Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-01-31, 11:21   Link #141
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Are you guys really surprised? The whole of TESO is a money grab, they want a part of the MMO pie just like everyone else. So it makes sense to add these kinds of things at the beginning, where interest from gamers will be highest. They should've stuck to offline where they were doing quite well, TESO seems like it has a good chance of destroying them financially once it bombs (and I'm certain that it will bomb, as brand is not enough to carry an MMO these days).
Note, this isn't Bethisda's MMO, its the other company. Bethisda won't be hurt at all from this besides people getting butt hurt about lore and quitting the series. which is unlikely.
Old 2014-01-31, 14:18   Link #142
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I'm gettin it. It's normal for a regular version of any game to be 60 bucks. That's how it has been the passed few years. 80 bucks for delux is also normal. Game prices will always rise, for this, it should be nothing new. I don't see why you are all getting worked up about it being a "money grab." If another new P2P mmo were to come out right now, it would also be 60 bucks and 80 for the delux. Prime examples are new games on steam. 50 for the original, and if there is those bonuses added to it, it's usually an extra 10-20 depending on what game it is. Plus, it's not a cash shop.

It would be an ISSUE if let's say they increased the monthly price to like 17/mo or 20/mo, but it's not.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”

Last edited by barcode120x; 2014-01-31 at 14:38.
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 18:24   Link #143
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Note, this isn't Bethisda's MMO, its the other company. Bethisda won't be hurt at all from this besides people getting butt hurt about lore and quitting the series. which is unlikely.
Both the developer (ZeniMax Online Studios) and the publisher (Bethesda Softworks) are owned by ZeniMax Media. If ZeniMax Media goes bust because of this, I doubt we'll see another TES for a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
I don't see why you are all getting worked up about it being a "money grab." If another new P2P mmo were to come out right now, it would also be 60 bucks and 80 for the delux. ... Plus, it's not a cash shop.
I was too vague, sorry. I meant to refer to the whole front loading DLC thing. But also more generally to taking a perfectly good single-player franchise and trying to put an MMO spin on it. And rolling with a sub model for the first few months, when interest in the game will be highest. It will go F2P within 6 to 9 months after release. Also, TESO was confirmed to have a cash shop in it.

And just to set the record straight, I am not "worked up". I have zero interest in playing this game (TES = offline for me) and I am merely observing its failure cascade with morbid curiosity.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 23:27   Link #144
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Wow, isn't this quite the shitstorm from making Imperial a CE only race, and the complete gutting of the point of having factions. Haven't seen a single place that's been positive about this announcement. I was looking keen to play this, then they add paywalls on top of premium content prices. The idea of a subscription game is you get everything. Guess my interesting in this game is rapidly dwindling. Not that it looked terribly impressive to begin with. Guess it's up to EQ:N now.
Old 2014-01-31, 23:27   Link #145
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Both the developer (ZeniMax Online Studios) and the publisher (Bethesda Softworks) are owned by ZeniMax Media. If ZeniMax Media goes bust because of this, I doubt we'll see another TES for a decade.
On the contrary, the Bethesda division would be separated from the failed mmo, which would be allowed to go bust. Bethesda makes money, and that's the part that will always be spared.
Old 2014-01-31, 23:30   Link #146
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... is it too late for us to say "we told you so" yet?
Old 2014-02-01, 00:39   Link #147
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... is it too late for us to say "we told you so" yet?
You still need to wait until the reviews come out.
Old 2014-02-01, 01:40   Link #148
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Wow, isn't this quite the shitstorm from making Imperial a CE only race, and the complete gutting of the point of having factions. Haven't seen a single place that's been positive about this announcement. I was looking keen to play this, then they add paywalls on top of premium content prices. The idea of a subscription game is you get everything. Guess my interesting in this game is rapidly dwindling. Not that it looked terribly impressive to begin with. Guess it's up to EQ:N now.
Maybe they'll get it right for Elder Scrolls Online Reborn ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 06:52   Link #149
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

lol, maybe they will, maybe they will.
Old 2014-02-01, 15:29   Link #150
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:

I was too vague, sorry. I meant to refer to the whole front loading DLC thing. But also more generally to taking a perfectly good single-player franchise and trying to put an MMO spin on it. And rolling with a sub model for the first few months, when interest in the game will be highest. It will go F2P within 6 to 9 months after release. Also, TESO was confirmed to have a cash shop in it.

And just to set the record straight, I am not "worked up". I have zero interest in playing this game (TES = offline for me) and I am merely observing its failure cascade with morbid curiosity.
Lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I'll probably still play it, I'm one of the try-any-mmo-type of guys haha. If their cash shop isn't a P2Win and something similar to like what GW2 or SWTOR have done, it shouldn't be too bad. Then again, some cosmetics are delicious enough to shell out some money on like I had done on SWTOR

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 16:29   Link #151
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm just going to ride the doom of this industry out in FFXIV, watching all of the other games descend into F2P mediocrity.

And if Yoshida's overruled by his corporate overlords and XIV goes F2P, well then, I'll just have to say goodbye to the genre as a whole.
Old 2014-02-01, 18:45   Link #152
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Well MMOs are too expensive to upkeep anyway, especially for the things we demand from it these days.

I say just make an RPG but with optional co-op sections... Dark Souls come to mind, though not as restrictive.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 20:38   Link #153
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well MMOs are too expensive to upkeep anyway, especially for the things we demand from it these days.

I say just make an RPG but with optional co-op sections... Dark Souls come to mind, though not as restrictive.
I would love that, its what the gaming market could do with, not another mmo. That will likely just go free to play after 6-8 months.
Old 2014-02-01, 21:58   Link #154
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
On the contrary, the Bethesda division would be separated from the failed mmo, which would be allowed to go bust. Bethesda makes money, and that's the part that will always be spared.
I think it's going to affect more than just Bethesda alone since Zenimax Media Inc controls

- iD (Doom/Quake)
- Arkane (dishonored)
- Tango Gameworks (The Evil Within)
- MachineGames (Wolfenstein: New Order)

Whatever losses Zenimax Studio incurred is going to end up affecting other divisions. Whether it's going to be more horse armor dlc or rushed release, someone is going have to pay the bills somehow.
Old 2014-02-01, 22:14   Link #155
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Whatever losses Zenimax Studio incurred is going to end up affecting other divisions. Whether it's going to be more horse armor dlc or rushed release, someone is going have to pay the bills somehow.
Exactly. An MMO is massively expensive to make, it would be naive to think that ZeniMax is not using profits from other divisions to finance it. If they can't recoup those costs, it will affect the future of their other franchises. They probably won't go bust but they might be forced to sell off some of their more lucrative IP, or try to bring new investors on board.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 22:26   Link #156
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Exactly. An MMO is massively expensive to make, it would be naive to think that ZeniMax is not using profits from other divisions to finance it. If they can't recoup those costs, it will affect the future of their other franchises. They probably won't go bust but they might be forced to sell off some of their more lucrative IP, or try to bring new investors on board.
I would rule out selling off IP, that's something only bankrupted company would do but i wouldn't be surprised if other divisions are pressured to release more titles/dlc in shorter time period with less resources.
Old 2014-02-02, 15:04   Link #157
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I'm gettin it. It's normal for a regular version of any game to be 60 bucks. That's how it has been the passed few years. 80 bucks for delux is also normal. Game prices will always rise, for this, it should be nothing new. I don't see why you are all getting worked up about it being a "money grab." If another new P2P mmo were to come out right now, it would also be 60 bucks and 80 for the delux. Prime examples are new games on steam. 50 for the original, and if there is those bonuses added to it, it's usually an extra 10-20 depending on what game it is.
It's a big deal because it shows the company already going back on its word before the game is even out. They kept touting their subscription model because they claimed it allowed them to make content without charging us extra for every single piece. And now? If you want to play Imperial, better pay extra.

Quote:
Plus, it's not a cash shop.=
But the game does have a cash shop...
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 00:43   Link #158
SeaDragon
Leviathan

I probably won't be getting this game... it's disappointing because I love the TES series. I would have preferred a new TES game with a co-op option instead, so I could play with my brother.. but an MMO? meh..
Old 2014-02-07, 18:39   Link #159
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Hah! Angry Joe put up a video of his beta review and it was taken down. XD

Good Show there Zen, way to take criticism.
Old 2014-02-07, 19:51   Link #160
Jaden

OK, tested it and within an hour, I already feel like I'm playing a generic MMO rather than playing an Elder Scolls game. This makes me sad, because I'm quite fond of the Elder Scrolls universe.

An epic, story-driven game can draw on its universe but also builds it in a good way. A subscription MMO feeds on its universe without giving anything back. The narrative will always be sacrificed in favor of longevity, and new elements must constantly be added to satisfy the subscribers. The result is a bloated setting, unable to integrate to another real game with a proper story. Who can imagine a Warcraft 4 with WoW still around?

Maybe TES is more resilient against this kind of corruption, since it is a vast setting and the story of each game is very much detached from the others. Different time periods are also used quite a bit. Also, this game won't go on for 10+ years like WoW is.

(because it's bad)