AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2015-05-12, 12:14   Link #1921
Vegard Aune

Taichi could have gotten new goggles. The "Reunion" could be in a meta sense. (Not brought up by you but) Mimi could have come back to Japan at some point in between the two series.

See, it's not that hard to reconcile this stuff. Or heck, they could just ignore it outright and still have 02 be canon. It's not like 02 didn't have a few inconsistencies of its own anyway. Really, the way I see it is, what is there actually to be gained from retconning 02 out of the continuity? As it stands, they could still make more money off of it from home video releases and merchandise, but just going "Hey, you see this? Yeah it doesn't matter anymore at all" would immensely devalue it and probably harm profits. The way I see it is, unless they come out and outright say "this series assumes 02 never happened", 02 still happened. It might not get referenced much, but I see no reason to assume that it would just be outright torn out of the canon.
Old 2015-05-12, 14:38   Link #1922
Elder

Quote:
what is there actually to be gained from retconning 02 out of the continuity
1) it makes a lot of fans happy

2) the sequel no longer have to be burdened with having to line up with the epilogue
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 14:56   Link #1923
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

02 looks like a filler anyway...
Old 2015-05-12, 16:24   Link #1924
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
1) it makes a lot of fans happy

2) the sequel no longer have to be burdened with having to line up with the epilogue
1) And annoys/disappoints plenty of others. So, I mean, whether or not that's a benefit is a bit of a mixed bag.

2) Seeing as that epilogue is some twenty years down the line even from Tri, and much of its content doesn't necessarily need to be explained in Tri any more than it did in 02, I don't see this as a huge issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
02 looks like a filler anyway...
...Filler to what? I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 17:53   Link #1925
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
1) And annoys/disappoints plenty of others.
I kind of doubt 02 has "plenty" of fans. I feel most people would prefer if it never existed to begin with.
Old 2015-05-12, 17:58   Link #1926
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I kind of doubt 02 has "plenty" of fans. I feel most people would prefer if it never existed to begin with.
You'd be surprised. I've seen people who both like and don't like 02 say they'd be pissed if it gets retconned. 02 has plenty of fans on Tumblr at least.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 19:01   Link #1927
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
You'd be surprised.
I doubt it. Sure it must have its fans, but they're probably a minority. All in all, it just wasn't a good series.
Old 2015-05-12, 19:02   Link #1928
Konja9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
I would say that one reason to retcon 02 could be that this would facilitate the work for the new staff.

They would much easier to start a new story without having to deal with some issues of 02 (as worldwide digidestined).
Konja9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 19:45   Link #1929
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Hey, I liked the series. Sure it had it's flaws, me being a Tai x Sora shipper was both confused and disapointed by what happened with the pairing in 02. I mean, in my opinion the Matt x Sora pairing came out of no where, sure they had that dark cave scene but that was all. So I was all " WTF?! " When I saw that Christmas episode, than the ending haha, that was a big question mark. Few jobs the kids had in the end was a little out of there, an Astronutt for Matt? Where'd that come from? Cody or Izzy would have made way more sense for that job, even than. Ken's job was even weirder

I'd say job wise that made sense, Kari being s teacher, Mimi and Joe being a Doctor of course was foreshadowed since series one. T.k's job is fine I guess.

Ask for the googles, adult Tai or his kid never had them so

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 20:15   Link #1930
Akashin

Quote:
I included annoyance to allow for people (like me, for the most part) who simply don't want to see part of canon tossed out the window, regardless of their opinion of that particular piece of the canon.

Not sure why you'd doubt 02 having plenty of fans, though. I'd hardly disagree were you to say that its haters outweigh its fans, but to say its fans are enough of a minority to not be worth considering is a bit off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Ask for the googles, adult Tai or his kid never had them so
Daisuke's kid has them. But seeing as Taichi's goggles in Tri could easily (and by my eyes seem to be) be different goggles, I don't see the problem here.

Unless you're trying to say that if Taichi had new goggles he would have given them to his kid or still be wearing them himself? I'm still not sure what the point here would be, though.
Old 2015-05-13, 00:18   Link #1931
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Not sure why you'd doubt 02 having plenty of fans, though. I'd hardly disagree were you to say that its haters outweigh its fans, but to say its fans are enough of a minority to not be worth considering is a bit off.
It's the impression I got after looking around.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. If they retcon 02, or part of it, it will be for storytelling reasons. Like Konja9 said, it will be less troubling for the writers if they don't have to worry about 02's many inconsistencies.
Old 2015-05-13, 04:03   Link #1932
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

*shrugs* 03 is my absolutely favorite, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy 02. Quite the contrary, I loved 02 a lot. While I wasn't crazy about its ending, I wouldn't say I hated it, either. I was just kind of "whatever" about it at the time.
Old 2015-05-13, 04:23   Link #1933
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So when i heard the DA Tri went from a TV series to 6 movies, i just wanted to scream "WHY!?" very loudly.
Old 2015-05-13, 04:43   Link #1934
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Hater and sniper always more vocal than normal fan. While I agree that DA1 is better than DA2. Saying DA2 is disaster is simply over reacting.

Personally I don't want them to dis-canon DA2. I was quite fond what they did to world building the digimon world. Hoping they continue that aspects in tri

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 07:41   Link #1935
Konja9

I really like 02 (though it has many flaws). In fact, 02 is one of favorite seasons. Also, Ken is one of my favorite characters of Digimon.

However, I do not mind if the staff retcon (partially or completely) 02, because I think the story of Tri could be developed better if they ignore some issues of 02.

Quote:
Well, in many Japanese Polls, new digidestined of 02 (except Ken) are usually at the bottom. So, they don't seem to be very popular in Japan.

A relatively recent example: https://twitter.com/yukimidigi/statu...72333094305795

Last edited by Konja9; 2015-05-13 at 08:29.
Old 2015-05-13, 08:29   Link #1936
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja9 View Post
Well, in many Japanese Polls, new digidestined of 02 (except Ken) are usually at the bottom. So, they don't seem to be very popular in Japan.

A relatively recent example: https://twitter.com/yukimidigi/statu...72333094305795
That seems to be a poll only for Adventure and 02, so isn't that sort of result to be expected? I'd wager that even among 02's fans a fair portion--if not majority--like the Adventure cast more. That doesn't really say much about widespread opinion of 02 as a whole.
Old 2015-05-13, 08:57   Link #1937
Idealist 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja9 View Post
I really like 02 (though it has many flaws). In fact, 02 is one of favorite seasons. Also, Ken is one of my favorite characters of Digimon.

However, I do not mind if the staff retcon (partially or completely) 02, because I think the story of Tri could be developed better if they ignore some issues of 02.

Well , Thats not surprising.
I don't have to say Why Davis was Bad .
Yoiei act too Bossy , Like a 'Know it All''.
And Cody Just has so many issue like ''I can't trust Ken'' ,''I won't accept my Digi-mental for Lying'' Or ''TK has a Dark side So I can't Jogress with him ''
Its like he believe himself to be special just because he doesn't have a father.
Somebody should have drag him to an Orphanage and show him that there are Kids that doesn't have a Father , Mother or A Family !
Plus , Daemon ark proved how useless Yoiei and Cody would have been against Adventure 01 villain !
Their attitude is '' Waaa We killed a Evil Digimon , We are So Bad ! Wa Wa Wa''
Seriously , Even Davis was better then them.
Daemon ark proved that Yoiei & Cody were only good enough to play ''Kiddy Game'' with Digimon Emperor! They were nothing more then 2 ''Know it all''.
Old 2015-05-13, 09:41   Link #1938
Konja9

Quote:
That seems to be a poll only for Adventure and 02, so isn't that sort of result to be expected? I'd wager that even among 02's fans a fair portion--if not majority--like the Adventure cast more. That doesn't really say much about widespread opinion of 02 as a whole.
This is fair enough.

I guess we 'll have to wait and see how they will develop the story.
Old 2015-05-13, 14:38   Link #1939
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
. Saying DA2 is disaster is simply over reacting.
It's really not. They had some good things sure but it was mostly bad things.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 14:40   Link #1940
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

02 isnt bad, its just pretty dull and underwhelming compared to other main series

Tags
digimon