unless eating in a very fancy restaurant which offers great service.(ie doesn't judge me by age and offers me equal service as someone older and richer looking would get) When I go abroad, it's either already included on the bill or I follow the common courtesy which is around 10-15%. I sometimes tip hot waiters too though
Old 2009-11-19, 17:45   Link #79
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Many restaurants nowadays pay fairly high for their waiters/waitresses. And what about family business, when kids works for their family? If you don't tip, you still are a jackass.
What bizarro world do you live in?

Restaurant employees get paid jack shit. I used to work in the business.
Old 2009-11-19, 19:44   Link #80
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Many restaurants nowadays pay fairly high for their waiters/waitresses.
I have no idea where you heard that, but its definitely not true.