AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-03-11, 12:38   Link #801
StarTouch
Yandere for win :O

Oh boy, just finished the game a hour ago. Dragon Age 2 is actually a fairly good game, in my opinion, but if one were to compare it to its predecessor...one's opinion may be unfavorable. Regardless, I had some good fun on my first play-through.

I normally start my first play-through (as a male Hawke) taking a helpful stance (with the occasional wisecrack comments) and being an overall "good hero". I'm going to start up my second play-through with a ton more...aggressive / "evil" approaches *grins*. There were some reasonably tough boss encounters (holy crap, Ancient Rock Wraith did make me sweat, I admit hehe) but overall, boss encounters seem rather tame...at least below Nightmare.

Without spoiling anything, favorite two companions would be Bethany and Merrill. Did I mention Merrill? She totally made me go "awwww, this girl needs a hug NOW" (...and I followed that up...with some "action" ). Bethany was pretty cool, I wasn't expecting much out of a sister character but was pleasantly surprised. Varric would come in third, he's not bad but...why did he shave the beard .

While I thought DA : O is a superior game to DA2, I definitely had fun playing through and would definitely do so again (just to be an evil lady Hawke). DA2 is still a solid RPG, comparisons aside. I especially loved the voice-acting and the dialogue wheel was alright in my opinion. Combat seems fine to me but I disliked the...lack of "equipment options" for my companions (namely, main body equipment pieces). Ending was rather short and abrupt, I felt, and left a few questions unanswered but I guess Bioware is whipping up a continuation to all this in Dragon Age 3 (or future DLCs).
Old 2011-03-11, 12:54   Link #802
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*snort* Merrill is not even trying to get me to like her, is she?

Spoiler for Merrill and the Night Terrors quest:

Though having said that, it was perfectly in character for her, so no complaints about the writing. Aside from the massive facepalm.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 13:02   Link #803
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*snort* Merrill is not even trying to get me to like her, is she?

Spoiler for Merrill and the Night Terrors quest:

Though having said that, it was perfectly in character for her, so no complaints about the writing.
lol, I did think that was kind of lame.
Spoiler for :
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 13:29   Link #804
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
lol, I did think that was kind of lame.
Spoiler for :
Spoiler for Betrayers:
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 13:34   Link #805
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Merrill Spoilers for Night Terrors

Spoiler for Quest Spoilers:
Heh.
Old 2011-03-11, 13:49   Link #806
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Weird, I beat the game and the only person to leave me
Spoiler for spoil:

Guess you guys don't have the charm I do
Old 2011-03-11, 15:19   Link #807
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Characters betraying you is based on how good a friend you are (how blue you are on the Sliding Scale of Blue vs. Red) and what you say to them.

During the Fade quest, both Merrill and Aveline listened to the demon and betrayed me, and had to get the beatdown. Because I had not solidified our friendship (since both of the characters' friendship boosting quests hadn't come up yet). Very much like the loyalties in Mass Effect 2.

Anders didn't listen to the demon, for obvious reasons... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Serious End-Game Spoilers, do not open/quote if you have not completed the game yet.

Spoiler for End-Game Spoilers:
Oh I agree, don't get me wrong... the Chantry just pissed me off bad in the first game. For various offenses. Their stupidity in DA2 just compounded it, and I was already predisposed to killing templars after listening to Alistair's stories in DAO.

The problems in Kirkwall were a massive case of everyone--the templars, the mages, the rest of the city and most of Hawke's companions to boot!--all of them holding the Idiot Ball ALL AT ONCE!

Loads of fear, ignorance, prejudice and simple stupidity.

And the stupidest person of all is Hawke, for not just saying FUCK THIS STUPID SHIT and going back to Ferelden.

I swear I have never played an RPG with NPCs and companions as singularly frustrating as Dragon Age II!

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2011-03-11 at 15:30.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:06   Link #808
jedinat

Actually I think all the characters who can betray you in that Fade sequence do so no matter how much they like you. I had Merrill almost maxed out in friendliness.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:39   Link #809
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Wow, the Internet hate for DA2 is staggering!

And the reason?

As far as I can tell, a huge chunk of the greater Internet hates Dragon Age II for not being Dragon Age: Origins With Better Graphics.

*facepalm*
Old 2011-03-11, 17:43   Link #810
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I love how the internet complains about the stagnation of the gaming industry at one moment, then bitches whenever any game tries to actually change things.
Old 2011-03-11, 17:55   Link #811
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

A causal gamer likes many things, to be a hardcore gamer you have to hate everything
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:55   Link #812
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

i just hate the armor being dumbed down to only your character again. it worked well in Mass effect....mmm not so much with this game

unless they come out with a few alternate costumes for a few,mainly people who didnt change after the deep roads. like Isabel and fanris
Old 2011-03-11, 18:13   Link #813
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I've got a few questions regarding the 'transfer-overs' from Origins.

1. Are there anything significant relating back to anything from the Leliana sidestory, Golems of Amgarrak and Witch Hunt? Because these were 3 DLCs I did not purchase with Origins... and well, I kinda lack the motivation to play through them.

2. On a scale of 1-10, how badly did Bioware mess up the 'carry-overs' from DA:Origins to DA2? As in 'it turns out to be entirely meaningless at the end' as well as 'Hey, I did not make these choices!!' Even with Mass Effect 1 => 2, there were obvious failings in how smoothly they've made the linking storyline and subplots between 2 games, and with DA2... I kinda doubt it's been much better.
There are a bunch of continuity transfer bugs apparently. If you had Witch Hunt and Golems, it's best to play the latter first, then Witch Hunt, then import. Otherwise, some details or conditions won't be recognized. I'm not sure about Leliana's Song. Go figure.

