AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

View Poll Results: What Is Your Favourite Star Trek TV Series?
Star Trek: The Original Series 7 11.11%
Star Trek: The Animated Series 0 0%
Star Trek: The Next Generation 28 44.44%
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 18 28.57%
Star Trek: Voyager 10 15.87%
Star Trek: Enterprise 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-21, 23:04   Link #41
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
No OSHA Compliance is common in pretty much any sci-fi series!
Old 2011-01-21, 23:10   Link #42
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It doesn't make it any less funny.

Though bitching about it is like complaining about shit exploding. It's cool!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 23:17   Link #43
GundamFan0083

The Original Series of course!!
Bad hair do's,
Bell bottoms,
Really cheesy special effects,
and Fight choreography by William Statner.

What's not to love?

Plus the endless Red Shirt jokes that ensued....

Old 2011-02-23, 06:39   Link #44
Doma Yuset
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Doma Yuset Send a message via Yahoo to Doma Yuset
I enjoy a great deal of TNG, but I think I'm gonna go with the original series.
Doma Yuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 17:26   Link #45
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've been a long time Star Trek fan, starting with Star Trek II in the theater at the age of five and some TOS episodes around the same time so I'd have an idea who these people were. I have mosted most of the episodes from every series. I think I've not seen only one episode the TNG, one from DS9, and maybe at most ten from Voyager. (During the seventh season of that UPN changed from anilog to digital satelite, so I had to spend weeks playing tag with the various feeds trying to find it, eventually finding a Canadian feed that was reliable to finish that series and use it for Enterprise as well). Also I think I've not seen one or two of the Animated Star Trek...even though I have them all I've not gotten around to watching them yet.

Do I have a favorite? Hmmm. The thing about Star Trek is that you have good and bad episodes in all the various series. TNG had the higher number of good episodes, partly because the writers were able to try out things and that the cast was very good. You could care what happened to these people. The TOS cast was actually better in making you care about their characters. You even cared what happened to Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov, who didn't get all that much character during the show. The personal interactions in the TOS cast seemed to be the best, especially the Kirk, Spock, McCoy dynamics. That seemed to be the major problem with Voyager and Enterprise for me. I just really didn't care what happened to the crew.

DS9's crew was partly there, though I'll admit I really didn't care all that much about them until after the Defiant arrived in the third season and Work arrived in the fourth. After Worf arrived the writers seemed to get that they needed to make the rest of the cast connect more so people would care about them. Bashir was mostly unlikable or at least ackward the first two seasons, but by the fourth and fifth seasons he was actually interesting. O'Brian had been interesting the whole time, but got more interesting as things went on. Quark and Odo were always fun to watch play off each other. And then there is "Simple" Garak, the most interesting character in the show...and he's a guest star. Nog went from being the semi-educated friend for Jake to being a rather interesting Star Fleet officer in the middle of a war. Sisko was dynamic when he wanted to be. Kira changed as she mellowed out over the years. Dax was always interesting to watch, especially when she's start going Klingon on people. Worf was already interesting when he arrived and they just added to his character (he's also probably has the most screen time of any character in Star Trek). The problem was that it took them three to four years to get the crew to a place I cared, and by then their was a war on. (definately not the prior Utopian ideal of Star Trek...but it was really cool to watch.)

I always had a problem with Voyager. The only time the U.S.S. Voyager looked right to me was during the Year of Hell episodes. She's been in fire fights on and off for years, yet the ship looked fresh off out of the shipyard. In the Year of Hell, they left all the carbon scoring, the hull breaches, and various internal damage the ship got after prolonged combat in place. The ship is out by itself with no Star Fleet support and barely any support of any kind. The hull should look patched and some systems should be messed up when things can't be replaced with replicated parts. And some things should look like they were jury-rigged because they used alien parts to keep the ship working.

Enterprise...well it had potential, and I can understand why Captain Archer comes off as bad...this is the first time humans had done this. There were no real precidents to use, so he makes mistakes. They also learn from these mistakes. As the series goes on he doesn't repeat his mistakes (and actually wins fist fights against aliens). We see the beginnings of what would be the rules used by Kirk and Picard, but not fully prefected rules. The early shots of them using a proto-Prime Directive don't always make sense, but then some times the Prime Directive didn't make sense when Kirk and Picard used it...or abused it. And while the storyline approach of the third season worked, they forced it to be too long and didn't follow up with an aftermath of why this incident wouldn't be mentioned in the future Star Treks. The Fourth season and its ending of the convoluted Temporal Cold War plotline and moving on to short arc stories set up Enterprise to be what people had thought it was going to be at the start...a set up from the birth of the Federation and the Romulan War. Unfortunately they were cancelled while filming what is considered their very best episode arc...the Mirror Universe plot that servers as both sequel and prequel TOS episodes (sequel to "The Tholian Web" in what happened to U.S.S. Defiant? and prequel to "Mirror, Mirror", in what was the Terran Empire like before Kirk arrived?).

Now add in the 2009 movie. It was a very fun movie. I had issues with a few things aside from the director's lighting effects fetish. The actors did their roles fairly well with Karl Urban having McCoy down in all except accent, which McCoy only really gets when he's annoyed, older, or playing around. The ship looks good except at one angle (which is oddly the angle they presented it to us at first), though their weirdness with its size won't be resolved until they show it to use again next movie. I object to what I considered a cheap engineering room, since I know that when TNG was made, they specifically wrote in the engineering scenes in the pilot so they'd be forced to build that set instead of forcing use of some refinery for it later. They also managed to get around reboot problem easily enough...even pointing it out on screen.

Was it Star Trek? That is debatable since none of the movies could really follow the more humanistic ideals type plot lines of a television episode and certainly not the Utopian ideals of TNG for the plotline. A movie requires action it seems. TMP from 1979 was the only one that tried to do a more or less normal Star Trek plot on the big screen. If it had been a 50 minute plot it would have worked, but not the long and slow movie that it was. Oddly the complaint a lot have is over a scene I really like...the long reindroduction to the U.S.S. Enterprise with the long music and effects driven beauty passes and the later launching from spacedock scenes being wonderful if you are into spaceships (and/or music), but boring if you want plot. I will say the character interactions were not as good in this film. Partly because I think they didn't quite have interactions between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy right, and Admiral Kirk seemed to have too many issues with Captain Decker...which seems odd since Kirk supposedly hand picked Decker to replace him as captain. The later films had the correct character interactions. Also I really did not like the earthtones and greys uniforms in that movie...aside from the Admiral's uniform that had the nice white over a darker grey look. While the Star Trek II uniforms were much more military in style, they looked good.

But a favorite? No. I don't. Because I like each of them in their own way.
Old 2011-02-24, 04:43   Link #46
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Star Trek: The Next Generation.
It was the first Star Trek series i watched.
Old 2011-02-24, 13:52   Link #47
Gin
*Artist

Star Trek: The Next Generation. In many ways it's superior but will never be as recognized as the original.
Old 2011-02-24, 16:21   Link #48
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Probably TNG. First one I watched.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 23:58   Link #49
PaganPrincess
Banned

I think Star Trek: The Next Generation, though I'm a big fan of the original series too.
PaganPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 03:48   Link #50
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Something to make fans smile this Easter

Spoiler:

Follow up is here

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:24   Link #51
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Something to make fans smile this Easter

Spoiler:

Follow up is here
Very cool!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote