AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-09, 13:44   Link #16661
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Spoiler for I did that too:

BTW, to answer previous question, I post at:
AnimeSuki
Fanfiction.net
Mediaminer - only lemons really
Portkey - my old HP fics I don't touch anymore
Shoujoai - my old Prettycure fics and some Nanoha was requested to be posted there
Queenbee for my Japanese Prettycure stories
I rest my case.
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 14:46   Link #16662
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Cut and pasting to another thread; thanks for the heads up. Wasn't sure where to post it.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2009-10-09 at 15:17. Reason: Moving to a better thread
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 14:49   Link #16663
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You should move that to the Magic and Technology thread, or the Generic Discussion thread.
Old 2009-10-09, 14:57   Link #16664
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
The page flip may cause people to miss it, but I posted the next Cradle battle item as the last post of pg 833.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 16:39   Link #16665
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm not dead yet!

... Though I might be. Soon. But anyway.

I present to you "Sisters", chapter 2.

Spoiler for Sisters chapter 2:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

Now if you don't mind, I need to repair the large dent in my desk that's shaped like my forehead. Enjoy.
Oh noes, a boy!

What an interesting development!

Will Nanoha go yandere and murder befriend the hypotenuse?!

I can hardly wait to find out!

I am partially to blame for RB's slowness since I borrowed her brain for work on False Light, the original post-apocalyptic dark fantasy I'm currently working on. ^^;
Old 2009-10-09, 19:10   Link #16666
Hekate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Spoiler for Back to the Cradle...:
What happened to your IFF T.T

Can their observation satellite determine if you are friendly or not without action on your part? Is your communication encryption is strong enough to prevent eavesdropping? Is the Cradle observing satellite positions? If the first is yes and third is no, then always pick A, if the first is no but the second is yes, then always pick C

On the other hand, if it is possible to simply radio HQ and ask them to sort out the trouble without giving away too many details of your mission? If this is true and the above options don't fit, pick C.
Hekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 19:59   Link #16667
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
You know... I saw this in the Relationships thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM-Lisa View Post
Lutecia x Vivio will remind me Nanoha x Fate from MGLNanoha A's. Vivio is Nanoha's daughter, and Lutecia remind me Fate from season 2 when I saw the last episode of season 3.
And it made me laugh hysterically.

That and it made me want to update my ViCia series. I really need to. It's been awhile since I finished "Sunrise".
Old 2009-10-09, 21:28   Link #16668
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm not dead yet!

... Though I might be. Soon. But anyway.
To paraphrase Aika from Aria, PREMATURE DEATH IS NOT ALLOWED!

Quote:
Spoiler for Sisters chapter 2:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

Now if you don't mind, I need to repair the large dent in my desk that's shaped like my forehead. Enjoy.
Is the opening line a quotation? If so, from what?

Hayate and Fate here kind of remind me of "Expressions of Love" from Haru Natsu Aki Fuyu. As in, Fate having problems with Hayate the Groping Bandit because she likes her and Hayate doesn't act like she has any special feelings for Fate in particular.

Chrono here is interesting. Highlighting his sensitive side to make up all the badmouthing we've been giving him in the ViCia/Shadows stories?

Miyuki's scene with Bobby was hilarious. Particularly when he said "The chicks dig loud"! Trust me, Bobby-boy, the only chicks you'll be getting near don't care about whether your car is loud, soft, or running at all so long as you have your daddy's money to spend on them.

I have to agree with deathcurse in that it sounds like Chris is Hikaru. Every movement he makes, every word he says, every line of his description just screams "creepy guy with a horrible secret!!"

Which brings me to the one piece of this story which I have some issues with: Chris's Intelligent Device.

