AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-10, 02:30   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Internet Connection Problem

Is it normal for the inside of the DSL modem to sound like tiny pieces moving inside with crackling noises when you shake it? For some reason, I kept on getting connected to the internet, yet no connection very recently. When I tested it on the SpeedTest.Net, I get these results:

Download speed = 1586kb/s
Upload speed = 614kb/s

This is pretty good for 7mpbs connection or is it?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 01:25   Link #2
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

7 Mbps / (8 bits / byte) = ~0.875 MB/s = ~896kB/s
I'd say your numbers are pretty good and are actually beyond what's advertised.

Just curious, does your modem have a fan? That would explain noises.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 02:19   Link #3
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
7 Mbps / (8 bits / byte) = ~0.875 MB/s = ~896kB/s
I'd say your numbers are pretty good and are actually beyond what's advertised.
Umm, Speedtest gives results in kilobits NOT kilobytes.

That means his result of 1586Kbits/s = 1.586Mbits/s. If he is paying for 7Mbits/s (7000Kbits/s) I would stay that is absolutely horrible and unacceptable. He must be syncing at the slowest possible DSL speed his ISP provides (1.5Mbps/768Kbps). Him getting 13Mbps (1586Kbytes/s) off a 7Mbps DSL connection, which nearly double his advertised speed, also seems highly implausible.
Old 2008-12-11, 04:04   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post

That means his result of 1586Kbits/s = 1.586Mbits/s. If he is paying for 7Mbits/s (7000Kbits/s) I would stay that is absolutely horrible and unacceptable. He must be syncing at the slowest possible DSL speed his ISP provides (1.5Mbps/768Kbps). Him getting 13Mbps (1586Kbytes/s) off a 7Mbps DSL connection, which nearly double his advertised speed, also seems highly implausible.
Seriously? Do you by chance know if there is any way to have a better sync? Does it have anything to do with electronics interferences? I do have a psp, a ds, and a Sony walkman in the room. However, I don't see why it would decrease my internet sync rate by that bad...
Old 2008-12-11, 09:05   Link #5
jpwong

I don't think you'd be seeing interfearence from those. If you're going through a router, you may want to try and connect your computer directly to the router. There have been cases where bad routers have affected speeds.

If you're already directly connected to your modem, you should probably give your ISP a call. If they give free service calls like mine does, you can get someone out there and they can find out what the problem is.
Old 2008-12-11, 12:09   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
I don't think you'd be seeing interfearence from those. If you're going through a router, you may want to try and connect your computer directly to the router. There have been cases where bad routers have affected speeds.

If you're already directly connected to your modem, you should probably give your ISP a call. If they give free service calls like mine does, you can get someone out there and they can find out what the problem is.
I see. Thanks for the info. (^_^)

It could be my defective DSL modem. Since I want to have internet this Christmas, it is better to seek the solution of the internet speed issue next month.. Low speed is better than no speed.
Old 2008-12-11, 17:04   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post

I must have been really tired. Also, 896kb/s is lower than 1586kb/s.

I apologize for brainfail.
Old 2008-12-11, 19:36   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Exclamation

After doing some tweaking on my own..

My download speed is now 500kb/s. (McAfee Speedometer)

On the contrary...

Using the Speedtest.net Mini, my speed is lame:

Download = 1039kbps
Upload = 530kbps

Two different methods of internet speed testing, two different results. Which to trust?

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2008-12-11 at 21:40. Reason: updated results
Old 2008-12-12, 15:33   Link #9
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
After doing some tweaking on my own..

My download speed is now 500kb/s. (McAfee Speedometer)

On the contrary...

Using the Speedtest.net Mini, my speed is lame:

Download = 1039kbps
Upload = 530kbps

Two different methods of internet speed testing, two different results. Which to trust?
Neither. I believe speed tests are contrived and shouldn't be taken as an accurate measurement of your browsing experience.

You're probably better off mentally timing how long your routine activities take, such as getting on GMail, posting here, and downloading things here and there.
Old 2008-12-12, 17:11   Link #10
Shadow Kira01

In that case, my internet speed is satisfaction most of the time, except only very recently but it is possible that my network cables are old. More over, the telephone outlet is actually broken the entire time. Even a slight move can cause a DSL signal loss. Repairing the phone input outlet may be time-consuming and costly. I guess I will be swapping it to another telephone outlet and maybe change the cables. It should work out fine..

On a side note, I just hope that when I buy Persona 4, I won't have the "disc error" issue. When things go bad, it usually turns worse. Even if Persona 4 won't work, I have a few cd lens cleaner.
Old 2008-12-12, 20:19   Link #11
jpwong

With speed tests, you have to remember that unless both tests are using the same server to test, you can and probably will get wildly different results.

Just as an example, if one server is speedtesting a server that's 200 miles away from your location that is on the same ISP network as you vs a speedtest that's pinging a server 1000 miles away on an outside network, the first test is probably going to display much better results as you never leave your own ISP's network.