AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-06-27, 00:22   Link #1
HopelessLover

PS2, alive and kicking.

Everyone is talking about the next generation consoles; ps3, xbox360, and wii. But no one realizes that almost all the current generation consoles are practically dead, except for the ps2. I mean, microsoft has forgotton about the xbox and jumped shipped to the 360, and nintendo has pretty much done the same with the cube (except for the upcoming zelda game that's coming for their little forgotten box).

But the ps2 is still alive and kicking, big time. Upcoming games like Final fantasy XII, Dawn of Mana, Disgea 2, God of War II, Guitar Hero II, Lumines Plus, Okami, Xenosaga Episode III, and SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals Combined Assault (and the list goes on), breathe life to the system, and makes me want to keep my ps2 for another year or two before I upgrade to next-gen.

With that said, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the great support ps2 is still having. I mean, here we are waiting for the next big consoles to appear, yet life still breathes in the greatest current gen console; the ps2. I'm just happy so many great games are still coming to the ps2, even though the ps3 is just around the corner. Anyways, it's a great time to be a ps2 owner

Last edited by HopelessLover; 2006-06-27 at 00:48.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 00:25   Link #2
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Um... The zelda project was moved to the Wii.
Sorry, I had to correct.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 00:33   Link #3
HopelessLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder
Um... The zelda project was moved to the Wii.
Sorry, I had to correct.

Really? I thought both the cube and wii are gonna get the next zelda game... maby they changed their mind o.O

But if that's the case, then the cube is pretty much dead like the xbox.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 01:46   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Really? I thought both the cube and wii are gonna get the next zelda game... maby they changed their mind o.O
No, you're right - it's both simultaneously. There have been no announcements to the contrary since the dual-release was announced at E3 in May.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 05:09   Link #5
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
while things have cooled down for other consles i must say xbox is still alive an well, and of course they would stop the xbox with 360! it makes perfect sense. But i for one still activly play my xbox on xbox live with many of the 360 users since they let us play together its all good
Old 2006-06-27, 05:23   Link #6
Draikan7

Who cares if the PS3 is around the corner, I sure dont with a 600 dollar price tag.
Draikan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 05:29   Link #7
Sides

Quote:
upcoming games like Final fantasy XII, Dawn of Mana, Disgea 2, God of War II, Guitar Hero II, Lumines Plus, Okami, Xenosaga Episode III, and SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals Combined Assault (and the list goes on)
You forgot to mention tales of Abyss and the remake of tales of destiny ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 07:30   Link #8
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
I mean, microsoft has forgotton about the xbox and jumped shipped to the 360,
Yeah, why shouldn't they? The 360 has been out for 8 months, the PS3 is still 5 months away. Also, the PS2 has a big market share, much like the PS1 did - PS1 games were still being released before and after the release of the PS2.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 11:11   Link #9
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

The PS2 is at the moment still the best console i've played. The gamecube died to early, the best games where not released outside Japan. This factor was the biggest cause. The Xbox seems te doing reasonble, but no that great.... but the PS2 still gets lots of new games althrough the PS3 is on the way, it still has the attention of developers.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 13:40   Link #10
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
The GameCube didn't die, it just fell to the bottom of the list. There's only about 5 games I really loved on it. But those games were enough to keep me playing it.

It actually had the most powerfull system of the three ironically (look at the bottom right front side of the cube and tell me what the sticker says). But all of the great programmers didn't take atvantage of it, they went to PS2 and XBOX. Of course someone doesn't agree and says it's the least powerfull but physically, it has the most powerfull hardware. It's just sad nobody took atvantage of it.

Oh well, I play PS2 games also so it doesn't matter , i'm just waiting for the Wii to come out and good lord knows if i'll be posessed by an evil force enough to get a 360. I'm not getting a PS3, $600 dollars is a cruel joke.

Hey, the PS2 had all the good Japanese RPGs! The GameCube only had one or two (Phantasy Star and Tales of Symphonia) that I can see. Probably different in Japan but I dunno.
Old 2006-06-28, 14:14   Link #11
Ending

Quote:
The GameCube didn't die, it just fell to the bottom of the list. There's only about 5 games I really loved on it. But those games were enough to keep me playing it.
Same, but they didn't prevent me from selling it. Nintendo's games have been far too long way too "Family Friendly" to my taste and I doubt they will change that line of thought. Even their classics have begun to lost their charm.

