AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-02, 19:51   Link #1
witchbane

Cool Larger Avatars

Could the avatar capacity be increased to at least 150x150?

Last edited by witchbane; 2010-06-02 at 20:23.
Old 2010-06-02, 19:59   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

How about 135 x 100?

ie. allow us to fill the empty space in our posts
Old 2010-06-02, 20:21   Link #3
witchbane

150x150

Looks good, right?
Old 2010-06-02, 20:54   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Nope it doesn't.

The main problem with avatars is they take too much vertical space, just look at my post above, 2 lines and its the size of 12. Making it larger only aggravates this. Its not much only 50px extra, yes but if say one has 40 posts or so enabled 50 x 40 becomes 2000 extra pixels to scroll though (oh my). But lets take all settings into consideration shall we. You know why its 100 and not say 110? or 95? (besides the ohmygod its round! lol, we all know its square) Part of the reason is because with a size of 100 added with the size of various elements on the page you can easily put into view 3 short posts.

I'm not saying making posts take exactly the space their contents occupy is better, because its not. No really its not; its one of those things that sounds right, but gets really annoying after oh the first 10minutes. You may marvel at youtube comments if you wish. You'll notice it becomes a pain if you read too much since they are all so compact. I frankly doubt there is a person alive who actually would not be annoyed reading such compact comments (if of course I mean he would venture into readings pages of them).

If it sound like I'm glorifying 100px I'm not. Its only really good because its familiar and common (probably one of the most common), and for what its worth there are various elements in the very design of the post that take substantial space as is. Other smaller less intrusive (but equally common) sizes like what was it 45px? or 48px? 85? and some pruning of useless junk would probably be more ideal. [edit] Actually if I'm not mistaken the default for vBulletin (we're not using) was actually 60px.

Answer me this: why do you want it bigger? I already stated the advantages for why one would want it smaller.
Old 2010-06-02, 21:29   Link #5
witchbane

Larger avatars allow for more detail.

Look - you can fit much more of a picture in a 150x150 space.

The winner is clear. It's the 150x150 avatar.

And no, it won't stretch out the forum vertically. Trust me.
Old 2010-06-02, 22:01   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Its anime. We define it by lack of detail, by definition. The space issue is also a short-post issue, so yeah not something to put all marbles on but not completely with out significance either.

Also. You may resize.

Size is not what I would call detail. A black square 100 by 100 is not more or less detailed then a black square 150 by 150.

[edit] why 150 anyway? why not 175px to make it so it fills the entire space with equal margins on both sides?
Old 2010-06-02, 22:25   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Increasing the vertical height of an avatar will not cause you to scroll more. Look at the message itself. Look at the large amount of empty space beneath the avatar in said message.

I frequent another vBulletin forum, NotebookReview.com, and they do not have the same avatar size limits that Animesuki Forums do. I do not find myself scrolling more frequently there than I do here, because generally, the message and the person's signature will be taller than even an avatar with 400 vertical pixels!

Blame the LCD makers and idiot end-users who hate black bars for forcing the industry to move to 16:9 aspect ratio.

I personally don't mind 100x100 pixel avatars, because most of the ones I use I've recycled from LiveJournal, and their limit is also 100x100.

What annoys me is the rare forum that demands less than 100x100, because I have no ready-made avatars for those sites!
Old 2010-06-02, 23:54   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I would love to agree with you, but there are plenty of posts and plenty of threads with plenty of short as well as long posts; either exclusively or side by side. We can't just ignore one or the other can we. With regard to signatures, while logically false => false is true, in the real world two wrongs does not make a right.

The current solution satisfies both. Find a alternative that satisfies both.
Old 2010-06-03, 02:30   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think that even if you tried, you couldn't find something that I would care less about :P
Anyway, to be useful to this thread: Yes, the size limits could be increased, but you'll have to present valid arguments as to why the current situation is in need of change.
Old 2010-06-03, 09:57   Link #10
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Isn't this setting the courtesy of vBulletin? In other words, unchangeable by AniSuki staff?

Anyway, why larger? 100×100 is quite enough, I'd say. It's a forum, not an imagefest.
Old 2010-06-03, 11:30   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Its very much changeable. Also 60x60 is the default.
Old 2010-06-03, 14:28   Link #12
Theowne
耳をすませば

There's a certain point where forums become imageboards more than discussion forums, and that point is when everyone's posts are littered with distractingly large avatars and signatures. I've already seen this happen elsewhere, but Animesuki manages to avoid this with their rules. The avatar size is just fine for me and seems to work perfectly well for most people. It's also large enough to be useful while small enough not to consume too much space.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-06-03, 16:33   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbane View Post
Larger avatars allow for more detail.

Look - you can fit much more of a picture in a 150x150 space.

The winner is clear. It's the 150x150 avatar.
Resizing.... works wonders. That argument lacks substance. Besides, most of us are here to read what people have to *say*. I see you just joined - lurk a while and read the forum rules.

I will say that given the size of the other content in the avatar area frame and given the allowed sizing of signatures.... 150x150 doesn't seem like it'd mess up too much (seems to fit in the existing space just eyeballing it).

I just don't see any point in changing it because people do amazing stuff with the existing format and I wonder how much extra file space would be involved for something that is basically a sparkly.

edit: I see felix already did the "hard work" of resizing Azunyan.
Old 2010-06-03, 16:44   Link #14
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I'd give a negative on making the limits bigger. I already had it with humongous avatars on other forums and not to mention wallpaper sized signatures. Ain't needed. AS ava limits are fine as is.

Old 2010-06-03, 16:48   Link #15
witchbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Its anime. We define it by lack of detail, by definition. The space issue is also a short-post issue, so yeah not something to put all marbles on but not completely with out significance either.

Also. You may resize.

Size is not what I would call detail. A black square 100 by 100 is not more or less detailed then a black square 150 by 150.

[edit] why 150 anyway? why not 175px to make it so it fills the entire space with equal margins on both sides?
That looks like crap. Like I said, more detail.
Old 2010-06-03, 16:50   Link #16
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Like I said, more detail.
Heck, let's change the limit to 90000x90000. Then we can have even more detail!

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-06-03, 16:54   Link #17
witchbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Heck, let's change the limit to 90000x90000. Then we can have even more detail!
Please refrain from being a baby.
Old 2010-06-03, 17:01   Link #18
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I find it rather amusing that 17 minutes after creating an account with the forum that someone makes their very first post requesting that the avatar size is increased.

We are not going to change anytime in the near future. 100 x 100 pixels may be small compared to a number of other forums around but as has been stated in a number of posts above, we actually prefer to be a discussion forum than an image board.
Old 2010-06-03, 17:20   Link #19
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Its very much changeable. Also 60x60 is the default.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I find it rather amusing that 17 minutes after creating an account with the forum that someone makes their very first post requesting that the avatar size is increased.

We are not going to change anytime in the near future. 100 x 100 pixels may be small compared to a number of other forums around but as has been stated in a number of posts above, we actually prefer to be a discussion forum than an image board.
And thank you for managing these forums reasonably.
Old 2010-06-03, 18:59   Link #20
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
That looks like crap. Like I said, more detail.
What is your definition of detail. Because that smaller 100x100 image contains the same exact amount of detail as the bigger one you are so bent on trying to get. As people have already stated this isn't an image board and avatars don't need to be big eye sores.

All that has been said about the issue of why it wont change has been said, so I suggest to just leave it be.
Closed Thread