AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-16, 09:50   Link #581
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Strange how none of you mentioned Love Hina while discussing Harem Anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Alto doesn't fit the mode because he's too pretty (usually the pretty boy design is reserved for the rival), and because he's actually quite opinionated and have his own goals in life (instead of being lead by fate/or the harem).
Alto was deliberately designed as the most attractive character in the series because there was an attempt to suck in female fans, according to an interview.

Its working, it seems

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-16, 09:52   Link #582
anselfir
Style Über Alles

tak you glorious bastard. i wub u
Old 2008-08-16, 19:28   Link #583
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Strange how none of you mentioned Love Hina while discussing Harem Anime.
Yeah, or Negima! while addressing shotacon harem anime....

Wait... it's lolicon too... Uhhhhhh...
Old 2008-08-16, 19:51   Link #584
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
She's been thrown into battles with no inherent ability to protect herself.
What exactly do you consider her singing which can disrupt Varja to be than?

Quote:
She has glowing somethings in her womb.
She doesn't know that, so this has ZERO bearing on her actions thus far.

Quote:
She can communicate with a hyperviolent enemy alien lifeforce that everyone is batsh1t sacred over,
She can? I thought her and the entire Ranka fan base forgot all about this. I wonder if she has to lose Alto to Sheryl before she "remembers"

Quote:
and is being used as a tool by the under-government as a result.
But Alto-kun said it was okay so it's no problem!

Quote:
Has lost her family in war
Well at least she had a family unlike Sheryl and she doesn't know she lost them since those memories are repressed.

Quote:
and is trying to get out from under the overbearing eye of a gar big brother.
Ozma spoiled her rotten and devoted himself to her which probably cost him his relationship with Cathy. Ranka was sent to an exclusive girls high school and is clearly a spoiled brat going by her actions in episode 5 after her "fight" with Ozma.

Quote:
I'd say she's doing really well given the circumstances...
What a hard life Ranka had, having to eat pineapple cake while Sheryl eat out of garbage
Old 2008-08-16, 19:57   Link #585
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
What exactly do you consider her singing which can disrupt Varja to be than?

She doesn't know that, so this has ZERO bearing on her actions thus far.

She can? I thought her and the entire Ranka fan base forgot all about this. I wonder if she has to lose Alto to Sheryl before she "remembers"

But Alto-kun said it was okay so it's no problem!

Well at least she had a family unlike Sheryl and she doesn't know she lost them since those memories are repressed.

Ozma spoiled her rotten and devoted himself to her which probably cost him his relationship with Cathy. Ranka was sent to an exclusive girls high school and is clearly a spoiled brat going by her actions in episode 5 after her "fight" with Ozma.

What a hard life Ranka had, having to eat pineapple cake while Sheryl eat out of garbage
Soooo.... Wait! Uh... You don't LIKE Ranka then.... Hmmm...

OK, just checking. Kaybye....
Old 2008-08-16, 20:03   Link #586
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:

A pointless post, and very wordy, indeed.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-16, 21:12   Link #587
aneeshadc

Quote:

The point isnt about whether or not he likes Ranka. It's the fact that we are supposed to cut her some slack when most of the problems you mentioned are moot due to the fact that she isnt even aware of them or has completely dismissed them.
So her so-called problem hav'nt affected her actions in any way.
So why should we cut her some slack again?
In any case, I like her but I have to admit I like sheryl so much more for obvious reasons so i might be a little biased.
From, Ranka's point of view, She really doesnt have a lot to worry about besides Alto-kun.... since she cant remember her past, doesnt know about her connection to the Vajra, or about being Grace's ultimate tool/trump card. She might have a few lingering doubts about elmo, though it really doesnt seem like it at all. Ozma being protective isnt really a worry any more since he's pretty much letting her do whatever she wants anyway.
Sooooooo considereing that Alto seems to be the only major source of anxiety for her, I'd have to say that she really doesnt have it so hard at the moment and doesnt explain or justify her actions in anyway.
So, yeah , thats why its kinda hard to feel real sympathy for Ranka , sure I felt a little bad for but thats about it.
Old 2008-08-16, 21:23   Link #588
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
The point isnt about whether or not he likes Ranka.
Yeah, I know, but thanks anyway... I, like many am just burned out bothering with the Ranka is or isn't worthy of Alto, better than Sheryl, allowed to live discussions and am done.

Cool?
Old 2008-08-16, 22:21   Link #589
aneeshadc

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but thanks anyway... I, like many am just burned out bothering with the Ranka is or isn't worthy of Alto, better than Sheryl, allowed to live discussions and am done.

Cool?

Hey ,It isnt that she isnt worthy of alto at all, I just think they're not very compatible with each other at least not to the extent that sheryl and alto are. I do happen to like her quite a bit you know, just that its frustating that she is portrayed the way she is. She is doing the best she can, but it does seem like she tends to deal with life in a selective manner, unintentionally of course, but it doesnt change the fact that she does do it. i think she is quite awesome on her own but if she does get into a relationship with alto, i dont see how she is going to improve.
As an individual character, ranka stands to gain the most by losing in the LT, from my POV. You dont have share the same point of view at all
YUp , nw we're cool.....maybe
jus kiddin
Old 2008-08-16, 22:34   Link #590
Westlo
Lets be reality

The way Ranka is portrayed is really annoying, I actually enjoyed her character initially, it's amazing I can watch the blueray version episode 1 and enjoy her character yet get really annoyed with her with every recent episode. And I think Sheryl has this triangle in the bag so it has nothing to do with her being a "threat" to my "precious" Sheryl-sama, I just flat out hate the way they have depicted her lately.

Hopefully they redeem her character in the final 6 episodes for the people who aren't watching the show in Ranka vision, where in this version of the show Ranka can see hundreds of feet in the air to see Alto.
Old 2008-08-16, 22:57   Link #591
Ayumi08
Neko Lover

I agree with Westlo. I don't hate Ranka but I certainly didn't like how Ranka is portrayed recently. She just doesn't seem to be getting anywhere in terms of character growth and I thought she's become the less exciting of the three mains to watch. I suppose the writers are doing this on purpose. Question is will they let her get stuck in that mode till the end of the series? Also,her part in the triangle seems a bit dead to me unless her character undergoes some kind of change...she's practically out of it.
Old 2008-08-16, 23:02   Link #592
Lostdreams

Quote:
The way Ranka is portrayed is really annoying, I actually enjoyed her character initially, it's amazing I can watch the blueray version episode 1 and enjoy her character yet get really annoyed with her with every recent episode. And I think Sheryl has this triangle in the bag so it has nothing to do with her being a "threat" to my "precious" Sheryl-sama, I just flat out hate the way they have depicted her lately.

Hopefully they redeem her character in the final 6 episodes for the people who aren't watching the show in Ranka vision, where in this version of the show Ranka can see hundreds of feet in the air to see Alto.
As I watched the first ep I didn't like Sheryl and liked Ranka. Sheryl was mean. I really really hope they can go back to the epicness of the firsts. Like the amazing action scenes.
Old 2008-08-17, 01:18   Link #593
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Next chance for a character breakthrough for Ranka would be when she remembers her repressed memories.
Old 2008-08-17, 03:14   Link #594
Wesley84

Quote:

My only sore spot with Ranka is how Alto automatically makes everything better for her, no matter what it might be. That he's suddenly the only reason she sings flat-out sucks. I mean, if she wants to confirm if she personally likes singing doesn't it defeat the point if you get all genki at the fact he's flying over head?

She'd be a better character if she'd simply dump the guy, because she gives him way too much freakin' credit. Hell, the only reason he saves her is because he apparently has this compulsive need to save his dead mother.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying Ranka. Looking for Ai-kun, Bresra helping her look for Ai-kun, getting angry at Ozma, basically any Alto-free scene with Ranka is gold.
Old 2008-08-17, 04:44   Link #595
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Well heartbreak does have a way of making someone grow up attitude wise. Nothing saying growing up as building up armor around a once innocent heart.
Old 2008-08-17, 04:49   Link #596
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Well heartbreak does have a way of making someone grow up attitude wise. Nothing saying growing up as building up armor around a once innocent heart.
I just hope she realises Alto's practically a fantasy of her's, and not a person she seriously recognizes. Probably can't blame her for building him up though, since, if his brother is right, Alto's a one-man show that never stops. He walks around without actually thinking about anything on auto-actor.
Old 2008-08-18, 15:38   Link #597
magnuskn

Just throwing out a short speculation:

Ranka has by now three guys who are trying to protect her ( Ozma, Alto, Brera ).

Also, she seems to be somehow always waiting for someone to do just that.

So, maybe itīs her Vajra-queen instincts which compel her to seek out some guy who will be a protector for her?
Old 2008-08-18, 18:37   Link #598
Wesley84

You'll have to add Ai-kun to that list before long. Actually it might be that guys seek HER out in order to protect her.
Old 2008-08-18, 20:24   Link #599
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Just throwing out a short speculation:

Ranka has by now three guys who are trying to protect her ( Ozma, Alto, Brera ).

Also, she seems to be somehow always waiting for someone to do just that.

So, maybe itīs her Vajra-queen instincts which compel her to seek out some guy who will be a protector for her?
Ozma dedicated his midlife to Ranka, at the cost of his relationship with Cathy. Brera lost his arm (even though it's an implant) to save her. Alto almost got killed trying to save her (although he would have almost-got-killed regardless). Nanase is always on Ranka's side.

And Sheryl only has Alto (may be) to protect her and cyborg Grace trying to kill her. She's practically on death roll for all it maters.

Seems like Sheryl got the short end of the stick. Without Sheryl, I actually wouldn't mind Ranka and may be even empathize with her. But Sheryl was introduced, and will still be there even after she dies. So Ranka will have to go back in line and pay her dues.
Old 2008-08-18, 20:31   Link #600
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Ozma dedicated his midlife to Ranka, at the cost of his relationship with Cathy. Brera lost his arm (even though it's an implant) to save her. Alto almost got killed trying to save her (although he would have almost-got-killed regardless). Nanase is always on Ranka's side.
I don't think it was his mid-life. More like his youth and effective bachelor years (twenties). Really, he's not that old. And Alto doesn't count, because he has some compulsive need to save his dead mother. Probably could have been anybody.

Quote:
And Sheryl only has Alto (may be) to protect her and cyborg Grace trying to kill her. She's practically on death roll for all it maters.
Grace isn't trying to kill her. It was abandonment, no more, no less. At least at this point anyway. Who knows what "twists" the writers will try to introduce down the line?

Quote:
Seems like Sheryl got the short end of the stick.
You get what you pay for.
Closed Thread