But have to agree about PS2: it still has several good games (I have skipped that train completely thus far) and I'm even thinking of buying one modded in the near future. Unless, of course, there happens to be a decend, working emulator by that time.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 15:37   Link #12
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder
Oh well, I play PS2 games also so it doesn't matter , i'm just waiting for the Wii to come out and good lord knows if i'll be posessed by an evil force enough to get a 360. I'm not getting a PS3, $600 dollars is a cruel joke.
Really? How much did you pay for your last computer? The PS3 is going to be just as powerfull as a top of the line computer. In fact the GPU in it is more powerfull than any GPU available currently for PC's. Next I'd like to point this out to you: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eRKNnMi...p.asp?g=279850
And all those do is JUST play High Def movies! The PS3 will be able to both play High Def movies and video games! There is no doubt about it the PS3 is a deal no matter how you look at it. And if you think Sony will be making any profit off of the PS3 you are sadly mistaken. They will probably be breaking even or taking a loss on the console itself, and will be relying on profit from games and accessories.
I just bought an HDTV in anticipation of the PS3. And I'm going to be working my butt off all summer to save up for the PS3.

Back on topic: The PS2 is my favorite console. I can't stand the controllers for any of the other systems. Also of course the PS2 is going to continue to recieve plenty of support, because the PS3 will be fully backwards compatable with PS2 games (unlike the 360). I heard that this will be the case because Sony is just going to slap a PS2 chip in the PS3, instead of trying to create a software emulator.
Old 2006-06-28, 17:43   Link #13
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Hello........decent HDTV + PS3 + Games will take you well over a grand easy period.......and my current computer is a top of the line for only around 600-700 because I built it myself. Also difference is computers can be used for multiple tasks besides gaming ya know?

PS3 is nothing to wet your pants over...........its obvious Sony haven't even finalized the thing or have been telling some very very big fibs (like they did with PSX and PS2 which were nowhere near what they claimed)

Unfortunately I couldn't find a non-labeled one but the left is the originally shown one and the right, the recent E3 present one.

Also most of the games and companies that would get me playing PS2 in general have already started jumping ship over to XBox360 (mainly all those RPG's). One frickin game is not worth a console that will set me back a easy grand in the long-term even if its called MGS4. Especially when the cost is equivilent to what would get me TWO consoles.

Also the games WILL be expensive period with no guarantee of being good, Blu-Ray on its own is a unnecessarily large and expensive format, skyhigh prices on the development kits and development and HD compatibility will make it even more expensive then you think.

Ultimately though PS3 will do well, simply because its shiny and its got 'Sony' stuck on it and has the 'mature' reputation. Shallow it sounds but its true with a casual consumer who generally doesn't really care much for the nitty gritty as the mainstream gamers. Also as long they keep the favour of people like Square-Enix and Namco's Tales series the hardcore fans will pretty much ensure they will stay afloat

PS:
One more game to add to PS2 upcoming titles, Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 20:55   Link #14
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
The GameCube only had one or two (Phantasy Star and Tales of Symphonia) that I can see.
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II
Phantasy Star Online: Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos: The Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Skies of Arcadia Legends (played the original on Dreamcast, this is port with extras)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

The Lost Kingdoms games are pretty good too, I hear.
Quote:
Really? How much did you pay for your last computer? The PS3 is going to be just as powerfull as a top of the line computer.
Yet you can't even do half the things on it that you can on a computer. It's not as flexible.
The XBox 360 is roughly equivalent in power, and that costs half the price.
Quote:
The PS3 will be able to both play High Def movies and video games!
Some of us just want a games console without the extra crap thrown on top of it.
Quote:
I just bought an HDTV in anticipation of the PS3.
You poor thing. You fell for the HD hype.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 22:59   Link #15
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II
Phantasy Star Online: Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos: The Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Skies of Arcadia Legends (played the original on Dreamcast, this is port with extras)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

The Lost Kingdoms games are pretty good too, I hear.

Yet you can't even do half the things on it that you can on a computer. It's not as flexible.
The XBox 360 is roughly equivalent in power, and that costs half the price.

Some of us just want a games console without the extra crap thrown on top of it.

You poor thing. You fell for the HD hype.
Dude this thread is about the ps2... stay on topic, all of you -.-

anyways, ps2 is still bringing out intensly great games, like mentioned before, and I can't wait to play FFXII
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 00:44   Link #16
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Arrow

Oh YEAH! Final Fantasy 12 is gonna rock! How could I forget about it? It's friggin battle system is great, you could easily make a war scene where battle calculations happen in the background. Sound complicated but it all works out!