Intelligent Devices (despite the fact that every main cast member seems to wind up with one) are very rare, very special pieces of technology. They definitely aren't the norm for mages, even military mages (Chrono, for example, is only shown using Storage Devices: first S2U and later Durandal). If this "Chris" has an Intelligent Device at all, then there should be a serious plot-heavy reason for it, whether it's because he's a TSAB mage prodigy or because he's an evil serial killer associated with a powerful conspiracy group with access to Evil Mad Science. And he shouldn't be bringing it to Miyuki's garage for repair, either: Device Meisters like Mariel and Shari don't grow on trees and their lab facilities don't, either (consider, for example, the way in which the repairs for Raising Heart and Bardiche had to happen in A's).

On the other hand, Miyuki's garage job makes perfect sense: there's only so much of the technology that changes between cars (okay, the internal combustion engine might or might not be replaced by some magitech powerplant, but the drive train, suspension, etc., etc. would still function similarly to judge by what we see with Midchildan cars in StrikerS. And the computer functions would probably be even easier to deal with because of the more advanced computer tech) and if she's spent enough time hanging out with Shinobu and repairing the android maids, she's definitely got the skills.

Miyuki's desire to be useful and have something to do is easily empathized with. After all, she basically came along to keep Nanoha company, but "kid sister's not-at-work, only-in-home-life sidekick" isn't exactly an emotionally fulfilling role.

Nice subtlety on the wincest; I didn't even notice what Miyuki was hinting at until I was rereading. Don't despair, Miyuki, we're rooting for you! Mostly!

Um...so why is your desk dented?
Quote:

That and it made me want to update my ViCia series. I really need to. It's been awhile since I finished "Sunrise".
Yes, you do need to that. How am I supposed to write any NanoFate stories without you giving me ideas for them?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:08   Link #16669
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Intelligent Devices (despite the fact that every main cast member seems to wind up with one) are very rare, very special pieces of technology. They definitely aren't the norm for mages, even military mages (Chrono, for example, is only shown using Storage Devices: first S2U and later Durandal). If this "Chris" has an Intelligent Device at all, then there should be a serious plot-heavy reason for it, whether it's because he's a TSAB mage prodigy or because he's an evil serial killer associated with a powerful conspiracy group with access to Evil Mad Science. And he shouldn't be bringing it to Miyuki's garage for repair, either: Device Meisters like Mariel and Shari don't grow on trees and their lab facilities don't, either (consider, for example, the way in which the repairs for Raising Heart and Bardiche had to happen in A's).
Yes, Sora was kind enough to point that out to me while we were discussing it via PM. And now there's a new hole in my desk. Gah, I have to find a way to work around that one.

Quote:
Um...so why is your desk dented?
It's such an excellent method of working off stress, you see.

Quote:
Yes, you do need to that. How am I supposed to write any NanoFate stories without you giving me ideas for them?
Now I feel inspired.

EDIT: Gah! Forgot to answer this...

Quote:
Is the opening line a quotation? If so, from what?
Yep, it's a quotation from "How To Save A Life" by The Fray. I found it oddly fitting for the chapter, for some reason.

Last edited by RadiantBeam; 2009-10-09 at 22:11. Reason: Forgot to answer Dezo's question!
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:14   Link #16670
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekate View Post
What happened to your IFF T.T
You're a pilot operating a out of an otherwise unknown faction to the TSAB operating in support of them without their knowledge. You do not have an IFF signature that they recognize. Not to mention that since you're coming in on a radio blackout, your transponder is off.

Quote:
Can their observation satellite determine if you are friendly or not without action on your part?
That can identify what you are, but not who you are, or your allegence unless you engage first. If they're operating on any kind of combat rule similar to the US combat doctrine, they would be restricted from engaging unless fired upon, or instructed by higher ups to engage because of risk factors. The risk factors here may or may not be such that they'd be told to engage the unknown. The gamble is up to you.

Quote:
Is your communication encryption is strong enough to prevent eavesdropping?
Unknown... Quattro or Uno was able to hack into and disable the networked battlefield systems of TSAB HQ previously. It can be assumed that your network with the carrier is seccure at least for a short time once you break silence, but that the TSAB network is compromised. Any information you pass to the TSAB network runs the risk of intercept.

Quote:
Is the Cradle observing satellite positions?
Unknown. Nothing indicates whether the Cradle is monitoring the uplink/downlink information on the sats. Givin that everyone is going for the cradle, that kind of high precision information management might not be of any consiquence and is being ignored. (For the record, the satellite positions wouldn't change... their cameras would just adjust and refocus.)

Quote:
On the other hand, if it is possible to simply radio HQ and ask them to sort out the trouble without giving away too many details of your mission?
Again, you are an unknown blasting your way into a high tension fight unannounced, and uninvited. The reactions from either side could be as varied as night and day. The TSAB may see your approach as a Godsend, or you may become Primary Target Number Two for every mage in sight.
Likewise, transmission of data from you could inform the Target of your approach if Quattro intercepts it from the TSAB network. Be aware of the potential of the primary target as a risk facctor in your assessments.
Old 2009-10-09, 23:36   Link #16671
Hekate

Spoiler for AdmiralTigerclaw:

Can we just radio HQ and have them register our IFF to the TSAB forces as friendly, then turn our transponder on?
It's not as though IFF's will reveal our position to the enemy...supposedly.

Otherwise we will continue as planned, A. After all, assuming the atmosphere is similar to Earth, Mach 15 is a bit over 5 kilometers per second~
Old 2009-10-09, 23:51   Link #16672
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekate View Post
Can we just radio HQ and have them register our IFF to the TSAB forces as friendly, then turn our transponder on?
I'm going to speak to you here as someone who took Military Comms training. (SATCOM)

Note, that to radio HQ, you have to Broadcast. You broadcast, everyone sees you. Including people you don't want seeing you.

Quote:
It's not as though IFF's will reveal our position to the enemy...supposedly.
An IFF squawk is a signal generated by a transponder consisting of an encrypted code that is then picked up by recievers and processed to determine if you have the right code... to match the other friendly units. In order to squawk, you have to broadcast the code. Refference what I said about broadcast.

So actually, yes... Yes, it IS as though IFF will reveal your position.
Old 2009-10-10, 08:02   Link #16673
Hekate

Spoiler for Admiral Tigerclaw:

Just so you know, I have no military training at all. Internet Commando / Armchair General ftw

The basic idea still stands; it is to give out as little information as possible so that even if the Cradle eavesdrops they won't know much other than a new challenger is approaching--something that should be happening frequently as the rest of the non-rapid response portion of the TSAB mobilizes.

But if it's not possible and we have to give out information such as our payload and weapons platform, or if the TSAB comms operator will scream out that the savior has arrived, basically anything that puts us as something more than just a small mage unit, then we will still proceed as planned. A is now the default answer with C happening if we can do it without too much attention. After all, fast Mach 15 is fast
Old 2009-10-10, 08:23   Link #16674
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Cute. Very cute. Breaking radio silence would alert the Cradle to our presence, and mark us as a hostile for them. In addition, breaking radio silence is no guarantee that anyone will believe we're an ally, so it has one guaranteed downside with only a possible good side.

Changing our heading and approach vector changes nothing about the end result. We're still headed for the same place, only now the TSAB realizes we have access to their comm channels. This might send them into a panic even more. This time there's no up side, but possible downsides.

Bugging out means abandoning the mission. Game over in regards to the Cradle fight, and the possible addition of betraying the sectret base's location to everyone.

Lastly, we can continue on and engage the Cradle. This carries the risk of us being attacked by our own troops, but if we're lucky we can engage the Cradle before any considerable firepower *cough*Hayate*cough* is brought to bear. Once we've engaged the Cradle, our friendlies will realize that we're not what they should be concerned about right now, and though we might not get the protection I initially hoped for, we still retain the element of surprise and avoid getting shot at. Unless of course someone decides we are to be taken out alongside the Cradle.

It will probably help if we don't start popping any Hammers when we arrive. Taking down TSAB mages won't really encourage them to label us as a friendly.

So A for me.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 09:46   Link #16675
arkhangelsk

Ultimately, the problem is more how ATC will weigh everything. But the way I see it, if we have Mach 15 speed at low level, it so far exceeds anything the TSABbies have that my only concern would be the ship, which hopefully would be able to handle such a target speed since it is supposed to be a space combatant. Neither the drones or the mages can reasonably engage us as per canon abilities. Even after the "buffs" given to them by ATC (or you), we should still have a HUGE safety margin on this regard.

So, if by B we mean getting out of the likely zone of observation for the satellite, I'll say go for it. If we get acquired given weak TSABbie concepts of security (for some reason now they got voice radio encryption but it can't be worth much in relative terms if a fighter comms suite breaks it in real time...), it is at least possible that the downlink of our coordinates would be intercepted. In which case we'll be engaged the moment we pop up above the horizon, with THEM being able to cut seconds off their acquire-track-fire cycles because of datalinked data.

It is unlikely the TSABbies can firmly link our evasion to the fact we intercepted them. All they can know easily is that we've disappeared from the zone of observation. Even if they DID go so far as to label us hostile, they've got no assets that can engage us unless we fly straight at them.

After evading the satellite, set up our final approach so as to bring us out of their critical angles. Critical Angle is Qkr=arc sin (Vl / Vk), with Vk being our speed (about 5100m/s) and Vl being the speed of Middie mages, or their beams. If we generously assume Vl as about 600m/s (close to Mach 2), then critical angle is less than 7 degrees (<6.76). In other words, we aim straight for an intercept course to our Cradle, and then lead or lag that by 7 degrees, and we should be safe from engagement by anything other than the ship's guns. (For more margin, assume Vl as 900m/s, then Qkr is <10.165 degrees). (From Khvoshch, Tactics of Submarines), p.210).
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 10:53   Link #16676
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
It's that time again...

RadiantBeam and I are proud to present...

Day in the Life

Chapter 23

Partners

Also, long chapter, broken up into multiple posts again.

Spoiler for Partners:

Continued in the next post...

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 10:56   Link #16677
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Continuing...

Spoiler for Partners PT II:

Spoiler for Notes:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 11:01   Link #16678
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Continuing...

Spoiler for Partners PT II:

Spoiler for Notes:
T_T It's so beautiful. Teana thought she was one of Subaru's one-night...wait a minute...
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 12:24   Link #16679
Tabasco

Quote:
Oops. The fog of war strikes again.

B for me.

Change heading to clear the area, then swing back on course. They might know something is out there, but if they don't know my approach vector they'll be hard pressed to stop me before I'm in range.

Quote:
It's that time again...

RadiantBeam and I are proud to present...

Day in the Life

Chapter 23

Partners

Also, long chapter, broken up into multiple posts again.

Spoiler for Partners:

Continued in the next post...
Nicely done.

I like lesbian couples/threesomes as much as the next guy. But what I like in this chapter, and story for that matter, is that they aren't used gratuitously. There's some thought and development going on under the skin, and I firmly approve of that.

Last edited by Tabasco; 2009-10-10 at 13:14. Reason: Finished update
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:30   Link #16680
Jimmy C

Quote:
These things... They aren't too smart for anything but battle... Stripped of nearly anything but the most basic AIs... They'll grow, but then they need to have their AIs stripped again... But they're able to allow any weak mage to use magic that you'd expect from an A-rank mage or higher.
I can't tell how you wanted the idea for this type of Device to go, but Devices of all kinds (other than Unison) do not provide power for spell casting. That all comes from the mage. As a result, an C-rank would only be able to power spells up to C-rank level, whether he's using a storage device or intelligent device. You could have a sufficiently creative mage use spells to cause physical effects that are out of purportion to their power level, but a veteran mage (like all the ones in Nanoha) can tell that those guys are smart, and not throwing around more power that they should be.
The only cases where devices boost the power of a spell are the cartridge system and the Starlight Breaker, both of which are rather obvious when used.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha