Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2020-11-06, 15:50   Link #1301
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So because Trump won in 2016, everyone was yelling, "They should split the EC votes according to how people actually voted, not winner take all!"
Had Electoral Votes been allocated proportionally, neither major-party candidates would have won the election because some 29 EVs would have been won by third-party candidates. In that case the election would go to the House of Representatives where each state has one vote.

Nor would the outcome likely have been different had 2016 EVs been allocated by Congressional district the way Maine and Nebraska do. A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation using the actual 2016 results for the House suggests this method would likely have resulted in a Republican majority. Republicans won 241 House seats in 2016 compared to 194 for the Democrats. Since a majority of states voted for Trump in 2016, the allocation of the Senate votes would have expanded his lead in this re-imagined Electoral College.
Old 2020-11-06, 17:09   Link #1302
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If we went by 2016, California would have a few electors for the third and fourth place candidated, along with a third or so going to Trump and the majority to Clinton. Utah would have had a third to a third party that wouldn't rate anymore from any other state (Utah had an odd result). and so on.
Old 2020-11-06, 17:38   Link #1303
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Did you orgasm?
Old 2020-11-06, 17:39   Link #1304
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

One thing I am glad is that when this election cycle is over, I will no longer hear “As Ohio goes, so goes the nation” or at least it would become a label to easily identify a trumpian follower who ate the whole "fraudulent election" idea line, hook & sinker.
Old 2020-11-06, 18:04   Link #1305
cyberdemon

Newt Gingrich is advocating for Barr to arrest pa election workers...
Old 2020-11-06, 18:16   Link #1306
The Green One

I wonder if it's uncomfortable being Trump's hand puppet.....

I wonder if we'll have enough results for a decision by Monday. Well at least I'll have work to distract me tomorrow rather than listening to CNN in the background while I do stuff online.
Old 2020-11-06, 18:36   Link #1307
Psyco Diver

So another old white rich politician that hasn't been in touch with the common person for 50 years is in charge again? Call me surprised, especially since people think things are going to change. As much as I don't like Trump I can at least appreciate he wasn't another politician and acted like it. Back to the same old same old
Old 2020-11-06, 18:36   Link #1308
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I wonder if it's uncomfortable being Trump's hand puppet.....

I wonder if we'll have enough results for a decision by Monday. Well at least I'll have work to distract me tomorrow rather than listening to CNN in the background while I do stuff online.
That depends on how fast they can get the recounts done. Trump will probably try to interfere thus slowing down the recounts.
Old 2020-11-06, 21:06   Link #1309
The Green One

Biden continues to expand his lead in Pennsylvania, while Trump slowly but surely is chipping away at Arizona, but it remains to be seen if he can actually overtake him in time.
Old 2020-11-06, 21:08   Link #1310
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
So another old white rich politician that hasn't been in touch with the common person for 50 years is in charge again? Call me surprised, especially since people think things are going to change. As much as I don't like Trump I can at least appreciate he wasn't another politician and acted like it. Back to the same old same old
He might not had ''acted'' like another president but policy wise he pushed for much of the same thing as another republican president would had done. Maybe a bit more strongly on some points ( the anti-imigration part for example) and softly on other ( he didn't start another war, not than he hasn't tried) but he still followed for a good part the GOP playbook.
Old 2020-11-06, 21:15   Link #1311
The Green One

There's a marked difference between "supporting the party" without saying anything directly about it in comparison to drinking the crazy conspiracy koolaid and calling for the incarceration of people over literally nothing at all evidence wise.
Old 2020-11-06, 21:58   Link #1312
cyberdemon

Roflmao Trump is complaining about Biden “wrongfully claiming the office of the president” pot calling the kettle black?
Old 2020-11-06, 22:04   Link #1313
The Green One

Well lets be fair here, Trump did win 2016. If you're referring to Trump's false claims of victory in the election right now then yes it is a pots and kettles thing.
Old 2020-11-06, 22:33   Link #1314
cyberdemon

I am referring to the fact he called it on election night before any states even finalized their count
Old 2020-11-06, 22:49   Link #1315
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Had Electoral Votes been allocated proportionally, neither major-party candidates would have won the election because some 29 EVs would have been won by third-party candidates. In that case the election would go to the House of Representatives where each state has one vote.

Nor would the outcome likely have been different had 2016 EVs been allocated by Congressional district the way Maine and Nebraska do. A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation using the actual 2016 results for the House suggests this method would likely have resulted in a Republican majority. Republicans won 241 House seats in 2016 compared to 194 for the Democrats. Since a majority of states voted for Trump in 2016, the allocation of the Senate votes would have expanded his lead in this re-imagined Electoral College.
Right, I forgot a part that you reminded me of... in 2016 (and probably the reason we ended up with Trump) everyone was so disgusted by both Hillary and Trump that quite a few people went third party, myself included. I believe the idea behind splitting EC votes was so that the US could actually get viable third-party candidates instead of always having to choose whether to vote Dem or Repub.

Now, if Biden pulls this off, makes me wonder if more chatter for making third parties viable is going to happen, or just election reform (like getting rid of the EC) in general will occur...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2020-11-06, 22:57   Link #1316
The Green One

Makes you wonder how a third party would even be made viable. For decades now the Third Party runners have been essentially treated as non entity jokes. If you didn't directly vote yourself you'd likely never even realize they were running in the first place there's so little mention of them. Them getting 1-2% of the vote is considered massive. Usually you see their name and your reaction is essentially "Who the hell is this?"
Old 2020-11-06, 23:08   Link #1317
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Trumpers somehow hope the military votes tip the balance. After the story zbout the Russian bounties? After calling some of them losers?
Old 2020-11-06, 23:10   Link #1318
The Green One

Looks like Mark Meadows, he's chief of staff, has Covid..... and he's been around Trump and other members of the campaign. Without a mask.

Time for Covid infection round 2?

Man crappy timing for Trump eh?
Old 2020-11-06, 23:29   Link #1319
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Biden continues to expand his lead in Pennsylvania, while Trump slowly but surely is chipping away at Arizona, but it remains to be seen if he can actually overtake him in time.
No it doesn't. He hasn't been getting anywhere near the margin he needs in the Maricopa votes - and that margin has been shrinking - and there's a large dump from overwhelmingly-D Pima County still to come. The networks that have called AZ haven't retracted and there's a good reason for that.

GA I can see - that's going to a recount - but PA and NV are in absolutely no doubt. It's a travesty that the media is still so terrified of incurring the wrath of a tinpot wannabe-dictator that they haven't called this thing.
Old 2020-11-06, 23:30   Link #1320
cyberdemon

Quote:
Makes you wonder how a third party would even be made viable. For decades now the Third Party runners have been essentially treated as non entity jokes. If you didn't directly vote yourself you'd likely never even realize they were running in the first place there's so little mention of them. Them getting 1-2% of the vote is considered massive. Usually you see their name and your reaction is essentially "Who the hell is this?"
Sadly the republican and democratic parties refuse to allow the third parties to be involved in the debates. This doesn’t allow them to get their voice out. They tend to represent more moderate views that the far right and far left won’t tolerate.