ganbaru
books-eater youkai

^ No, only one is fine.
Old 2011-10-02, 08:29   Link #82
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
We don't have to put all of those themes in, right?
No, but at least one of those themes must be present on the banner. Trough it's not against the rules to use all three )or two) of those themes together.

Edit: ganbaru beat me to it
Old 2011-10-02, 08:36   Link #83
Reverzer0
Sleeping

hello, are anyone know the name of this anime character and what anime show she belong? i really need an answer for this time because google is not useful looking for my questions. the pic is one of my old collection. i used because it fit the theme. if no one response meaning don't know also then i will simply replace my render.

here's the pic,

meanwhile, here's the progress of my entry,

http://forums.animesuki.com/banner-t...881/nighti.jpg
Old 2011-10-02, 09:36   Link #84
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Keep the comments coming!
Rather than a contest, I'm sorta treating this as a tutorial of sorts, I get to explore many things on photoshop because of this ).
Old 2011-10-02, 09:54   Link #85
Vane
Hyouka

Send a message via MSN to Vane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverzer0 View Post
hello, are anyone know the name of this anime character and what anime show she belong? i really need an answer for this time because google is not useful looking for my questions. the pic is one of my old collection. i used because it fit the theme. if no one response meaning don't know also then i will simply replace my render.
She's Marie Rudel from eroge visual novel Sakura Strasse (http://oreno.imouto.org/post/show/8357). According to wikipedia, there was going to be an anime in 2010, but since I didn't find any info about it from ANN or other sources, I guess it's canceled.
Your banner looks really great, but I think you have to change the render because it's not an existing anime...

And I'll also post my banner works here later, when I got something ready
Old 2011-10-02, 09:54   Link #86
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverzer0 View Post

here's the pic,

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6648/76723872.jpg

meanwhile, here's the progress of my entry,

http://forums.animesuki.com/banner-t...881/nighti.jpg
Title = Sakura Strasse (Link NSFW)
Character = Marie Rudel

Edit:
Vane beat me to it.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 11:17   Link #87
The Drunk Demoman
~ fabulous ~

Oh also, mind me asking why do we need to use exactly this gradient background?

Old 2011-10-02, 11:20   Link #88
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Demoman View Post
It was decided in this topic;
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107017
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 11:44   Link #89
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Demoman View Post

Because when you look at the current banners, you'll see that they all have blue gradient. Now imagine if each banner had different gradient on them, and you'll realize why one gradient..
Old 2011-10-02, 11:56   Link #90
The Drunk Demoman
~ fabulous ~

Ah, alright then, thanks for clearing that out.
Old 2011-10-02, 13:34   Link #91
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Was this "must have an anime" in previous contests? (just asking)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Because when you look at the current banners, you'll see that they all have blue gradient. Now imagine if each banner had different gradient on them, and you'll realize why one gradient..
It's actually fine as long as there is only a small variation, say a orange toned, red tone, etc versions of the current; so people would have more options. This whole "it would look bad" is all in people's imagination as far as I'm concerned; many sites have used completely different banners in their rotation and I never saw any issue. Who exactly stares at the empty space on the left and right anyway. There's no technical limitation involved either. But hey it was suggested and shot down so whatever.

@ahelo

The background would probably be better if it wasn't real life stock and instead some kind of artwork, given the size even if you find some decent looking rough sketch it would work; also it's completely sharp edged on the left, you need to blend it more.

On the front you should add more leaves and slightly larger, at the moment leaves being that small that they are indistinguishable doesn't make sense with the character proportions. Also you kind of broke the circle me thinks.

Looks ok otherwise.
Old 2011-10-02, 16:07   Link #92
broken270
Defying gravity

This is my first attempt on this. Still new and trying out Photoshop. Please comment and teach me of ways to improve it.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 16:09   Link #93
The Drunk Demoman
~ fabulous ~

You shouldn't have 2 renders in one banner, you should just stick to one and make it focal point ( focal point is the first thing your eyes look at in banner).

And try to live it up with some other background, and you should be careful since you can't see the gradient in your banner.

Other than that, it's pretty decent.
Old 2011-10-02, 16:31   Link #94
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

My First Try

C&C are welcome

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 17:34   Link #95
broken270
Defying gravity

I am not too confident about my ability to blend the background with the suggested gradient like some others presented. Is there a technique for that, or does it depend on the background itself. I will try singularly. Again, comments and other helpful advice accepted.

broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 17:49   Link #96
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I liked the first attempt set-up wise. Using the new background, bring both images together (to make it look like their lying next to each other) and keep the text on either side of them (but make it more visible).

That help?
---------------
And since I didn't get any comments on my first attempt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Here's the third version of my idea:

c&c welcome.
I've done another version:

Once again, C&C welcome.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 17:55   Link #97
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken270 View Post
I am not too confident about my ability to blend the background with the suggested gradient like some others presented. Is there a technique for that, or does it depend on the background itself. I will try singularly. Again, comments and other helpful advice accepted.

LOL I can see DemiSoda and myself waging war over these two.

Anyway, I really like both of them, but as a big Noe fan, my preference between the two is obvious.

Crow's suggestion is a good one though, if you're able to pull it off. It would also prevent a war between DemiSoda and myself.
Old 2011-10-02, 17:57   Link #98
Ichigo-Sora
*Graphic Designer

There are a lot of great banners so far ^^ I haven't made anything in quite a while, so I'm a bit rusty, but here's my attempt:

SOURCE:
pixiv link: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...ust_id=6755657
Danbooru link: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...e_eyes-formal-
Old 2011-10-02, 20:18   Link #99
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Just dropping by to say that a banner shouldn't just be a pretty picture -- people need to be able to recognize the site without having to strain their eyes trying to read the title in the banner. The text doesn't need to be massive or extremely obnoxious, but at least readable. Take care with font choice, font size and font color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post

Keep the comments coming!
Rather than a contest, I'm sorta treating this as a tutorial of sorts, I get to explore many things on photoshop because of this ).
I think a text color other than red will work a little better. Like maybe a little brighter color such as orange or yellow. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post

I somehow edited it but please do comment on what I can improve on. I'm really kinda new on the banner business.
...I actually liked this version better Though a dark or black outline or drop shadow around the text would probably be prettier. The same goes for the contrast of the picture of the girl -- your revised version (first in my reply) is better in this regard.

Quote:

The text is certainly big enough, but it lacks contrast with the background. Maybe change the color to something a little darker (orange)? Or add a small drop shadow and/or bigger outline...? (you might also try to find a bit higher resolution image of the girls like maybe this or this, though neither picture is great either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I liked the first attempt set-up wise. Using the new background, bring both images together (to make it look like their lying next to each other) and keep the text on either side of them (but make it more visible).

That help?
---------------
And since I didn't get any comments on my first attempt:I've done another version:

Once again, C&C welcome.
Hmm... while I probably can't do any better... to put it tactfully... I'm not sure this banner is going to win without some more work...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 20:29   Link #100
GundamFan0083

Quote:

May I make a suggestion with regard to the AnimeSuki logo?

Consider using a drop-shadow at 12:00, with a darker color (maybe a deep-blue from the gradient?) to really bring out the letters.
Don't spread the shadow too much, and keep it tight on the letters (set to maybe 2 or 3), and that should help emphasize the logo without disturbing the background too much.

Tags
banner contest