AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-06, 20:49   Link #141
Theowne
耳をすませば

I personally enjoy the anime performances, but I wouldn't say there is much difference between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I wouldn't call Touch a little know series, it is one of the great classic in anime.
Obviously I agree that it is a great classic. But that doesn't change the fact that it's little known on Animesuki and in the english-speaking anime community who will be reading these threads. Its popularity index on MAL is #1051. There are no official English releases of the anime.

It's also for this reason that IMO BetoJR's comparison is off the mark. The Star Wars quote and Jesus story are saturated in our culture to the extent that they are instantly recognizable to most people reading an English language forum. Compared to that, barely anyone in the English speaking anime community has heard of Touch, and it is safe to assume that for most, it is a new discovery at this point. We are not in Japan. It was a classic there, but not to most people on this forum.

Well, I guess I should take my own advice and drop it, though.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 20:51   Link #142
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The anime is pretty complete, but I would go with the manga first. For me, the visuals of the anime are so dated that it presents a slight distraction. The manga looks like, well - Adachi.
I'm actually rather fond of the dated look, so if that's the only thing you have against the anime, then i'll just go with that.

Thanks guys!
Old 2011-01-07, 08:12   Link #143
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You should see the movie, too. It's not even near as good as the manga or the anime, but it's quite charming, actually. I'd watch after reading the manga, tho.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 10:39   Link #144
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You should see the movie, too. It's not even near as good as the manga or the anime, but it's quite charming, actually. I'd watch after reading the manga, tho.
I think there's quite a few films. I plan to watch them all eventually, though which one were you talking about?
Old 2011-01-07, 11:52   Link #145
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Hello Shiroth.

Both anime and manga are awesome. The manga is eighties Adachi, therefore best Adachi period, no more words are needed. The anime adaptation is incredibly faithful, the story and general art, but the ending is slightly different. The budget must have been pretty high because the backgrounds are very well drawn and are some of the best of the eighties, the music will never leave your head.

There are 5 films. The first three are a compilation from the TV series and the following two, Cross Roads and Miss Lonely Yesterday, are sequels to the series some years after the events of the end of the series. The story of these two films are entirely new material made exclusively for special TV feature, they are not based on the manga and are not Adachi original stories. But Touch was and still is so famous in Japan that they had to do some type of sequels after some time. So take that in mind when watching them.

Oh, yeah, and don't read back on the previous comments, they're full of spoilers.
Old 2011-01-07, 12:23   Link #146
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

So the ending is quite different for the anime? In a way i'm quite glad about that, because it means i'm in for two different endings. Thanks for all the information Rob. It'll come in handy, especially where the films are concerned.

& yeah won't be going a page back anytime soon.

Actually just finished the first episode, and it's great set-up. I'm glad that even though the set-up is so similar to Cross Game, though both are totally different. I'm for a treat with this show.
Old 2011-01-07, 12:27   Link #147
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So the ending is quite different for the anime? In a way i'm quite glad about that, because it means i'm in for two different endings. Thanks for all the information Rob. It'll come in handy, especially where the films are concerned.

& yeah won't be going a page back anytime soon.

Actually just finished the first episode, and it's great set-up. I'm glad that even though the set-up is so similar to Cross Game, though both are totally different. I'm for a treat with this show.
the tv series ended the same the manga did. Personally i would just pretend movie 4 and 5 did not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr View Post
Hello Shiroth.

Both anime and manga are awesome. The manga is eighties Adachi, therefore best Adachi period, no more words are needed. The anime adaptation is incredibly faithful, the story and general art, but the ending is slightly different. The budget must have been pretty high because the backgrounds are very well drawn and are some of the best of the eighties, the music will never leave your head.
overall i actually prefer H2 to Touch.
Old 2011-01-07, 14:51   Link #148
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I think there's quite a few films. I plan to watch them all eventually, though which one were you talking about?
Yeah, sorry for not spelling it out, but when you said you were going to watch the anime, I assumed you already planned on watching the continuing movies, as well. What I meant was that you should also watch the live-action movie. Surprisingly nice, if very short.

Quote:
the tv series ended the same the manga did. Personally i would just pretend movie 4 and 5 did not exist.
Same here.

Quote:
overall i actually prefer H2 to Touch.
Same here. [2]

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 15:18   Link #149
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Personally, I try my hardest to pretend "Miss Lonely Yesterday" doesn't exist. But your mileage may vary

(Edit: Should have read Xellos' post first...agree with him, though I find the last film tolerable)

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 16:23   Link #150
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Personally, I try my hardest to pretend "Miss Lonely Yesterday" doesn't exist. But your mileage may vary

(Edit: Should have read Xellos' post first...agree with him, though I find the last film tolerable)
my issue with the last movie is that i am a baseball fan and has very good knowledge of how the minor league system works. They way the movie depicted it was asinine, it is like whoever wrote the script never even bother to do any cursory research on US baseball and the minor league system.
Old 2011-01-07, 19:32   Link #151
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
So the ending is quite different for the anime?
Not quite, slightly different. It doesn't affect the course of either ending.

Cheers.
Old 2011-01-07, 19:42   Link #152
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks for clearing that up Rob.

Three episodes in, and the amount of cute girls is increasing.
Old 2011-03-30, 18:38   Link #153
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Central Anime, you guys are the best. Thank you all very much for releasing the complete remaster of Touch.
Old 2023-05-28, 10:15   Link #154
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just started watching this in the context of Mix, and I'm having a hard time with the pervasive casual misogyny. Perhaps this reflects Japanese culture at the time, but even then I wonder if many girls Minami's age were thinking about marriage. The parents are especially horrendous in this regard. I'll soldier on for a couple more episodes, but so far this is my least favorite Adachi series regardless of its historical influence and popularity.

Aoba never thought about marriage.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-28, 17:03   Link #155
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just started watching this in the context of Mix, and I'm having a hard time with the pervasive casual misogyny. Perhaps this reflects Japanese culture at the time, but even then I wonder if many girls Minami's age were thinking about marriage. The parents are especially horrendous in this regard. I'll soldier on for a couple more episodes, but so far this is my least favorite Adachi series regardless of its historical influence and popularity.

Aoba never thought about marriage.
Of course a lot of girls Minami's age thought about marriage back then. Even now there are still girls who dream of getting married, just a loooooot less of them.

I remember having a tough time with the beginning of the series (not for those reasons), it really gets going once *spoiler* happens. And man, I will never forget that episode.