AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-29, 17:46   Link #41
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
Both Ninja Gaiden and Batman were too annoying mainly because the enemies respawned every time their spawn-spot was scrolled out of sight. So imagine the frustration when there is this one son of a bitch on a platform, in a crucial spot, that throws something at you. Getting hit means you get thrown back, so getting hit also means respawning the mob. Repeat until dead. Or better: pitfalls at both sides of the platform so you can die instantly >.>
Ninja Gaiden 3 was the hardest out of the trilogy for the NES. It had the same respawning problems the first two games had, and it only gave the player 5 continues. Very annoying.

Battletoads was another game that would really test my patience. One would have to repeatedly practice and remember the layouts of the levels if they wished to even have a chance of progressing through the game. The farthest I've made it was level 7, and there are 12 levels. I don't know what RARE was thinking when they made this game for kids.

The Contra and Castlevania games were loads of fun. And of course, they really kicked ass in the music department .
Old 2010-06-29, 17:49   Link #42
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Battletoads is totally the hardest NES game ever, urgh, the hoverbike level is almost impossible without tools.
Old 2010-06-29, 18:06   Link #43
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Has anyone here played a game called "8 Eyes" for the NES? It featured a man being accompanied by an eagle and they would travel to different countries around the world (Germany, Spain, Africa, Arabia, Italy, India, Egypt, and the House of Ruth). In each of those levels, you would have to fight some of the weirdest enemies and ridiculous bosses to obtain some gems that would be needed to open a passage. Here's a link to a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkA15yT7wcw
Old 2010-06-29, 20:38   Link #44
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Battletoads was another game that would really test my patience. One would have to repeatedly practice and remember the layouts of the levels if they wished to even have a chance of progressing through the game. The farthest I've made it was level 7, and there are 12 levels. I don't know what RARE was thinking when they made this game for kids.
Don't forget that playing with a buddy in 2p mode made the game virtually unwinnable and to make the matter worse I recall it being towards the end of the game. I recall there being a rather abstract work around, but that's missing the point when the market was pretty much kids still in elementary to even try to think about the concept of programming and what have you. Also, pretty sure I remember seeing a battletoads arcade machine, or my memory could just be screwing with me, if so that could have something to do with it.

All this talk about NES games, anyone remember using that old Game Genie? Which basically consisted of putting the game-genie cartridge into the NES and then sticking the Game cartridge to the game genie which is still connected to the NES... then praying it would actually work or that removing your NES Game from the Game Genie would result in it ripping out its "guts". If it did work, the best you could get out of it was skipping to another stage. Yeah not every memory is a happy one . Honestly, you can probably fix a handful of modern children disorders by going Spartan and giving them a NES and only a NES to play with until they are like nine. You're kid is always acting like he's hopped up on twelve levels of sugar overdose? Well dust that cartridge until the ol' console boots up your copy of Mario. What's that you think there's a problem with the NES itself, well your in for a grand ol time go take some cotton swabs and some rubberbands lil McGyver and gently chisle the dust and dirt out from the NES for the next forty minutes. Got the game working already, well time for bed.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 11:09   Link #45
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Yeah, 2-player mode on Battletoads was even more difficult because if one person died, the other player would have to suffer for it by being returned all the way back to the previous checkpoint in the level.

I found the Game Genie to be a straight forward peripheral attachment. It was a very useful tool if one just wanted to quickly pass a game .
Old 2010-06-30, 12:59   Link #46
Ending

Quote:
Battletoads is totally the hardest NES game ever, urgh, the hoverbike level is almost impossible without tools.
Not the first time I hear this. It wasn't that hard really, since the barricades gave you good second or two to prepare. Some of the later levels, on the other hand... I don't think I ever made it through. Even on emulator it's frustratingly difficult.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 15:21   Link #47
NoLongerSane

Lol, I was looking at my brother's game stash and remembered playing some of the older sports games. I just saw some games that brought back some very fond memories. Does anyone ever remembered playing Super High Impact for the SNES or the Mutant Leagues for the Sega Genesis? Those were some very fun games to play. I recall winning alot of matchs in the Mutant Leagues by pretty much killing off players to where the team could not continue despite being ahead in points. As for Super High Impact, I enjoyed the game alot because it was one of those fun football games that made you laugh at times when the commentary would start.

Also, just a quick question, but did anyone ever use any of those specialized game controlers for their older systems (Genesis, NES, SNES,ect)? I was just asking because I found my old Triax 360 controler for the SNES/Genesis and was recalling all the fun I had with it way back when.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 05:49   Link #48
521JI

diablo 2 rapes all ur assess
Old 2010-07-05, 16:15   Link #49
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I guess nobody remember the platformer on Genesis called Chakan?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 16:44   Link #50
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Would playing Gran Turismo 2 with an X360 controller on EPSXE count as retro?
Old 2010-07-06, 01:09   Link #51
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

The oldest game i still play recently is Uncharted Waters / New Horizons on the PC.
Also had an arcade emulator for me to play Knights of the Round and D&D: Tower of Doom on my PC.

Miss those good ol beat em up arcade games.
Old 2010-07-06, 03:56   Link #52
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Miss those good ol beat em up arcade games.
Hell yes, I sure miss the days when my friends and I would spend hours playing Alien vs the Predator.

I also enjoyed Knights of the Round and both D&D games (specially the first one).
Old 2010-07-07, 00:55   Link #53
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Hell yes, I sure miss the days when my friends and I would spend hours playing Alien vs the Predator.

I also enjoyed Knights of the Round and both D&D games (specially the first one).
Good taste my man, knights of the round, and avp was the bomb, althouhg avp really sucked if some asshole was hogging the predator. Also the x-men 8 player extraganza was the bomb, seriously colossus and nightcrawler was some great stuff. I still do play metal slug x which is just metal slug 2 reskinned with 3's unit model and vehicles. I wish arcades would come back.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 06:17   Link #54
Theowne
耳をすませば

I just replayed TMNT: Turtles of Time on SNES with a buddy over the internet, and I have to say....I seem to recall that game being waaay longer.

And while it's not retro, I'm really digging Trine on the PC. The gameplay certainly feels retro, but it's been dressed in a fantastic visual coating. In fact, it might be my number 1 in terms of visuals.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 17:07   Link #55
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521JI View Post
diablo 2 rapes all ur assess
D2 failed epically.

No quicksave, fail.

D1 was the shit, though. I hope to hell that D3 brings back what made D1 great, and for those who want that same brand of awesome, pick up Torchlight for the PC or Dungeon Hunter for the iPhone.

Major throwbacks to the original Diablo! (Which, in itself, is a throwback to Gauntlet, but y'know, originality is not Blizzard's strong suit).
Old 2010-07-07, 18:07   Link #56
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
D2 failed epically.

No quicksave, fail.

D1 was the shit, though. I hope to hell that D3 brings back what made D1 great, and for those who want that same brand of awesome, pick up Torchlight for the PC or Dungeon Hunter for the iPhone.

Major throwbacks to the original Diablo! (Which, in itself, is a throwback to Gauntlet, but y'know, originality is not Blizzard's strong suit).
Lost Vikings is wagging it's finger at you. I kind of wished blizz would do something more on the lines of BG2: Shadow of Ann, but black isle and interplay are no longer what they once were. Still D3 looks amazing and after recently rebeating hellmode d2 I can say that game has aged really well, and Torchlight is fun, but it really doesn't hold a candle to d2, The one redeeming quality of torchlight is the fact that you can fish. Of the games that riffed diablo would probably be mythos from the guys that produced the stinker that was hellgate london. Hey heres to hoping that game will finally see the light of day.
Old 2010-07-07, 19:32   Link #57
qwertqwert8989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
The one redeeming quality of torchlight is the fact that you can fish.
Thank god. If there was one thing I sorely wanted in Diablo, it was to fish
qwertqwert8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 19:42   Link #58
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertqwert8989 View Post
Thank god. If there was one thing I sorely wanted in Diablo, it was to fish
I'm not going to lie, back when I played WoW, my pre raid ritual would be to go fish for Crawdads and try to fish out a mister pinchy for 40 plus minutes just because it was soothing and quite relaxing. Also the fish give pretty sweet benefits to your pet in torchlight.

also when u consider that you didn't even have to be in the same room as diablo and you could kill him with him never touching you, yes fishing would have been a nice addition.
Old 2010-07-07, 22:14   Link #59
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I didn't like Diablo 2 at all, so I don't think it's better than Torchlight. Diablo 2 could have been a great game but it tried to pretend to be an MMO, what with the corpse-runs and the no quicksaving (or even regular saving, only the MMO-style constant-save-state).

Other than that it was quite good, but still basically the same thing as Diablo 1 and Torchlight and Gauntlet, etc. Click the monster. But it lacked the unique part of Diablo 1--the massive, massive hordes of monsters.
Old 2010-07-08, 01:29   Link #60
Ending

Going to go with the mainstream here and say Diablo 2 was great. Good videos, good mechanics, and great atmosphere. In comparison, Diablo 3 looks too cartoony, so I'm guessing they are going to make it a family-friendly game.

Speaking of which... Dungeon Keeper was in a similar position. I tried the original version once and while it was rustier than its sequel, man, the atmosphere was still there. The same guys who made DK2 a foolish merry-go-around game also butchered Theme Park 2. Still annoyed, since Theme Park 1 was great even on SNES.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote