AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-09, 17:21   Link #1301
LusterFlare
Lost.

Just read 159. I love you Adachi.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:31   Link #1302
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm very disappointed because this manga seems like its going to be cut short. Bah, this chapter and all th eprevious ones are just too short and/or dragged out.
I disagree with the "cut short" notion. I'd love to get more out of these characters but, honestly, the main story is done. We didn't even need a next chapter, in a story-flow sense - please note that I absolutely need more from this, myself.

However, I find every single chapter of this manga way too short, but that's how it goes for weekly serials - and how can something be both short and dragged out at the same time?

Old 2010-02-09, 17:46   Link #1303
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i thought it was too short too, but then i realized that most chapters were only 17 pages, instead of the 20 that 159 is.. storywise, there isn't a need for a 160, but as a courtesy to the readers, he has to have one chapter where Kou and Aoba aren't at odds with each other and are straight forward with each other. even if there are no spoken words, a reaffirmation of their relationship is needed.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:49   Link #1304
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I disagree with the "cut short" notion. I'd love to get more out of these characters but, honestly, the main story is done. We didn't even need a next chapter, in a story-flow sense - please note that I absolutely need more from this, myself.

However, I find every single chapter of this manga way too short, but that's how it goes for weekly serials - and how can something be both short and dragged out at the same time?
Too short = too few pages. Dragged out = Nothing happening in those pages.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:55   Link #1305
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i thought it was too short too, but then i realized that most chapters were only 17 pages, instead of the 20 that 159 is.. storywise, there isn't a need for a 160, but as a courtesy to the readers, he has to have one chapter where Kou and Aoba aren't at odds with each other and are straight forward with each other. even if there are no spoken words, a reaffirmation of their relationship is needed.
This is pretty much Adachi style. I atleast wanted to know if they won Koshien though.
Old 2010-02-09, 17:59   Link #1306
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i actually think they won't win the Koshien. Kou was just saying a few chapters back that he can live without having gone to it, so there's basically no need to win it. because after all, they (entire team) gained so much more on the journey there.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-02-09, 18:23   Link #1307
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Too short = too few pages. Dragged out = Nothing happening in those pages.
Wow, you sure have guts to admit so man. Normally when I feel the same way I am so unsure of my own ability to have actually catched all the subtleties in the chapter that I prefer to go back and re read the chapter with more attention than to openly admit so and being linched by the more assertive readers. Fortunately most of the time this has worked for me.

That said, i've got to agree that the chapters feel too short, but that's more of a problem inherent to the type of serialization this series comes from. Not to mention that you got used to reading the story in one go before being forced to follow weekly releases, so you're not totally fair on the media.
Old 2010-02-09, 19:08   Link #1308
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I can understand why some are saying that the manga has been cut short, but that is so not true. Winning the national championships was never the main goal, it was just getting there and playing in the stadium to fulfill Wakaba's last dream. The other story thread is the "not-romance" between Ko and Aoba and it was executed wonderfully.

And well, let's just say the two of them will never be a conventional couple. And frankly, I'm not too sure if they can be described as one in the first place even with the confession and the reaction to the hug, since it appears Aoba still has issues being honest with herself.

*Shrug*
Old 2010-02-09, 20:20   Link #1309
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
I am glad I fled from this topic from the moment Poko-kun started waving that stupid 2ch rumor until the raw finally appeared. I would have gotten upset and worried for nothing.
Punch me more!! . I didn't mean it. I was just worrywart at that time.
When the raw came, I went back to 2ch and laughed happily (in their faces - 2ch evils!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
I wonder if we'll even get a third season named; that would be weird if there is indeed a time skip. In light of the image chosen to end this chapter, it would definitely be called season of Kō.
Or it'd be called "Cross game after story"
Old 2010-02-09, 21:56   Link #1310
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
They already did, back in chapter 138-139. It was just after Koh had visited Akane in the hospital and Akane had told Koh to tell Aoba the truth... which again could be read in a variety of ways. Possibly Aoba didn't know what that trip signified, but I'm pretty sure Koh had already made up his mind by that point, and was taking her to tell Wakaba.
i got it a few days ago, but this girl spelled it out in long, drawn out, single syllable language that everyone can get. just thought i'd post it for clarity's sake.

Quote:
The words are separated from the pictures... indicating they are internal thoughts of a character. But because they are separated, you don't know whose thoughts they are. And so, you can imagine Aoba thinking "Is it okay if I lie?" (just before she says "...hated you, you know") and Koh answering "Okay" (just before he says "I know")
SHE'S A FREAKING GENIUS.

also, rereading the first few volumes now with my new knowledge of what Aoba is actually feeling puts it in a whole new light..

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-02-10 at 00:07.
Old 2010-02-09, 22:23   Link #1311
iamthewalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
agreed. although personally I would love a few more chapters just because i've grown attached to this manga, it could end at this chapter with everything tied up. However if adachi did that he'd be a total jerk, thus there NEEDS to be a rewards chapter where the readers can finally see the end result of this relationship.

but man this chapter was SO GOOD. I read it this morning and it really lifted me up today, and I've had a good day because of it. Goes to show how good adachi is, easily one of the best mangakas ever.
Old 2010-02-10, 02:01   Link #1312
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Wow, you sure have guts to admit so man. Normally when I feel the same way I am so unsure of my own ability to have actually catched all the subtleties in the chapter that I prefer to go back and re read the chapter with more attention than to openly admit so and being linched by the more assertive readers. Fortunately most of the time this has worked for me.

That said, i've got to agree that the chapters feel too short, but that's more of a problem inherent to the type of serialization this series comes from. Not to mention that you got used to reading the story in one go before being forced to follow weekly releases, so you're not totally fair on the media.
Well, for one thing, I'm not going to sit here and praise Adachi to be a God because he jabs in subtlety in everything he does. lmao, I never thought Cross Game was as brilliant in subtlety as some here have praised it to be. Subtlety is not why I have enjoyed Cross Game so much. For me, it has always been the character. In particular how the characters are so natural and genuine, and interesting.

Now, the too few pages is indeed just my bias coming out of course, as like you I grinded down most of this series in one go (The manga that is).

However, I do feel that the chapters themselves at the end, specifically these latest chapters of the match with Ryuoh are definitely dragged out. Not enough was happening to justify it. But whatever. Overall I still like Cross Game, but if we get some sort of time skip next chapter beyond the wedding, then I will actually be angry.

We deserve a little more time for aftermath. I often feel that the weakest points of anime/manga are their endings. They never allow significant time for aftermath, and they are infatuated with open ended endings. How about actually wrapping everything up for once and giving the characters justice? That is all I want.
Old 2010-02-10, 02:18   Link #1313
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
We deserve a little more time for aftermath. I often feel that the weakest points of anime/manga are their endings. They never allow significant time for aftermath, and they are infatuated with open ended endings. How about actually wrapping everything up for once and giving the characters justice? That is all I want.
You're unconciously setting yourself up here. Adachi has rarely (if ever) gone down such a route that you're wanting. Adachi's endings for his manga are always about new beginnings. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 2010-02-10, 02:25   Link #1314
poko-kun

He has done a lot of time-skip in his manga, so I can predict it will happen again in CG, but nevermind, I love it that way.
Old 2010-02-10, 02:37   Link #1315
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I often feel that the weakest points of anime/manga are their endings.
This is something I can agree with. Despite me loving Anime as much as the next otaku, out of my favorite anime list I can only remember one ending that I can say that I've absolutely loved. (ARIA's). Maybe it's just me having the wrong expectations, but for the life of me the Japanese just love their open endings.
Old 2010-02-10, 04:02   Link #1316
Darkonus

I was looking through Adachi's works and found Touch, it seems that Cross Game is like a remake of Touch, so did any of you read it? Wondering if it will be a good read after reading CG.
Old 2010-02-10, 04:19   Link #1317
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Touch is a good read regardless. And Cross Game is as much a remake of it as H2 was before it, ie. no, it's just the way Adachi's stories are often told. The characters are the important issue, here, not the setting.

Old 2010-02-10, 04:22   Link #1318
poko-kun

Not quite a remake, Aoba and Tatsuya aren't alike in many aspects. One thing they share is just the lost of sis/bro they really loved.
Old 2010-02-10, 04:31   Link #1319
joeboygo
mechaii

I found the chapter satisfying, but I haven't yet figured out exactly why. I'm going to need more time to think things through, but I am grateful to have something fun to think about.

In trying to understand Aoba's reaction, I suspect the most reliable guidance will come, ironically, from Senda. You can always count on his judgment on social situations to be dead wrong. He may have called the slap correctly, but it ought to mean something completely different from what he thought.

Edit:

My initial gut reading of her slapping Kou was that it was an angry reflex reaction because he made her lose control of her emotions by hugging her.

Last edited by joeboygo; 2010-02-10 at 04:48.
Old 2010-02-10, 04:48   Link #1320
Johnny
Working the bags...

I think it was her version of what's called a 'love tap'...

As to her reaction; I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I think she's liked him as long as Wakaba has. However seeing that Wakaba also liked him she either didn't want to come between the two or didn't think she had a chance. So she chose the next thing she would be allowed to feel, hate. Sort of like the boy picking on the girl he likes type of thing...
Closed Thread

Tags
mitsuru adachi, shounen