AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-16, 02:57   Link #21
Apathy
does not compute

That sounds like a good choice, I think. Would Intel HD Graphics be suitable for Photoshop (CS Premium- I think it's quite an old version, as I've mentioned), and (less importantly, but still) Sims 2, if I wanted to play it?

One of the main reasons I wanted to get a Toshiba was that I've heard that they're at least fairly reliable (my current laptop is a Toshiba, and has seemed to hold up quite well for the time that I've had it). I know that there's no way of guaranteeing such things, but I'm pretty paranoid about losing data and the like, so what's a Thinkpad's record in terms of reliability?
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 07:01   Link #22
Sides

Get the latest and less expensive 13" MacBook Pro model, if you're willing to spend up to $1200. If you're a student you can use the education store, which gives you a bit discount.
Core 2 duo with 320M is decent enough to run most applications, excluding latest games. The battery life and size are really good, and I honestly think for the price, performance and portability, the 13" macbook pro is worth it.
Alternatively the ASUS U30JC looks like a nice alternative, sadly not available worldwide atm.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 07:18   Link #23
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Sims 2 is a very old game (5-6 years old the very least). Although I haven't played it on any Intel Graphics, expect it to run at lower resolutions and lower graphics settings. Once you pile on custom content, especially content with custom 3d meshes, it will slow down the game, especially on Intel Graphics. I ran this game on an Intel Core2 Duo with a Geforce 9600m and it ran at full resolution at 200 fps.

Here is what the Intel HD Graphics should play like... Don't expect high quality graphics with this GPU.:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-G...D.23065.0.html
Old 2010-05-16, 12:09   Link #24
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If all the OP is doing is the Sims 2, he should be okay. The Intel HD IGP is about equal to mid- to low-range mobile discrete GPUs from that time period (2004ish), possibly a little faster.
Old 2010-05-18, 00:14   Link #25
Apathy
does not compute

I think the only things I do that might require a higher GPU are Photoshop and Sims 2, yeah, so hopefully it should be fine.

As it is, I ended up going with the Thinkpad T410, and am looking forward to seeing how it works out (I'm picking it up tomorrow). It seems to have an nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M graphics card, so I imagine that'll still be alright?

Thanks to everyone for their help, again. It's much appreciated, as I know next to nothing about these things myself.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 20:09   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If you picked up the T410 with the Quadro NVS 3100M, you should be just fine. That GPU is the GT218 core, which also powers the consumer-oriented G 210M and G 310M, as well as the second-generation nvidia ION.

It gets around 3800ish in 3DMark06, but the Quadro version has drivers optimized for business applications (such as Photoshop CS4 and higher) and not so much games, but if you're just doing Sims 2, you'll be good.