AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 19:02   Link #1
KeroKai

Anime about losers and life being rubbish... Something to match my emo-mood.

Weird search I know. I'm basically pulling a Misaki from Welcome to NHK and looking for anime where the protagonist is essentially useless but grows throughout the series.

Welcome to NHK captured that exactly. It'd be nice to have suggestions that are somewhat realistic scenario - Not Kaiji. But if there aren't any others, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 2009-08-02, 19:53   Link #2
blewin

Probably Genshiken. The main protagonist has certainly grown a lot (character development-wise) by season 2.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-08-02, 21:05   Link #3
qwertyuiopz

overdrive
history strongest disciple kenichi
beck
tengen toppa

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-08-02 at 22:12.
Old 2009-08-02, 21:12   Link #4
Lio
Presence

I was gonna say Evangelion 'till I read the protagonist has to grow throughout the series part.
Old 2009-08-02, 21:47   Link #5
Cipher

BECK- plain loser guy turns to guitar.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:17   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku

Maison Ikkoku

Maison Ikkoku

Really, Maison Ikkoku

It perfectly fits your description.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:20   Link #7
Theowne
耳をすませば

I agree that Maison Ikkoku fits the written description, but it definitely does not fit the comparison with Welcome to the NHK.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-03, 11:49   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm...KIBA is good, although it's of the fantasy/shounen style.
Old 2009-08-03, 12:02   Link #9
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Clannad. It's a romance where the main male lead is a useless delinquent that has terrible family relationships, but as the series goes on, he grows with the help of the main female lead. If there are too many episodes in the two seasons for you, you can watch the movie. However, if you plan on watching both, absolutely do not watch the movie before episode 16 of the second season.

EDIT: As for "emo-ness", it is very depression-heavy, starting from episode 16 of ~After Story~. It is more heavy in the movie, however.

Last edited by deathreape98; 2009-08-03 at 21:09.
Old 2009-08-03, 13:43   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Geez must you recommend Clannad for everything?

You're seriously lowering my average post rate.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:00   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ As long as it fits right? After all Clannad is the most popular tear-jerker out there atm.
Old 2009-08-03, 21:03   Link #12
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Hakk-Yes, I must. As long as it fits the request in some way, I *shall* suggest it ;p

I suppose Beet the Vandel Buster could fit your description somewhat. In the beginning he's a little kid, but after a time skip, he's much more powerful, and he continues to learn and mature as he fights monsters called Vandels.

EDIT: In Black Lagoon, the main male lead is a total loser, atleast in the beginning.

Last edited by deathreape98; 2009-08-03 at 21:51.
Old 2009-08-03, 21:35   Link #13
npcomplete

Are the other shows recommended here really like Welcome to the NHK? As in real morally gray, plz halp WTF am I doing, life-is-rubbish? The characters in the other shows here seem to have underdog quality where we know very early there is hidden potential and we root for them. That is, we know they aren't real losers inside so to speak..

I'd recommend:
Gantz <-- seriously; the guy not likable at all, but you really come to empathize with him at the end when the shit hits the fan, things fall apart and he has a sort of self-realization experience, when he reflects on his past thoughts and behavior, regrets them and finally develops a better inner character (edit: actually, he does grow through the help of a friend and 3 girls he eventually meets, becoming likable in the end, when he redeems himself as the tragedies pile up)

Texhonolyze
Infinite Ryvius
Shadow Star Narutaru
Bokurano (well, doesn't fit your description, but it's tragic and has to be recommended whenever Narutaru is )

none of these take place in any realistic setting though. I'd also recommend Genshiken 1 and 2 for that. It's realistic, very fun, and reflective of real people and real situations. However it doesn't involve as much drama or moral and psychological exploration.

Last edited by npcomplete; 2009-08-04 at 04:06.
Old 2009-08-04, 10:54   Link #14
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If perhaps you haven't seen it... Grave of the Fireflies. Despite being old... well nothing will turn you into a blubbering emotional mess of a human being than that.

Oh and Saikano.
Old 2009-08-05, 11:59   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Now and Then, Here and There. Not as much the "loser" part but definitely the Crapsack World part.
Old 2009-08-05, 12:46   Link #16
sothis

I'm going to be the unpopular person by reccing something most people seem to not like: Gedo Senki. Most people seem to dislike it because 1) it's not like the books, 2) it's not a typical Ghibli film - but I found it captivating. Arren, the main char, pretty much hates himself and doesn't see the value in living, but throughout the film he grows and matures.

I dunno, I found it to be amazing. It won't fit your request for realism, but you might give it a try.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:42   Link #17
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Probably Genshiken. The main protagonist has certainly grown a lot (character development-wise) by season 2.
Seconded

If you are going for the NHK feel, then definitely Genshiken & Black Lagoon is not bad either.
Old 2009-08-05, 22:03   Link #18
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Could check out Gantz and Black Lagoon as both main characters start off as weak and depressed and develop pretty well into strong willed characters. but the only thing is these series are heavy on action

some others i think you might like are:
Martian Successor Nadesico
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Beck
Love Hina