The imported conditions only reflect on the background of your playthrough. Who is the current king of Ferelden, and so on.

Spoiler for one ending scene:

I haven't played the game yet, but already I'm seeing criticisms and praise for the game. The dumbing down criticism is what worries me more. DA: O was built as a PC game ported to the consoles, and it shows. That's what I would expect for its sequel; instead, it seems like the opposite has happened. It's more of a console game now, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, the complaints seem to be more about it being dumbed down instead of streamlined. It just seems so dumb that you can't give your tank a specific armour set for his/her role. I don't even see why this would be called a good thing in a party-oriented RPG.

The most damning revelation is the claim of one composer that EA wanted the game rushed to the market. And let's not even get to the way EA has reacted to some of the criticism from the community.

There were folks who were worried about a Bioware being owned by EA... It looks like, at least for DA2, their worries are starting to be realized.

I'm starting to worry for ME3.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 18:17   Link #814
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Dragon Age doesn't have the fanbase to justify an MMO.

On armor, I actually like it. I rarely bothered with the constant min-maxing of my party beyond my character anyway. Every now and then I'd swap out a weapon or a shiny piece. Maybe. Sometimes I didn't even bother at all. This was just one headache less.
Old 2011-03-11, 18:29   Link #815
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I think my favorite part of DA2 is that the "McGrey Warden" feel of the first game is gone, gone, gone. I swear in the first game, the Wardens were like a Mary Sue Secret Society. And everything was about the Wardens! Warden this, Warden that, darkspawn this and that. Yeah, I know the PC is a Grey Warden, but having everything lean so heavily upon it felt like lazy storytelling to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Dragon Age doesn't have the fanbase to justify an MMO.

On armor, I actually like it. I rarely bothered with the constant min-maxing of my party beyond my character anyway. Every now and then I'd swap out a weapon or a shiny piece. Maybe. Sometimes I didn't even bother at all. This was just one headache less.
Agreeing with this. ME2 has been one of my favorite games for essentially dispensing with the idea of playing the equipment-juggling game.

DA2 didn't totally remove the idea of an inventory, but it came close. I still had problems with running out of room, carrying too much junk, having to destroy items one at a time. Something I did not have to do in ME2 and loved it.

I like how DA2 is not terribly item/equipment-centric. You can focus more on the game and less on doing an Excel spreadsheet.

Edit: I wouldn't worry for ME3. Mass Effect has always been console first, PC second. We just lucked out and got a great port with ME2 (the ME1 PC port is a mess).
Old 2011-03-11, 18:33   Link #816
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I strongly dislike the criticism that the game has been 'dumbed down'. Is it really such a bad thing to have a game be more simplified, streamline and accessible? Sounds more like the hardcore gamers just wants to stroke their ego.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 18:39   Link #817
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I strongly dislike the criticism that the game has been 'dumbed down'. Is it really such a bad thing to have a game be more simplified, streamline and accessible? Sounds more like the hardcore gamers just wants to stroke their ego.
No, it's not, and the older I get, the less time I have to spend on games. The more time I have to dedicate to the boring shit. So streamlining a game is not a bad thing at all.

Though I think Bioware really could have done a better job streamlining DA2. I wish they would have just ditched all elements of the DAO system instead of trying to hold onto the "tactical combat system" which is an ancient relic of an ancient game engine from eleven years ago.

I think I would have enjoyed DA2 even more if it was more third-person-actiony like ME2, with companion control much like that in ME2.
Old 2011-03-11, 18:52   Link #818
kujoe
from head to heel

I don't think streamlining is bad, but that it should be applied with some thought. I haven't seen how 'streamlined' DA2 is yet, but I feel that certain genres can benefit more from this compared to others.

Streamlining a game like Final Fantasy Tactics would be received negatively if done in an awful way (dumbed down job system, etc.) but an RPG shooter like ME was just calling for it.

But one thing I do like, is attention to detail. No matter how complex or accessible a game is, something has to be said about immersion and art direction.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 20:11   Link #819
Westlo
Lets be reality

Hey I'm thinking of getting the asian region versions of DA:O Ultimate & DA2 for the 360 (got DA:O on ps3 but lost my save when hard drive died.. yay for retarded save locking...), now I'm in the Australian region so I'm wondering how does the DA:O Ultimate Edition DLC work? Is in on disc? Is it just a bunch of codes?

If it's the later do you know if it will work in any marketplace region?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 20:16   Link #820
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
There are a bunch of continuity transfer bugs apparently. If you had Witch Hunt and Golems, it's best to play the latter first, then Witch Hunt, then import. Otherwise, some details or conditions won't be recognized. I'm not sure about Leliana's Song. Go figure.

The imported conditions only reflect on the background of your playthrough. Who is the current king of Ferelden, and so on.
That's the thing. I don't have said DLCs because I never bought them. And I'd rather not reinstall Origins all over again and reinstalling the 5gb or so mods I had with my save file directories of Origins.

If it's insignificant, I'd continue on with my save file that has only up to Awakenings. If it has, then I'd probably be better off with a 95% similar save file that I could get from Dragon Age Nexus, with the only difference that I didn't choose Harrowmont as the next dwarf leader.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360