I'd rather buy a killer computer with all that money instead of a PS3. I would be able to play games, watch movies, develop/program video games, use photoshop, post in this forum , download loads of music and media, keep track of records (inventory, budget, and such), complete homework, find out info by research online, answer e-mail and send e-mail, talk to my DS via WiFi program (there's one that makes your comp pretend it's a DS WiFi signal), play PSX/Saturn discs, play SNES/NES/N64/Genesis/GBA/GB/GBC/GG games, and the list goes on...

The PS3 will end up just another media playing video game system. They like to hype their console and dissapoint. Since the PS2 and PSX didn't cost much at the time me and/or my familiy got it, all the library of those kick-ass RPGs made me like the console anyway. But since i'm gonna save the $600 I have twords powerful computer parts for a REAL top-of the line no lies machine, I have no use for the PS3. All i'm seeing are shoot-em ups and such anyway in those trailers. Many of the good RPGs are going to be for the portables. Finally, I get great RPGs for the DS (Lunar Genesis Sucked!). And there's some for the PSP also.

The PS2 is still alive, (and will be for a little longer too) as long as people like me buy games like FF12.

Hi-Def games don't really mean anything since you can turn the resolution on many to really high levels, only Hi-Def movies count.

(And for the record, even I could make a Hi-Def video game run on your comp. It's just simply games that run on high resolutions. I can make some run fast on my computer. Don't belive me, that's fine. I only program these all the time. MORE POLYGONS AT ONE TIME is what you need for more beautiful graphics and i've seen labtops that do that just fine, want Hi-Def? Set the video resolution option in the game to max).
Old 2006-06-29, 01:36   Link #17
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
PS2 isnt anything special, you all talk about it like they actually care, same thing with microsoft. i mean i hate how everyone goes on about OH MAN IT CAN DO THIS! well who cares? you'll never see a Nintendo brand T.V. and thats because they dont whore themselves out on the market. sony and microsoft saw an opening and they took it. thats why i think PS2 is dead, and always will be dead, same with the xbox, xbox 360, and the PS3. Nintendo stands for one thing...Gaming.
Old 2006-06-29, 01:49   Link #18
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Not another fanboy!

I won't argue with you.
It's hopeless because you'll just use the same types of arguments over and over.
PS2 has gaming!
And guess what?
I'm a huge Nintendo fan.
They do stand for gaming.
But so did the PS2.
They're both fun.
But the GameCube went dead. To be replaced by Wii. Nintendo lives strong.
The XBOX moved on. Microsoft lives strong.
But the PS2 still has one last go before it moves on too. Sony lives strong.

So...

Leave us in peace...

I'm tired of cross-console debates...

It's obvious you just want to stir things up...

I'm tired...

And it's late...

Understand? Of course you'll probably just reply to argue some more Nintendo or something.
Old 2006-06-29, 04:26   Link #19
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Back to PS2 people? As much as I'd like this to be a Nintendo discussion This is a PS2 thread......

Oi oi but I noticed that nobody has mentioned Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria as well, thats a pretty amazing game for so late in the PS2's lifespan. One thing does bother me though about PS2 games in general is how much they abuse that 'blurring' technique with FMV's and in games. Its not even real blurring its more like slowing down the framerate so they overlap each other and looks rather nasty at times.

Has anyone ever noticed it?
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 04:38   Link #20
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeval
PS2 isnt anything special, you all talk about it like they actually care, same thing with microsoft. i mean i hate how everyone goes on about OH MAN IT CAN DO THIS! well who cares? you'll never see a Nintendo brand T.V. and thats because they dont whore themselves out on the market. sony and microsoft saw an opening and they took it. thats why i think PS2 is dead, and always will be dead, same with the xbox, xbox 360, and the PS3. Nintendo stands for one thing...Gaming.
Nevermind creating a rock solid console for developers to be able to go completely wild and actually generate sales. Nevermind having the most solid software base amongst all the competetion.
Sony may stand for "profit", but Sony doesn't rely on its first party software for sales.
The only people that stand for gaming are actual game developers. For the record.

That aside, The ps2 has been kicking with my cravings. Lets see, even after all thats gone by this year, theres still Tales of the Abyss, Final Fantasy XII(, Xenosaga Episode III, Valkyrie Profile : Silmeria, Persona 3 , Phantasy Star Universe, Dawn of Mana, Shining Wind, Rogue Galaxy, Disgaea 2 , and .hack//G.U., in the RPG section to look forward to on the PS2 yet. Thats a list if I ever saw one.
Probably 3 or 4 of those will be "must buy's" (P3, XIII, RG and D2), but thats still quite a bit.
And theres plenty more coming in other genres as well. Its still alive, and I'm quite happy delving into it. xD

As for the "blurring" technique, Its sorta irritating, but I guess its neccessary if they prefer it over pixellations.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote