AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 333 89.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 6.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 1.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 0.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.08%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-17, 19:06   Link #281
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Neglecting the fact that you initially said it was an accident?
Well yeah. It was a mistake to click it at the time, I hadn't seen it yet. But I would've given it the same score had I had the chance to see it at the time.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:13   Link #282
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... I did see that you had a lot of problems with the story, however technically wise you didn't comment anything. Art direction, sound direction, voice acting, storyboarding, animation. Where all of those worse than other things you've scored higher?
Old 2009-02-17, 19:18   Link #283
typhonsentra

A score doesn't have to be an average. And something can have good production values and still be subpar because of poor story implementation/writing. Xam'd is a good example of this.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:22   Link #284
Proto

Hmm... then do you grade things using a ponderated average rather than a equally weighted one? Now you made me curious. In that case, which are the qualities of a story than in your opinion have a higher value when evaluating a series?
Old 2009-02-17, 19:24   Link #285
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
are you refering to classical drama in the sense of literary classics such as Oedipus Rex, or Macbeth, dramas in the shakesperian sense which can be considered classical?
To answer that would be detracting from the topic. It is enough to say though that your two examples are Classical Drama.

Proto: Now now, let's not bait the fellow.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:33   Link #286
RandomFlameStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hmm... then do you grade things using a ponderated average rather than a equally weighted one? Now you made me curious. In that case, which are the qualities of a story than in your opinion have a higher value when evaluating a series?
That's a good point. But there's no set criteria to judge an episode in this voteing system. It's just pick what you feel. If you choose to take into account art, animation quality, etc then all the better for you. Unfortunatly this can lead to some people voteing 1's just to troll or etc and one can't do a thing about it heh.

@Typhon
Yeah I wasn't really insulting you for voteing one. Although I do believe that your interperation is wrong and Tomoya's reaction is understandable/realistic in it's own way. Personally I think it should be atleast rated average. However since it's a matter of opinions and personal views (EX: Relating Tomoya's actions to what you would do) there isn't much to debate haha.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:37   Link #287
typhonsentra

Usually I try to weigh the merits of a show the way you described in your previous post but there are times where a certain element overrides the rest in how I feel about a program/specific episode for better or worse. In this episode it was a combination of my dislike for Tomoya and his relationship with his father (Again, I talked about it a few pages back)

Another major pet peeve of mine is flimsy excuses a director uses to get to certain plot points (Call it the "I just knew... somehow" device). I mean, how did the grandmother know he'd come by? How'd he know to go there? He had a distant memory of the place from his childhood?
Old 2009-02-17, 19:41   Link #288
Proto

Quote:
Another major pet peeve of mine is flimsy excuses a director uses to get to certain plot points (Call it the "I just knew... somehow" device). I mean, how did the grandmother know he'd come by? How'd he know to go there? He had a distant memory of the place from his childhood?
Hmmm... i that's the case then it was indirectly explained in the anime, and in the game we got some more details.

Elder Okazaki did mention that Sanae had told her that Tomoya would come by that spot, so all she had to do was to wait. The only additional detail we had in the game was that Sanae had written and left Tomoya an itinerary of the trip, complete with tickets. The only problem was that they were a day behind but it seems that elder Okazaki didn't have much to do anyway so she waited there nevertheless.

Of course the itinerary only said flower field, so betting that Tomoya would take the extra step to go up the hill was the only chance element here.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:41   Link #289
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
He had a distant memory of the place from his childhood?
Shit like that happens, especially for people who has a special place or special something in their childhood. It's similar to suddenly remember that particular song or this seat one used to sit on in grade school. It's not that contrived as some seems to make it to be.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:49   Link #290
typhonsentra

Quote:
Hmmm... i that's the case then it was indirectly explained in the anime, and in the game we got some more details.

Elder Okazaki did mention that Sanae had told her that Tomoya would come by that spot, so all she had to do was to wait. The only additional detail we had in the game was that Sanae had written and left Tomoya an itinerary of the trip, complete with tickets. The only problem was that they were a day behind but it seems that elder Okazaki didn't have much to do anyway so she waited there nevertheless.

Of course the itinerary only said flower field, so betting that Tomoya would take the extra step to go up the hill was the only chance element here.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Quote:
Shit like that happens, especially for people who has a special place or special something in their childhood. It's similar to suddenly remember that particular song or this seat one used to sit on in grade school. It's not that contrived as some seems to make it to be.
Yeah but the other characters were counting on Tomoya to just all of a sudden decide to visit a certain location he may or may not remember from his childhood.

I probably seem like I'm nitpicking on this one though, I'll admit. It's a pretty standard anime convention (Fate, distant memories, yadda yadda yadda) that you have to accept to enjoy the genre, same as the old "The church is secretly teh eval!" in JRPGs.
Old 2009-02-17, 21:15   Link #291
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I love the voting Nazis that kyo ani produces, if someone wants to rate an episode a 1 or a 10, who cares? What's important is what the episode meant to you, not them.
Old 2009-02-18, 06:04   Link #292
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I love the voting Nazis that kyo ani produces, if someone wants to rate an episode a 1 or a 10, who cares? What's important is what the episode meant to you, not them.
Aren't we now providing more spoilers for future "sneak - peak" thread clickers? Reckoner's right. It doesn't matter what literary device KyoAni is really implying here. (Heck they can use any literary device at their disposal and we wouldn't probably have guessed the one they were using the whole time. Not saying their manipulative or anything). Back to the point, what really matters is how you perceive the information your receiving through what your watching. As Reckoner said earlier, it is definently what the episode meant to you regardless of all the past episodes.
Old 2009-02-18, 14:20   Link #293
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
this is such a beautiful story, I started watching clannad at 5PM yersterday, i just caught up, have not slept yet,

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Old 2009-02-18, 17:10   Link #294
RandomFlameStrike

Quote:

Wait, in the game didn't Sanae tell Tomoya in the note to specifically go up the steps too? It's been awhile since I read so I don't remeber too well.
Old 2009-02-18, 22:03   Link #295
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would consider that a "best of Clannad at it's worst" episode. After the refreshingly understated and subtle 17, we're back in full-on emotional sledgehammer mode. That said, it was certainly involving in spite of that, if you have anything invested in the characters. I prefer the series in slowdown mode when it comes to the heart-tugging, but it was nice to see Tomoya's father as the device for his self-examination (that's as it should have been) even if he did forgive him much too quickly. And you can't deny Ushio is darn cute, and pleasantly implacable for a small child, for the most part.
Old 2009-02-19, 06:41   Link #296
Tiran86

I've never really cried at stories like this, and this episode was no exception, but damn what an emotional ride. Without a doubt in my mind, episode 18 is the best episode Clannad has offered so far. I think its at least as good, if not better than the best of Kanon, which is one of my top 10 anime. I don't think its pushed the series itself as high up as Kanon, but episode 18 is one of the best episodes of anime I've ever seen.
Old 2009-02-19, 08:41   Link #297
darry

can anyone post the whole scene in romaji(not sure if it was called that ^^) at the End when Tomoya starts talking to Ushio until it ends ?

Cant wait for Episode 19 like to see the Father-Son Conversation if there is one
Old 2009-02-19, 11:55   Link #298
FreshLeafTea

Send a message via AIM to FreshLeafTea
this series was amazing the ending of this episode was a mixed feeling ='(
happiness and sadness was put into this episode which had made this very interesting
Old 2009-02-19, 18:19   Link #299
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch this episode :

Omg , first time since several years for an anime i drop some tears so perfect episode!
Tomoya x Ushio was so great when they cried ! Gladly , Tomoya found the good way !
His father wasn't bad ! but still wondering like Tomoya said , why he forgot everything about the good moments with his father . Tomoya now is a real dad .

I didn't saw the movie , someone can say to me what is the end ?
Old 2009-02-19, 18:29   Link #300
Proto

Quote:
but still wondering like Tomoya said , why he forgot everything about the good moments with his father
Have you never been really, really angry with someone? Like, in, stay away from my life angry ô_o

Quote:
I didn't saw the movie , someone can say to me what is the end ?
Well, that would have to be asked and answered in the movie thread

Last edited by Proto; 2009-02-19 at 18:46.
Closed Thread