AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-10, 12:12   Link #21
Kanesuke
Gender Clarifier

Ranma 1/2 has to be one of my favourite mangas, although it seems to have dragged on a bit too far. Maybe ending it sooner would have been better??
Old 2004-02-10, 13:26   Link #22
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Hmm... How so?

Can elaborate?

Thanks.
No problem.

The fact here lies that Takahashi Rumiko started off as a doujinshi artist under the name "kemo kobiru" in the late 1970s.

There were many fans of Takahashi Rumiko's work back then as she did very satirical doujinshis of social lives (and still does in "Takahashi Rumiko Theater" shorts). Anyway, she went pro after winning a young-artist contest with the title "Kattena Yatsura" (actually, she had a short serialization for the manga "Dust Spart" a little bit earlier on a different magazine....).

"Kattena Yatsura" can be said to be the beta-version of..."Urusei Yatsura." And "Urusei Yatsura" went on to become what made her a famous artist that she is today. Satirical. Pointless. Yet amusing. Her next work (alongside with "Urusei Yatsura") was "Maison Ikkoku." For Takahashi Rumiko fans, it was something that they have seen her do since her late doujinshi periods - social issues in everyday life. This was in the midst of the golden age of the 1980s.

Then came "Ranma 1/2." Everyone was excited about Takahashi Rumiko's new work. However, as time progressed and the manga evolved, some old fans felt disoriented. They felt "Ranma 1/2" was becoming more "DragonBall-like," focusing on meaningless fighting rather than her usual satirical-yet-slapstick jokes on social issues.

So, here in Japan, there are splits among Takahashi Rumiko fans:
A. Those who loved "Urusei Yatsura" and "Maison Ikkoku" who continue to read Takahashi Rumiko works based on her satirical and more "adult" jokes (i.e.: "One Pound Gospel, Takahashi Rumiko Theater, etc.) - mainly people in the late twenties and early thirties.
B. Those who started with "Ranma 1/2" and continue to do so with "Inuyasha." - mainly people in the teens and the early twenties. There are a lot of people here in Japan, who first began reading Takahashi Rumiko manga from "Ranma 1/2" and/or "Inuyasha." Many of them refuse to read "Urusei Yatsura" or "Maison Ikkoku" as they are "written and drawn in a different style." ("Ranma 1/2" ikou shika shiranai Takahashi Rumiko fan-tachi)
Old 2004-02-10, 19:22   Link #23
Shiori

Wow. Thanks for that background information. ^__^

I love the majority of Rumiko Takahashi's works. I've read a few Urusei Yatsura issues but never really go into them.

One seires that intriges me is the Mermaid sagas. These are completely different to the light hearted comidies that Takahashi are known for. But all the same, a great piece of work!
Old 2004-02-10, 20:20   Link #24
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiori
Wow. Thanks for that background information. ^__^

I love the majority of Rumiko Takahashi's works. I've read a few Urusei Yatsura issues but never really go into them.

One seires that intriges me is the Mermaid sagas. These are completely different to the light hearted comidies that Takahashi are known for. But all the same, a great piece of work!
Be sure to buy the third volume of the "renewed" Ningyo series.
The title is called "Yasha no Hitomi" and has two previously unreleased stories in them.
Old 2004-02-10, 20:33   Link #25
Shiori

Cool! Thankyou again! I've been meaning to look for this series' graphic novels!

^__^ You're very knowledgable kj1980.
Old 2004-02-11, 08:45   Link #26
Tboz

Great info... thanks man.

Ranma was quite memorable for me as I had probably mention before. It is also one of the first few series I was exposed to that has some ecchi content. However, I never did like Inuyasha. I have read the manga volumes until around book 8 or so (can't remember), never really caught on to it. The story was quite bland and seeing Inuyasha battle demons every chapter is nothing to be really excited about. Though I heard of the appearance of Inuyasha's brother, but I still didn't went back to it. I didn't watch the animated version cause I decided that it won't be too much different. Anyway, I was still on 56k when it started, so I don't have much choice there.

Urusei Yatsura however is one of the older series that I have been looking for. I have heard much about it and really hope to read it first hand. Mermaid Forest is still in my hard drive, haven't got much time to even keep up with the new series so it will stay there at the moment until I have my holidays.
Old 2004-02-11, 13:00   Link #27
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Great info... thanks man.

Ranma was quite memorable for me as I had probably mention before. It is also one of the first few series I was exposed to that has some ecchi content. However, I never did like Inuyasha. I have read the manga volumes until around book 8 or so (can't remember), never really caught on to it. The story was quite bland and seeing Inuyasha battle demons every chapter is nothing to be really excited about. Though I heard of the appearance of Inuyasha's brother, but I still didn't went back to it. I didn't watch the animated version cause I decided that it won't be too much different. Anyway, I was still on 56k when it started, so I don't have much choice there.

Urusei Yatsura however is one of the older series that I have been looking for. I have heard much about it and really hope to read it first hand. Mermaid Forest is still in my hard drive, haven't got much time to even keep up with the new series so it will stay there at the moment until I have my holidays.
It's great that you have an interest on older Takahashi Rumiko works.

Be forewarned in advance that if you are to read "Urusei Yatsura" and "Maison Ikkoku," the first several volumes are drawn in a very different style than you are used to seeing in "Ranma 1/2" and "Inuyasha."

This also happens to be one of the main reasons why "new" Takahashi Rumiko fans tend to stay away from her older mangas.

A good analogy would be a person who only has seen 007 movies by Pierce Brosnan versus someone who has seen 007 from Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, and Timothy Dalton.

If a person grows up with Takahashi Rumiko from her beginnings, you get to see her art style gradually change from her origins to what she draws today. However, if someone who just recently picked up the latest issue of Shonen Sunday magazine for "Inuyasha" were to suddenly go back twenty five years to her older drawing styles, they might feel some uneasiness.

So, if you are going to start reading her older works, I suggest you throw away whatever thoughts you have on her art style that you know of. And, if you find it interesting, start reading her works in chronological order, and you'll find yourself suddenly adapting to her evolution of manga art style.

As for "Mermaid Forest" ("Ningyo no Mori"), the anime that recently aired is actually based on a compilation of her Mermaid series manga shorts. Although the anime itself was pretty new (minus the OVA that was released in the early 1990s), the actual manga shorts start way back from the late 1980s. Takahashi Rumiko is also known to do many shorts - some even series, that she does them once every several months, even years! Her "Mermaid" saga and "One Pound Gospel" actually span close to a decade, but there are only few stories (two-three volumes worth) since she does them rarely.
Old 2004-02-13, 20:21   Link #28
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
I read all of Maison Ikkoku recently. I actually rather enjoyed it. It was nice to have a romance story from Takahashi that had an ending to it. The art style in the beginning is indeed different from the later mangas, but there were a number of times later on in the series when I thought Godai looked a lot like an older Ranma without the pigtail, and Kyoko looked a lot like an older Kagome, or even like an older Akane before her hair got cut.

Overall though, I think I might like the older Takahashi more (even though Ikkoku is the only older title by her that I have read). I'm a bit of a sap for romantic stories, and from what I've heard (since I've only read 6 volumes of the manga), Ranma and Akane never really advance much in their love story. Same goes for Inu Yasha (of which I have seen every subbed episode, but have not read the manga).
Old 2006-03-04, 07:42   Link #29
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

I was wondering if someone could tell in which volume does Akane discover Ryoga's secret
Old 2006-03-04, 08:34   Link #30
EdenB
Overlord

Another 'the fanfiction is the good part about it' person here. Though the Ranma/Sailor Moon crossovers seem to be the most interesting sometimes. Fukufics has quite a few.

I never actually understood why Ranma seemed to like Akane, even if at the start she seemed to be nice, you'd think that'd be malleted out of him. Though the situations that always happen is another good thing about Ranma 1/2.
Old 2006-03-04, 13:30   Link #31
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmf-x19a
I was wondering if someone could tell in which volume does Akane discover Ryoga's secret
She doesn't.

Ranma was the manga that got me interested in anime and such again. It's no masterpiece for reasons already stated here, but has its place in my heart.
Old 2006-03-05, 10:08   Link #32
EdenB
Overlord

Can someone tell me the volume where Nodoka discovers Ranma's curse? At least assuming she does, it seems to be pretty common in fandom to have her knowing.
Old 2006-03-05, 11:02   Link #33
REEPER

volume 36, fresh in my mind as I have just finished the manga today.
Old 2006-03-05, 18:24   Link #34
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I like Ranma 1/2 a lot but Akane's on my "Hate List". -_- She annoys me so much. And she's ugly, i.m.h.o. >_>;
Old 2006-03-11, 09:59   Link #35
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

weird I remember that she does know about it in the manga much later but I dont know when she discovered it
(I'm talking about Ryoga's secret)
Old 2006-05-02, 21:23   Link #36
hoboselbow

Talking Ranma 1/2

I say "BOOYAH!" to Ranma 1/2! Yes, the plot does get sortta old after awhile, but you just gotta love it! I mean, who else do you know that turns into a girl when splashed with clod water?! Anyway, I'm a sucker for the falling in love type deal, so I love Ranma 1/2! Lots of love, and remeber Just smile and nod!
Ciao!
-hoboselbow
Old 2006-05-03, 12:11   Link #37
Decel

Ranma 1/2 will always have a special meaning to me, since it was the first manga that I knew was "manga". I think it was in 1992 when I entered a comic book store with a friend (for his purchases, I didn't collect comics back then), and as soon as I gazed into the direction of the comic-sized manga (I think it was chapter 8) the style caught my attention.

Of course I saw the Astroboy/Robotech/Captain Harlock/Cat's Eyes/Dragon Warrior/etc. that were shown on tv, but I just thought that they were just made in the same settings as G.I. Joe and the rest.

Anyhoo, the manga was great at first but then the character development just seems to stop (around where Shampoo is introduced). Then there's the constant flirting with the relationship development, mostly Akane's feelings, that are then tossed out like dirty Kleenex. Also, many characters never really appealed to me because they seemed to be just there to fill the manga with characters (Kuno and his sister for example).

I respect the idea but at the same time it's that lack of development that makes this series so episodic. I originally hated the ending but having re-read the series lately I find it more bittersweet:
-On one hand they basically end up starting back on square one and could place this story in the middle of the series, making it a very open ending that didn't feel like an ending.
-However it seems rather clear that Akane has evolved and clearly is concious and accepts her feeling of love towards Ranma. Ranma however is basically the same guy/girl/person that I've read back in the first few chapters.

Being a guy that values highly endings with closure, Ranma 1/2 was probably never my type of manga to begin with, but overall it was a nice ride.
Old 2006-05-13, 13:56   Link #38
camathalion

ranma 1/2 is a great manga. some people dislike it because they think it's just a pile of random stories put together. but that is exactly why i like it. These little stories are funny, entertaining, and sometimes touching. Ranma isnt the same as other mangas like "berserk", it is suppose to relax you, and make you feel happy. it cheers you up when your down, it makes you laugh when your depressed. That's wat ranma 1/2 is all about.
Old 2006-05-13, 15:23   Link #39
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

I havn't read the Ranma 1/2 manga and i have only seen a few episodes, but i liked what I saw. ^_^
Old 2006-05-14, 20:16   Link #40
OrphanedKitty
LadyOfTheWesternLands

Send a message via AIM to OrphanedKitty Send a message via MSN to OrphanedKitty
hmmm I unno *shrugs* I guess the characters are just loveable ^^;;
Closed Thread